[Game Update] - 444120

• Developer

Reap what you Sow Beta Hotfix

Fertilizer Nutrients Changes

• Reworked the nutrient values of all the fertilizers. 
  • Nutrient arrows should now be read as: The total amount of nutrients a plant consumes and restores while growing from a seed into a harvestable plant. As an example, two Rotten Eggs would provide enough nutrients to grow one Garlic plant.
  • Note: In the Plant Registry, some fertilizers may appear to provide less nutrients than before, this is due to the old arrows mapping to a different set of values.

Changes

• When a Garden Hoe or Splendid Garden Hoe breaks, it will now automatically equip another from your inventory.
  • The Plant Registry will now remember what card was last shown for each plant.
  • Added tooltips to the summary cards for each plant.
  • The Composting Bin no longer requires manual turning to be at maximum efficiency. It is instead more efficient the fuller it is.

Bug Fixes

• Fixed a number of bugs that allowed farm plants to grow at night and in the dark
  • Fixed a bug preventing the giant rotten plants from being researchable.
  • Fixed the Watering Can playing water sounds while empty.
  • Fixed another inventory stacking bug causing items to duplicate visually.
  • Fixed fertilizers not playing their sound when used on farm soil.
  • Astral Detector cannot be dismantled twice at the same time now.
  • Fixed an issue with Winona’s Snowfallen skin.
  • Fixed an issue with Winona’s Victorian skin.

View full update

• Like 25
  • Thanks 9
  • Health 1
  • Sanity 2
  • Spool 1
  • Big Ups 1

22 minutes ago, ScottHansen said:

Nutrient arrows should now be read as: The total amount of nutrients a plant consumes and restores while growing from a seed into a harvestable plant. As an example, two Rotten Eggs would provide enough nutrients to grow one Garlic plant.

woop woop fertilizers are useful now

• Like 2

I like the new nutrient values. Growing giant crops should be much easier without combining them with other crops. Although I still think manure is a little worse than the other kinds of fertilizer. Manure from pigs and beefalo is worth little amount compared to the other kinds, and the bucket o' poop takes bone shards which don't have a consistent source other than repeatedly dying and logs which are needed for enough things as-is. Not to say consistently growing giant peppers is still as difficult as it was - I just think it's significantly harder than crops that consume other nutrients.

I'm sad to see you can't grow crops deep in the caves without a dwarf star anymore. Would it possible to someday add some kind of source of "sunlight" that's more viable for this kind of farming? Using star callers so often is really expensive for just crops, and I really enjoyed farming in the ruins before this patch.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ZeeDragon said:

fried poops, and deep-fried poops.

we are entering oxygen not included area here

7 minutes ago, Electroely said:

which don't have a consistent source other than repeatedly dying

you can add to that hammering spoiled fish, i think fishing and letting the fish spoil might be easier than dying

• Like 1
  • Hunger 2

1 minute ago, Parusoid said:

you can add to that hammering spoiled fish, i think fishing and letting the fish spoil might be easier than dying

I didn't mention spoiled fish because it isn't consistent. Each spoiled fish only has a 50% chance of giving a single bone shard (and a fish morsel even less). My issues with bone shards would be completely gone if spoiled fish gave bone shards more consistently - 2 shards for a spoiled large fish would be perfect, but I think 1 per would be good too.

• Like 3
  • Big Ups 1

5 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

we are entering oxygen not included area here

yeah but fish is better spent elsewhere. it is more useful in the pot or getting mobs on your side or building up flortifications

44 minutes ago, ScottHansen said:

Bug Fixes

• Fixed a number of bugs that allowed farm plants to grow at night and in the dark

But Mr ScottHansen sir some plants DO grow at night and in the dark, I was watching YouTube’s last night and discovered one of these wonderful blooming night plants.. and now that there is an actual sailable ocean in DST The Water Lily would make for an excellent addition to the game I think. :) 

https://bergenwatergardens.com/night-blooming-waterlilies/

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ScottHansen said:

Does that affect how long it does  take for a plant to grow fully?

Edited by xhyom

1 hour ago, ScottHansen said:

Fertilizer Nutrients Changes

• Reworked the nutrient values of all the fertilizers. 
  • Nutrient arrows should now be read as: The total amount of nutrients a plant consumes and restores while growing from a seed into a harvestable plant. As an example, two Rotten Eggs would provide enough nutrients to grow one Garlic plant.
  • Note: In the Plant Registry, some fertilizers may appear to provide less nutrients than before, this is due to the old arrows mapping to a different set of values.

Changes

• When a Garden Hoe or Splendid Garden Hoe breaks, it will now automatically equip another from your inventory.
  • The Plant Registry will now remember what card was last shown for each plant.
  • Added tooltips to the summary cards for each plant.
  • The Composting Bin no longer requires manual turning to be at maximum efficiency. It is instead more efficient the fuller it is.

Bug Fixes

• Fixed a bug preventing the giant rotten plants from being researchable.
  • Fixed the Watering Can playing water sounds while empty.
  • Fixed another inventory stacking bug causing items to duplicate visually.
  • Fixed fertilizers not playing their sound when used on farm soil.
  • Astral Detector cannot be dismantled twice at the same time now.
  • Fixed an issue with Winona’s Snowfallen skin.
  • Fixed an issue with Winona’s Victorian skin.

View full update

-sad lights out noises-

i really was excited about this update as i really prefer to play in lights out for the extra challenge but simultaneously really loved the changes to farming and figured the difficulty in acquiring seeds made up for the newfound ability to farm at night, but once again farming is impossible to do regularly meaning that warly and wurt are once again pointless to play as. I mean you can play as them and survive but no spices for warly outside of making a beebox with extreme difficulty and waiting literal days for a couple of honey for the worst spice, and no reliable healing for wurt outside of blue mushrooms and trail miX

• Like 2
  • Sad Dupe 1

21 minutes ago, Copyafriend said:

-sad lights out noises-

i really was excited about this update as i really prefer to play in lights out for the extra challenge but simultaneously really loved the changes to farming and figured the difficulty in acquiring seeds made up for the newfound ability to farm at night, but once again farming is impossible to do regularly meaning that warly and wurt are once again pointless to play as. I mean you can play as them and survive but no spices for warly outside of making a beebox with extreme difficulty and waiting literal days for a couple of honey for the worst spice, and no reliable healing for wurt outside of blue mushrooms and trail miX

They made Pearl nocturnal for lights out mode, I’m sure they’ll end up doing the same here. :) 

Edit- or something more advanced like allowing you to craft an Artificial sunlight source to grow crops.

Edited by Mike23Ua

12 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Edit- or something more advanced like allowing you to craft an Artificial sunlight source to grow crop

Technically I believe farming is possible with a starcaller staff, (I may be wrong or misremembering) but that's NOT reliable, I am not made of yellow gems. I can ruins rush and kill dragonfly sure, but if I'm ruins rushing or killing dragonfly repeatedly just for farming I might as well not bother outside of getting the stuff to help kill toadstool faster.

• Like 2

I don’t exactly see how a star caller being required for night worlds/caves for farming is the worst thing in the world to get.

1 star lasts 3.5 days, and since you very likely are not moving your farm (and likely not casting multiple stars either, given the immense range it provides) a single staff will last you a full DST year. You can basically use 1 green gem and 5 yellow gems with some other miscellaneous ingredients  to be set for farming for 350 days. You can easily buy yourself time to combat weaver/kill DFly for additional staffs, and profit immense amount of farm foods to combat the bosses with as well.

I really only think this will impact the first year the most, since rushing the ruins is practically required for lights out farming. Overall though, I don’t see it being too unbearable to upkeep.

Edited by Maxil20
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

YES! That's exactly how I wanted it to be!

Edit: Checked the new nutrient values in-game, not happy about manure only giving 1 manure point. Even if manure will stay at 1 point, I would really appreciate having a better way of getting renewable bone shards for buckets of poop (which give 2 manure points). Dying on purpose for one bucket just doesn't feel right. Catching a big fish and letting it spoil for a 50% chance of 1 bone shard is even worse and slower than dying. You get 2 bone shards from hammering a spoiled fish in Shipwrecked, so why should the drop be so much worse in DST?

Edited by SonicDen220
suggestion for bone shards
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Maxil20 said:

I really only think this will impact the first year the most, since rushing the ruins is practically required for lights out farming. Overall though, I don’t see it being too unbearable to upkeep.

ruins rushing isnt really my style, i mean i can and have, but it shouldn’t be necessary, and the few times i have rushed ruins in lights out was for a mooncaller staff for a permanent lit base for revival reasons. (I later used fireflies around a chest and meat effigy)
Secondly theres still the -minor- issue of some characters kinda relying on farming, i like wurt and i guess i can ruins rush with blue mushrooms so i can have a health item that doesnt drain my sanity or require it to be autumn for birchnut seeds, but if i have to ruins rush every time i play wurt or warly just to have a functional farming experience. I probably wont bother playing them at all! because at least before i could use manure to grow SOME crops anyway and use rng to get some valuable ones.
Finally, its much harder to farm in lights out even if the crops grow because you can only get seeds from tumbleweeds or the merm king and theres no birds meaning i hope you got enough of x crop to make them big and are keeping them nice and fertilized otherwise you are probably gonna run out of seeds. Oh yeah all in a world where you’re in a constant state of trying to have some lighting, which prevents you from sitting at base more or less completely. in other words it was ******* hard (and i was fine with it) before they fixed it so why should it require an ancient craft just to start the tedius process of trying to farm in a lights out world 

Edited by Copyafriend
Spacing mistake

1 hour ago, Copyafriend said:

ruins rushing isnt really my style, i mean i can and have, but it shouldn’t be necessary, and the few times i have rushed ruins in lights out was for a mooncaller staff for a permanent lit base for revival reasons. (I later used fireflies around a chest and meat effigy)
Secondly theres still the -minor- issue of some characters kinda relying on farming, i like wurt and i guess i can ruins rush with blue mushrooms so i can have a health item that doesnt drain my sanity or require it to be autumn for birchnut seeds, but if i have to ruins rush every time i play wurt or warly just to have a functional farming experience. I probably wont bother playing them at all! because at least before i could use manure to grow SOME crops anyway and use rng to get some valuable ones.
Finally, its much harder to farm in lights out even if the crops grow because you can only get seeds from tumbleweeds or the merm king and theres no birds meaning i hope you got enough of x crop to make them big and are keeping them nice and fertilized otherwise you are probably gonna run out of seeds. Oh yeah all in a world where you’re in a constant state of trying to have some lighting, which prevents you from sitting at base more or less completely. in other words it was ******* hard (and i was fine with it) before they fixed it so why should it require an ancient craft just to start the tedius process of trying to farm in a lights out world 

The obvious answer is because it also effected non-lights out worlds 

But I’ve done told you and you refuse to listen- Klei made Pearl Nocturnal exclusively for lights out mode only... I’m pretty sure if they want plants to grow in Lights Out that they’ll give em the Pearl Treatment.