Spaced Out! Enters Early Access!

Hey Squiggy,

Just wanted to backpedal on something I said a bit before. I mentioned in a previous thread that I considered the swamp start a really super easy start, and called the difficulty a little artificial. Mostly I was referring to just some annoyances thrown in - mud and managing water pockets, for instance. I said, you can sit in the swamp for a very, very long time without experiencing any resource shortages or ever feeling under any pressure to leave.

Well, one pressure the swamp does put you under is that the temperatures are never quite comfortable. In all the games I've started I always run into a temperature management issue, I have to find a way to keep the cold out or my crops stifle.

Seems like a minor thing but it IS some pressure the game puts you under to tech up and leave the starting area. And I'm starting to warm up to the swamp as a pretty good start biome.

@avc15 Since a while I only play survival, where everthing takes ages compared to editor play. I find that tapping the magma at the bottom on the new cold start biome to be a good option and find its relative easy done, to get the dupes to a nice 30 celsius or so. I used to play FrozenWorld in the base game world generator. Kerbin forever my friend :adoration:

I found out about an really good, older thread today...

I didn`t know that the devs extended the game to one giant map, like with graphics in the 80s arcade machines.

It would be so great if we had some kind of editor which could copy a players base from the base game to a bigger map save of the dlc :confused: Then I could copy my base game rocket silo in to a new asteroid, that would be great :cold:

I also didn`t know that its the file compression which delays the game on (auto)saves, so that Klei perhaps pays for less internet traffic and data storage - I always assumed it was a client database cleanup between cycles. How could I have thought its all magic and not in dev self interest.

I dlc expected radiation, reactor stuff and multi colony play in the way that our base files are compatible with the dlc and that multi colony stuff means loading a new base game map of the same old size, with other player asteroids fake simulated in the background ( also for players pc speed reasons ). Now all asteroids seem to be simulated in one giant mega map, so perhaps having 100 dupes and 100 creatures per asteroid really means 600 full simulated dupes + 600 creatures, for 6 asteroids. Don`t know :confused:

I don`t know if they will change the total dlc map size again to add more future content or so someday. Ah, all these savegame breaks ! :dispirited:

I love simulation precision and the fast memory access for the players switching from one part of the map ( asteroid zone ) to another part of the giant map ( another asteroid zone (( or rocket map zone? )), but it is such a big change - Should have been Klei posted IMHO.

I actually didn`t have much interest to look behind this games technical stuff, as I just want to play the game as a consumer in survival mode, but the whole savegame incompability and games pc system load got me peeking in to a bit of things over time. The only time I really want to use this games editor again is if I could copy basegame save file structures in to a dlc map zone - If someone knows if that is somehow possible, would be great to know. :confused::confused::confused:

Factorio has a great devblog where they weekly explain all their changes. Klei`s technical map change stuff would have been worth wile to be public posted and announced as technical change information beforehand, it also would have made modders happy in terms of knowing what technical map changes are coming. @Cairath

8 hours ago, _alphaBeta_ said:

I may have to wait for mod support; not sure I can play this game without the pliers mod. It just bothers me too much that you can easily connect pipes, but can't disconnect them just as easily.

So this mod is really good ? I have never used it, I will check it out next year :adoration:

Yes, the pliers mod is a very nice quality of life type mod. Solves an annoyance but doesn't really impact the game in any "cheat-y" feeling way.

The other two mods that I personally don't like living without are the "Bigger Zoom Out" and "Stop Sublimation When In Storage" mods.

The "No Manual Delivery" mod is also pretty nice, although I mainly only use it for storage containers.

Yup, Pliers are one of those must-have mods.

Btw it's kinda funny that many players want modding support for the DLC, but what they really want is to instal those few QoL mods that are essential for the game and that could and should be implemented into the game in the first place. I feel that simply including Pliers and POI deconstruction (along with maybe few others) would solve 90% of community modding needs.

8 hours ago, natanstarke said:

Pliers are absurdly op and should never be implemented in the base game, it simply breaks the need to open setups for fixing and so on.

The functionality of the pliers mod could be a task for a dupe with the 'Plumbing' skill though, similar to pipe emptying. At least for the pipes; cables might need 'Electrical Engineering'.
This way you would have the typical experience of improvement through progress over the time: more planning needed in the early game and later on you get this QoL ability of being able to change things easier with skilled personal. Especially with the DLC, with its multiple colonies and teams.

6 hours ago, hthought said:

Need those advanced rockets to reach the 4th planetoid without having to do all sorts of wizardry to get there !

Technically it`s possible to get there using the current rockets but it`s a one way trip. Still if you bring 2 or 3 rockets at once you can get enough resources to build a landing pad, refuel and go back. It`s very risky though. If something goes wrong you will have multiple rockets stranded in space and dead dupes on board.

14 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Technically it`s possible to get there using the current rockets but it`s a one way trip. Still if you bring 2 or 3 rockets at once you can get enough resources to build a landing pad, refuel and go back. It`s very risky though. If something goes wrong you will have multiple rockets stranded in space and dead dupes on board.

Yeah, I know of this potential solution, but I really don't feel like having to resort to something like that. Sounds very tedious and not fun. I think i'll just wait.

I also was among the list of people super excited to play this awesome new DLC! But it is a fair point that it’s in early access, so it’s what I signed up for. I have so much do in the base game that I can do until then. I just hope my 7,000 cycle colony can eventually be moved over when they make the two builds compatible... I’ll be heartbroken if I can’t keep my map. So many stories happened there, so many things when wrong, so many catastrophically, back when the game was savage and barely survivable. The only sources of water I have are scalding steam and natural gas. This was before the printer even gave little resource packages, so I was truly alone. It was insanely difficult and I loved it.

I hope I can keep it all! That would be hard to do in terms of development, so I’ll understand if not... but so long as that’s on the horizon, I’ll be happy no matter how long it takes. Thanks for the great and insanely deep game that after 7000 cycles still gives me eureka moments when I think of a new factory I could make. It’s awesome. 3,400 hours wonderfully well spent.

Archived