Spaced Out! Enters Early Access!

• Developer

Hello friends!

Brace yourselves, a brand new Oxygen Not Included DLC has just landed in Early Access! Presenting:

Oxygen Not Included - Spaced Out!

In Spaced Out! you'll spearhead space missions to new and undiscovered Planetoids, transport resources between bases, and manage multiple worlds on the fly to build a bustling megacolony that not only survives, but hopefully, thrives.

Over the past months we've been working hard to implement the core systems of Spaced Out! and tackle the major technical and design challenges that the DLC’s new multi-world gameplay brings. We're now at the point where the systems are ready to have content and refinement built on top of them. Working on content with the community was a blast during the original Oxygen Not Included early access, and we’d like to collaborate with you again on Spaced Out!

The starting price for the DLC will be $12.99USD and will require ownership of the base game Oxygen Not Included. The final launch price has not been determined, but will likely be higher to reflect the growing size of the game.

This DLC is in Early Access and that means it's a work-in-progress! Come join us!

What to Expect

Here's what you can expect to find in Spaced Out! so far:

• New Multi-World Gameplay! The Starmap and space program have been completely redesigned to allow you to span your Duplicant civilization across multiple planetoids, each with their own resources to contribute.
  • Brand New Starting World! The Swamp start, along with its supporting biomes, provides a new, different mixture of resources to exploit as you nurture your fledgling colony.
  • Mid-Game Rocketry! The rocket mechanics have been completely redesigned to make rocketry part of your colony's core infrastructure, rather than just an end-game goal.
    • Rocket tech is easier to research and is more integrated with the rest of the tech tree.
    • The surface of the starting planetoid is a lot less hostile, and new early-game tech is being added to ease the transition into space.
  • Multi-Colony UI Improvements! The Diagnostics side panel and redesigned Resources screen have been expanded to manage your attention across planetoids.

Future Plans (Not Ready Yet!)

Spaced Out is still in development. We've got a solid foundation with features listed above, and here's some planned systems and improvements that will be coming in the following months. You will not find these in Spaced Out just yet:

• Radiation/Nuclear Systems: We've put lots of work into the underlying mechanics of this system already, although it’s still not quite at a point where we're ready to test and receive feedback on it. Radiation systems should become available for testing later in Early Access, once the existing features and systems are in good shape.
  • Late-Game Planetoids and Rocketry: There's still a lot of content to make for this DLC, and we feel it's important to focus on the early and mid game content first.
  • Rare Resources and Global Sustainability: We have plans for how we want to distribute geysers, resources, and other sustainable solutions in the late game, but are holding off on expanding on these ideas until we feel comfortable with the early and mid game content.
  • Mods: We currently have mods disabled to ensure that the feedback we're getting is specific to the content and balance that currently exists in the game and to reduce unrelated bug reports. As Spaced Out! becomes more stable and gets closer to final release, we'll turn mods back on.

Early Access Timelines and Release

As always, we're dedicated to making a great game and not rushing things out the door, and we want to make sure that you all have a chance to help with the development of this game. We're developing Spaced Out! in Early Access, as we did with the Oxygen Not Included base game. We'll be putting out regular updates to add additional content to the DLC and working towards its release. We will be releasing a new roadmap shortly after Early Access launch once we gather initial feedback from players.

FAQ

Any support for Mac / Linux?

Yes, Mac and Linux are supported, though if you encounter any issues please let us know in the bug forums!

What do I do if I find a bug or crash?

For crashes you can send us a message using the in-game crash reporter. Bugs can be posted in the bug forums, and are most helpful when they include a log.

The sooner you let us know about an issue, the sooner we can fix it for you and get the game working again!

Can I load up an existing base game save in Spaced Out?

No, saves from the DLC and base game are not compatible with each other. You will need to start a new colony when you begin Spaced Out, and won’t be able to load any colonies played in Spaced Out back in the base game.

What if I want to go back to the base game?

You can manage the DLC using your Steam library the same as other games, or use the toggle in the corner of the main menu.

Note that the DLC is not enabled by default because it is still in early access.

Mods are disabled in the DLC but will still be available in the base game while you are participating in the Early Access.

1 minute ago, Gun4fun said:

Are there any changes in comparision to alpha access?

Not yet. If you played yesterday, its all the same. You can proceed with your save.

For those who expect it as a DLC on the main game: It does not show up yet.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1452490/Oxygen_Not_Included__Spaced_Out/

Is the link you want.

Speaking of the trailer, what happened to this conveyor loader?

image.thumb.jpeg.915d6645764f625270feb0731d35b1c6.jpeg

EDIT: Ah I see, the left and right sides of the shot were taken at different times. You can see weird stuff happening with the pipe too at around that vertical line

EDIT2: Wow, the more I look at the gameplay footage of the trailer, the more I see vertical "masks", like thisimage.thumb.png.f72de0b202c60d5f22559f5bd87ca147.png

or this

image.png.e64f5ddb391f74e9ea85fc923eed5c9b.png

I wonder why they did that. Maybe to hide the UI that was accidentally visible in the shot? Or maybe the shot wasn't wide enough to do the pan they wanted so they needed to extend it a bit

@Ipsquiggle
Can't open my game now.

Assert failed: subworlds/barren/LargeChasmStart (subworld) referenced a missing biome named biomes/Forest/Chasm

at UnityEngine.Debug.LogError (System.Object message) [0x00000] in <b8388ffefd6046f8a7b4080349da72eb>:0 
  at Debug.LogError (System.Object obj) [0x00000] in <f30d3c85d1f64155aa0dc6c7adb0d1eb>:0 
  at Debug.Assert (System.Boolean condition, System.Object message) [0x00000] in <f30d3c85d1f64155aa0dc6c7adb0d1eb>:0 
  at DebugUtil.Assert (System.Boolean test, System.String message0, System.String message1, System.String message2) [0x00000] in <f30d3c85d1f64155aa0dc6c7adb0d1eb>:0 
  at ProcGen.SettingsCache.LoadSubworlds (System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] subworlds, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] errors) [0x00000] in <f30d3c85d1f64155aa0dc6c7adb0d1eb>:0 
  at ProcGen.SettingsCache.LoadFiles (System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] errors) [0x00000] in <f30d3c85d1f64155aa0dc6c7adb0d1eb>:0 
  at ProcGenGame.WorldGen.LoadSettings () [0x00000] in <1c58b1f98f5849baa9083bfd5185b144>:0 
  at LoadScreen.OnActivate () [0x00000] in <1c58b1f98f5849baa9083bfd5185b144>:0 
  at KScreen.Activate () [0x00000] in <f30d3c85d1f64155aa0dc6c7adb0d1eb>:0 
  at LoadScreen.ShowMigrationIfNecessary (System.Boolean fromMainMenu) [0x00000] in <1c58b1f98f5849baa9083bfd5185b144>:0 
  at MainMenu.OnSpawn () [0x00000] in <1c58b1f98f5849baa9083bfd5185b144>:0 
  at KMonoBehaviour.Spawn () [0x00000] in <f30d3c85d1f64155aa0dc6c7adb0d1eb>:0 
  at KMonoBehaviour.Start () [0x00000] in <f30d3c85d1f64155aa0dc6c7adb0d1eb>:0 

I was on the alpha test. So possibly the game is trying to launch the DLC, but now that it was removed it can't.

I'm not going to buy the DLC now. There are a lot of things in the base game that should be addressed. Many things that are fixed by mods, and not by the base game itself. So, I'll wait.

3 minutes ago, TripleM999 said:

Do integrity check.

File verification helped. Downloaded 500+ mb.

I started a sandbox game, the same two volcanoes of cold mud and cold salt water. Are you kidding me? Non-playable DLC

2 minutes ago, n_t_p said:

Turn mods back on. Your game is unplayable without the UI improvements of mods. I didn't buy your game to volunteer as a beta tester. 

Turn mods back on.

Disable DLС to play with mods.

• Developer

Hi, we're still trying to figure out a reliable solution for clearing the startup crash. It seems that some old files from the DLC are getting stuck in the install folder. Some things to try:

• Right-click ONI -> Properties -> Local Files -> Browse local files .... go into the OxygenNotIncluded_Data folder and delete StreamingAssets, then Properties -> Local Files -> Verify Integrity of Game Files
  • Uninstall and reinstall the game through steam
  • Browse to the local files as above, uninstall the game, after uninstall finishes delete any files that are left over in the SteamApps/common/OxygenNotIncluded folder, and then reinstall.

Please be careful when deleting files on your hard drive, and let us know if any of these solutions fixes the problem for you so we can share the information!

I'm just going to play Vanilla. Complete disappointment to show what was already in Alpha and obviously not playable. Why was it necessary to release it?

It seems to me that it was cheaper to just tell everyone that you all ran out of time to finish than to show this misunderstanding. I'm sorry if I sound rude again.

Archived