Why don't the Mushlights Just give infinite light?

A bit of a strange suggestion, But I believe the Mushlights should just give infinite light. Having to do over 52,000 for what is basically a decoration that you have to REFILL every 20 days, which is nothing for late game players. Yes, Toadstool does also drop the mush hats, but be honest does anyone use these things? Ever? I don't, I've never even made them.

Now compare this to other boss loot, especially Dragonfly, who drops The Scaled Furnace provides infinite heat, AND LIGHT, which is why I believe the Mushlights should just give infinite lights, It's just a QOL thing in my opinion.

I'm excited to see what others have to say about this.

(Yes I know about the festive light thing, but I shouldn't have to Change to certain event just for some light)

I apologize ahead of time, as I know this isn't helpful, but mushlights are to DST as Wes is to DS Adventure Mode. Such struggle. Such pain and agony. Such small reward. Simply there so the developers may laugh at you, you foolish mortal. For your toils and troubles you are chained to the rock of mushlight/Wes, waiting for your liver to be torn out by the eagle Klei. You are the new Prometheus. This is your just reward.

24 minutes ago, Erineyes7 said:

Yes, Toadstool does also drop the mush hats, but be honest does anyone use these things? Ever? I don't, I've never even made them.

1391279990_Schermafbeelding2020-12-29om20_33_17.png.40ed5b2c3e08f2f58c754c6265df3665.png:wilson_cry:

I love Funcaps, theyre my most anticipated drop from Klaus Sack.

But i agree Mushlights should probably just freeze/continually restore the freshness of Spores inside it. Like ice boxes do with ice. 

edit: if it would need a tradeoff it could be funny if the lamps needed fertilization like once or twice a year with manure/bucket of poop. But Misery/Toadstool are such big bosses to fight infinite light feels like an appropriate reward as many ppl have said before.

20 minutes ago, Ohan said:

1391279990_Schermafbeelding2020-12-29om20_33_17.png.40ed5b2c3e08f2f58c754c6265df3665.png:wilson_cry:

I love Funcaps, theyre my most anticipated drop from Klaus Sack.

But i agree Mushlights should probably just freeze/continually restore the freshness of Spores inside it. Like ice boxes do with ice. 

edit: if it would need a tradeoff it could be funny if the lamps needed fertilization like once or twice a year with manure/bucket of poop. But Misery/Toadstool are such big bosses to fight infinite light feels like an appropriate reward as many ppl have said before.

I LOVE those hats too. I just like wearing them sometimes since they are so ridiculous but awesome looking.

I think the Mushlights should be infinite, too. Refilling them just ends up being a chore. I always use Glow Berries since I can harvest them from the Reanimated Skeleton at night and they last 40 days inside the Mushlight. Since Winter's feast is here, I've been collecting as many festive lights as I could for mushlights, but I've always wished an item that gives Mushlights infinite light (or Mushlights themselves pausing spoilage) was a base game feature.

About the Funcaps, I think they're cool. I use them from time to time, even if sometimes just to farm mushrooms via spores. I don't quite understand why they have a drawback as a boss item (making items spoil faster in your main inventory), but it doesn't really make a difference when you can wear a backpack or something and put your items there (which also protects them from wetness).

funcaps arent bad at all is just that when a player reach the level of killing them, having less hunger is just a confortable thing rather than game changing

i dont mind to replace the lighbulbs every 20 days (or more if you use spores) for that amount of light, the worst part is the damn rot in the floor when them spoil, but i will not mind infinity light from such bosses

Maybe we should have a way to farm festive lights outside winter feast or something similar (i would love to fight new mobs that drops some kind of infinity light fuel for the lamps)

as tip, you can give funcaps to mobs to farm spores quickly so you dont have to worry about light for so long

or if you play on pc, activate winter feast event to farm festive lights

I agree that they should be infinite, the act of refueling is also so few and far between that it just becomes a bother. Like a fly on the back of an elephant, you know? At that point in the game, it would be nice to spend your time doing something more interesting than fetching more spores/lightbulbs/glowberries. As for downsides, if even necessary, you could make it have a passive aoe that slowly spoils food near it, much similar to the funcaps.

Simple,

Moon Altar Craft
3x Moon Glass + Spore = lightbulb of that color.
3x Moon Glass + Lightbulb = White lightbulb.

Perment light bulbs while using and farming the intended game mechanics.

edit: Idea based on a suggestion from a viewer of mine, LegoKirbyTwin during a stream.

6 minutes ago, GLERMZ said:

3x Moon Glass + Spore = lightbulb of that color.
3x Moon Glass + Lightbulb = White Yellow lightbulb. ( ivo's note: yellow bulbs act as a white bulb)

It could be craftable at the winter's feast furnace, granted it would have be slightly remade.

6 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

It could be craftable at the winter's feast furnace, granted it would have be slightly remade.

The thing is to craft them outside winter feast so console players can farm them all year and everyone doesnt need to grind fishing at oasis to get 40 beach toys and 2 lights

It could be crafted at the new moon stations, just renamed them  and give a slightly different sprite to be different from the festive lights (just to make sense)

I love the idea, right now we have only few glass recipes for the amount that you can farm (maybe is intended for future crafteables) 

Im totally fine with how it is right now even without winter feast event.

2 hours ago, Erineyes7 said:

Toadstool does also drop the mush hats, but be honest does anyone use these things? Ever?

Yes. Every autumn after spending summer in cave, while organizing my loot from ruin i put mush hat and catch the spore to refuel my glowcap.

No rot when it spoil, last for 60 days which mean i have to do this only once a year. Convenient enough for me to not have to complain.

Im not a megabaser, the most i had in my base was 5 glowcap so 20 spores to farm isnt much for me.

With the recent event i got plenty of festive light and im actually looking for usefull place to put more glowcap.

I dont mind it too much as long as it's not too many mushlights . I am usually low on bulbs for my lanterns and headlamp by the time mushlights are in the red. So just pop in the fresh lightbulbs and put the red spoiled ones in my lanterns and headlamp. At least Klei buffed the mushlight time about a year ago , it was bad before that.

I may just start using glow berries if they last 40 days like someone mentioned .

9 minutes ago, Seero said:

Hamlet has this so why cant dst

I'm not against the idea of infinite light in DST, but comparing features in a DS DLC and DST isn't the best imo. Hamlet has an entirely different theme from DST, being themed around civilization and economy and such more than toughing it out in the wilderness, and the mechanics that arise from that mean that being able to build light where you want around the world isn't even that huge in the end.

Additionally, the infinite light from lamp posts is balanced by the fact that the harder more threatening areas of the game are either covered in structure-blocking ferns (deep rainforest) or don't allow lamp posts to be placed down at all (ruins, cave clefts.)

1 minute ago, Sunset Skye said:

I'm not against the idea of infinite light in DST, but comparing features in a DS DLC and DST isn't the best imo. Hamlet has an entirely different theme from DST, being themed around civilization and economy and such more than toughing it out in the wilderness, and the mechanics that arise from that mean that being able to build light where you want around the world isn't even that huge in the end.

its not like comparing DST and minecraft and how minecraft has infinite light via torches

who cares about it being the best, it's convincing enough that the sequel version should have some form of infinite stationary light (which is probably super overrated anyways because staying in one spot all night is suboptimal) just like it's prequel

infinite mobile light would probably be something that shouldn't be added.

It is also much easier then toughing it out in the wilderness all you need is to get the two special artifacts from the pig ruins and pugalisk ruins, buy the hammer and key to the city, and start destroying all lampposts because all crafting components only cost 1 of each to make

4 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

structure-blocking ferns

oof don't even remind me of those hellborn things.

As for the topic at hand, I say why not? It is exactly fair. Infinite light might be considered strong, but c'mon, Scaled Furnace exists, and Toadstool is even more of a hassle than Dragonfly. I'm not a megabaser, don't know the feeling but it seems perfectly fair and understandable for me, so yeah

I guess everyone here knows festive lights are infinite fuel for mushlights and glowcaps, but i didn't see it mentioned yet so.. they are.

I think if you have under 10 glowcaps using spores is fine and not too tedious, but after that you kind of need festive lights imo. I do think that if a world has 30+ glowcaps it's probably been through a winters feast already, or it will be soon, so i'm tempted to say that having festive lights as the only infinite fuel is fair. Then there's also astral detectors who can work as infinite light sources, tho not as pretty as the lamps.

Fishing for festive lights does give summer a purpose for me and others i'm sure, and even not during winters feast, gathering packages for the event to open them is kind of unique and a nice reward. If you're consistent in winters feast Klaus killing and fishing you'd average between 8-12 festive lights per year, so 2-3 lamps. It's definitely expensive, but i don't think it's outrageous, and infinite colored lights should be expensive imo.

Normally I'd be really against things like infinite light in Don't Starve, but this game already has plenty of infinite light... Including the mushlights themselves, but only from an item that drops during Christmas for some reason. Toadstool is a boss fight that most players don't do and it's certainly a lot more difficult than other infinite light sources like doing the moon caller event or picking Wendy. It's a stationary light source, too, and it isn't even that big.

As it is right now I feel like the best thing I get out of the fight is the funny mush hats that spoil my inventory, and while that is a worthy sacrifice in the name of fashion, I think the lights being infinite would be a nice addition.

2 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

As it is right now I feel like the best thing I get out of the fight is the funny mush hats that spoil my inventory, and while that is a worthy sacrifice in the name of fashion, I think the lights being infinite would be a nice addition.

Don't forget the real reward to the fight: Those sexy thighs.

Archived