Can we talk about Wormwood

52 minutes ago, DaZoul said:

yea, while not technically completely useless, he is severely underpowered, there is no reason to playing him (other than just liking him as a character) as anyone else can do things very nearly as well as he can. He does need an improvement to Wild Crops, and his farming when looking after normal, not-wild crops

that is what i tried to say. He isnt useless, he still having that useful perk to keep time when plating seeds but now he isnt a MUST to farm veggies

maybe he needs another usefull tool but saying he is useless is like saying wickerbottom is death because 1 book gets nerfed

i honestly think that wormwood should use the abilities of plants that exist in the constant, like, he's a frickin' plant A PLANT FROM THE FRICKIN MOON, in the newest beta they are introduced a new weeds like, fire nettle, or that spiky weed, or other ones, wormwood should benefit from them, for example wormwood would have an ability that makes cage, the same one as the spiky weed does or ignite enemies as fire nettle does (well, it doesn't ignite but i think you get the point)

2 hours ago, Lanaaa said:

HE'S LITERALLY CALLED THE GREEN THUMB IN HIS BIO! How does it make sense for a Librarian to be able to insta-grow plants instead of the plant who exists to plant plants?? Come on, dude...seriously. Seriously. 

Wickerbottom is a librarian know about forgotten knowledge and dark magic. She is basically a 21th century witch. Even most of her skins shows her as a witch or shaman.

And Wormwood is a little coincidence. A magic stone drop on the plants and turned it a living creature. He probably can't even read (Which I think even pigs are smarter than it ) but you telling it can grow up plants. If you are talking about using his crystal on other plants, that wouldn't grow them. Probably that would make them alive and let them move. Also taking a characters power and putting it to another not making sense too.

1 minute ago, Slagger said:

Wickerbottom is a librarian know about forgotten knowledge and dark magic. She is basically a 21th century witch. Even most of her skins shows her as a witch or shaman.

And Wormwood is a little coincidence. A magic stone drop on the plants and turned it a living creature. He probably can't even read (Which I think even pigs are smarter than it ) but you telling it can grow up plants. If you are talking about using his crystal on other plants, that wouldn't grow them. Probably that would make them alive and let them move. Also taking a characters power and putting it to another not making sense too.

Yea a massively overpowered witch that is getting nerfed whether you like it or not. I never said Wormwood would read her book, I said he should have the ability to grow the plants. He has no benefit right now, none. He is all drawbacks for no benefit. His entire schtick is planting. In the beta, he knows more about the plants than the base characters, so why the hell wouldn't he be able to grow them?

Not talking about the book. Not talking about the crystal. Talking about the insta-grow ability. It can be literally anything Klei chooses. Wormwood has a specific crafting tab already, just add an item that lets him grow things. Because he's in the game TO FARM CROPS so now that he has absolutely no unique ability, why not give him one? The one that Wickerbottom absolutely does not need anymore. Everyone is choosing to ignore how obviously broken she is because this one time it inconveniences their super speed farming. Which sucks, I get it but they need to let go and accept that this has been a loooooooong time coming. 

1 hour ago, Queron81 said:

Maybe Wormwood should have the ability to grow the plants faster when tending to them. Or he could sing for them with a similar effect like the panflute. He could also have an ability to get detailed informations about the nutrients.

Singing makes really sense, like it. But growing should be only faster, not instantly.

I think that instead of getting another character abilities, his green thumb tab should be expanded.The new weeds seem to have the potential for some cool new recipes that could help in wormwoods survival, like he could make some sort of bear trap with a part of the spiny bindweed, a poisonous dart with firenettle fronds, something with the forget-me-lots flower, and something else with tillweeds (and of course, a way to exclusively farm these weeds)

7 hours ago, Lanaaa said:

Yes, thank you, we know. We all know. It has been established ad nauseam that the farming mechanics were not as efficient as hunting. That's not the point. The new farm plots as they are now make Wormwood's seed-planting ability completely obsolete. I don't care what you think about his wild crops, the problem is that we now have a character whose only semblance of a perk is now 100% achievable by every player. They need to address it.

His most interesting perk has always been his restricted healing, which he still has and has been completely unaltered. I just said that twice in a row.

9 hours ago, Zuffie said:

bruh he is useless

Honestly. This kind of stuff is never useful.

Thinking as a game designer, you know you always want to improve things for the better, but sometimes you just dont know how,
then you have people saying this kind of stuff and THATS IT...

At least give some kind of constructive criticism or suggestions on how he can be improved. Just saying "___ is bad" wont help anything...

okay rant over.

51 minutes ago, Queron81 said:

Maybe Wormwood should have the ability to grow the plants faster when tending to them. Or he could sing for them with a similar effect like the panflute.

Wormwood sounds rather quiet and the ability to sing for plants would rather fit to Wigfrid's Battle Songs (making farming more interesting for her by turning it into a battlefield), Walter's Storytelling (by telling a story to... plants), Wickerbottom's books, Winona's spotlights (to make them useful for at least something), Epic Screeching from Bosses, or to Wilson whenever he gets hurt.

1 hour ago, Slagger said:

Singing makes really sense, like it. But growing should be only faster, not instantly.

That is what I meant. The time between the phase changes should be a bit shorter (like 33%). Wormwood could also get a higher chance for seeds when harvesting the crops (because of his green thumb).

4 minutes ago, Queron81 said:

That is what I meant. The time between the phase changes should be a bit shorter (like 33%). Wormwood could also get a higher chance for seeds when harvesting the crops (because of his green thumb).

im fairly certain it doesnt depend on a chance, instead of how many desires of the plant are fulfilled, so he should just get an extra seed

49 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

Wormwood sounds rather quiet and the ability to sing for plants would rather fit to Wigfrid's Battle Songs (making farming more interesting for her by turning it into a battlefield)

I'm not sure if plants like battle songs ;)

I do have to agree. The upside to Wormwood was the high cost of farms. Given it's now easy to plant 60+ seeds (generally the amount I get wandering when starting a new world), there's no real need for his ability unless you somehow can't decide where to base by day 13ish.

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

His most interesting perk has always been his restricted healing, which he still has and has been completely unaltered. I just said that twice in a row.

Perk- an advantage or benefit arising from a particular situation

Wormwood's restricted healing isn't a perk, it's his downside. He is now a character with next to no special ability (because all characters can mass produce vegetables as well as him now) and a huge downside (can't heal from food). I love playing Wormwood but now there is very little reason to pick him other than for challenge because he doesn't support the team.

Honestly if crops Wormwood planted didn't need all 6 criterias met to become giant-that would be huge already.

You could also just make his crops consume less water/fertilizer or simply grow quicker.

Or just make his hoeless planting better and allow him to place more than 9 crops in a plot.

Any one, or a combination of, these would put him in a much better spot imo.

50 minutes ago, SpookyXy said:

Perk- an advantage or benefit arising from a particular situation

Wormwood's restricted healing isn't a perk, it's his downside.

The benefit is the fun from the challenge. Wormwood's restricted healing is a perk.

50 minutes ago, SpookyXy said:

He is now a character with next to no special ability (because all characters can mass produce vegetables as well as him now) and a huge downside (can't heal from food). I love playing Wormwood but now there is very little reason to pick him other than for challenge because he doesn't support the team.

His wild crops are just as useless as they've always been. There was never a reason to pick him other than for challenge because he never supported the team. For a small fraction of the effort a Wilson could produce an order of magnitude more food than Wormwood could, that food would work in every season, and that food could feed everyone.

11 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

that is what i tried to say. He isnt useless, he still having that useful perk to keep time when plating seeds but now he isnt a MUST to farm veggies

maybe he needs another usefull tool but saying he is useless is like saying wickerbottom is death because 1 book gets nerfed

But Wormwood was never a "MUST" for planting veggies, because although wild crops were useful, it still had downsides. Farms required a lot of resources but once you had them made, you could continue using them forever. As it is now with this update, there is practically no reason to grow wild crops, and every character can easily and cheaply make farm plots. So yeah, pretty useless.

Archived