2021 DLC Character Discussion (The Sequel)

10 minutes ago, Dr.Medic said:

you know at this point it can realy be anything i feel like it can be human not human male female young middle aged or old can be a character from singleplayer can be based of a creature or it can even be warbucks as far as we know it can realy be anything i think

Could even be Wagstaff.. since the one we see in Eye of Storm is a Hologram and the real dude got sucked in during Winona’s short.

The only problem with coming up with new characters is....what haven't they done already?

Species-wise They've done:

• Human
  • Spider
  • Pig
  • Merm
  • Plant
  • Demon
  • Robot
  • Ghost (technically)
  • Monkey
  • Were-whatever
  • Etc.

As for role-wise we have:

• Builders/Inventors
  • Royalty
  • Warriors
  • Chef
  • Pyromaniac
  • Librarian
  • Boy Scout
  • Explorer
  • Magician
  • Forager
  • Mime
  • Etc.

/Although personally, I don't really care what they do with the new character as long as it's original and doesn't feel forced in terms of design and mechanics.

5 minutes ago, minespatch said:

That's why I'm shocked Klei is making another character than just focus on their established characters.

some characters would be hard to add without heavy modifications, like woodlegs and walani

wilba and wilbur could be good but i feel like they'd go through a similar problem with wormwood about how some of their features would be barred and they wouldnt be as usable as they are in their dlcs (i love wormwood though, so they could be interesting)

and i personally dont know much about wheeler but she could work

less certain about wagstaff since he's an npc and also falls under the same niche as winona but we will see

9 hours ago, Lumberlocke said:

Hala Waverly'nin bir cadı olarak sonsuz potansiyel getirebileceğini düşünüyorum, kesinlikle oyunun bilim ve sihir ortamının daha az kullanılan "sihirli" yarısından faydalanırdı. Wickerbottom'dan alıp almayacağından emin değilim, ama yine de Wicker henüz bir yenileme almadı, bu yüzden belki ikisini yeterince farklı kılabilirler. 

Waverly+1

16 hours ago, Dragolantis said:

I actually forgot about the scrapped characters. I hope many of them can be implemented in some way, though I understand why some can't (With some characters evolving into others, like Wallace to Woodlegs and Winnie to Wigfrid)

The last skin set made me think of Winnie. A character who has some special perks in regards to monsters and / or neutral creatures or some special abilities related to farming could be fun and interesting! Especially after the revamped farming. Not a super farmer, because that would be boring, but someone with some unique interactions with certain items or beings, since that is almost always nice.

image.png.8aa37530fe8a29913294058a9389f5a3.pngimage.png.9071b70cda3a205b5a6bff5e75830c3b.pngimage.png.210f9d3cb51bbc723500099f253315f5.png

image.png.2b02a901e2af690d630302773c53c22f.png

Info about the scrapped character Winnie:

https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Unimplemented_Characters#Winnie

PS. Those wooden chests with flower motifs scream Slavic / Polish / Easter European decor, although I could be wrong.

.... which could be related either to the upcoming summer event or said cultures, which have rich farming traditions.

image.png

Whatever this new 2021 character will be, I just hope for the attributes to resemble more Wigfrid's design and less Wurt's and Walter's (even though Walter is my co-main, alongside Willow, for his sniping & "glassy canon" properties alone: could've done well without sanity-negation perk - both from positive and negative sources, clothes and mobs alike, Camper's Tent, cooking over fire faster, getting sanity from trees proximity, extra bees damage, or being able to use Willow's Lighter to cook foods; if he had Sniping as main bon, getting-hurt insanity as con, plus Campfire Stories and Woby, that would've been enough), aka "not bloated and all over the place". Pros and cons need to be more centered, well rounded, clear and neat, simple in design and execution, once more - like Wigfrid's (that even with her songs "rework", nothing much was added in a mandatory sense, thus her very-good design ethos is ok, remained intact).

11 hours ago, SkyistheGround said:

some characters would be hard to add without heavy modifications, like woodlegs and walani

wilba and wilbur could be good but i feel like they'd go through a similar problem with wormwood about how some of their features would be barred and they wouldnt be as usable as they are in their dlcs (i love wormwood though, so they could be interesting)

and i personally dont know much about wheeler but she could work

less certain about wagstaff since he's an npc and also falls under the same niche as winona but we will see

I thought wheeler could be added but then you remember her only perks really are her dodge (Which is essentially a worse Soul Hop) and her pewomatic whatever it's called (Basically Walters Slingshot but can use almost anything as ammo).

14 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Could even be Wagstaff.. since the one we see in Eye of Storm is a Hologram and the real dude got sucked in during Winona’s short.

Same with Wagstaff, his features have all been given to other characters and items aside from his spectoggles and fryfocals. Don't believe me?, his ability to see hentai better is modified and given to Wurt, the thumper takes away from Woodie and Maxwell and gunpowder (and always has)  his infroggles are essentially a Wagstaff exclusive moggles, and even his telipad and telibrella can even be said to be given to something else, as they loosely resemble lazy explorers and desert stones. So even if they did add him, they would essentially either keep him as is, and basically take away from a bunch of characters, or basically make a whole new Wagstaff for DST.

22 hours ago, Wardin25 said:

This is a game, dont mix gender things with entertainment

also I know that people didnt just start turning gay this decade, but I dont think there were many people identifying as something more than homo at the time the game is set in

Earlier in the thread someone else requested more old man characters. Same thing, really. Nice requests, both. If one is more common or whatever it's just as lovely to see, I'm sure.

I think they decided against her, and then modified her mechanics for Webber (Excited for his rework) and modified her design for Wigfrid (Boo Wigfrid Rework)

2 minutes ago, Blue Moth said:

If Klei adds Winnie, i hope they redesign her so she doesn't look like Wigfrid.

5 hours ago, Dragolantis said:

I thought wheeler could be added but then you remember her only perks really are her dodge (Which is essentially a worse Soul Hop) and her pewomatic whatever it's called (Basically Walters Slingshot but can use almost anything as ammo).

Agree very much. Just adding that Wheeler also has a compass which allows you to find items, structures or mobs. But even in the DLC's that is not super useful, and if that, only in the first year. It's generally really tough to make an exploration-oriented character remain interesting in a game where exploring is not hard or the main point.

2 minutes ago, sinisterrkid said:

Agree very much. Just adding that Wheeler also has a compass which allows you to find items, structures or mobs. But even in the DLC's that is not super useful, and if that, only in the first year. It's generally really tough to make an exploration-oriented character remain interesting in a game where exploring is not hard or the main point.

I forgot about the compass. Which is very situational. but may be the only thing worth adding her for

On 5/17/2021 at 1:44 PM, Dragolantis said:

I actually forgot about the scrapped characters. I hope many of them can be implemented in some way, though I understand why some can't (With some characters evolving into others, like Wallace to Woodlegs and Winnie to Wigfrid)

they are unimplemented for a reason

Just now, Blue Moth said:

i'd like to flip that question on its head: can a robot not be nonbinary?

Well I could be wrong as again I'm not sure about this which is why I'm asking but I thought something had to be alive in some form to be either binary or non binary.

9 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

Well I could be wrong as again I'm not sure about this which is why I'm asking but I thought something had to be alive in some form to be either binary or non binary.

WX may not be the organic definition of alive, but they are a person like the rest of the characters. But also, none of the cast is truly alive, just code and art assets. So WX is definitely non-binary.

Archived