Why do the new crops look like alien plants?

I have no problem with adding new farming mechanics, but why are they SO UGLY

They look like plants from an alien planet. They remind me of Thanos's farm. Why couldn't they just look like normal crops like from The Gorge? These look like mutant radiated plants. 

Marvel trailer avengers GIF on GIFER - by Alsanrad

I think they look wonderful, ESPECIALLY the onion! God if the full grown onion plant isnt the sexiest texture I've seen in the DS/T franchise idk what is.

As for why they look weird I was wondering that too, especially since we've seen normal looking plants and crops already. I wonder if the short will give us a little explanation for it or if we'll have to make head cannons of our own.

The moons Magic has done more then just bring dead things back to life it seems, it also seems to grow gigantic vegetables.

Sadly the update isn’t on consoles yet so I can not accurately judge these plants, but considering that the constant isn’t earth and in fact is actually some weird place where walking rat carrots exists- I don’t find them to be odd, ugly, or out of place in this game at all- DS and DST has always been an odd little game full of funky stuff like Mandrake and it’s more terrifying counterpart Elder Mandrake...

Large Mutant Crops is something I expected we would get eventually Mandrake/Elder Drake already heavily eluded towards that...

Now the horrifying part is when you reach “Attack of The Killer Tomatoes” level intelligence and they start growing faces and becoming more aggressive.

5 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Now the horrifying part is when you reach “Attack of The Killer Tomatoes” level intelligence and they start growing faces and becoming more aggressive.

I've been thinking about this reference since day one! I'm so glad I'm not the only one, I was feeling old lol

It's not their APPEARANCE I have a problem with...

And really, if you think about it their "alien" quality makes sense in several ways.  The Constant is not Earth, the moon is probably affecting them, and it also kind of goes with the Lovecraftian feel DS/T has had underneath all along.  Ever read "The Colour Out of Space"?  The fact that all the plants are growing _too big_ and just taking over the fields, their vines getting everywhere, is one of the things that tells you something's wrong early on.  (It gets worse.  WAY worse.)  

So...I'm not saying that the new giant crops _are_ the ones from that cursed farm...but I'm also not saying they're not.  : P

...Notorious

I don't think it's alien or moon-related or anything. It's just that classic early DS vibe of (most) things in the constant being created by someone on the throne who has absolutely no idea what they're doing and is just making stuff up as they go. Like shoving magical gems into dogs, or trying to create birds with really long legs, or combining an elephant and a koala bear just to see what happens.

Since this update isn't a part of RoT, and so I would think not relevant to that storyline, I like to think this is how farming retroactively always was, and years ago Maxwell just went like "How's an eggplant grow, it's like a tulip or something? Pomegranates? Yeah those are flowers too I think. Peppers? They're hot, it's like a torch... and what even is a 'dragonfruit'? I bet they call it that cause it grows on a plant that looks like a dragon." and etc.

10 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

Since this update isn't a part of RoT, and so I would think not relevant to that storyline, I like to think this is how farming retroactively always was, and years ago Maxwell just went like "How's an eggplant grow, it's like a tulip or something? Pomegranates? Yeah those are flowers too I think. Peppers? They're hot, it's like a torch... and what even is a 'dragonfruit'? I bet they call it that cause it grows on a plant that looks like a dragon." and etc.

Well carrots, at least, certainly existed during the Ancients time—aka before Maxwell.
It literally just might be how stuff grows in the Constant's soil.

8 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

Well carrots, at least, certainly existed during the Ancients time—aka before Maxwell.

That's true, but carrots happen to be the only plant in this update that grow like that plant's supposed to, just a bit bigger than normal. The top pops out of the ground just like a real carrot.

This is the only thing I dislike, probably won't farm because of how they stick out like a sore green thumb. Why are they all huge? (Pumpkin, potato, tomato are the main culprits.) The potato displays 3 potatoes, 2 small ones and one that's bigger than a baby beefalo, yet harvesting it yields one normal looking potato. The pumpkin plant looks totally different than the actual inventory item. I was hoping to decorate a spooky swamp base with pumpkins but they all look alien fauna. Make them smaller? Or make the sprites look like the actual fruits/veggies.

2 hours ago, Gourmand said:

I was hoping to decorate a spooky swamp base with pumpkins but they all look alien fauna.

You wouldn't really be able to do that anyway, since the plants would rot. Your best bet for something like that would probably be getting oversized pumpkins and letting them rot, they look all normal and spooky like that:
Giant_Rotting_Pumpkin.png

19 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

You wouldn't really be able to do that anyway, since the plants would rot. Your best bet for something like that would probably be getting oversized pumpkins and letting them rot, they look all normal and spooky like that:

Hello!
Do they rot when they are on the weighting machine? 

trophyscale_oversizedveggies.gif.a21798c14de18597d8b9b105f7cefa1f.gif

1 hour ago, Sunset Skye said:

Giant_Rotting_Pumpkin.png

Well I would live in the swamp and tend to them of course! 

Archived