How was your first time playing DS/T?

As the title says, I wanna read stories about everyone's experiences when they first got the game, be it DS or DST. I'll also share mine.

I first found the game on the Chrome Store. Of course, that version of DS was just a free trial that you can only play for 1 in-game day.
First day. I walked around, not knowing what to do. Grass? Twigs? Mushrooms? Sure, I'll just pick anything that will satisfy my hunger. I walked and walked, the world looked so peaceful. I made campfires, cooked some food, picked flowers... then dusk falls.

I see a tiny down arrow on my sanity meter. "What's that supposed to do with my survival?" I thought. I then proceeded to do everything I did earlier: Find food, and explore around thinking there were no dangers, and my only objective was one thing: Don't Starve.

Night falls. I didn't make a torch or any light source, I thought I'd be fine during the night. Just then, a loud wooooosh came by! What was that?! It took 67% of my healthbar, but since I was too young to estimate whether that's half or not, I thought I could take another hit. Or could I?... That wind sound rang through my ears again, and... there it is. The sun rises, then there's just a dead man, lying dead on the ground. Classic death from the grue right there.

Next attempt, short version: I ate green caps. GREEN CAPS. Of course I still thought the "brain icon" does nothing. But just when the insanity ambience kicked in, I started to think that was a bad idea. There's no more to my second survival attempt though, as I could only play for one in-game day.

That's my first 2 worlds on the free version.

Also, here's the proof that the Chrome version existed:

image.thumb.png.e519802994f487d46ec39cb0b0f7df89.png

I'd seen a little bit of people playing Don't Starve on Youtube and decided it looked like a game I would like, so I bought it on Wii U. I knew a little bit about the game from watching other people play, but not a lot. I picked some carrots, built a campfire, and cooked them. They fell on the ground next to the fire as I cooked each one, because I was playing with a Wii U controller, and my inventory was full. I thought, "I'll pick those up in just a second after I finish cooking the rest of these." As I cooked the last one, they all burst into flame and turned to inedible ash before my eyes.

My very first world in DST's closed beta via the founder's pack consisted of me playing Wilson, joining mid winter, running to a campfire with a Wolfgang who told me to go away. I left, died, and haunted him. 

His final words, "you are idoit" in that exact spelling, before he died of starvation. :distrust:

I bought on the wiiu way back when it first came out in 2015. I don't remember much about the first few days but I remember being obsessed.  I remember trying to calculate how many farm plots I possibly needed to build before winter lol! Its all I would think about at work. I also remember being extremely scared of destroying pig houses and other structures. I also remember falling for the beefalo trap and dying to them in spring.

Its funny how now I destroy whole ecosystems as I travel.

I'm pretty sure everyone's first experience (Including mine) was dying to Charlie.  After I learned about how darkness worked I then died to starvation.  And that process repeated in every way possible until I fully learned how to play.

Very long ago, before ROG a few of the characters and all that. I cant remember any actual playing aside from trying adventure mode over and over to unlock Maxwell. I played on a laptop with a trackpad, wasn't so bad but my poor computer at the time couldn't handle the Next Gen Graphics sometimes and made the game slow. Sadly that laptop doesnt charge anymore otherwise id go look and see what my saves were like.

I started playing in 2017 after watching my sibling play, It looked fun due to the style and how hard it looked. When I started I knew somethings at first (like making fires, watching sanity and eating). My first death was the hound wave because I did not expect it to happen. 

My first experience was thrilling, and soon I became an addict to this game.

I saw a fanart of don't starve in an art group in facebook. It intrigued me until I found out that deerclops exists and got intimidated by him that I never played the game. I was reintroduced by foekoe and decided to finally face my fears and play the game. I keep basing in the meteor fields for some reason lol.I remember getting a tallbird fortress and spider quarry near each other as wigfrid yet I still died to starvation

It was in 2013 so I don't really remember. I just remember that I was really bad at it and for some reason didn't understand how the mods I was using were not fair. If I saw 2013 me right now today I would pick him up and punt him like a football.

Not the first days of me playing DST, but I want to share:

I remember when I was still starting out but a little bit more experienced, I discovered the Piggyback and I thought it was the greatest item ever because it held so many inventory slots to help me carry around stacks of Boards and Cut Stone (which I don't do anymore), and first thing I would do upon entering a survival world would be to look for Pig Houses to smash just for Pig Skin to craft the Piggyback, and I would try to hoard 2 stacks of grass (40x2), a stack of Boards, a stack of Cut Stone, to try to survive winter in a remote base location. It was way back when ghost players were not yet nerfed, and their sanity drain was ridiculously overpowered, or something about dead players being ridiculously OP, and players kept dying at the start of winter. Also, I thought prototyping and using the Siesta Lean-To during winter was the most amazing backup sanity and health regenerator that no one knew about, since I never saw it being built by anyone, and I still love the Siesta Lean-To to this day since it's so easy to make, with only 2 silk. I don't remember the moment when I discovered that you couldn't sleep in a Siesta Lean-To inside the caves, but I remember that it was a very disheartening moment. :D :wilson_love:

My first time playing Don't Starve...I've told this story here before, but:  I got interested in the game from hearing about it on a podcast that I don't think is still running anymore, and so I--EVENTUALLY--remembered I could watch Let's Plays of games to find out what they're like. (Homer Simpson voice:  "Money can be exchanged for goods and services!")  I watched JackSepticeye's old old playthrough of vanilla DS, then part of Sips's and by then I was convinced that yes, I did want to try this for myself. 
So my first playthrough of Don't Starve was rather boring and disappointingly low on the classic noob-scare everyone-dies-to-this-their-first-time moments you'd expect. Neither Sips nor Jack played WELL, but they did run into things and therefore indirectly told me said things existed/what they do, so I didn't die from:  Darkness on the first night, the first hound wave, stealing a tallbird egg and then having to run in the dark without a torch, pissing off a whole spidernest at once, whacking a beefalo in a herd...

My first playthrough of DS would've been pretty boring to watch--I made it to the night of Day 36 by NOT being stupid or careless.  But in the end, it didn't even matter what still killed me anyway?

Darkness.  :  P  I was in a super-dense forest and couldn't put down my campfire in time. 
But I still made it through winter first try!  :)

My first DS_T_ experience...I'm not sure if this was the FIRST one exactly, but it was AN early one...it was on an official Klei server, there were a LOT of people, we had three different bases spread around the map, and I arrived in winter not too long from when Deerclops was gonna show up. I remember two specific details:  One, we were all wondering _which_ base Clopsy was gonna attack...and then we started getting chat messages from the spider camp in the swamp that it was them, _not_ what WE considered to be "the main base"!  And Two, that at one point somebody dubbed Willow's bear "Bernie Sanders" and said that we'd be okay with his "spirit" watching over us.  : P  I think this might've also been the time I died of insanity-freezing from being chased by a treeguard in winter, because I was a Willow semi-main back in regular DS and hadn't yet come to grips with just HOW bad her nerf in DST _was_...

This would've been...May 2016? I did play during the brief time the earlier design of the twiggy trees existed, and MAN do I wish I had started thinking of taking screenshots then.  (But I didn't, until July.)  My first DS experiences were earlier that year, around February/March.

And that's my first experience(s) playing DS/T. (bows)

...Notorious

i dont remember actual first time, but not long after buying the game i was in a public server with a good amount of people. by the time the middle of winter rolled around, there was a good amount of people.

base at spawn. i did not know how to play the game correctly or how to keep warm, so all i did was dance around the fire.

when deerclops came...

somehow, it seemed(?) like no one in the server knew what to do. we all scattered in a panic, freezing to death, and seeing the screen shake from those stomps and the deerclops's horrible red lazer beam !!
and yeah, we all died... lol

I started with Shipwrecked, I placed my science machine next to the water and it started to short circuit. Don't understand why if it had wooden legs and the water did not touch the electrical part. I died trying to figure out how to fix a science machine.

My first two were nothing special, just me understanding nothing, especially how to craft rope, I just could not figure it out.

My third game was with my friend, we actually made it to winter and were vibing making meatballs out of morsels from rabbits and ice. We had a treeguard friend who just kinda sat around at base with us. On day 30 we were nowhere close to being able to fight Deerclops, our tree friend agro'd on Deerclops and saved out lives, Unfortunately he died in the fight, and deerclops left us alone for some reason. He will always be remembered as a hero

First time I played, I had already watched my friends play for their first few times, so I learned from their first few mistakes; don't go into darkness, get science machine asap, beefalo are very helpful, etc etc.

Anyway, I didn't really want to choose Wilson as the character I'd play because I didn't want to be "basic," so I just looked at the other characters and ultimately chose Winona for her difficulty was "Slim" and she seemed to not have any significant downsides/perks... as if I knew what her perks exactly meant (none of my friends played Winona either, just WX, Walter, Webber, Wendy, and Wigfrid). 

Not much really happened during my first time playing though. I remember my friend suggesting to me that we attack some clockwork knights because they drop valuable gears. Well, I gladly accepted, but I didn't really know that there were kiting patterns (I had only seen my friends attack spiders, which you can stun lock... unlike other mobs--). My friend knew about kiting, but he (a) didn't mention to me that you can't stun lock knights, and (b) he himself didn't know the kiting pattern yet. So we faltered in that battle and retreated once the two of us were each around ~30 health or so. Literally the only interesting thing that happened.

Now, the first time I died was probably my second time playing? I ended up dying to a crawling horror. I've always been kinda bad at keeping my sanity up, and ended up dying while trying to gather materials sometime during late Autumn, before we even reached our first winter. I was following my friend, who was playing Walter, and we were hopping through a bunch of different wormholes. He probably didn't notice the sanity drain from the wormholes because he took none (Walter doesn't lose sanity from wormholes, I'm pretty sure), but I did, and didn't really realize it until my screen became saturated and shadow creatures started showing up. I was a bit nervous and didn't know how to raise my sanity, and at the time I realized, my friend and I were in a rock biome, so we had no flowers at our disposal (I didn't even know picking flowers raise sanity yet anyway). Then a shadow creature started chasing me and I was too much of a scaredy-cat to try to fight back. 

My first time playing was with my friends, as the game was originally bought as a gift so we can play when my friend is yet again screamed at and forbidden from leaving the house. 

It was still Winter Feast back then, and we were extremely confused how chests drop work, and we're often kept alive by the treats mobs dropped. We made the oven pointlessly since we didn't even know how it worked. 

We always died few days into Winter, no food available and never living long enough for Deerclops to spawn. Which is for the better, because imagine us fighting the Laser Deerclops, god... We were so terrible at this game it's unreal. I also remember finding the stash and getting all excited about looking for a key. Never found one, probably for the better. 

After we were done dying over and over together, it was time to die a bit alone. My first server lasted less than 1000 days, though it feels like I spent so long playing on it. I really miss that one because it was a royal mess, but it had the Carrat race track and was the first server I cheesed Klaus on lol. It was before unlimited server slots and I had to delete it. It was also my first attempt at killing werepigs for food and angrily killing spiders I planted right next to my base that tried to kill Chester. I don't think I explored caves in that world, because I got so scared of ancient guardian when I first saw it I just booked it and decided I'll go there with some emotional support :') in the end my friend's never had enough time for me with this stuff and I had to discover everything on my own. 

Archived