Reap what you Sow first impression

Yep, it's one of those threads and this time it's by yours truly.

I'm sure that I'm missing some important details, cuz it's barely been 2 hours since the beta branch is open. But I'm know yall will be more than happy to correct me.

Now before you read further on I do want to say that I acknowledge that this update might just be a preparation just like the turn of tides.

This update,  or rather the idea behind it, seems confusing.

Farms got deleted which is a big loss for the base building fans. However we no longer have to spend literall stacks of grass and rocks if we want some greens.

Farming has been changed from a boring activity to a tedious activity. From what I've seen and experienced crops work the same when it comes to gains. When you harvest them you get a single crop and some seeds to replant. Caged birds are now useless in farming. Gardening hat appear to work like cookbook- allowing you to check what each crop likes. 

Speaking of which- you now have to be a lot more invested in what seems to be no reward at all. Unless you get multiple crops after harvesting a happy plant I don't see no reason to waste your time on that. Since there's a scale for crops I assume that's the only reason why plants have all those requirements now- so that you can make a happy crop with heavy produce and gain braging rights. Was farming changed into a side activity? An in-game hobby just like fishing?

At first I thought that if you neglect your plants they'd just get up and beat you to death. But since nobody posted a datamined angry vegetable it seems that's not the case. Then letting your plants be stinky appears to only result in the new mob: Fruit Flies.

We got some new crops and stuff related to them but I don't know enough to talk about that.

I'm happy that Klei's decided to start making some big changes to the gameplay and to overhaul old content. But I'm just confused by what was done to farming.

Since the topic's title speaks of the update as a whole, I want to mention Wickerbottom's book huge nerf on growing grass, twigs, reeds and trees. 

I can understand why it was OP and changed on food related plants, and the new crops, but I think it should still affect all an un-edible plants growth within a screen away, beyond the 10 edibles limit.

What I propose: You use it near your farms or berries, and only 10 will be affected as it stands now. But any grass, twigs, tree, twiggy tree, reed, etc within a screen away will grow anyway (so the new mechanic for edibles, the old mechanic for resources)

i might be treading things already said, but i wanted to input my two cents into this situation:

so what do i like? well, i really love the new crop designs! their growth stages makes it all feel very unique to each plant and, if it's even possible to use as decor, can look very pretty. i also like how certain crops are for different seasons, that's all very nice too.

now what about things i dislike? i'm not sure about you all, but this situation seems a little complex. it all seems fairly confusing, with all the different fertilizers and percentage of being watered in each tile.... for me in my world specifically for testing it i feel like i caught on semi-quickly, but for someone joining after awhile or just picking up the game for their first time i feel like much of this could be too confusing. the old system feels overly simple, while this new one feels like it could be overly complicated. a difficult balancing act!

anyways, im sure whatever klei decides to change or do will be a good idea and fix many of the issues potentially present in this cool farming update. thank you for reading, i hope this didn't drag on for too long, and goodnight. or good morning. you pick

44 minutes ago, Stabbsworth said:

eh

hold up, aren't you the one who said where is base, got teleported and died to warm weather in my beta world?

But yeah, now since Birds only drop one seed per crop fed to it, this seems pointless. Also the time needed to grow crops takes so darn long, yet you only get one produce.

They say neglect your crops won’t kill them but you might regret it.. wonder if this spawns the lord of fruit flies and it then proceeds to eat all your crops or “Diseases” Them? 

I personally would like farming to require the player the actually TEND to their Crops, otherwise just like in real life.. a Wild Animal will get into and eat them.

This could even be used as an effective way to kite if done correctly- I just think that if there’s a nice tree full of juicy foods in it that there should be other hungry mobs looking to reap what you sow.

The game is called DONT STARVE after all... So why not let Bunnies come raid my garden and nibble all my Carrots if I don’t run them off? 

Or Crows Eating my Corn.. giving the Scarecrow structure an Actual Gameplay purpose beyond changing crows into yellow canaries.

Just now, Mike23Ua said:

They say neglect your crops won’t kill them but you might regret it.. wonder if this spawns the lord of fruit flies and it then proceeds to eat all your crops or “Diseases” Them? 

I'm pretty sure they don't disease, just ruin the mood of your plant. I spawned in a Fruit Fly, and a Friendly Fruit Fly, and they went in circles, one cursing the plant, the other one tending to it. And the Lord I am unsure of

2 hours ago, Baguettes said:

hold up, aren't you the one who said where is base, got teleported and died to warm weather in my beta world?

But yeah, now since Birds only drop one seed per crop fed to it, this seems pointless. Also the time needed to grow crops takes so darn long, yet you only get one produce.

yep, that's probably me. sounds like a me death.

i think i ended up going 'peck this' and proceeded to die via fire.

This update is still very confusing for me, I didn't like it right away. I no longer saw any reason to plant crops with me playing Wigfrid, now I really don't. I hope that until the official launch everything will be much clearer, more balanced and that it will be worth it for me to spend part of my time in the game and turn to the plantations.

I haven't played or seen the new farming yet, but my first impressions come from the following things:

Disease is gone for good. Absolute yes. Finally.

Bunnymen nerf - I never even liked using bunnymen as food source, so I'm not even bothered by that, but I can see how that nerf can be devastating for a lot of people.

Applied Horticulture nerf - Same thing, I've never really played Wicker, so the nerf doesn't bother me personally, but it is definitely going to make grass and twig grind much slower for megabase players.

Birds accepting raw monster meat - yes, it just removes an extra step, that's good

Birds not accepting cooked eggs - I was using this tactic, but not too often for it to matter. I'm ok with it being removed.

EDIT: After briefly trying it out, I think I already miss previous farms, because of just how simple they were - plant a seed and just wait for it to grow. New system is unnecessarily complicated (unless you can entirely ignore the tending, watering and different fertilizers, in which case I would be completely ok with it)

I'm very happy with this update, I'll be honest with you.
I like almost everything except one thing and that is the visual part...
Why these sprites have become so clean, neat and ordinary... I mean, seriously... Where did the strokes and angularity of the style go? ,_,
(Note: I didn't want to write this, because I respect and appreciate the work of developers, because they inspire me to create arts and follow this world, especially lore, but don't get me wrong, it looks a little different from all the previous concepts of the game.)
-sbNIs0wTNA.jpg?size=1322x824&quality=96&proxy=1&sign=959496ddcbf8f34d2e3060a08d14c73d

I don't like how badly Wickerbottom's ability to grow non-edible resources has been nerfed. Farm crops, sure, if Applied Horticulture still worked the same way it'd make a mockery of the new system. I could live with berry bush and stone fruit farms being lumped in with farm crops for the nerf, since they're still a competing plant-based food source. But this is a huge blow to grass farms, tree farms, twig farms, and cleared reed traps, with nothing in particular given back specifically to Wickerbottom to make up for that. The reed thing especially, since they can't be transplanted without mods and papyrus is an essential ingredient for her main power.

I like the new farming system itself; it feels much more vibrant. (The difficulty of expanding your harvest of a particular crop when you only get 1 seed from feeding that crop to a caged bird is not my favourite thing though.) I just don't like how Wickerbottom's been changed for the sake of interfacing with it. She was in a pretty good place before this.

1 hour ago, Russian_Philin said:

I'm very happy with this update, I'll be honest with you.
I like almost everything except one thing and that is the visual part...
Why these sprites have become so clean, neat and ordinary... I mean, seriously... Where did the strokes and angularity of the style go? ,_,
(Note: I didn't want to write this, because I respect and appreciate the work of developers, because they inspire me to create arts and follow this world, especially lore, but don't get me wrong, it looks a little different from all the previous concepts of the game.)

Looks like stuff from Oxygen Not Included. Maybe is a work of the same people.

At first glance it looks great, farming was long overdue for a rework/overhaul, i also love the wicker nerf, when i started playing don't starve i used to play her a lot, but had to stop at some point because she felt like cheating, main cause being this specific book.. 

On the other hand, when it comes to art direction, i said it before, i will say it again, you are going the wrong way.. 

Archived