2021 DLC Character Discussion (The Sequel)

Yes, I wanna talk about this again. Now what seems like waaay back in January when we got the 2021 Roadmap a DLC character was announced to be in the works. I had a discussion on this before were we speculated what it could be. Since then though things have come up that I wished I did in the discussion and new information that I know will get some people going. EoTS added Wagstaff to DST not as a playable character but as an NPC, and many people doubt he will be coming as a playable character now. I also want to ask, @JoeW, if I may, if this is a new character or a port from DS or one of it's DLCs. With the year being almost half-over now, with us being in the middle of may, the rest of the updates are not far away, and I look forward to them.

- Dragolantis 

6 minutes ago, bruhmoment23 said:

It'll probably be a paid DLC character like Wortox and Wurt. Nowhere was it stated that this DLC character will be ported from DS.

And nowhere is it stated that it won't be ported from DS

10 minutes ago, Dragolantis said:

"One new DLC character." 

That's what is written in the roadmap, by new i would imagine something like Walter. When Wormwood and Warly were announced, they were clearly shown and not kept in the dark, why would a ported character not have exact same treatment as them? By that i mean already appear announced in the roadmap.

While both of them are considered DLC characters, they're also refreshes, but i suppose in the end it falls to your own interpretation of the word "new".

Just now, bruhmoment23 said:

"One new DLC character." 

That's what is written in the roadmap, by new i would imagine something like Walter. When Wormwood and Warly were announced, they were clearly shown and not kept in the dark, why would a ported character not have exact same treatment as them? By that i mean announced in the roadmap.

While both of them are considered DLC characters, they're also refreshes, but i suppose in the end it falls to your own interpretation of the word "new".

Yeah I guess. I also love how we've all just been discussing whether or not it's a port or a new character instead of speculating what they could be

I still think Waverly could bring endless potential as a witch, she'd certainly tap into the lesser used "magic" half of the game's science and magic setting. Not sure if she would take away from Wickerbottom, but then again Wicker still has yet to receive a refresh, so maybe they could make the two of them different enough. 

1 minute ago, Lumberlocke said:

I still think Waverly could bring endless potential as a witch, she'd certainly tap into the lesser used "magic" half of the game's science and magic setting. Not sure if she would take away from Wickerbottom, but then again Wicker still has yet to receive a refresh, so maybe they could make the two of them different enough. 

I actually forgot about the scrapped characters. I hope many of them can be implemented in some way, though I understand why some can't (With some characters evolving into others, like Wallace to Woodlegs and Winnie to Wigfrid)

i think a new character could be fun. the rest of the characters in the solo dlcs would be fine, but most of them would suffer outside their dlcs without heavy modification i feel

as much as i love monster/non-human characters, i can understand how some people wouldn't like the recent trend of them

though if it is going to be another monster/non-human, i wanna see more like wx, worotx, and wormwood, creatures that are based on another species thats not already established in the constant, with new abilities other then "they can befriend x mosnter" (i ADORE webber and wurt, but right now it feels like their characters are just about that. cant wait for webber rework)

i'd also love a new human!! and one filling a niche unfilled, maybe a miner character, or a character that dives into magic on a deeper/different level then wickerbottom's and maxwell's book(s). 

Awhile ago I wanted a DLC character that was a member of the MacTusk family, but then Walter came out and has any upside I would want from a new character (ranged combat & nomad potential), so I'd say a magic character is welcome.

I really like the non-humans simply from a design standpoint. The Don't Starve humans are great and honestly probably my favorite cast of humans in a video game, but non-humans simply lend themselves better to more absurdist, entertaining, and unique playstyles with interesting perspectives, which I assume is what they'd want for DLC. They could have easily taken the fundamentals of Wormwood's kit (can plant seeds anywhere, is great with crops, doesn't like hurting flora, and is friends with plants) and just slapped it onto a human character whose profession is a gardener, and that would have been fun. But no, they didn't do that, and instead they made Wormwood himself a plant which led to so so so many more opportunities for perks and disadvantages such as blooming and no health via foods. They took an interesting playstyle and made it ten times more unique, all because he's not a human. 

We've gotten Wortox, Wormwood and Wurt in DST, but people also seem to forget that we also got Winona, Warly and Walter? We're literally even-stevens as far as new monster/human additions go. I can 100% understand why people don't like the monsters but not only have we gotten just as many humans newcomers as monsters in DST, but there's also just a bigger number of humans in general. More monsters wouldn't hurt.

I didn't mean to turn this into a human vs monster discussion but I just wanted to throw my hat into the ring on that topic. As for the 2021 DLC character, I'm betting on it being somebody entirely new like Wurt, and not a singleplayer character like Wormwood or an unimplemented character like Wortox. Whether they're human or not, only time will tell.

1 hour ago, LinknAllie said:

I don't really care how the character would play but I still want an old man character.  Someone like Wallace or perhaps Wagstaff

I seriously doubt we'll get Wagstaff now, and I'm 90% sure Woodlegs' appearance is based on Wallace, though he could be added to DST, we know nothing about his character other than what we can assume from his appearance.

51 minutes ago, BezKa said:

I just hope that we get more NB characters.

Why do I get the feeling I'm being dumb when asking this but what is NB?

2 minutes ago, Dragolantis said:

I seriously doubt we'll get Wagstaff now, and I'm 90% sure Woodlegs' appearance is based on Wallace, though he could be added to DST, we know nothing about his character other than what we can assume from his appearance.

Why do I get the feeling I'm being dumb when asking this but what is NB?

NB means non-binary

anyone with a gender that doesn't fit within the boy-girl binary

33 minutes ago, SkyistheGround said:

NB means non-binary

anyone with a gender that doesn't fit within the boy-girl binary

This is a game, dont mix gender things with entertainment

also I know that people didnt just start turning gay this decade, but I dont think there were many people identifying as something more than homo at the time the game is set in

3 minutes ago, Wardin25 said:

also I know that people didnt just start turning gay this decade, but I dont think there were many people identifying as something more than homo at the time the game is set in

I think the same, the most important thing in this game is to have fun and that the creators give us new and good quality content, it is not necessary that each of us be represented in the game, but there must always be respect for all

38 minutes ago, Wardin25 said:

No use discussing it so thoroughly. If Klei adds a character or doesn't, we'll have to deal with it either way. 

I just wish there were more, that's all. Won't be mad if there aren't. 

Just now, Wardin25 said:

If it makes you fell better I ship Winona with that girl from the trailer that got suspiciously sad when Winona didnt come out of the factory

I don't need to feel better about anything, good for you tho

I would a character that leads the player to try the different mechanics in the game. When I first tryed Warly, meatball was the only recipe I knew by heart. Playing Warly felt like a totally new Don't Starve, and I hope that Klei gives us a character in this same fashion. 

4 hours ago, Dragolantis said:

image.png.81b7ae9f3f7963a7e68c2ff1003deb5a.png
Fret not.

I just hope we get an adult human character, the monsters were neat but I feel like they're stale and really tore away what made Webber unique.
And the children, there's an awkward amount of them for a survival game and I just feel it'd be nice to get an older face sometime soon.

you know at this point it can realy be anything i feel like it can be human not human male female young middle aged or old can be a character from singleplayer can be based of a creature or it can even be warbucks as far as we know it can realy be anything i think

Archived