[Game Update] - 453222

• Developer

Here it is, friends, the moment you've all been radiating for:

Today we're moving the new Radiation System into testing! There's been a lot of content simmering for a while (some of you have seen as much in the game archives :D ), but it's finally coming together as a new playable system that we’re looking forward to sharing.

As with every system in ONI, we want Radiation to be fundamentally connected to other systems across the entire game, so we've got lots of new parts to make and iterating to do before it's ready. We'll be rolling these pieces out to testing as they come together, and at this time we’re expecting the system to be broadly realized over the next two updates.

There's a lot of new content already in today's Spaced Out! testing branch, mainly focused around a core loop of converting raw uranium into useful radiation via the Research Reactor, and subsequently capturing that energy using the High Energy Particle (HEP) conduit system. This will be the foundation of new infrastructure and systems throughout your bases relying on powerful, yet dangerous, radioactive elements.

We're really excited to finally get this out to you. We know it's been teased for a (very) long time, and we've wanted to do it ourselves for even longer, so we feel this is a big moment for development. Check it out and let us know what you think, post along any bugs you find, and as always, thank you so much for being on this journey with us!

What does this testing branch contain so far?

Here are the changes we've made so far in this update, loosely categorized:

Spoiler

Features

• New radiation system
    • Radiation overlay
    • Mineable uranium element
    • New radiation sources including Cosmic radiation, radioactive Wheezeworts, and radioactive Shinebugs
    • Atomic Research Points added to tech tree
  • Buildings for producing and harnessing radioactive particles
    • Centrifuge building refines uranium
    • Research Reactor building produces radiation
    • Particle Generator and Particle Redirector harness radiation to produce high-energy Particles
    • Atomic Collider research station turns high-energy Particles into tech
  • Dupe vulnerability and protection
    • Fallout germ poses ongoing hazard
    • Lead Suits and Checkpoints provide shielding from radiation
    • Decontamination Shower cleanses Dupes and their cargo
    • Radiation Sickness can afflict exposed Duplicants
    • Basic Rad Pill to deal with absorbed radiation
  • And including
    • Radiation Sensor for automation

Improvements

• Resin Rooster art completed
  • Tweaked bubble animation on Small Oxidizer Tank
  • Art polish on the Basic Nosecone
  • Hooked up new backwall artwork for Moo Moonlet biome. Only present in new saves
  • Swapping out many placeholder strings, editing existing strings

Fixes

• Landers can now only be placed in appropriate locations (on the surface) and only on worlds they're being deployed on
  • Got rid of the launching fx that was showing up in the under-construction Sugar Engine
  • Improved robustness of some guaranteed worldgen rules to address a number of worldgen failures
  • Fixed crashes when deconstructing a door while a Duplicant is passing through
  • Fixed another worldgen failure case

Changes

• Dupes can no longer sanitize a suit using a sink or wash basin.

What is open testing?

"Open testing" means players get to test-drive new content early and give us feedback and suggestions before it goes live. Because this is an unfinished and in active development version of the game, it's pretty likely you'll encounter bugs, crashes or balance issues while playing these builds. We'll try to fix any problems that crop up as quickly as we can, but it's possible you'll lose progress in your games while playing on the Testing branch.

Regarding performance, the Testing branch has additional debugging tools enabled to help us track down crashes. This makes the game run more slowly than the live version of the game.

Please also be aware that once a save is loaded in the Testing branch, it cannot be reopened again in the previous Live branch or previous builds.

What do I do if I find a crash or a bug?

Post it up on the Bug Tracker and we'll fix it as soon as we can. If you can attach a copy of your save file to your report, that helps us even more as we can pinpoint the source of problem more quickly.

Do I have to play the open testing build?

Nope! If you'd prefer to only play a stable build, you can continue to play in the current Default branch until the game launches in full. Playing the Open Testing build isn't necessary, but it helps us a lot to receive your feedback and reports - if you're interested, try it out!

How do I become an open tester?

There's no sign up or registration for becoming an open tester. If you own Oxygen Not Included plus the Spaced Out! DLC and want to join the Testing Branch, all you have to do is play the Open Testing build on Steam.

How do I play the open testing build?

You can switch your branch on Steam using the instructions below:

Spoiler

How to change branches in Oxygen Not Included (Steam)

• You must own the Spaced Out! DLC
  • In Steam, click on Library > Games.
  • Scroll down to Oxygen Not Included.
  • Right-click and select Properties.
  • Go to the BETAS tab.
  • In the dropdown, select the name of the branch you want to play. In this case, the branch name is "public_testing"
    • This branch does not require a password.
  • In that same Properties window, go to the Local Files tab and press "Verify Integrity Of Game Cache."
  • Your game will be updated to the the previous branch.
  • Launch and play Oxygen Not Included

View full update

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Happy Hazard 1
  • Big Ups 3
  • GL Happy 6

10 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

We're really excited to finally get this out to you. We know it's been teased for a (very) long time, and we've wanted to do it ourselves for even longer, so we feel this is a big moment for development.

Aaand Catalina drops the suit while exiting... Of course we can trust our dupes. Why not? :lol:

Also:

13 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

radioactive Wheezeworts

... :o

• GL Happy 1

5 minutes ago, Timotheeee1 said:

there should be some kind of late game power sink so you can actually make use of the nuclear power. right now solar panels already provide more than enough power for everything

"Meteor Storm Defense Laser" :confused::confused::confused:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ipsquiggle said:

radioactive Wheezeworts

Will these hulking wheezies also have that non-descriptive feedback "consuming vacuum" when active?

I know, I know, I've already made a post in suggestions begging to fix this ambiguity but I believe this is a good place to plug what I believe is a potential fix. Besides, I like to defend what I've perceived to be a not so popular "critter"

I mean I've seen people don't promote them as much so...

Edited by JRup

43 minutes ago, RageLeague said:

Now you can knock out a dupe with a HYEP!. A new way to execute dupes quickly.

Speaking of execution, I wonder if we could use radiation or HYEP to build an automated critter slaughterhouse. My drowning chamber requires a bit too much pump uptime to "reload".