How do you feel about the library place?

I was thinking about the library lunar-y place and thinking about the public reception it got. It makes me wonder how people feel about it as well as the atrium.

I haven't been to the atrium legitimately more than a handful of times, but when I was there I found it to be a pretty interesting experience, and I enjoyed how it seemed as if a place that I could go multiple times for more reward.

In contrast to this is the library, where after your first visit if you know what you're doing, you're pretty much done and over with and you never have to visit that place ever again. I really wish this was different, I wish that the fountains of knowledge could maybe sometimes contain blueprints to things in crafting tabs, so i  would have some sort of reason to camp out there and grind out recipes, or something. 

How do y'all feel about it?

It should have more uses or recipes.

Right now it only has 3 recipes: 1 so useful, another for basebuilding and a 3rd that is nearly useles because you can get easier thulecite via df and fw

2 hours ago, Cheggf said:

It looks cool so it makes for a good cave base location.

Do the centipedes turn off if you unplug the gem? They destroy everything (i know you can cheese them into the void but meh)

I liked the Atrium biome. It is however kinda sad how you only need to go there once or twice. I guess if I wanted more Thulecite, I would go there more often. Even then, I think its pretty good. Its the only biome in the caves where earthquakes dont matter, and the portal seems promising. Thulecite Dust, Astral Detector and turf crafting are all good additions.

Lunar Grotto is pretty fun as well. Its the one biome where sanity doesnt matter in the middle of a world where there is a constant sanity decrease. When I first entered it, I was playing Wortox. He can stay there forever, if the player desires through souls from killing lightbugs. The war between Shadow Creatures and Gestalts is an interesting concept which we will see more of in the future.

Overall, both biomes good. They have more uses than the one full of spider dens.

20 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Do the centipedes turn off if you unplug the gem? They destroy everything (i know you can cheese them into the void but meh)

I believe they stay activated after you deactivate the switch, but wont revive if killed afterwards.

I think it's pretty neat. Infinite light*, thulecite at your fingertips, no earthquakes**, cool decoration, and.. a free crock pot. Lunar grotto being close by also means moonglass at your fingertips, water sources, enlightenment***, living logs, and food.

Unfortunately, you can't really do much with those moonglass and thulecite in the archives. I found it a bit weird that a biome like that doesn't have an exclusive crafting station, although I suppose the distilled knowledge was supposed to be the replacement. Also, the archives tend to be tedious to get in and out of since it can be maze-like and you have to go through the grotto. 

Overall, I think it could use some improvements, but we haven't seen the sealed portal's purpose yet and it's still a decent base location.

* Mainly if you cheese the centipede..
** Bad in some ways, but at least you can keep gekkos and whatnot.
*** This is kind of ruined by activating the archives since the shadow war cannot be turned off.

while they call it an archive it's always a big shame to me that its main preserved information sources - the scrolls - are just decorations on the walls and we get actual information from wierd water fountains. no chance to interact with the former whatsoever

we cannot even use said scrolls as tinder to light our fires. what pian

The "sealed portal" is what draws my interest.  Did that civilization fall the same way the Ancients fell but with the mysterious energy instead of the nightmare fuel?  Could the next boss be similar to the Fuelweaver where it's trying to prevent us from falling as his civilization did or will it be the opposite where it tries to lure you in.  Since Wilsons Gestalt line revolves around being lured in with knowledge.

I think there should be some sort of ancient stone hoplite in the archive, armed with a spear and shield. If destroyed, it will recompose itself in twenty days. Meanwhile, it spoils are thulium and moon rock. It would seem like a fun way for
renew these two materials and give us reason to come back periodically.
Below, a picture of what I have in mind:

image.png.66130244139a0a6fc53dfb7d2238f705.pngimage.png.0220188e722cdb56066258cb841e9f11.pngimage.png.80d85e91837f6ec320a6959b040b93f0.png

(Any reference to Darkest Dungeon is purely intentional.)

Don't forget that the area is yet to be finished, or the thing that it leads to.

So I won't have any conclusions on it really until the whole thing is done, but I do visit the grotto somewhat regularly so imo there already is a reason to come there from time to time, for glass and noses if you're into those things.

and as mentioned, the chandeliers make a pretty nice permalight base area if you're fine hanging there. No earthquakes is great for that also.

as for the atrium, I think most people who go for long term worlds visit it regularly, I would assume you are an exception here. The reward for resetting ruins is more than enough incentive to do so. 

I'm pretty sure the Archives are finished.

Well, except for the Sealed Portal, which suspiciously does not activate when you power on the Archives. I'm assuming the Sealed Portal will be used to fight the final boss of the RoT expansion, but I don't see anything else being added.

The first thing that comes to mind of that place is that dust moths when fed, should produce a lot more thulecite pieces than what they currently give (I was thinking twice or even 3x).

Other than that as it was said before it’s probably an okay basing location if you glitch all the centripedes.
We’ll have to wait and see what does the sealed portal do though.

2 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

The first thing that comes to mind of that place is that dust moths when fed, should produce a lot more thulecite pieces than what they currently give (I was thinking twice or even 3x).

Other than that as it was said before it’s probably an okay basing location if you glitch all the centripedes.
We’ll have to wait and see what does the sealed portal do though.

how do you glitch centripedes?

11 minutes ago, Well-met said:

how do you glitch centripedes?

Spoiler

When they are active, you place 2 doors against the void, freeze the centripede , then push them in between the doors and close the doors, locking them into the void. They can’t attack you anymore unless you get too close.

6 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:
  Reveal hidden contents

When they are active, you place 2 doors against the void, freeze the centripede , then push them in between the doors and close the doors, locking them into the void. They can’t attack you anymore unless you get too close.

how many years have the void doors been plaguing the game I wonder?

16 minutes ago, Well-met said:

how many years have the void doors been plaguing the game I wonder?

The worts part is that the same bug appeats with the obelisk in the atrium making the player going to the void (or his krampus sack making it lost forever) and isnt patched because some reason

Needing to use commands or rollback to get back to land or recovering a very rare item fill with rare items because a bug that is used as "feature" is kinda sad for a videogame and more when is advertaised as uncompromising 

13 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

while they call it an archive it's always a big shame to me that its main preserved information sources - the scrolls - are just decorations on the walls and we get actual information from wierd water fountains. no chance to interact with the former whatsoever

we cannot even use said scrolls as tinder to light our fires. what pian

Like in every videogame xD

Archived