Which character is underrated in your opinion?

which character is underrated in your opinion?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. which character is underrated in your opinion?

• Wilson
    • Willow
    • Wolfgang
    • Wendy
    • Wx-78
    • Wickerbottom
    • Woodie
    • Wes
    • Maxwell
    • Wigfrid
    • Webber
    • Winona
    • Warly
    • Wortox
    • Wormwood
    • Wurt
    • Walter

so, how the title says, which characters is underrated in your opinion? why do you think that character is underrated? do you love that character? hate? respect? if you do love/hate that character, then why?

I pick Willow for this one because very few people can use her to the full potential. For example using her lighter instead of campfire to cook food, one of the best at surviving first day winter because of Bernie insulation, controls forest fire much easier, and using "BERNIE!" as a panic button.

I use her quite a lot for ship traveling since the campfire at ship allows her to gain sanity and also save logs.

I’m picking Wurt- hands down no contest: In my experience playing as Wurt she can build her own Kingdom.. think of it like Wonder Woman and her Army of Amazon’s.. Wurt and an Army of Merms is an incredibly Overpowered and Underrated thing.. People Ban her from rooms for her single downside of “Is a Vegetarian” 
Wurts tools never slip out of her hands regardless of how wet she becomes in Spring meaning.. that the Eyebrella can go to a character who needs it more.

I guess these people ban Wurt due to her not being able to heal by eating “Meta Foods?” but if that were the case: Why aren’t Wormwoods banned just as often?

I can’t really give this vote to Winona.. because AT LEAST people still find SOME use in her Catapults, Duct Tape and Spotlights.

Wurt though.. gets an underserved bad Rep

I voted for willow.

I've seen multiple people demanding for another willow rework. But I think she is very fun to play now after her rework.

Being able to walk around and control a 2000 health body guard and support your team by keeping BERNIE! active while there are any insane players at base, allowing them to kill the weakened shadows to get sanity back.

The whole idea of Bernie is extremely helpful in dst, because many rookie players can agree that it's very hard to get anything done when you are getting chased by a terror beak. And as a willow, you can help those players by just setting down bernie and letting him take the heat off of all nearby insane players. And if you really need to, you can put on a nightmare amulet or a bone helm to go insane to activate BERNIE to really help out.

As a Willow player, I usually play this sort of support role where I help out the others who are insane. And I do this by using a nightmare amulet (or bone helm if I have it) and 2 bernie's, and some tape from the local Winona. This way I can effectively help everyone finish what they need to do around base and keep them from dying.

47 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

People Ban her from rooms for her single downside of “Is a Vegetarian” 

I think people sometimes don't want Wurt in their multiplayer world for fear Wurt will build a bunch of hostile merm houses near base and not feed the king. Merms won't always be looking adorable in their winter hats saying "you okay" ...

I agree Wurt is one of the most underrated for single players, but she really is not made for multiplayer worlds.

I'd have several things to say about overrated characters, but I don't know about underrated characters. I see people play every character quite commonly and discussions about characters always have people who like them all in it.

1 hour ago, sinisterrkid said:

I think people sometimes don't want Wurt in their multiplayer world for fear Wurt will build a bunch of hostile merm houses near base and not feed the king. Merms won't always be looking adorable in their winter hats saying "you okay" ...

I agree Wurt is one of the most underrated for single players, but she really is not made for multiplayer worlds.

This is a matter of Opinion- a Webber player can place just as many unwanted guests in your base as Wurt can, But more Important then that-

If Wigfrid is always carrying meat in her inventory then people who build bunnyman farms in the base would be just as bad as Wurt and Merm huts.

I actually got called quote “A stupid idiot” last night because I built Pigmen houses in the base..

Long Rant in Spoiler- 

Spoiler

the hilarious part about that is the people I was playing with were not playing as Webber or Wortox- Half the freaking server were Wendy.. 

But because I guess of their lack of knowledge of how to build a stone wall and fence in pigs, or their premature fear of said pig becoming a Werewolf on a full moon- I got cussed out and told I didn’t know what I was doing- Immediately after they kicked me I went and hosted my own long lasting world.. they all joined- And were quite shocked to discover not only did I have pig huts cleverly placed in my base and blocked off as Wortox in a 180+ day world, But base was Intentionally placed inside the Mosaic Biome for the added challenge of having to rebuild and repair whatever meteors destroy, in a world that runs on Random Weather Seasons and Random Season lengths..

The TL:DR of this post is that: People should observe what other people do and actually let them finish what they do.. before jumping to conclusions that they don’t know how to play the game.

Even if I DIDNT plan to wall off the pigman huts- A server full of Wendy’s should have absolutely no problem at all keeping them from ever becoming a threat.

1 minute ago, WhackE said:

I never see any one play Wolfgang in pubs

Unless you plan to solo rush bosses, picking Wolfgang in public servers is a jerk move: Most Wolfgangs end up doing nothing but eating all the food located in someones base due to their 3x Hunger drain, and if they ain't eating that much, then they'll become kinda useless due to their 0.5x damage multiplier. Other than that, fighting bosses together is way more easier than alone.

35 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

Unless you plan to solo rush bosses, picking Wolfgang in public servers is a jerk move: Most Wolfgangs end up doing nothing but eating all the food located in someones base due to their 3x Hunger drain, and if they ain't eating that much, then they'll become kinda useless due to their 0.5x damage multiplier. Other than that, fighting bosses together is way more easier than alone.

Most Wolfgangs do nothing except eat all your food. Most Wilsons do nothing except eat all your food. Most Willows, Wendys, WXs, Wickerbottoms, Woodies, Wes, Maxwells, Wigfrids, Webbers, Warlys, Wormwoods, Winonas, Wortoxes, Wurts, and Walters do nothing except eat all your food. That's not a problem with Wolfgang, and if picking Wolfgang is a jerk move because most people playing him will do nothing except eat all the food, then simply joining a public server is a jerk move because most players will do nothing except eat all the food.

2 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

no, you're just wrong

Looks like a lot of people also agree about Willow—she's a great gal and playing her is enjoyable. I wish I would see her getting picked more often in public servers, she has a lot more potential for a fun gameplay than just griefing. 

5 hours ago, Cheggf said:

I'd have several things to say about overrated characters

I'm sort of thinking about making a topic on that, just to hear people's opinions. Could you tell me what you have to say? 

5 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

Isn't it only 3x hunger drain while in mighty form and 0.5x damage multiplier in wimpy form? If u stay in between I believe ur going to be a normal character.

3 hours ago, WhackE said:

no, you're just wrong

That isn't very helpful

5 hours ago, PrezPara said:

Isn't it only 3x hunger drain while in mighty form and 0.5x damage multiplier in wimpy form? If u stay in between I believe ur going to be a normal character.

In normal form he has 1.5x hunger drain and normal stats except for an above average 200 health, and in his different forms he gets up to 1-3x hunger drain, 0.5-2x damage and 0.9-1.25x speed. His drain is only 3x if you're at the full 300 hunger, when you dip below that both the drain and bonuses will decrease I believe linearly.

6 hours ago, Pinegrove said:

I'm sort of thinking about making a topic on that, just to hear people's opinions. Could you tell me what you have to say? 

I'd like to preface this by saying that I'm going to use really general language. "People say" and "they think" and such. I know not everyone thinks or says this, but it's very common opinions from what I've seen. These characters also all do have upsides to them, but their upsides are not nearly as large as what people say they are.

People really overhype Wolfgang, Warly, and Wormwood. They think they're all extremely overpowered characters when it's more like they're a good character, a roleplay character, and a challenge character.

For Wolfgang people really hype up that enormous 2x damage modifier, which is very powerful. But they don't think about how much of their time is spent fighting and how much of their time is spent doing literally anything else. He's certainly a very good character and that speed boost helps a lot, but he's not an overpowered gamebreaking character like people think he is. Maybe if you're trying to set a speedrun world record for killing a certain boss then closing the server he's overpowered, but not for normal gameplay.

For Wormwood people really love seeing entire screens full of crops, thinking he's this incredible food supplier. They don't notice how much time they're spending gathering all the seeds, all the time they're spending picking every crop, all the time they're spending feeding a bunch to the bird, all the time they're spending grabbing the seeds off the floor, and all the time they're spending planting those crops back again. Even ignoring the fact that Wigfrid can't eat his food and only use it as filler, and the fact that it doesn't grow in winter, and the fact that they will rot if not picked quick enough, and I believe the fact that it will wilt in summer without a flingomatic, and the fact of how much space it takes up, you can get a lot more food for a lot less initial setup time and waaay less upkeep if you just do something like make a bunnyman farm. If you want to be a dedicated food supplier character then Wickerbottom is a lot better because, in addition to her other books such as On Tentacles, you will get a lot more food and a lot better food for a lot less work if you do something like spam Applied Horticulture on lichen / stone fruit / juicy berries, or spam Birds of the World and Sleepytime Stories. People also really like to combine Wormwood and Wickerbottom so that two people are using his extremely slow food supply, when just a Wickerbottom alone would be much faster if she read her book for things that didn't require being fed to the bird and manually replanted every time.

For Warly people really ignore the cost of his dishes, and the requirements of their bonuses to take effect. They see that he can make people have a 1.8x or even 3x damage multiplier so they think he's this must-have support. They don't think about all the time he's spending getting the materials for farms, all the time he's spending making farms, all the time he's spending planting at farms, all the time he's spending feeding the bird crops and repeatedly gambling over and over until he gets a 2.6% chance crop to grow and then repeatedly give 67% of those crops to the bird so he can slowly grow his farm up to the point where he finally has enough of that crop to be able to start making the seasonings. They don't think about the time it takes to go to the Oasis and farm volt goats. All for a measly 20% and 50% damage bonus, one smaller than all three fighters and one on-par with the second strongest fighter. You're almost definitely losing time instead of gaining it for making those dishes, although volt goat chaud-froid is a lot easier to get and could potentially reach a 2.5x bonus if it's raining so that one's a lot more appealing.

If you want to take the game super seriously and tryhard your pants off, most of his dishes are a net loss of time instead of a net gain. He basically just has honey crystals, glowberry mousse, and some volt goat chaud-froid peppered in. Maybe you could make some super niche use cases for extra dishes but overall most of them are a loss of time. He's a ton of fun to play and probably my second most played character ever since he came out in Together, but he's really not as good as people say he is.

Speaking of overhypness, I would pick Wx-78 as most overrated character. Never understood why he's part of the Holy Trinity.

Having huge health pool doesn't help much with time efficiency.

Its hypeness probably began with pesky youtubers long ago who swore only by ruins rushing, and there are other good choices now for that purpose.

21 minutes ago, Petit Citron said:

Speaking of overhypness, I would pick Wx-78 as most overrated character. Never understood why he's part of the Holy Trinity.

Having huge health pool doesn't help much with time efficiency.

Its hypeness probably began with pesky youtubers long ago who swore only by ruins rushing, and there are other good choices now for that purpose.

Easier ruin rush and cleaning, being able to eat gear (no bundle needed), total inmunity agains winter cold+light+speed bonus (if wickerbottom is in the team or big amount of telelocator staff avaraible) and op stats

Compare that with the default survivor and tell he isnt OP xD

Also i think the old trinity should be amplified to the big 5 (adding wortox and wendy)

Yeah that's an old argument which has never been a valid one. Wx is OP if there's a Wicker in the team.

Everyone's strong when there's a Wicker in the team. We're talking about the value a single character can bring to a random team, or in solo.

Wortox is a decent contender to ruins rusher title ; 400 health is of little use with a good player and 300 sanity is rather unpractical for fuel farming.  Honestly I still don't get it.

Voted Maxwell but been hesitating with Wilson. Vanilla experience, no downside. He's nothing to sneeze at.

Archived