[Game Update] - 453222

as is now getting from one side of that hell hole to the other unless you dig under the sat well the landing a rocket there will be even more tricky since that was one of the only spots you could easy put a rocket landing pad with out needing to dig a large hole

then there is the whole matter of going too close to radioactive area on that rock too soon and your nitwits dropping dead from rad poisoning

So..... After a night in the Supercolony of Fun and VOMIT i can say i really like the Idea that Oxygen is now included with a constant source of nice and fresh Vomit for the Electrolizing Prozess...... Maybe we can have a Vomitolyzer or something someday ? ............. ah yeah and i blew up some Reactors.... which is really Fun :-)

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, Pulstar said:

Speaking of execution, I wonder if we could use radiation or HYEP to build an automated critter slaughterhouse. My drowning chamber requires a bit too much pump uptime to "reload".

why don't use automatic door instead, it's work fine for me

5 hours ago, teoleo said:

i need to start a new colony...right?

I wondering the same....is this the right moment to do it?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Flydo said:

why don't use automatic door instead, it's work fine for me

I actually didn't think of that. Still the power of HYEP! utilized to enforce critter population sounds more appealing somehow, in a mad scientist kind of way.

I think we need some HiTemp steam generators, in this case reactor can be interesting as power source (and we have additional reason for critycal risky designs with extreme temps). Standart ST with reactor as heat source too simple and buring

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zakery said:

I think we need some HiTemp steam generators, in this case reactor can be interesting as power source (and we have additional reason for critycal risky designs with extreme temps). Standart ST with reactor as heat source too simple and buring

"Heavy Steam Turbine" :confused::adoration::confused:

image.thumb.png.c1242ab8ffad37f9e3cc189b9c83bcf3.pngimage.thumb.png.eb65b4ef371c08bd295d3dea3c5def9a.png

Edited by babba

40 minutes ago, Yunru said:

Don't drop it on your foot. 

image.png.b9f41e25fc3ebd163aeeaeed77eca33f.png

Imagine if we could find an ancient big shoe in the game...Deeply burried within Nobium. The shoe could be the entrance to an cave full of mystery, black lead and ancient knowledge. The large shoe can also be inspected by the player, so it can not be destroyed.

As the player has dug the shoe free, the ancient "A ka dua" chant tune is played and the player may enter the historical chamber through the shoe entrance.

image.thumb.png.fe47d9cafad2b94cbcfb61aa31598b72.pngimage.png.9660ebc279c9e1a78e2ce29a378abdfd.png

Edited by babba

On 2/26/2021 at 6:58 PM, noaIV said:

as it stands takes 3-4 shots to kill just a hatch and one to kill a dupe so careful trying that

My HYEP!/HEP critter euthanasia gun is mostly safe, utilizing dupe safety features previously invented for the purpose of my drowning chambers. Duplicant motion sensor locks the automated airlock door before the gun fires. The signal triggering the salvo is delayed with a filter gate, while the door stays a few seconds longer closed due to a buffer gate, to account for the HEP firing time, making sure it blocks all the shots. Although with a critter that doesn't climb walls, like a hatch or sweetle, you are pretty much guaranteed that all shots will hit it, since it cannot leave the horizontal line of fire.

Only problem is the liquid lock I made out of super coolant, this is the first time I use one since nothing else blocks steam while allowing the HEP shots to pass through it. My concern is the heat transfer with the hot steam inside the reactor cooking the outside through the liquid lock.

vttIl3I.png

Of course a design using another radiation source that does not involve major heat, such as whezeeworts, shinebugs or cosmic rays, could avoid the need for a liquid lock. However I guess that would have a far longer reload time than using a reactor, and the HEP collection time is the biggest problem (bottleneck) for efficiently automating critter-to-meat conversion with a HEP gun. I assume we will not get a drastically superior source of radiation compared to the research reactor. Meanwhile drowning chambers work as fast regardless if you have 1 or 20 critters inside, all waiting to become barbecue ingredients.

I'm also wondering about adapting this concept for fish or flying critter population control. It is hard to hit them, since they swim/fly, so you need redirectors (good thing those don't need power, at least so far) and even then with a good pattern, the critter could dodge the shots eventually, wasting collected HEP and energy.

Also making this made me imagine if we had heat/energy rays in ONI. Imagine focusing beams of power (or sunlight), shooting them at tiles vaporizing or melting matter with absolute power. Not to mention the chaos and destruction potential if you forget to turn off the beam.

Edited by Pulstar
  • GL Happy 1

2 hours ago, noaIV said:

as is the steam the least of your worries even with the hot patch the rad poisoning will kill dupes faster since what should fully cure them has yet to be added till this coming week

You can fully cure dupes of radiation poisoning by dropping their rads down to less than 100. Dupes passively drops rads, and you can use rad pills to speed up the process.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, noaIV said:

as is the steam the least of your worries even with the hot patch the rad poisoning will kill dupes faster since what should fully cure them has yet to be added till this coming week

Initially thought you meant radiation from the reactor, but then I checked in the game and realized the HEPs make things radioactive. The door itself starts emitting radiation somehow after getting shot with the HEP, despite not getting any contaminants. The liquid lock gets contaminants. The question then becomes how to solve long term radiation accumulation on both. For the door maybe deconstruction would work. Anyway will need to try some stuff out in game to see what works best if I really want to zap critters dead with HEP as a (mostly) automatic critter population control method.

Edited by Pulstar
  • GL Happy 1

44 minutes ago, Pulstar said:

Anyway will need to try some stuff out in game to see what works best if I really want to zap critters dead with HEP as a (mostly) automatic critter population control method.

It's fiiiine... The meat will "glow" a little before becoming barbeque :lol:

Spoiler

It seems that HEP produces germs . But germs (radioactive contaminants) produce radiation (x germs=x/1000 rads)... So... Maybe HEP is not supposed to have the purpose we thought..? Although it can still one-shot dupes..

image.png.a88f5969bb829db342b31f1b18a362d7.png

Edited by sakura_sk
one more zero

6 hours ago, sakura_sk said:

It's fiiiine... The meat will "glow" a little before becoming barbeque :lol:

Hide contents

It seems that HEP produces germs . But germs (radioactive contaminants) produce radiation (x germs=x/1000 rads)... So... Maybe HEP is not supposed to have the purpose we thought..? Although it can still one-shot dupes..

image.png.a88f5969bb829db342b31f1b18a362d7.png

This got me thinking if HEP zaps can be used to breed radiation sources so that you can harvest even more HEPs. As one great philosopher once asked...

Spoiler

Is_It_Possible_to_Learn_This_Power.jpg

The answers seems to be a strong "maybe"  seems like a no (see edit at end of post).

I made an infinite loop of redirectors, a HEP zap trap if you will, what I learned with the device was that there is a maximum travel distance for a HEP zap, so you can't just build a HEP zap storage with deadly shots flying around inside on a loop for infinity (or until a redirector is enabled with a green automation signal). That result was not great, not terrible.

Based on that it became obvious the best approach is to make a simple loop of two redirectors, as close to the HEP zapper thingy as possible to harvest as much of that travel distance for maximum contamination.

yAqvWv5.png

Almost 12k glow in the dark FUN on the tiles exposed to the shot. Pity there is no cursor on the screenshot to show the exact tile, I think only the "capture" tile gets contaminated, but it could also be just the shot tile, anyway just one of those and not both, so 2 out of 4 water tiles.

When I dropped the water and used debug mode to build a barrier of several tiles to filter out the cosmic radiation from contaminating my mad science results, the "germs" got mixed a bit weirdly resulting in one tile generating almost 60 rads.

YSDLxHH.png

The other 3 were, 46 rads and 21 rads, with the least radiated tile at some like 3 rads. The tiles were no doubt radiating onto one another for that rad synergy.

Ok, so out of one HEP collector eating cosmic radiation (25 rads) we can possibly get a much stronger source of radiation, with two tiles offering a superior radiation source to cosmic radiation. Now the problem is the half-life of the contamination germs, which is one cycle, so the HEP generation rate will drop impacting productivity. It also introduces a limit to how contaminated the water can become with further (including self-perpetuating) contamination using zaps.

Having learned that my idea now is to design a HEP breeding machine that would offer at least a HEP production to power use ratio superior to just using cosmic radiation, without the need for any external input besides power once it starts running. It would re-radiate the water itself every few zaps. Lots of variables here, including water geometry, number of particle generators, number of tiles getting zapped, time between zaps etc. so an optimal solution is not an obvious answer.

EDIT: Seems impossible, although I guess that should not be surprising. A a water tile sandwiched between two redirectors gains about 6000 "germs" per zap, so 6 rads per cycle for a generator on it to collect. Even boosted by 9 rads from collecting radiation in a topmost water layer exposed to cosmic radiation, it takes over 4 cycles to generate a new zap, at which point you have about 6% of the contamination left that is 0,36 of a rad. At this point even if you can accumulate minuscule contamination over a long period of time, it would still not be enough to allow for you to use the HEPs generated for anything other than maintaining the contamination.

Edited by Pulstar
  • GL Happy 1