Beefalo are almost really good now.

8 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Awesome perk ideaa, would make me go for pudgy for a reason other than just to have one

Thanks. I always go for a Ornary beef first but if they added that perk I would definitely consider a Pudgy as my second beef to raise. A Pudgy with a war saddle would be just a little slower version of the Default beef , but with a nice sanity and hunger perk. Pretty good really. 

the problem with pudgy is that beefalo are mainly good/useful for two things: transport and combat. Obviously the pudgy is outclassed in both those fields.

Idk how useful hunger belt effect would be on a pudgy.. u cant really fight with it so the hunger drain negation couldnt be used for long extended fights, and it is slower than the rider so u'd probably get further on rider on the same amount of hunger than a pudgy if that makes sense.

Ornery and Rider are most useful away from base so theres an opportunity to make the Pudgy the base-sitter's tendency.

mainly i think the Pudgy should never lose domestication (because its so well fed and loves its owner). Maybe it could also pick Grass Tufts and Saplings when ur not riding it and leave the grass/twigs on the ground? The sanity gain should be a big aura i think so u can benefit from it while cooking or tending to your garden etc. just spitballing 

9 hours ago, ButterStuffed said:

Pudgy beefalo could produce higher quality manure that could be used for farming.

I really love this idea.

its true though that as things are now there isnt really a lot of need for fertilizer.. which is a pity because i think higher quality poop would be such a neat perk for the Pudgy. Just my ornery has produced enough poop to fill like 2-3 chests so far and i frequently make Compost Wraps and self fertilize my crops but it still keeps piling up. 

Although I’d enjoy a pudgy beefalo buff, I think it’s fine that it’s considered outclassed. The perk is unique from other tendencies and that’s all we can ask for in a sandbox game.

On 3/1/2021 at 11:42 PM, Theukon-dos said:

Reduce hunger drain to something closer to 2x instead of 4x.

The hunger stat shouldn’t be thought of as hunger IMO. It’s designed so that you want to be constantly riding your beefalo whenever possible. You have to commit to your beefalo and have in mind that a beefalo rider is your life now. 

Ah, I missed that you wanted this to make it easier to gain pudgy tendency. I suppose something like this could be fair then.

And now for the Glossamer saddle.

I'm sorry, but this thing is nowhere near worth it.

No, no. It's not as not worth it as you think, it's even less worth it than that. For 68 butterfly wings, you can make a saddle that has a 55% speed boost. Pretty cool, right?

Now what if I told you that the default saddle, made with pigskin, gold, and wool, gives a 40% speed boost, thus meaning that all that investment is actually for a 15% speed boost?

Thought so. So I'd say either the cost of the glossamer saddle needs to be reduced, or the speed boost needs to be closer to 80-100% than 55%.

EDIT: As user @Cheggf pointed out, Once you do the math, the speed gained from the Glossamer saddle is actually only around a 10% increase over the default saddle, due to the fact that you always need a saddle while riding a beef, and the 15% higher speed bonus applies to the base speed of the beefalo.

10.7% faster than an already incredibly fast speed with no downsides and effectively unbreakable? Count me in! The other day I joined a pub server and spent the last 2 days of autumn farming 68 butterfly wings (during the day phase) at base. Easy glossamer saddle before the first winter! Yes I did take advantage of butterfly spawning mechanics with more players nearby but you can also simply use a construction amulet (which you will also most likely have to do with the war saddle).

However, I do belive that Beefalo being effected by Roads and Cobblestone turf *would* be a good change. It makes sense, is fairly balanced. and rewards players for investing the resources into long-distance cobblestone pathways.

I wouldn’t say no to this. With dst’s multiplicative speed boost stacking it could get a little hectic... like overcharged wx with cane and road hectic.

Make the Beefalo Bell permanent.

I have faith in klei to retain a version of the bell/it’s features once the event ends.

MAKE THE STUPID AS HUNK OF MEAT NOT RUN AWAY WHILE I'M TRYING TO FEED OR RIDE IT BY THE NINE CIRCLES OF HELL PLEASE!

This has actually really annoyed me as well. It only happens to bonded beefalo so I only bond temporarily when needed. I assume it’s a side effect of the Woby code that was used to allow beefalo into the caves. I should probably bug report it as I really want this to get fixed.

41 minutes ago, Friendly Grass said:

Although I’d enjoy a pudgy beefalo buff, I think it’s fine that it’s considered outclassed. The perk is unique from other tendencies and that’s all we can ask for in a sandbox game.

My issue isn't so much that it's outclassed, more so that every beefalo tendancy does it's job better just by the player wearing a Tam o' Shanter.

The hunger stat shouldn’t be thought of as hunger IMO. It’s designed so that you want to be constantly riding your beefalo whenever possible. You have to commit to your beefalo and have in mind that a beefalo rider is your life now. 

Actually, this makes sense.

Ah, I missed that you wanted this to make it easier to gain pudgy tendency. I suppose something like this could be fair then.

Actually the two things where seperate, I was just saying that you can compleatly ignore the 4x hunger drain unless you want a Pudgy beefalo

10.7% faster than an already incredibly fast speed with no downsides and effectively unbreakable? Count me in! The other day I joined a pub server and spent the last 2 days of autumn farming 68 butterfly wings (during the day phase) at base. Easy glossamer saddle before the first winter! Yes I did take advantage of butterfly spawning mechanics with more players nearby but you can also simply use a construction amulet (which you will also most likely have to do with the war saddle).

That's fair. It just seems really expensive for that 10% extra speed.

I wouldn’t say no to this. With dst’s multiplicative speed boost stacking it could get a little hectic... like overcharged wx with cane and road hectic.

Eh. I don't think so, given that it would be a single source that can speed them up.

I have faith in klei to retain a version of the bell/it’s features once the event ends.

Yes please

This has actually really annoyed me as well. It only happens to bonded beefalo so I only bond temporarily when needed. I assume it’s a side effect of the Woby code that was used to allow beefalo into the caves. I should probably bug report it as I really want this to get fixed.

Hmmmm. A bug report would be a good idea...

A lot of things about this game get outclassed by X Better item- but most players almost Never take into account the players who aren’t good enough at the game to get X Better item.

To summarize: It’s easier to feed a Beefalo near endless sticks then it is to hunt down a MacTusk & pray it drops this “Tam’O” of which- in Both DS and DST I’ve probably only ever had less than 20 times.

A Beefalo that provides “almost as much Sanity as Tam’O” is there for REALLY GOOD for the people who don’t even know Tam’O exists.

We would be wise not to say “X is Better than Y Buff Y or Nerf X...”

it’s a pointless philosophy that just has us going in never ending circles of buffs & Nerfs to try and find a center balance.

Personally I like Pudgy Beef: But as a Wendy Main sanity is the absolute LAST thing I ever need to Worry about, it would be cool if it had some other trait....

My Horse in Red Dead Online has a Lantern, so yeah let’s give it that: I mean it’s Slower movement speed currently only has Sanity regen as its perk.. but it’s just not that great (for someone like a Newbie player who mains Wicker and struggles to keep her Sane- Then yeah the sanity boost is a Godsend to them.. but For Wendy’s who rarely ever have to worry about low Sanity- Pudgy Beef is just really slow, cute.. but Slow & it’s Sanity perk is unhelpful.)

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

To summarize: It’s easier to feed a Beefalo near endless sticks then it is to hunt down a MacTusk & pray it drops this “Tam’O” of which- in Both DS and DST I’ve probably only ever had less than 20 times.

isnt that difficult and much less than having to take care of a mortal mob until is fully tamed without taking in count the cost

3 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

isnt that difficult and much less than having to take care of a mortal mob until is fully tamed without taking in count the cost

To me the tough part of raising a pudgy is resisting the urge to ride it or fight with it. Unlike the other two types where Hunger can largely be ignored all that matters is obedience, Pudgy demands no obedience but you should largely refrain from using it for the advantages you get from a beefalo, just keeping it near a salt lick and feeding it pumpkins or dragonpies everyday until it reaches full domestication

What have been the most inflamatory subject on the internet for the last past years? Political correctness? Trump? Nah man you have it wrong, thas the beefalo taming mechanic in DST. 

... I'm not better than you, I'm here smh during the whole thread. You guys don't get, the way the beefalo mechanic is unbalanced when considering cost and benefit actually balances the game as whole. Let me bring the reason from bottom - up instead of top - down. 

Let's say you're a game developper and you have a semingly balanced sandbox game, then comes a really awesome idea that you can't resist but implement into your game. Thing is, this idea actually breaks the whole thing if you make it too good. Keep the idea or trash it? Well the decision made was to rise the cost to not make it so it becomes THE overpowered thing that 100% of the player base aim at and as soon as possible. I can clearly see how beefalo taming could render a lot of items and current mechanics irelevant, hence why I understand the dev's decision to desuade a good part of the player base from using it. 

If Pudgy beefalos are for the kings, other tamed beefalos are for princes and princesses. And it is super alright as it is. 

And tbh, I personnaly think the cost isn't that big. It takes great amount of cheap ressources (time and food) and no rare ressources; that's a big plus. You can, on first day, start the taming process with knowledge and motivation and this is great.

I'm happy with how Klei designed the mechanic. Can we keep the bell tho plz thank you!?

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

A lot of things about this game get outclassed by X Better item- but most players almost Never take into account the players who aren’t good enough at the game to get X Better item.

A Beefalo that provides “almost as much Sanity as Tam’O” is there for REALLY GOOD for the people who don’t even know Tam’O exists.

it’s a pointless philosophy that just has us going in never ending circles of buffs & Nerfs to try and find a center balance.

Personally I like Pudgy Beef: But as a Wendy Main sanity is the absolute LAST thing I ever need to Worry about, it would be cool if it had some other trait....

My Horse in Red Dead Online has a Lantern, so yeah let’s give it that: I mean it’s Slower movement speed currently only has Sanity regen as its perk.. but it’s just not that great (for someone like a Newbie player who mains Wicker and struggles to keep her Sane- Then yeah the sanity boost is a Godsend to them.. but For Wendy’s who rarely ever have to worry about low Sanity- Pudgy Beef is just really slow, cute.. but Slow & it’s Sanity perk is unhelpful.)

Extremely subjective and not factual. McTusk isn't this badass unstoppable mob you make him out to be, you kill the hounds then you chase him and kill him - hes SUPER easy to anyone who knows what they are doing. He's only difficult if you just keep running from him or don't know how to exploit him. I've walled my Walrus Camps in for even easier and quicker kills. You can even just build some Bunny or Pig houses near him to get the job done.

Feeding a Beef endless sticks until it is domesticated is extremely time consuming and takes a ton of sticks. McTusk takes like 20 seconds to chase and kill if that.

In any mid to long term world you can be utterly swimming in Tam O Shanters if you wish, I actually feed them to my lureplant bin now because I have too many (you can also get a TON of free Tam's during winters feast).

You really need to get over this idea that McTusk is a badass unstoppable mob - learn how to beat him and get yourself some Tam's and walking canes - I have no idea how you are playing the game without a walking cane.

8 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

You're really overhyping mactusk here.

DST is a game about learning what to do and executing on it. And it is very easy to learn just how exploitable Mactusk's AI is.

I could go into the math, but just know that you need 800 twigs to fully tame a pudgy beefalo in this manner. If new players find it easier to farm that many twigs instead of learning how to fight Mactusk, then I can't see them enjoying the game for long.

Not only chasing him. Mctusk is as easy as baiting him with chester or usijg an icestaff, which is easy to craft before winter (and more for someone who is playing for years) and easy to aim even in console since he is always walking with her child and hounds behind so he will be the 1st mob you will spot. Freeze him and kill the hounds

Meawhile beefalos arent the most difficult thing of the world but can be killed and can lose domestication making the process of taming long

An overexageration as always

5 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Not only chasing him. Mctusk is as easy as baiting him with chester or usijg an icestaff, which is easy to craft before winter (and more for someone who is playing for years) and easy to aim even in console since he is always walking with her child and hounds behind so he will be the 1st mob you will spot. Freeze him and kill the hounds

Meawhile beefalos arent the most difficult thing of the world but can be killed and can lose domestication making the process of taming long

An overexageration as always

Sounds like more of an exploit for a mob that shouldn’t be that dumb: My opinion of MacTusk- They should be fearsome hunters that once they spot you chase you across the entire map (unless you take a Wormhole or enter Cave) I don’t run them away from their camps so they try to retreat back to it- Because I feel like that’s CHEATING...

And with as much as Klei’s been updating lately (please see running far enough from Insanity Monsters that they Despawn) I Fully expect this Exploit to hit their list of things to be fixed sooner rather than later.

6 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Sounds like more of an exploit for a mob that shouldn’t be that dumb: My opinion of MacTusk- They should be fearsome hunters that once they spot you chase you across the entire map (unless you take a Wormhole or enter Cave) I don’t run them away from their camps so they try to retreat back to it- Because I feel like that’s CHEATING...

And with as much as Klei’s been updating lately (please see running far enough from Insanity Monsters that they Despawn) I Fully expect this Exploit to hit their list of things to be fixed sooner rather than later.

how freezing with a magic item made to freeze or making them aggro chester when they are so agresive by being behind him an exploit? making them be pacific by exploiting his ia is clearly an exploit but not the others solution to your problem killing them

On 3/3/2021 at 12:05 PM, Friendly Grass said:

Even ignoring the other people's time, unless you spent 3 hours actively running with the beefalo that was a net loss of time.

22 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

It is most certainly not easier to refrain from using a beefalo for a long time while constantly expending 375+ hunger per day than it is to kill a defenseless old man an average of 4 times. From what I've seen most worlds in Together have 4 Mactusks, so just running through them once will probably give you the hat.

Okay okay I'm very happy with your post. For context here are my credentials: Has tamed a stupid amount of beefalos, normally before the end of winter. I've tamed beefalo in spring. I've tamed beefalo in 26 days. I've tamed beefalo. Alright. Now I'll dissect what I think you got right and wrong. 

I. Prelude - You got this spot on. Kudos. 

II. Food - Your perspective on food actually changed my mind. "So, we've got a near-bottomless stomach on a creature that you never actually need to feed." is a stupidly good point. I've constantly said that beefalo hunger isn't a problem because obedience is the only meter that matters, and you've singlehandedly highlighted the weirdest part of beefalo taming. Also agreed, pudgy beefalo suck if we look only at viability. Kudosx2.

III. Speed - I disagree with your thoughts on the glossamer saddle. I'm someone who while beefalo rushing gets a glossamer saddle by day 11 at the latest. While I agree it's expensive, I don't actually think that it is ridiculously so, or that the boost isn't worth it. I use my beefalo for the majority of my game - basically from day 5, so that boost in speed saves me a ton of time in the long run. Also just some explanation on beefalo speed. 

Ornery or default w/glossamer saddle is a speed of 10.85, compared to the 6 of a normal character. (the math is 7 which is the base beefalo speed multiplied by 1.55 of a gloss saddle) 

Rider w/glossamer saddle is a speed of 12.4. Also more context, a character w/cane and magi has a speed of 9 (speed is multiplicative, citation needed) With a road you can get very similar speeds to rider/gloss saddle, at 11.7 speed, but its worth noting that beefalo allow you to have a piggyback with no debuffs and any other item in the hand/head slot that you could want. It's also fair to say Wx-78 can be faster than a beefalo, but the beefalo has much more flexibility in choice with inventory space. 

IV. Conclusion - 

1. This is a buff to beefalo. Sounds good to me. 

2. Yes. Pudgy beefalo suck. 

3. This could be nice but I don't feel its necessary. I'd like it added but I wouldn't actively advocate for it to be. 

4. Glossamer saddle could use a buff. It's good, but it could be better. 

5. Yes.

6. Yes. 

Kudosx3, great read. 

5 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Even ignoring the other people's time, unless you spent 3 hours actively running with the beefalo that was a net loss of time.

The other people’s time? I didn’t force anyone to stand there I just let people do their thing at base. Wasting time? Even if I cared about “wasting” a couple minutes of time I don’t think I did. Furthermore, the glossamer also helps a lot with kiting. And “actively running” is a huge portion of this game which is why speed boosts in all forms are so idolized.

8 hours ago, Bluepufferfish said:

Okay okay I'm very happy with your post. For context here are my credentials: Has tamed a stupid amount of beefalos, normally before the end of winter. I've tamed beefalo in spring. I've tamed beefalo in 26 days. I've tamed beefalo. Alright. Now I'll dissect what I think you got right and wrong. 

I. Prelude - You got this spot on. Kudos. 

II. Food - Your perspective on food actually changed my mind. "So, we've got a near-bottomless stomach on a creature that you never actually need to feed." is a stupidly good point. I've constantly said that beefalo hunger isn't a problem because obedience is the only meter that matters, and you've singlehandedly highlighted the weirdest part of beefalo taming. Also agreed, pudgy beefalo suck if we look only at viability. Kudosx2.

Well I'm glad I included that line, because somehow I forgot to actually write like half of that first paragraph, and didn't even notice until just now.

But your point is still valid, as weird as it is.

III. Speed - I disagree with your thoughts on the glossamer saddle. I'm someone who while beefalo rushing gets a glossamer saddle by day 11 at the latest. While I agree it's expensive, I don't actually think that it is ridiculously so, or that the boost isn't worth it. I use my beefalo for the majority of my game - basically from day 5, so that boost in speed saves me a ton of time in the long run. Also just some explanation on beefalo speed. 

Ornery or default w/glossamer saddle is a speed of 10.85, compared to the 6 of a normal character. (the math is 7 which is the base beefalo speed multiplied by 1.55 of a gloss saddle) 

Rider w/glossamer saddle is a speed of 12.4. Also more context, a character w/cane and magi has a speed of 9 (speed is multiplicative, citation needed) With a road you can get very similar speeds to rider/gloss saddle, at 11.7 speed, but its worth noting that beefalo allow you to have a piggyback with no debuffs and any other item in the hand/head slot that you could want. It's also fair to say Wx-78 can be faster than a beefalo, but the beefalo has much more flexibility in choice with inventory space. 

Well, now that I've actually seen the math on the Glossamer saddle, yeah. Probably doesn't need a buff. Huh?

IV. Conclusion - 

1. This is a buff to beefalo. Sounds good to me. 

2. Yes. Pudgy beefalo suck. 

3. This could be nice but I don't feel its necessary. I'd like it added but I wouldn't actively advocate for it to be. 

4. Glossamer saddle could use a buff. It's good, but it could be better. 

5. Yes.

6. Yes. 

Kudosx3, great read. 

On 3/3/2021 at 11:09 PM, csc_unit said:

What have been the most inflamatory subject on the internet for the last past years? Political correctness? Trump? Nah man you have it wrong, thas the beefalo taming mechanic in DST. 

... I'm not better than you, I'm here smh during the whole thread. You guys don't get, the way the beefalo mechanic is unbalanced when considering cost and benefit actually balances the game as whole. Let me bring the reason from bottom - up instead of top - down. 

Let's say you're a game developper and you have a semingly balanced sandbox game, then comes a really awesome idea that you can't resist but implement into your game. Thing is, this idea actually breaks the whole thing if you make it too good. Keep the idea or trash it? Well the decision made was to rise the cost to not make it so it becomes THE overpowered thing that 100% of the player base aim at and as soon as possible. I can clearly see how beefalo taming could render a lot of items and current mechanics irelevant, hence why I understand the dev's decision to desuade a good part of the player base from using it. 

If Pudgy beefalos are for the kings, other tamed beefalos are for princes and princesses. And it is super alright as it is. 

And tbh, I personnaly think the cost isn't that big. It takes great amount of cheap ressources (time and food) and no rare ressources; that's a big plus. You can, on first day, start the taming process with knowledge and motivation and this is great.

I'm happy with how Klei designed the mechanic. Can we keep the bell tho plz thank you!?

While Beefalo have their advantages, they also have plenty of weaknesses, aside from how long it takes to tame 'em, they're a mob so they take double damage from some bosses, can't use any kind of armor so tanking is not a good option against stronger enemies, you can only heal 'em by dropping to the ground and giving them food, so that also makes tanking a worse option, can't get speed boosts from roads or whatever.

For something that takes so much investment, and has rather blatant weaknesses even after it's fully tamed, Beefalos still have noticeable issues, and they would need to get very strong buffs to be so strong they manage to outclass other strong options in the game.

I also really doubt Klei worries that much about balance considering the ******** they allow the game to have lol.

Either way, yeah, Pudgy being the hardest Beefalo to get, and at the same time the weakest is rather silly.

I'll also be pissed if Beefalo Bell is gone after this, being able to go to caves with Beefalo is a good thing, plus you can use that to leave them nearby in a specific location, or just follow you if you're better on the ground, but you still want the Beefalo nearby (Like say, following suspicious dirt piles).

I think it would be nice for a visible timer to be shown when riding a Beefalo, a timer to show how long they'll allow you to ride 'em, can be annoying for them to throw me down when I'm fighting lol.

33 minutes ago, Lukmendes said:

they're a mob so they take double damage from some bosses

i think that if you ride them they only take player damage

34 minutes ago, Lukmendes said:

I'll also be pissed if Beefalo Bell is gone after this

with the next update you can turn every event even in console so you can craft it in private servers whenever you want

35 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

i think that if you ride them they only take player damage

Less bad if so.

36 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

with the next update you can turn every event even in console so you can craft it in private servers whenever you want

While that would make it more bearable, it still shouldn't be locked behind an event, specially if I'm not playing on a private server, but want to tame a Beefalo, the bell is way too convenient for that.

1 hour ago, Lukmendes said:

While Beefalo have their advantages, they also have plenty of weaknesses, aside from how long it takes to tame 'em, they're a mob so they take double damage from some bosses, can't use any kind of armor so tanking is not a good option against stronger enemies, you can only heal 'em by dropping to the ground and giving them food, so that also makes tanking a worse option, can't get speed boosts from roads or whatever.

They take that double damage only when unmounted. When mounted, it becomes a player for calculating damage taken. The lack of armor is made up for by its 1000 health, natural health regen, and 4x health gained from food. I like to use a panflute to put the boss to sleep and feed my beefalo some blue caps or cooked potatoes/tomatoes for 80hp each.

For something that takes so much investment, and has rather blatant weaknesses even after it's fully tamed, Beefalos still have noticeable issues, and they would need to get very strong buffs to be so strong they manage to outclass other strong options in the game.

Yeah, they might not “outclass” the strongest options in the game. But they’re super fun and viable! Especially considering that they’re infinite weapons and armor; normally very expensive resource costs in DST fighting. 

I think it would be nice for a visible timer to be shown when riding a Beefalo, a timer to show how long they'll allow you to ride 'em, can be annoying for them to throw me down when I'm fighting lol.

During taming, especially the early stages, I always suggest to unmount and remount before combat. Once fully tamed the buck timer suddenly becomes huge! I don’t really have to think about it again. I beefalo timer could be nice, but what id want more is a health meter.

Archived