• Antlion
    • Toadstool (Misery and Normal Forme)
    • Shadow Pieces (All 3 of them)
    • Ancient Fuelweaver
    • Malbatross
    • Crab King
    • Lord of The Fruit Flies
    • Celestial Champion (All 3 Phases)
  4. 4. What bosses have the best artistic design?

• Treeguard
    • Spider Queen
    • Deerclops
    • MGoose
    • Dragonfly
    • Bearger
    • Ancient Guardian
    • Klaus (Normal and Enraged)
    • Bee Queen
    • Antlion
    • Toadstool (Misery and Normal Forme)
    • Shadow Pieces (All 3 of them)
    • Ancient Fuelweaver
    • Malbatross
    • Crab King
    • Lord of The Fruit Flies
    • Celestial Champion (All 3 Phases)

Glory to the strongest and "beautifulest" Boss of the constant: The one and unique Toadstool.

This big fat ugly frog with three dumb eyes and poisonous shroom on his body is absolutely gorgeous !

Included with an aditional form : The holy Misery Toadstool.

Should we talk about his loot ? The beautifulest structure of the game, the mushlights.

I know everybody hate him but in my heart, he will always be the best !

Spoiler

1533732334_Capturedcran2021-05-08184450.thumb.png.e67984107fa3db8eb348c37c7606fb90.png

So cute when he is sleeping :wilson_love:

i really like the celestial bossfight it feels like a real boss other than "hit hit run... hit hit run..." he has phases and different movesets and i love his design soooo much with the out of this world vibe he gives its just amazing and is definitely my favorite boss

I like the chaotic cooperative nature of Bee Queen's fight. She's my favorite boss to fight in a group. I especially like how she uses a unique form of armor as the most effective way to fight her, being Beekeeper Hats. :biggrin-new:

Bee Queen, Klaus, and the Ancient Fuelweaver are my 3 favorite fights. Bee Queen & the Ancient Fuelweaver are the 2 hardest fights, and Klaus is one of the easiest.

I haven't done the Celestial Champion yet so I don't know how hard he is.

2 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

Especially Fuelweaver healing like 300 hp per woven shadow.

It's actually 400 per. : P

Fuelweaver is an odd one for me. It's my favorite fight because of how it rewards you for both being skilled and being aggressive. Fuelweaver only has 16K HP, so if you can manage the woven shadows/unseen hands well, you can kill fuelweaver in under 6-7 minutes. The main issue is said crowd control for woven shadows relies on the weather pain, which is absolutely terrible for console, or catapults, which are a mixed bag for people (it basically removes them from the fight entirely, which I personally am okay with past the first kill, but it's not for everyone).

As for the general discussion:

• Since I already covered weaver being my favorite, my second favorite is rapidly becoming the champion. I absolutely adore how the fight is done. The first phase is super easy, but it feels intentional that it is, especially with how much stronger the 2nd phase and up are. It can certainly take you by surprise if you never did the fight before. In addition, I also like how it's a fight mainly based on skill. The only thing you really need for the fight is a 25% speed boost or higher (cane/road are good instances). Everything else is up to the player, which I really like for final fights like this. You can certainty make the fight easier, but it's still going to be hard!
  • Sadly, ROT also introduced CK, which is unfortunately my least favorite fight solo by a longshot. My main gripe is the gem balance is very poor, especially blue/orange ones being particularly dangerous. It's also especially punishing as a solo player, as it only takes 1-2 mistakes and it costs you the entire fight. Granted, it's basically a "one and done deal" like misery toad and it's way better with friends (in fact, it's probably one of my favorite fights with friends) but I still don't like how locked you are if you wish to solo the boss.
  • CK would take the strongest as you can make the freeze eternal with blue/opal gems, but that's boring, so I'm going with enraged klaus. It can take serious punishment from players/bosses, and dishes out some incredible high damage dealing hits, especially it's infamous chomp + 2 swipes move. The only thing that stands up to it is toad/misery toad, and only because of how the sporecaps give it armor that rivals klaus.
  • The guardian is my personal favorite lore/design wise (sad I can't say the same about it's fight...). A good 2nd is the shadow pieces. I find it clever that you fight 3 weak versions of them at once, and progressively scaling it to 1 main boss. Plus, they have unique spritework for each form, and the rook/bishop do some unique animations for their attacks.

3 minutes ago, Maxil20 said:

It's actually 400 per. : P

Oof even worse.

Fuelweaver is an odd one for me. It's my favorite fight because of how it rewards you for both being skilled and being aggressive. Fuelweaver only has 16K HP, so if you can manage the woven shadows/unseen hands well, you can kill fuelweaver in under 6-7 minutes. The main issue is said crowd control for woven shadows relies on the weather pain, which is absolutely terrible for console, or catapults, which are a mixed bag for people (it basically removes them from the fight entirely, which I personally am okay with past the first kill, but it's not for everyone).

Yeah Im on console and don't like character swapping :(

Can you really call Treeguards and Spider Queens a boss though? They would be more like “Elite” enemies in an RPG game- they’re like comparing a Skag to a Bad**Mutha Shock Skag.

Theyre so common I wouldn’t consider them as bosses.

My biggest problems with boss fights in this game of ALL GAMES IVE EVER PLAYED is- “What the heck is even the point?”

Seriously- most bosses in this game reward you with crafts or other items that help you stay alive easier- if that’s your cup of tea FINE

But I’m old school- I’m from an Era where bosses were used as progression blockades- If you don’t kill this boss, then you don’t escape this level to the next one.. etc..

This isn’t like say the Old Resident Evil games where killing a boss drops a color coded key card used to unlock a passage that previously wasn’t accessible Fighting bosses in DST seem to largely be a “Just for the Heck of it.” thing.

Entirely optional and Entirely Avoidable.

Go play Batman Arkham Asylum or Arkham City those are great examples of Boss fights done right when Batman fights Solomon Grundy in Arkham Asylum it’s because he’s fallen through the floor of the Iceberg lounge and if he doesn’t down Grundy- Grundys downing him.

Even the NEWEST Boss fight seems to be a “What the heck is even the point?” With it’s only purposes seeming to be: 

Spoiler

To stop the Moonstorm event and to give the player an Infinite light source crown.

I mean sure there’s some story here with Wagstaff or something but unless future content plans to explain The Who’s the What’s & the Why’s... it’s all just another completely optional boss fight you can do or ignore.

I suppose for some people items that make staying alive easier IS the reward.

But personally I would prefer less focus on boss fights, and more focus on new or updated biomes, mobs, and mechanics.

I want to explore randomly generated worlds full of all sorts of hostile things that hate me and want me to die & the more of that Klei can provide me, the happier I will be.

Shake up the meta a little bit- give us “Archipelago” World Gen options already or make each of these bosses drop a color coded key and each key is used to open up a doorway to New Game Plus mode on a new world.

For now my favorite boss is Klaus just because of having to deal with heat and cold craters at the same time.. I don’t even care what loot he drops his fight is fun & unique gameplay.

And my least favorite is Ancient Guardian- if this is supposed to be some end game fight... he’s really weak and doesn’t have any unique gameplay mechanics to his fight.. literally felt like I was just fighting a re-skinned Beefalo or a Clockwork Rook.

Dragonfly has way too much health, unique fight... but too easy to cheese out- AND the loot it drops (scaled furnace) makes staying alive a joke.. or it has a % chance to drop an egg for a purely cosmetic pet den critter.

My favourite boss is Deerclops. Just because he was the first boss that I fought... ehm... died to.
...and every single time i fight him (which is the most often out of any boss) i feel nostalgia for the times when i was a noob in this game.

Even, when he is one of the easiest, he isn't easy for new players and can still make a pretty good mess in a public server. And if you come to save the day in public, you'll be seen as a hero.

Also I personally love that you can't choose when to fight him and that he basically comes to your doorstep.

i-am-the-one-who-knocks.gif

1 minute ago, Tranoze said:

You can know when he respawn though.

Yeah, tbh i have a bit mixed feelings about that. On one hand i like that i know when to leave what i'm doing and join others. On the other i'd kinda like the unpredictability. Still, he's my fav of all of them.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Only on default settings maybe.

I like to play on random seasons and season lengths. I love the unpredictability 

I know you really like to say you play on random seasons and random season lengths in every single thread, but you can still predict when he's going to spawn on that just the same.

Best boss fight is Klaus. The one boss that I avoid cheesing.

Other fun boss fights are Dfly, Fuelweaver, and Shadow pieces. MooseGoose also since it uses the spring boss theme which is catchy and Clopsy with the winter theme which is stress inducing when you first encounter her.

Worst fight is Bee Queen. Flies around erratically and minions last throughout the whole fight. She also breaks any cc you do on the minions. Catapults always after getting the orb.

Other awful fights are Bearger cuz disarm and aggro inconsistency. Toadstool and Crab King due to tedium and boring AoE attacks. Malbatross cuz it makes me chase it if it gets a chance to move. Lastly Antlion due to being mandatory if you like mega base building during summer.

1 minute ago, Tuesday Pidgeon said:

I don't really fight many bosses (due to me being terrible at combat) but Fuelweaver's design is just so amazing. 

yeah celestial champion and fuel weaver are the best designed bosses imo

On 5/8/2021 at 1:50 PM, kuroite said:

Glory to the strongest and "beautifulest" Boss of the constant: The one and unique Toadstool.

This big fat ugly frog with three dumb eyes and poisonous shroom on his body is absolutely gorgeous !

Included with an aditional form : The holy Misery Toadstool.

Should we talk about his loot ? The beautifulest structure of the game, the mushlights.

I know everybody hate him but in my heart, he will always be the best !

Hide contents

1533732334_Capturedcran2021-05-08184450.thumb.png.e67984107fa3db8eb348c37c7606fb90.png

So cute when he is sleeping :wilson_love:

Toadstool sure has an artistic look that sells it for me, Not a big fan of the fight but I love how sketchy and cool he looks

Archived