Just curious, whats your favorite type of power source?

whats your favorite power source in game?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. power source (all that i know,comment down the stuff i didnt wrote down)

• sour gas boiler
    • geothermal
    • petrol boiler
    • regolith melter
    • solar panel
    • exploit based power source
    • geyser based
    • ranch (hatch coal farm or slickster farm)

i usually run out of power in mid-late game or i make too much power and my "power wasted" graph looks like a skyscraper
so i was curious what type of power source you guys use the most as im still "new" to the game (only played it for 6 month ish) and sometimes i get lucky and get lots of power but sometimes i just ran out of power and my colony dies (because no power for the sieve in bathroom loop,dupe pees,things break etc)
i usually make a sour gas boiler but i have no way of controlling the output so i make too much power (doesn matter cos its water positive loop and i can get more oil but still,i dont want to waste power)
please comment whats your favorite source of power (before DLC update)

I know a lot of the pros love cranking up the power with Sour Gas boilers etc., but I can't do that- I just can't bring myself to waste power, even when it's water-positive and essentially free. Am I alone in that?

Because I hate wasting power I tend to use Petroleum boilers that I can turn off.

My current base is a mini-baby base, and I'm running that solely from excess power from my SPOM and power from the heat coming in through bunker doors from regolith hitting them from space! (I do have back-ups, of course, A petroleum generator, natural gas generator and some hamster wheels on low-priority for idle dupes- but I never seem to need them). I've been leaving the base running idle for hundreds of cycles at 10x speed to see how the power unfolds but the heat from space seems to keep it all going!

Screenshot 2020-11-20 at 00.13.05.png

2 hours ago, ScreamingPict said:

I know a lot of the pros love cranking up the power with Sour Gas boilers etc., but I can't do that- I just can't bring myself to waste power, even when it's water-positive and essentially free. Am I alone in that?

Nope. in general I try not to overproduce renewable stuff. Petrol boilers make so much byproduct and I don't want to build a whole-ass infrastructure around dealing with it. By far my favorite petrol boiler is @Gamers Handbook. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csvObrEPtzg

On the other hand I like me a good regolith melter, probably because it deals with a renewable resource I can't really turn off and seems relatively less complicated without as many dependent systems.

13 hours ago, RnMss said:

Just to be clear, what is sour gas boiler and petrol boiler?

I think sour gas can not be used directly in a generator, it has to be condensed and vaporized into natural gas before used.

A "sour gas boiler" heats oil into sour gas and then chills it into methane. A rather challenging piece of machinery to optimize because of the sheer huge amount of heat that has to be pumped in and then back out.

It also will make you far more power than you could ever use. But they tend to be rather complex systems and temperamental.

Depends on the map, and the exact layout of geysers. Some maps give you easy access to Hydrogen or Natural Gas vents, but some maps their activity graphs will leave you high and dry for dozens of cycles if you're not careful.

Had a base suffocate to death because I didn't notice that the self powering oxygen setup wasn't powering the water pumps when the natural gas ran out. Whoops.

On 11/22/2020 at 12:19 PM, psusi said:

Hydrogen and Ethanol provide all the power I need.

Yeah, a lot of maps have sooooo much free Ethanol in the rust biomes you can run entirely off that in Petrol Generators (while getting ph2o out of it) for a very long time with supplemental power from the hydrogen byproduct of o2 production.

I never really play a colony long enough to need permenant solutions and I'm too bad at STEM to figure out how to make boilers or melters work anyway. Hell I can't even really get steam turbines working right most of the time (steam chamber always seems to lose temp causing system stoppage).

34 minutes ago, BlackGoat said:

Yeah, a lot of maps have sooooo much free Ethanol in the rust biomes you can run entirely off that in Petrol Generators (while getting ph2o out of it) for a very long time with supplemental power from the hydrogen byproduct of o2 production.

I meant just making ethanol from a few arbor trees.

23 hours ago, yoakenashi said:

What!? I haven’t been following the DLC threads; this is sad news. I love the meteor showers. :wilson_cry:

Lets pray for meteors and see what is in the full vanilla game after the full dlc launch in a month or so. I cant wait to play the full game again with all the changed and added dlc stuff.

1 minute ago, yoakenashi said:

I’d be okay with an asteroid/planet that had no meteors and another that had all meteors all the time. Maybe with magma just falling from the sky. Liquid sulfur. Brimstone. Yeah, this is a great idea! :D

If you could perhaps add a comment to this thread about it ? That would be great dear yoakenashi :afro: Wishing you good health and all the best.

Archived