Character limit?

Hey I'm just saying I think there should be a character limit because when I ever look at a public lobby all I'm seeing are three of the same Character and it can be really annoying. So I think that there should be a max limit of each character so like 1-2 players are able to play Wigfrid or like Wolfgang to make the game less annoying and this goes with any character. Please if you think there shouldn't be a character limit I would like to hear what you would say about this because in my opinion I think there should be one

This isn't a competitive game and in public servers most people do their own shenanigans, often playing alone. Thus it matters not even if entire server is full of same character. In pubs (the vanilla Survival KLei variety) majority of players die first couple of days anyway, and by 1st Winter most such servers are empty, prone to a new restart. My take: anyone should do whatever they desire in public dedicated servers (if owner doesn't impose certain rules).

Yeah- how about no? This game is full of character skins and cosmetics, and I for one don’t want to have to try to press the button to snag the character I want to play as before someone else can.

I understand that in a game like Apex Legends everyone can’t be Wraith.. but- For Don’t Starve Together how about we let people play as whoever they want to play as without the game forcing us to play as someone else who we may or may not suck at because our first choice has already been selected?

(And in my experience with this type of feature in every game I play more often then not the player who snags your character does a terrible job playing them.. there are of course the rare times people will actually be GOOD with your character but other then that it’s just a race to lock in your character choice fastest.)

I mean if people picking the same character is such a big problem to you- then just play Wilderness mode and next time you Die.. Respawn as someone they haven’t picked.

Why is it annoying? It's hilarious. If you want to impose a character limit you can host your own server, there's probably a mod that does that, and if there isn't you can just put people back at the character select screen if they pick a duplicate character, tell them to change, then watch them disconnect because they don't want to play on a server with such a ridiculous rule.

Usually when a new game starts I personally try to pick a character that I think could quickly provide something that the current team doesn't have.

For instance I main Woodie but If I join a server with 2 or even 3 already able Woodies, I'll pick another character, but mostly because I personally like to play around with different characters synergies.

The thing is, some characters synergize well with another of the same character, like Wendy (2 Abis will let you rush and consistently kill BQ often), or Wolfgang (damage as having 4 people, with just 2), or even Woodie (While one woodie acts as gatherer and focuses on Lucy and the beaver another focuses as the goose exploring the water, or the ruins, etc). Other characters don't synergize well with eachother, like Wickerbottom: More than one Wicker does not necesarily rush any wicker stuff, a Maxwell would probably be more useful. But since all characters can do everything anyway, it's not like the server is crippled.

So beyond a role playing server or something like that, I don't see a point in imposing the "one player one unique character" rule.

This should be choice. Like when you host a game, there should be a configuration about this just like "pvp" mode.

This would be nice, I agree with you. When I host a game; I write description about it and warn them when they join BUT they don't care and server gets full with Wigfrids and Wendys... So I kick them lol

Also isn't it wrong in story too? Like having 10 Maxwells in game lol

18 hours ago, BigDaddyChester said:

Hey I'm just saying I think there should be a character limit because when I ever look at a public lobby all I'm seeing are three of the same Character and it can be really annoying. So I think that there should be a max limit of each character so like 1-2 players are able to play Wigfrid or like Wolfgang to make the game less annoying and this goes with any character. Please if you think there shouldn't be a character limit I would like to hear what you would say about this because in my opinion I think there should be one

And later im the ignorant....

IMG-20200929-WA0014.jpg

Forcing this on everybody? No.

However, if it was simply a server option that was off by default but could be toggled on upon world creation (maybe even add the ability to adjust the limit to your liking) then I'd have no problem with this suggestion. Hell, I'd even argue it to be a good idea. But, that's the only way (I feel) this suggestion would be acceptable.

On 10/17/2020 at 5:11 AM, BigDaddyChester said:

N O

The majority of the community will agree that this game isn't a competitive one, alongside the fact that certain powerful character combos require two or more of the same character, alongside the other fact that if you do not play on pubs (which I assume you do, judging by the topic), you can play with friends and coordinate what characters to play to achieve certain things easier. You can't really forcefully decide someone's character for them in a multiplayer scene like this one. So, no.

telling someone they are only allowed to play if they play only by your rules under your supervision no exceptions feels really undesirable and gross. it is not only bad on the face of it but also sets the mood that player agency has no value so the whole game is tainted with the undercurrent that the host is going to make self-serving demands on everyone and that by accepted the limitation in the first place the player is obligated to continue making concessions or risk being not allowed to play

3 hours ago, gaymime said:

telling someone they are only allowed to play if they play only by your rules under your supervision no exceptions feels really undesirable and gross. it is not only bad on the face of it but also sets the mood that player agency has no value so the whole game is tainted with the undercurrent that the host is going to make self-serving demands on everyone and that by accepted the limitation in the first place the player is obligated to continue making concessions or risk being not allowed to play

plus the OP of this thread could easily just host their own server with their own mods.

the Klei Survival servers aren't going to install mods just for you, OP.

49 minutes ago, Voidbarker said:

plus the OP of this thread could easily just host their own server with their own mods.

the Klei Survival servers aren't going to install mods just for you, OP.

Maybe they’re not.. but I can also say Klei could add servers with the feature already applied without use of mods required.

How many times do I have to tell you people? Mods can not always be the answer to everything.

as long as it is completely optional and a feature I actively seek out myself- either through server settings or rooms dedicated to it.. I have no problem with it. but telling me I can’t play Wendy because there’s already 3 Wendy’s?

We got a BIG Problem.

7 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Maybe they’re not.. but I can also say Klei could add servers with the feature already applied without use of mods required.

How many times do I have to tell you people? Mods can not always be the answer to everything.

as long as it is completely optional and a feature I actively seek out myself- either through server settings or rooms dedicated to it.. I have no problem with it. but telling me I can’t play Wendy because there’s already 3 Wendy’s?

We got a BIG Problem.

quit putting words in my mouth. i never said that mods were the answer to absolutely everything.

i am simply stating that the OP can easily host their own server and do whatever the hell they'd like with it.

“You people” implies more then just You, it means anyone who said use a mod, instead of saying something like:

Hey you know.. that’s actually not a bad idea- Klei could easily added it into the game as a Server setting just like how there options to host worlds as Survival, Wilderness or Endless, they can also have one titled as something like “One Choice”

Saying that Klei survival servers aren’t going to install mods just for the OP- heavily implies that your telling the OP to host a world with a mod installed.

Dude.. if you don’t want to see my posts, there’s a pretty little block button conveniently located for you that prevents you from ever having to read or debate what I spend my time to type out- other people have used it, and if you don’t want see my posts I would kindly ask that you please do the same.

Archived