Jump to content

Do you think DST should grow so big?


Recommended Posts

Now hear me out

First i definitely think klei deserves a lot of money they make perfectly original and awesome games 

BUT

There is this thing called salty community 

Lets think this scenario that DST grows worldwide and every single person plays it 

According to statista.com 26% of the population is under 15 lets do some basic math (not going to calculate much) 

Lets say people over 50 wont play so now maybe about 30% of population is under 15 

And i really dont think kids under 6 will know this game so we can think about 20% 

And i say 95% of the kids that in age 6-15 are salty and troll

So statistically every 5 lobby will have a salty and troll kid which most likely will grief 

Which will push absolutely everyone to play single which will become boring a lot in a month 

And just like among us DST will die and as far as i know (one website says this and i didnt research a lot so it might be wrong) there is even less people playing among us at this point 

So there is a big chance same thing will happen to DST and community can die 

And also if the community grows very lot it will be insane pressure on Klei and this is death sentence because there will be a lot of glitches everywhere since klei will try to make updates as fast as possible to satisfy whole  community

 

This is what could happen if DST grows a lot tell me what do you think about it and write what do you think else could happen 

Tell me if you agree/disagree with me

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What has to happen will happen and we can't change that.

Some popular games are overused by youtubers, have very toxic communities and end up dead/a shadow of its former self, while other popular games continue to be great despite those things.

At this point, with Tencent owning Klei, whatever happens, dst will continue to receive updates as its Klei's main money-maker.

So if you're worried about dst dying, don't be. And if your worried about dst becoming a shadow of its fromer self... well we'll have to wait and see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think we will ever get to a point where this game is as popular as like minecraft or among us or fortnite or whatever, DS/T is just too unfriendly of a game (That's not a bad thing, but compared to other games DST is a lot tougher to get into and is very off-putting to your average casual player).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Well-met said:

then Klei would hire a bigger team.

either way, I think you may underestimate just how much DST is played in asia

Did you even read the whole thing?

24 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

What has to happen will happen and we can't change that.

Some popular games are overused by youtubers, have very toxic communities and end up dead/a shadow of its former self, while other popular games continue to be great despite those things.

At this point, with Tencent owning Klei, whatever happens, dst will continue to receive updates as its Klei's main money-maker.

So if you're worried about dst dying, don't be. And if your worried about dst becoming a shadow of its fromer self... well we'll have to wait and see.

I really am not afraid of dst dying im just thinking it and wondering you guys opinions

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly,  I really hope it stays the way it is now.  I don't need another cringey fanbase ruining another game for us.  I'm sure you've all seen what those parasites have done to some popular video games, movies, ect.  That's the only reason I wish for this game to stay quiet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Hornete said:

I don't think we will ever get to a point where this game is as popular as like minecraft or among us or fortnite or whatever, DS/T is just too unfriendly of a game (That's not a bad thing, but compared to other games DST is a lot tougher to get into and is very off-putting to your average casual player).

I don’t know, DST has potential to break Barriers that for some reason or another.. Klei refuses to tap into. The games product description reads as: Explore Randomly generated worlds full of hostile things that hate you and want you to die.

And the MORE Klei can deliver upon that- the higher the odds it has of rivaling those other games.. let’s pretend that Klei creates something like my “Through the Portal” suggestion- Each chapter is its own world, mobs, hazards, etc.. 

If they can create a way to have randomly generated WORLDS as their product describes.. and have those actually be mostly randomly generated (and lose the predictable set pieces) DST has the potential to rival and/or even surpass Minecraft.

Each playable character in DST has their own unique skills & Playstyle (or will when all reworks are done) We have boats and with each update: Klei gives us new structures intended for longer expeditions on a boat (they even added two boat based mobs Wavey/TerrorClaw) 

So they’re setting us up for.... Something bigger than what we have now for sure.

What is even the point in the various Boat upgrades if we aren’t intended to sail into new horizons? 
 

My point here is that DST is a game unlike many others, a true sandbox adventure/survival game where each play session could be unique.

Fortnite only stays as popular as it is because of its 30$ licensed skins..

But those skins still play identical to the default skin. 

Wortox however... plays nothing at all like Wurt.

And those are part of the charms/hooks that DST has to sink you into.

My one and ONLY concern is that in Klei’s quest to make their franchise more widespread popular they may lose track of what the franchise started out as & for those of us who loved it for what it was- will see it as a unrecognizable shell of its former self.

PLEASE Don’t do that Klei....

I lived long enough to see Resident Evil change genres then go back to its roots... 

But I don’t think I have another 30 years left to see You repeat their same mistakes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Hornete said:

I don't think we will ever get to a point where this game is as popular as like minecraft or among us or fortnite or whatever, DS/T is just too unfriendly of a game (That's not a bad thing, but compared to other games DST is a lot tougher to get into and is very off-putting to your average casual player).

This! So much this. And that’s why I love this game! One minute I’m sitting good then next I’m back to square one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HellHeater said:

Lets say people over 50 wont play so now maybe about 30% of population is under 15 

And i really dont think kids under 6 will know this game so we can think about 20% 

And i say 95% of the kids that in age 6-15 are salty and troll

So statistically every 5 lobby will have a salty and troll kid which most likely will grief 

Statistics are meant to measure, like a ruler. Please don't draw manufacture statics and then draw inferences on them.

Subjective truths are fine, but backing them with fiction is deceptive.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i think the game is in a good spot now big but not too big i have seen the "overhyped games that that just realeased and are somehow big" and well the comunitys mostly are always goin to the way of the toxic at somepoint or the game is mostly just gone from existing after that "hype" is gone

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I personally wouldn't mind if Don't Starve Together expanded into something much bigger or if its community grew one day. DST has the challenging appeal of open-world survival games such as Minecraft (though much more challenging), while also having the lore appeal of other various games like Five Night's at Freddy's (though much less outrageously convoluted).

Over the past few years, I have actually seen advertisements of DST on YouTube (the advertisements that I've seen all have been the character refresh animations), yet I only started playing the game a few months ago because some of my friends prompted me to do so. I feel like DST could become more popular should Klei's advertisements revolve more around the open-world survival aspect of their product than the storyline aspect to actually attract players, since seeing the actual gameplay is what truly drew me into this community. It was later on that the animations and lore became things that I decided to dive deeper into once I had explored the actual game. 

However, I agree that keeping the community to a small number is also quite nice, since large fanbases tend to build toxic enclaves within that shout louder than the more abundant supportive community. But should Klei entertainment's game grow into something much bigger than it is now, I think we should embrace that, and rather than focus on any toxicity or the negatives that new members of the DST fanbase may bring, we should instead focus on supporting the Klei team for how hard they have worked and continue supporting them so they have a happy community to look forward to when they release new updates and projects.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

I don’t know, DST has potential to break Barriers that for some reason or another.. Klei refuses to tap into. The games product description reads as: Explore Randomly generated worlds full of hostile things that hate you and want you to die.

Fun fact:  The representative picture for the "Everything wanting to kill you" page on TVTropes used to be this:

dspromopic.thumb.png.a150d1442393afd9c0ec606c82876d3c.png

(only smaller and I don't remember if it had the words on it)  I'm not sure when/why they changed it, but I DO know it was there _just_ long enough for me to see it after I'd gotten into the original game, and get the reference.

As for whether the fandom should grow or not...ehhhh...I'm kinda okay with how it is.  As long as the fandom is large and active enough to keep the game and its community _healthy_, I think it's fine.  More people?  Weellll...kids can be annoying, but not ALL of them.  AND...let's be honest here:  Some adults can be really dang immature and obnoxious too.  I think I care more about whether or not people kind of..._get_ the game, whether or not they "vibe" with it, than I do about their age or country of origin, is I guess what I'm saying.

Also these days I usually play on my own friends-only servers anyway.  : P

...Notorious

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Theres this thing known as friends you can play with

25 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Fun fact:  The representative picture for the "Everything wanting to kill you" page on TVTropes used to be this:

wilson should be among the monsters too

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LinknAllie said:

I don't need another cringey fanbase ruining another game for us.  I'm sure you've all seen what those parasites have done to some popular video games, movies, ect.  That's the only reason I wish for this game to stay quiet.

I haven't seen that actually, do you have any examples? The videogame communities I've seen labelled "cringe" usually tend to just be full of people enjoying themselves openly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

33 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

I haven't seen that actually, do you have any examples? The videogame communities I've seen labelled "cringe" usually tend to just be full of people enjoying themselves openly.

Mainly just the games that grow big like in the past a couple examples were FNAF and Undertale (both games I hated from the start) and more recent games that have grown like Among us and Minecraft just to name the big ones.  Pretty much any game that has gone big and stayed that way for at least a year.  If Don't Starve goes big the same thing will happen to those games where people look at it and only think of the cringe the fanbase would have caused.  Also defined "enjoying themselves" since there are people out there that are sick who have very differing tastes.  And I don't want to go into specifics since that will get me banned.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Szczuku said:

And if your worried about dst becoming a shadow of its fromer self... well we'll have to wait and see.

Not DST exactly but you can see the minute Klei overall lost their soul. Feels like those new Simpsons seasons. I love their animations and all but "A new reign" with a "haha i'm literally Elsa" and Wigfrid anime muscle girl battle were pretty telling (Let alone how they completly threw away the early 1900 vibe, songs, trailers, etc.

Souless.png

4 hours ago, HellHeater said:

And also if the community grows very lot it will be insane pressure on Klei and this is death sentence because there will be a lot of glitches everywhere since klei will try to make updates as fast as possible to satisfy whole  community

Has that ever been the case for any game? I agree that quality goes down as a product becomes more popular because the developer gets cocky and realizes "I can sell them literal **** and they will buy them anyway" like how it happened to Game of Thrones. But it becoming more popular doesn't mean more updates or more stuff to do or more anything.

1 hour ago, Sunset Skye said:

I haven't seen that actually, do you have any examples? The videogame communities I've seen labelled "cringe" usually tend to just be full of people enjoying themselves openly.

Not that person but I will never forgive how fans ruined The Walking Dead from telltale because they wouldn't stop threatening the writers for years with threats of murder, suicide or whatever if they killed the protagonist so we ended up with a crappy ending for the entire series because of them.

But you're right, some of the communities you see labelled as cringe aren't bad, like Minecraft, they are just a bunch of kids, even if one user does something awful like calling the FBI on other kid because he destroyed his wood house that is literally just one case of just one kid and at the end of the day the whole game is just kids placing blocks and making an ugly dirt house.

And then you stumble in the communities that are not kids placing blocks but creepy adults like in Animal Crossing trying to dox, **** and murder some girl in twitter because she called her virtual character hairstyle "space buns".

I'd say Fall Guys. Among Us, Fornite and I guess now Valheim are getting pretty popular with a young player base and nobody is being really pissed about it, sure they might say "ugh everyone plays Among us i don't want to play it then" but those communities are not really considered toxic.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, RenTheCat said:

Not DST exactly but you can see the minute Klei overall lost their soul. Feels like those new Simpsons seasons. I love their animations and all but "A new reign" with a "haha i'm literally Elsa" and Wigfrid anime muscle girl battle were pretty telling (Let alone how they completly threw away the early 1900 vibe, songs, trailers, etc.

I dont know you, but I think that Klei actually became better in RoG. After that the characters became much more interesting and lively. The old characters that havent been reworked feel really dull in comparison to the game changing drawbacks of Wormwood, Wortox or Warly. They just feel so safe and unremarkable that I cant wait for their reworks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Wardin25 said:

I dont know you, but I think that Klei actually became better in RoG. After that the characters became much more interesting and lively. The old characters that havent been reworked feel really dull in comparison to the game changing drawbacks of Wormwood, Wortox or Warly. They just feel so safe and unremarkable that I cant wait for their reworks

But Reign of Giants didn't upgrade any of the characters. I agree Wigfrid and Webber were good characters and they were added in RoG but that's the last of Klei. What Rog changed was the world, Wilson is not more interesting because now he overheats during summer if he has a long beard. In fact, it was after RoG that they completly butchered Wilson character who's examinations were all puns and jokes and made it all "haha science this, science that" "i'm doing this for science" "this is very scientific". And even then i'm not sure Summer and Spring are all that fun, they are different but by the time a server gets to summer everyone will leave or come crying to the forums to beg for Klei to remove or rework summer.

I'm not against the character reworks DST brought, like Willow's, she's more interesting to play as in Together because of Bernie, but we also have to remember it comes with the baggage fo them retconning Willow to be a woman in her 20s because either they wanna ship her with Wilson or some female developer is self inserting, throwing away the artstyle and story for a League of Legends copy is embarrassing.

Also Wormwood and Warly are not game changing and as characters they are not that interesting nor do they fit the DS world, it's literally a moon plant baby that bathes on poop and a chef. Wortox gameplay is fun and new but it's still some super magical imp saying "hyu hyu hyu" in every dialogue, 1900 grim setting down the gutter to have some red furry making rhymes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...