[Game Update] - 442776

1 minute ago, Zeklo said:

Why does down equate to a gain of that nutrient in the soul?

I assume down arrows with the horizontal line mean nutrients are going INTO the soil, while up arrows coming from the horizontal line mean nutrients are coming OUT of the soil.

• Like 1
  • Sanity 1

1 minute ago, Electroely said:

I assume down arrows with the horizontal line mean nutrients are going INTO the soil, while up arrows coming from the horizontal line mean nutrients are coming OUT of the soil.

I thought down means the plant it's absorbing the nutrients and up that the plant is giving nutrients to the soil

• Thanks 1

That's precisely why I think it's more confusing. I think people are more likely to think of it in gains and loses. Positives and negatives. Ups and downs.

Not the more... thematic means of what's literally happening.

EDIT: People were reading it properly originally. The problem was that Growth Formula & Manure were switched. That's where the initial confusion sprung—not the original symbols. At least that's my take.

Edited by Zeklo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

EDIT: People were reading it properly originally. The problem was that Growth Formula & Manure were switched. That's where the initial confusion sprung—not the original symbols. At least that's my take.

When I initially saw it, I thought it meant that the plant disliked certain nutrients and liked others. I think the old symbols would work well now, though, since the tooltips are more descriptive.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

Adjusted the nutrient cycling arrow art and tool tip strings in the Plant Registry

When you hover over the picture of the nutrient cycling arrow art, it gives a tooltip description of what it means.

However, this doesn't apply to the fertilizer tab. Extending it to that tab would be helpful. My brain inverts the arrows meaning otherwise. :love_heart:

• Developer
Just now, lakhnish said:

However, this doesn't apply to the fertilizer tab. Extending it to that tab would be helpful. My brain inverts the arrows meaning otherwise. :love_heart:

Unfortunately, we can't do that, since there is no simple way to add tool tips to that tab, that would also work with controllers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

Applied Horticulture changes causing problems for end-game players and base builders

If the problems lie in the endgame then maybe Wickerbottom could have regular versions of her books and improved versions which require more endgame materials to be crafted. Or something simmilar to her Forge ability where she could cast an amplified spell after meeting the criteria. 

Something to think about once you start her rework.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

aware of the feedback around the Applied Horticulture changes causing problems for end-game players and base builders

Don't understand this one. The new farming mechanics heavily favor end game players who have time to dedicate to their farm. End game players have all the fertilizer, ruins gardening hat, one man band, etc. The new mechanics heavily weigh against early game players like me who used farms with manure to instantly get vegetables - and cannot do this any more.

Edited by Bird Up

3 hours ago, Zeklo said:

Why does down equate to a gain of that nutrient in the soul?

I always thought this was how it worked lol! I understood it as the down arrows meaning plant sends down nutrients from its system into the soil, and up arrows meant the plant sucks up nutrients into its system! That seemed very intuitive to me 

7 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

Wormwood can now talk to plants faster than other characters.

7 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

We are also discussing this and improvements to Wormwood will come in throughout the beta.

:love_heart::apple::wilson_love: Awesome!! 

47 minutes ago, Bird Up said:

Don't understand this one. The new farming mechanics heavily favor end game players who have time to dedicate to their farm. End game players have all the fertilizer, ruins gardening hat, one man band, etc. The new mechanics heavily weigh against early game players like me who used farms with manure to instantly get vegetables - and cannot do this any more.

AFAIK
The worry is more towards mass twigs/grass farming—which are very basic resources that get rapidly consumed with mega-bases. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

We would like to let everyone know that we are aware of the feedback around the Applied Horticulture changes causing problems for end-game players and base builders. We are discussing solutions for this and it will not remain as is. Changes to the book will happen early or mid next week. We are also aware of people's concerns around Wormwood's plant-anywhere being diluted by the new farming mechanics. We are also discussing this and improvements to Wormwood will come in throughout the beta.

I hope they figure a way out.

8 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

snip

sorry to add more burdens to the team but could it at least be considered that for the sake of public-server play that during world-gen there is a togglable option to have plants not rot if they aren't picked in the same way wildfires can be turned off? for a lot of people this current set-up is kind of a bad situation since plants can rot between one player's hard work and another player getting on and finding that work not just wasted but potentially also putting hostile mobs in places that otherwise would have been safe(like the pub base or cave exits or the oasis or even portal itself) is likely to discourage farm usage and potentially get someone labeled as a griefer if they are not ardent about punctual harvesting

1 hour ago, Bird Up said:

The new mechanics heavily weigh against early game players like me who used farms with manure to instantly get vegetables - and cannot do this any more.

yeah, i actually have some concerns about this as well since i rely very heavily on farm veg when playing in pubs. though to be fair the old way was incredibly op x''D if one person can feed themselves plus two others by the end of their first season it is likely a bit too good of a method of production

Edited by gaymime

1 hour ago, Bird Up said:

The paragraph you're responding to was about the Horticulture nerf rather than the new farming mechanics. Unless I'm missing something, basically the complaint is that Horticulture is a heavily relied-upon tool for megabasers who want a large amount of structure-related resources in a short amount of time, so a nerf to that means a nerf to the megabasing process. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

We would like to let everyone know that we are aware of the feedback around the Applied Horticulture changes causing problems for end-game players and base builders. We are discussing solutions for this and it will not remain as is. Changes to the book will happen early or mid next week. We are also aware of people's concerns around Wormwood's plant-anywhere being diluted by the new farming mechanics. We are also discussing this and improvements to Wormwood will come in throughout the beta.

This is nice to hear. I'm hoping the sanity necessity for the book usage in considered. If I understand this correctly, to get large crops you still need to tend to every single plant before you can do any kind of quick book reading, so in my opinion considering those two things, the book would be decently balanced even if the increased cost of its crafting stays as is. Assuming you can manage to squeeze in 4 plants per tile, it is nearly 300 crops without tending to them, but even then, the planting of these crops still takes two characters (Wickerbottom and Wormwood) or more time if only Wickerbottom enters the play. considering intial setup or fertilisation, seed gathering, planting time and finally harvest.

5 hours ago, Name2.0 said:

Does anyone know how to defeat the lord of the flies? I keep attacking it but it wont die

2 attacks, dodge. You can do 3 attacks with proper timing (no speed boosts) and it'll go down slightly quicker. Doesn't take terribly long once you've got the pattern.

10 hours ago, Electroely said:

since 2 single arrows of restoration would balance out one double arrow of consumption

Doesn't it work like that right now? 2 single arrows means 1 nutrient from plant A + 1 nutrient from plant B, and one double is 2 nutrients? am i missing something? you suggesting for it to be multiplied by 2? so 2 nutrients from each plant against 4 nutrients from the other plant

Edited by Parusoid

If avid forumers (usually quite informed into DS/T affairs) have problems understanding the concept of nutrients regarding those pictograms and how they actually function in game for specific plants plus plants interactions via said nutrients input/output, one can get the gist of how this all reworked farming (akin Gorge's) will go for bulk player-base at large...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

If avid forumers (usually quite informed into DS/T affairs) have problems understanding the concept of nutrients regarding those pictograms and how they actually function in game for specific plants plus plants interactions via said nutrients input/output, one can get the gist of how this all reworked farming (akin Gorge's) will go for bulk player-base at large...

im gonna guess you mean that its gonna be a bad thing?

• Like 1
  • Sanity 1