Spaced Out! Enters Early Access!

On 12/9/2020 at 8:41 AM, aresd said:

In July, they informed us about a release before the end of the year. And at the end of the year, instead of a more or less playable release or beta, they gave us a dead horse, assuring us that the horse was sleeping.

You keep saying that..."dead horse"...as if it's supposed to mean anything to the rest of us.  They promised they'd get it in our hands by the end of the year,and they've delivered.  It's early access, and most of us are mature and informed enough to know what that means.  It's fine if it's not everything you wanted.  And it's fine for you to express your disappointment.  But understand that there's a line between criticism and whining, and your repeated use of an empty platitude like "dead horse" is close to crossing that line.

35 minutes ago, goboking said:

You keep saying that..."dead horse"...as if it's supposed to mean anything to the rest of us.  They promised they'd get it in our hands by the end of the year,and they've delivered.  It's early access, and most of us are mature and informed enough to know what that means.  It's fine if it's not everything you wanted.  And it's fine for you to express your disappointment.  But understand that there's a line between criticism and whining, and your repeated use of an empty platitude like "dead horse" is close to crossing that line.

There was no talk of any early access. These are all your fantasies.

“You keep saying that” I used the phrase about a dead horse only once and used a horse on crutches in a quote to a specific person, because he understood what I was talking about. You should think before using manipulation, mature person.

And also I ask you to refrain from further messages to me, because you are already directly trying to offend or anger me. Here you are the one who walks on the knife's edge.

Description of the proposed game content without mention that it is a standalone game ( 2020 ) called DLC which lacks major base game elements and basically results in a rework of the base game ( 2021 ).

---------------

Feb 13, 2020

..."This DLC is going to be quite sizable, including new game systems and many refinements on the base game."

---------------

July 3, 2020

"New Systems: There are 3 major new features:

1. Multiple colonies on multiple asteroids running simultaneously! From lonely mining outposts to thriving hubs of industry, each world can contribute to sustainability across your civilization.
  2. A new radiation simulation and overlay, with conduit-like infrastructure to harness it for science and industry! We're adding this as a new fundamental system with integrations into many parts of a successful colony.
  3. Space gameplay has been reimagined. Space destinations are now actual playable asteroids which can be landed on and settled. Rockets themselves are now easier to launch, more interesting to control, and have a deeper role to play by providing infrastructure between asteroids."

---------------

Things are how they are, one likes certain things or not or had/has certain expectations or not.

Base game content will be added to DLC in 2021 and vice versa, that`s the situation.

No need for forum users to attack each other. Enjoy what one enjoys, complain what one wants to complain about.

:angel::bee::angel: ...Wishing a further nice ONi experience for everyone.

54 minutes ago, aresd said:

The very first thing you see in the Steam page is a very large, noticeable block saying THIS GAME IS IN EARLY ACCESS followed by a description saying it's still in development, lacking features, and so on.

Sure they didn't mention Early Access back in February. But they did now, and it was very well displayed on the item page along with basically every single developer update over the last month or two. The very moment they announced an alpha a month ago they also said an Early Access release would follow.

It's not the devs fault you chose to only read an old press release and then proceed to ignore every update since, including the actual press release announcing the game would be out on Early Access, along with the very prominent warnings about the product being early access on the Steam store.

Guys, sit back and chill, don't throw poop at one another over a video game :(

Folks at Klei - has it been decided, whether the DLC will stay as a 'reinstall the game to access a separate mode' thing, or will it be eventually be an actual expansion - i.e. DLC will enable more buildings and more game modes with clusters? If it's just for now/EA, but if it isn't, please reconsider - it's really awful for the end user in its current form, and with mods it'll add even more chaos. I think most people expected the DLC to add on more maps and content to the base game and I 100% agree with that.

I may sound like a broken record, but completely blocking mods like that feels like a bad idea. You could state that people should expect them to break often due to updates, just like we had it in early access before you added harmony to the game and introduced official support. People were fine using the silly mod loader injector every single time the game updated and hunting for mod updates outside of steam. I know you may not want to publicly endorse it, but do you mind if community modders release a workaround to load mods in the DLC? I'm incredibly conflicted not wanting to go 'against' your wishes and at the same time entirely agreeing with people who don't want to play the game without seemingly simplest things - such as bigger camera zoom, build over plants or bigger capacity with over 100 000 active subscribers. I'm a bit heartbroken that you haven't reached out to modders with some more info. Most modders were incredibly hyped for the DLC, but now some of us have decided wait on buying the DLC. Some modders are already writing mods for the DLC without knowing when they will actually get to release new content, and some just feel disappointed. We love your game, but we also put a lot of heart into what we do.

Irony is they did communicate that DLC will re-designed the game 

"New Systems: There are 3 major new features:

1. Multiple colonies on multiple asteroids running simultaneously! From lonely mining outposts to thriving hubs of industry, each world can contribute to sustainability across your civilization.
  2. A new radiation simulation and overlay, with conduit-like infrastructure to harness it for science and industry! We're adding this as a new fundamental system with integrations into many parts of a successful colony.
  3. Space gameplay has been reimagined. Space destinations are now actual playable asteroids which can be landed on and settled. Rockets themselves are now easier to launch, more interesting to control, and have a deeper role to play by providing infrastructure between asteroids."

People just didn't bother to really think what this means and now rage is fueled on failed expectations that were never promised. Also I am really taken back, by the reaction of those people, considering everything. But what can I say, this became hobby in 2020.

Personally, I am withholding from buying because at the moment ONI is not on my high priority list and won't be for awhile. But DLC did bring a lot of things that I wished were in vanilla. Now, everyone is entitled to their own opinion but overall the reaction and attitude needs to cool down, it's not helping anything but contributing to blood boil 

Great input Cairath - I hope you get your requested help. Looking at this years calendar I guess any major change or game update will be in 2021, my 5 cents.

Perhaps it would be good if Klei`s states the current Mod Support Situation on the steam website/workshop and/or in the games title screen.

----

Amazing great Mod stuff ! :biggrin-new:

image.thumb.png.a9abb627f638468fefc1b37987d37013.pngimage.png.65275f7c16ec7f15f90307664547d843.png

For me, the DLC "expansion" feels like a contraction.  I thought the alpha was only testing specific things like the new world and that the release would have much more...that turned out not to be true.  Instead, we got a single, smaller map and a new game mechanic that is not fully implemented.  The single map we did get has no random geyser generation meaning very little repeat playability.  In comparison I have played arboria >12 times because each one so is different.  I am not convinced they have found the secret recipe to deliver a fun rocket experience, currently I just load what I need in the nose cone and have no need to go back to world #3 (40t of gold and Al and I am good to go back on the base world; plus the pilot mechanic does not fit well with repeating auto trips).

Due to lack of mod support being enabled, I am holding off on buying the game.  I take it to mean Klei really feel uncomfortable with the state of the game.  As @Cairath said, we had MODs just fine all through early release and those that used it were "sophisticated",. knew the dangers, and knew how to fix each update (or disable while waiting for the mod update).  I am fine with downloading from Github and the forums vs steam integration but not fine with it disabled completely.

58 minutes ago, Steefy_92 said:

Also I am really taken back, by the reaction of those people, considering everything. But what can I say, this became hobby in 2020.

Well, add some longer-term stress and many people will start to behave differently. A pandemic will certainly provide that stress.

1 hour ago, Tizzysawr said:

The very first thing you see in the Steam page is a very large, noticeable block saying THIS GAME IS IN EARLY ACCESS followed by a description saying it's still in development, lacking features, and so on.

Sure they didn't mention Early Access back in February. But they did now, and it was very well displayed on the item page along with basically every single developer update over the last month or two. The very moment they announced an alpha a month ago they also said an Early Access release would follow.

It's not the devs fault you chose to only read an old press release and then proceed to ignore every update since, including the actual press release announcing the game would be out on Early Access, along with the very prominent warnings about the product being early access on the Steam store.

You either do not get involved in the discussion, or read all the messages before assert anything. All my complaints relate specifically to the posts of the developers in February and July and that they masterly dodgeded their promises and did it for granted, without even trying to justify themselves.

I don’t understand at all why all of you keep showing me the latest posts that this is early access. I can read very well without you and I know what I bought.

Let's stop this discussion already, I'm tired of this negative. I expressed MY personal opinion on this forum, but they attacked me and began to strangle me, as if criticizing the developers here is a taboo and is the basis for the shooting. Calm down, breathe deeply and if you all do not like my messages, add me to ignore or just pass by.

3 minutes ago, Lbphero said:

so many of these requests are so arbitrary

True.
I started with a "more important stuff" list, but I ended up adding everything that I could think of that appear to be ok.
If some of them were "added" it would already increase my trust in the company.

10 minutes ago, aresd said:

Let's stop this discussion already, I'm tired of this negative. I expressed MY personal opinion on this forum, but they attacked me and began to strangle me, as if criticizing the developers here is a taboo and is the basis for the shooting. Calm down, breathe deeply and if you all do not like my messages, add me to ignore or just pass by.

the problem with YOUR personal opinion is that it is unreasonable, and that is what is constantly being expressed. there can exist unfair or unjustified criticism, and me along with many others find that you complaining about the game being in early access rather than release even though they stated their seemingly changing plans, is unreasonable. Can you understand why we could possibly think that without thinking that we're bootlickers?

22 minutes ago, aresd said:

You either do not get involved in the discussion, or read all the messages before assert anything. All my complaints relate specifically to the posts of the developers in February and July and that they masterly dodgeded their promises and did it for granted, without even trying to justify themselves.

I don’t understand at all why all of you keep showing me the latest posts that this is early access. I can read very well without you and I know what I bought.

I think base game titles which had or have an "Overwhelmingly Positive" rating on Steam can create a kind of positive cult.

Until recently I was one of the refreshed ONi cultists. Popular cultist organizations like "Blizzard" had many cultists falling of the rails in the last decade,volcano erupting in cultist organization evergreens like "We now want to present you Diablo for Smartphones !".

Currently I sometimes play a different game which is the total opposite, that game forum there has 80% negative and hostile forum users creating a lot of negative vibes since several years and permanently picking at each other.

The nice and welcoming ONi forum is like a sweet honeypot with mainly friendly people, in drastic comparison. :bee:

I expected a DLC, an expansion of a main game - Whereas I can play or test the main game with dlc content, which expands the main game.

...Similar to the past ONi ( free ) updates.

21 minutes ago, aresd said:

All my complaints relate specifically to the posts of the developers in February and July and that they masterly dodgeded their promises and did it for granted, without even trying to justify themselves.

Techincally you're jumping the gun there. 

There's still 21 days in the year.

(Beyond which, there's nothing I detest more than people who say developers should stick to a release date at the expense of having a good product, except those who do that and then also complain that they received a bad product if they do.)

7 minutes ago, babba said:

I expected a DLC, an expansion of a main game - Whereas I can play or test the main game with dlc content, which expands the main game.

99% of main game content is already in DLC worlds, the only things I think are missing as of now are certain geysers, and a bunch of space stuff. I deeply expect both of those things to be remedied within due time. 

If you were like, expecting to be able to just load up previous base game saves on DLC, you were being unrealistic, sorry to say.

3 hours ago, aresd said:

"This approach means that we can't predict when the DLC will be ready, but if everything goes well we'd like to have something to show during the summer, and the release would follow in the autumn after further testing and refinement."

You are reading what you want to read, and then complaining when what you think is going to happen, (which isn't what was said), doesn't happen.

5 minutes ago, Lbphero said:

99% of main game content is already in DLC worlds, the only things I think are missing as of now are certain geysers, and a bunch of space stuff. I deeply expect both of those things to be remedied within due time. 

Will be nice to have an main game expanding dlc which has all rockets, all buildings, all creatures, all geysirs, the promised radioactivity ...and so on in it for testing and playing :biggrin-new: Summer 2021 will be nice.

1 minute ago, babba said:

Would be nice to have an main game expanding dlc which has all rockets, all buildings, all creatures, all geysirs, the promised radioactivity ...and so on in it :biggrin-new: Summer 2021 will be nice.

the way this is phrased makes it seem like you're trying to play a "gotcha!" card on me but i don't see how what you've mentioned here contradicts what was stated by the devs

32 minutes ago, aresd said:

Except that your posts say otherwise. While saying you know what you bought, you are continually complaining that you didn't get what you were promised.

Let's stop this discussion already, I'm tired of this negative.

You are bringing the negative, being the negative, and attempting to force the negative on everyone.

5 minutes ago, Lbphero said:

the way this is phrased makes it seem like you're trying to play a "gotcha!" card on me but i don't see how what you've mentioned here contradicts what was stated by the devs

Perhaps we have to agree to disagree, my statement will remain for me:

I expected an DLC, as expansion of a main game - Whereas I can play or test the main game with dlc content, which expands the main game.

Having two different opinions is ok in life :adoration:

I`m pretty sure that the final rebuild of the base game by Summer 2021 will be fun to play.

7 minutes ago, babba said:

Perhaps we have to agree to disagree, my statement will remain for me:

I expected an DLC, as expansion of a main game - Whereas I can play or test the main game with dlc content, which expands the main game.

Having two different opinions is ok in life :adoration: (i never stated this wasn't the case)

I`m pretty sure that the final rebuild of the base game by Summer 2021 will be fun to play.

i am so confused in what you are trying to say here...are you just upset that you don't get to play your old saves with the DLC content on?

24 minutes ago, Yunru said:

(Beyond which, there's nothing I detest more than people who say developers should stick to a release date at the expense of having a good product, except those who do that and then also complain that they received a bad product if they do.)

I completely agree. Look to a certain just-released "cyberpunk" game for what happens if you stick to a release date and then dare not shift it as much as would be needed. 

I want a good product that keeps me engaged and entertained. And if I have to wait longer, than that is what is needed. If the game has many iterations that provide a different gameplay experience each time because the makers of the game for once do something right and use early access as a massive collaborate design experience, all the better. Sure, the current ONI DLC is not feature-complete at all with regards to the gaming side, because that is not what was aimed for. And also sure, it gave me only about 10h or so of entertainment. But that is already more than some full-price games provide and I will now just happily wait for the next content patch. 

Archived