Do you think DST should grow so big?

2 minutes ago, RenTheCat said:

But Reign of Giants didn't upgrade any of the characters. I agree Wigfrid and Webber were good characters and they were added in RoG but that's the last of Klei. What Rog changed was the world, Wilson is not more interesting because now he overheats during summer if he has a long beard. In fact, it was after RoG that they completly butchered Wilson character who's examinations were all puns and jokes and made it all "haha science this, science that" "i'm doing this for science" "this is very scientific". And even then i'm not sure Summer and Spring are all that fun, they are different but by the time a server gets to summer everyone will leave or come crying to the forums to beg for Klei to remove or rework summer.

I'm not against the character reworks DST brought, like Willow's, she's more interesting to play as in Together because of Bernie, but we also have to remember it comes with the baggage fo them retconning Willow to be a woman in her 20s because either they wanna ship her with Wilson or some female developer is self inserting, throwing away the artstyle and story for a League of Legends copy is embarrassing.

Also Wormwood and Warly are not game changing and as characters they are not that interesting nor do they fit the DS world, it's literally a moon plant baby that bathes on poop and a chef. Wortox gameplay is fun and new but it's still some super magical imp saying "hyu hyu hyu" in every dialogue, 1900 grim setting down the gutter to have some red furry making rhymes.

wait, if you were talking about character writing and flanderization I think i missintepreted your comment

Also, Wormwood (best boi) gives you the ability to obtain massive ammounts of food without spending half a day tilling the soil, an outstanding sanity management ability and having a year-round speed bonus, while forcing you to hone your kiting abilities and heal in appropiate times and avoiding damage overall. And Warly gives you the ability to craft extremely game changing dishes for you and your team (like, you can really stack up those dmg modifiers) in exchange of being mindful of your diet and learning varied dishes that you can remember and use when playing other characters

1 hour ago, LinknAllie said:

Mainly just the games that grow big like in the past a couple examples were FNAF and Undertale (both games I hated from the start)

What were cringe about either of these other than the fact that lots of people enjoyed them openly? I don't get the examples either.

10 minutes ago, Wardin25 said:

wait, if you were talking about character writing and flanderization I think i missintepreted your comment

Also, Wormwood (best boi) gives you the ability to obtain massive ammounts of food without spending half a day tilling the soil, an outstanding sanity management ability and having a year-round speed bonus, while forcing you to hone your kiting abilities and heal in appropiate times and avoiding damage overall. And Warly gives you the ability to craft extremely game changing dishes for you and your team (like, you can really stack up those dmg modifiers) in exchange of being mindful of your diet and learning varied dishes that you can remember and use when playing other characters

Yeah I'm talking about the characters and setting, not the gameplay. Together is way more fun than old DS. It also has more content, but millions of gams out there are fun, fun wasn't the reason DS always stood out, they lost everything that made them unique. Every single time I saw DS mentioned someone praised the unique artstyle. Now we have this. 

Becoming popular already took a toll.

viking.png

Just now, RenTheCat said:

Yeah I'm talking about the characters and setting, not the gameplay. Together is way more fun than old DS. It also has more content, but millions of gams out there are fun, fun wasn't the reason DS always stood out, they lost everything that made them unique. Every single time I saw DS mentioned someone praised the unique artstyle. Now we have this. 

Becoming popular already took a toll.

viking.png

that was a 30 second scene in a single shortcut, the different artstyle mas meant to emphasize it was Wigfrids imagnation (I think) and it hasnt really been used in other places, I dont think it justifies claiming that dst is losing its artstyle

12 minutes ago, Wardin25 said:

that was a 30 second scene in a single shortcut, the different artstyle mas meant to emphasize it was Wigfrids imagnation (I think) and it hasnt really been used in other places, I dont think it justifies claiming that dst is losing its artstyle

If you say so, don't cry when the next short has them singing again with the awful steven universe artstyle

lol.png

2 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

I haven't seen that actually, do you have any examples? The videogame communities I've seen labelled "cringe" usually tend to just be full of people enjoying themselves openly.

I think a community is called cringe when a part of it are toxic towards people that critize or hate the game, as well as being obsessed with the characthers (and in some cases with the ships that the community have on them) to a point where insult or harass others for not agreeing with them.

Or in some cases for annoying other people with the game, like what it's happening with Among Us.

8 minutes ago, RenTheCat said:

If you say so, don't cry when the next short has them singing again with the awful steven universe artstyle

That's quite of a stretch.

3 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Weellll...kids can be annoying, but not ALL of them.  AND...let's be honest here:  Some adults can be really dang immature and obnoxious too.

This;
Just because of a certain individual being underage and toxic to people doesn't mean every underage person is toxic. (the irony on me)

You could even see some immature adults being called out for being bad eggs in the past.

4 hours ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

that's a large stereotype you overestimated.

Now I genuinely want to know what proportion of people in different age groups have aggressive attitudes within different communities. Anyone got any statistics/papers on it? Thanks! 

This thread has become very confusing.. but I must ask a serious question: Since DST is NOT an MMO does it really matter what the mindset and behavior of the people playing it is???

I mean if I find people I like and they play the game a way we both find enjoyable then I add em as a friend regardless of age, at the same time- if I meet toxic people who annoy me and whine because everything’s too hard.. those people go on my ignore list.

I think your confusing a 6 player coop game with an always online MMO where the mindset & playing of others directly impacts your experience.

In DST: It’s not quite this way- Theres reasons you can host private worlds with only the people you like, your not forced into some MMO wilderness to try & survive.

To drive a fine point home: This Months update gave us options to completely disable, and at the same exact time increase the numbers & difficulty of Various different things 

Examples being: A “None” Sanity Monsters option and a “More” Sanity Monsters option.

Theres even a “More” Option for Wildfires! Something I’m sure only myself and very very few others will actually enjoy..

More Shattered Spiders, Less Butterflies spawning from flowers.

These are options we DID NOT HAVE that We Have Now... I don’t see the community for this game getting worse: There will ALWAYS be toxic people but-

We now have options for peaceful base building and also options that make staying alive much more difficult.

And it’s BECAUSE of a community of players of various skill levels and opinions that we are getting those things.

I wouldn’t worry about the community branching and growing larger- as long as Klei continues to Satisfy those different playstyles equally, I think all parties involved will be satisfied.

25 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Since DST is NOT an MMO does it really matter what the mindset and behavior of the people playing it is???

You say this as if the community of DST doesn't have an effect on you.

You like Wendy I assume, what would you do if DS becomes more popular and people start crying about how problematic it is to have some little girl constantly make suicide jokes, depression references, treat her sister's death as "play time", tells creatures to die, etc. and they remove her?

2 hours ago, RenTheCat said:

I'm not against the character reworks DST brought, like Willow's, she's more interesting to play as in Together because of Bernie, but we also have to remember it comes with the baggage fo them retconning Willow to be a woman in her 20s because either they wanna ship her with Wilson or some female developer is self inserting, throwing away the artstyle and story for a League of Legends copy is embarrassing.

Nani?  This whole bit just confuses the crap out of me.  WHERE are you getting ANYthing about _shipping_ from this, especially shipping Willow with a real-life person such as a dev?  WHAT?  Oh and she's always been "a young woman in her early 20s".  That goes way back.  Not just before her rework.  Before her NERF.

As for "in the awful Steven Universe style"...yes, that segment of Wigfrid's short was really different in style, but I figured it was okay because it was a DREAM, and shifting art style is a good way to visually convey that the scene has jumped to a different reality. 
No, where that silly colourfulness REALLY bugged me, was in _Woodie's_ short.  The colourful goofiness was the WHOLE thing, not just part, and instead of taking the chance to finally tell us some lore about one of the oldschool characters, it's all "GOOFY HIJINKS!  HYUCK!"

I mean, compare this:

Spoiler

to this:

Spoiler

YOU thought I was gonna go with the original "Forbidden Knowledge", didn'tcha?  Well I did too at first, but I figured something far newer _that still has a dark tone_ would make my point better.  
I _would_ count Wurt's intro animation as part of Klei "losing their soul" (?!) too, as it also has that cutesy smooth-lined colourful look to it, but (a) some kiddiness is allowed for a kid character, and also...

Spoiler

...look at what actually HAPPENS in the short.  It's presented as humour, yes, but _dark_ humour, since she's literally eating the Hallowed Nights' candy of (probably) dead people (two of whom are kids!)  Not to mention the strewn spider (probably) corpses.

(I'm putting them all here for convenience sake, and also for anyone who might not have seen what the beep I'm talking about.)

If Klei has "lost their soul", I don't think it would be anywhere NEAR as far back as Reign of Giants, which gave us Webber, the character with possibly the MOST messed-up backstory out of all of them, and _upped_ the difficulty of the game itself in many ways.  (HOW many people were shocked when they first found out that lightning rods are now not just for protecting their berry bushes, but needed for the WHOLE BASE?  I'm betting a fair few.)  No, I think...they still have their "soul", but things like Woodie's short are a sign of some slippage.  

As for "cringe" fanbases...one thing we should all remember, is that for one thing, it's only SOME of the fans that give each fandom with a bad reputation, its bad reputation (which both Joan Jett and I don't give a damn about (GUITAR RIFF!)  Was that cringe?  Yes.  Yes it was.  Do I care?  No.)  The _original thing itself_ might actually be quite good!  Heck, if I allowed myself to be scared off by strongly online-disliked fandoms, I wouldn't have encountered at least...(counts) FIVE of the things I really enjoy now, two of which have been named recently on this very forum!

Spoiler

No, I'm not telling you which ones.  In THIS economy conversation?  Get outta here!

And that's only counting the more modern-ish ones. 

To sum up (too late!) a "cringe" fanbase doesn't ruin a good ORIGINAL thing that they're fans _of_, and DST may be getting different in style, but I don't think it's Gone Beyond yet.  Would I feel better if the next short was in something closer to the 2013 style?  Yes, but even if it isn't I won't judge it by that.  (I'll judge it by whether it TELLS us something about the character, or wastes our friggin' time.  : P)

...Notorious

7 hours ago, RenTheCat said:

Has that ever been the case for any game? I agree that quality goes down as a product becomes more popular because the developer gets cocky and realizes "I can sell them literal **** and they will buy them anyway" like how it happened to Game of Thrones. But it becoming more popular doesn't mean more updates or more stuff to do or more anything.

Why do you think among us has billions of glitches in it right now i cant even join a meeting it always glitches

7 hours ago, RenTheCat said:

You're saying stuff like this as if Klei hasn't done this before? In base Don't Starve Maxwell appears as a normal human before Wilson and not like the normal artstyle.

You're honestly just sounding like those weird, upset gamer that's afraid the "SJWs are coming for our games!" kinda guy. Calm down.

especially looking at this reply,

5 hours ago, RenTheCat said:

You say this as if the community of DST doesn't have an effect on you.

You like Wendy I assume, what would you do if DS becomes more popular and people start crying about how problematic it is to have some little girl constantly make suicide jokes, depression references, treat her sister's death as "play time", tells creatures to die, etc. and they remove her?

Like relax. It's literally not that serious at all.

17 minutes ago, TheFoxFire said:

You're saying stuff like this as if Klei hasn't done this before? In base Don't Starve Maxwell appears as a normal human before Wilson and not like the normal artstyle.

Is that a joke? Is literally the same artstyle and the one they advertised him with from day one, "not the same artstyle" because he's literally... tall?

You're honestly just sounding like those weird, upset gamer that's afraid the "SJWs are coming for our games!" kinda guy.

Cringe. See ya when Twitter tells you it's trendy to hate on trivialization of suicide so you start trying to cancel Wendy.

ugh.png

12 hours ago, RenTheCat said:

Wigfrid anime muscle girl battle

You mean the best part of the short?

Jokes aside, I think that it was a great addition. The unique and unfitting art style of the fantasy scene shows that it has nothing to do with reality and that it is solely a product of her imagination. Her grandiose and glorious daydream can't be painted with rough sketch-y black lines and dull colors. 

I at first made the mistake of treating the posts as serious, and made arguments as if I was talking to a reasonable, mature person who just happened to have weird opinions, and maybe was making broad sweeping generalizations without realising it.

...then I saw some more of those posts and realised....nope, it was absolutely on purpose.

Well, at least I enjoyed thinking out the stuff I wrote here and in the weapons thread, and maybe someone will get something out of it.  (shrug)

...Notorious

As with any community there will always be a percentage of malicious actors in them.  Having a larger playerbase doesn't make the percentage grow.

Confirmation bias is a stickler when it comes to this in specific too, so be careful when what your perception is telling versus the sum total of players met.  Most people would remember the bad more than the good since it stuck out so much when in reality it was such a small subset of the total.

That being said I wouldn't mind if DST grew to high tiers, most public servers that play only play during the first Autumn/Winter.  It would let more players play together in the end since it'd let more people band together during the early days of the season.

Spoiler

image.png.7c7cfe948a45189fa742a5a9c149945a.png

For when you want to see DST go BIG.

21 hours ago, HellHeater said:

And i say 95% of the kids that in age 6-15 are salty and troll

So statistically every 5 lobby will have a salty and troll kid which most likely will grief 

Which will push absolutely everyone to play single which will become boring a lot in a month

Whilst the rest of your post wasn't as extreme... HOLY thing, these are pretty overblown assumptions. Where the hell did you get 95% of 6-15 kids are salty and troll? Sorry for disbelieving you so harshly, but damn, i really don't like hyperbolies. And if you actually think that it's such a high number, pardon me for using the "Sagan standard" on that claim, which says that "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence". So, where is your evidence?

Also, your leaps of logic are insane. You took your assumptions, imagined the consequences with no backup, and continued jumping to more and more assumptions.

P.S. if you have no evidence, please, stop using the word "statistically" when there are no statistics involved.

P.S.S. I hope my comment still falls under this forum's etiquette. I will delete it if it doesn't. I just had to react, cause i really don't like hyperbolic arguments and sometimes i can't control myself when i feel the need to share a "pseudo-intelectual and pseudo-moral lesson".

The way I see it, WE are the one that set the culture for DST. Everybody currently playing and talking online about the game. As long as we're not salty/toxic now then any new comers will pick up on our morr positive/welcoming behavior over time. 

The best argument for this imo is the Bloodborne community. An extremely difficult game that brings out the worst in people is surrounded by an overwhelmingly positive and encouraging online presence. Everyone offers tips and suggestions or even actual help in game when they can while being patient with the initially toxic newcomers. Once those newcomers become veterans many go on to help other people as they begin their first hunt snd the cycle continues. 

If we want DST to be a positive community despite massive growth then we need to, right now, be so overwhelmingly positive and welcoming that new players have no choice but to follow suit. 

I mean, in the actual game itself I tend to welcome people until they actually DO start acting like a jerk, and also I keep both kinds of firepit by the entrance with axes and a helpful (?) sign:

069helpfulsign.png.0c3827b2e9d9903f69749685d4402e27.png

(since I wander around a lot and can't always be there to greet newbies)

So I like to think I'm being a positive part of the community in that way, at least...

Sure, if I come to greet you at night the Stagehand might be following behind me and creep you out, but that just adds to the atmosphere of the game I think.  Welcome to Don't Starve Together!  : P

...Notorious

22 hours ago, TheFoxFire said:

You're honestly just sounding like those weird, upset gamer that's afraid the "SJWs are coming for our games!" kinda guy. Calm down.

don't hit the googoo gaga on him or he'll explode!

back where I come from, we didn't get these sorts of Gamer people... Closest thing was when Rune freaked out over Lunar New Year

Archived