Which character is underrated in your opinion?

which character is underrated in your opinion?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. which character is underrated in your opinion?

• Wilson
    • Willow
    • Wolfgang
    • Wendy
    • Wx-78
    • Wickerbottom
    • Woodie
    • Wes
    • Maxwell
    • Wigfrid
    • Webber
    • Winona
    • Warly
    • Wortox
    • Wormwood
    • Wurt
    • Walter

I think maxwell is properly rated: he's a harder to use character, mostly aimed at advanced players that are not interested in crippling themselves as Wes, saves a lot of time, and its not really OP in the long run (unless he is paired with Wicker books, then he is a demigod)

Wurt can be insanely good, gathering, killing bosses, farming stuff, her merms reappear often and are super good. With a Woodie to help fasten up the early game (moon island stuff, early wood gathering) she has the potential to become the true carry of any server. 

She fares pretty well alone too, just has a slower early game.

If it wasn't for some weird design flaws and mostly all the bugs she has, she'd be among top 5 in my list. I think she's underapreciated.

12 minutes ago, Petit Citron said:

Yeah that's an old argument which has never been a valid one. Wx is OP if there's a Wicker in the team.

Everyone's strong when there's a Wicker in the team. We're talking about the value a single character can bring to a random team, or in solo.

Wortox is a decent contender to ruins rusher title ; 400 health in of little use with a good player and 300 sanity is rather unpractical for fuel farming.  Honestly I still don't get it.

Voted Maxwell but been hesitating with Wilson. Vanilla experience, no downside. He's nothing to sneeze at.

i get your point but there is the numbers. More health can be useless if you kite 100% of the times but having 400 makes you have more room for mistakes and making you able to do more dps by tanking with no armor. More stomach to dong worry about eating (sounds weak but still being a perk) and farming shadows isnt a issue if you bone helm or purple amulet (or just going to a hot place in the ruins). The sanity pool is useful in some situations. When i said  he is op is because, compared to wilson, he has a lot more chances to survive with his perks.

All characters are strong with wickerbottom but he shines with her

ofc, i want him to be reworked and 1 thing about i want it is because he doesnt offers nothing to the team, more than being a strong character. As you said, wortox can do the same but offering his healings and letting player eat real food meanwhile he enjoys souls.

but if we have to compare him with the other group of op's, he is the less op in a coop enviroment, behind wendy, wigfrid, wortox and much less usefull as the poor wurt (which can get similar stats+ all her other perks)

From CarlZalph's server inquiry on August 11 (I haven't found a later-date one to be more accurate, yet I don't think bottom of said list changed much in the meanwhile) it seems less used - thus eligible for "most underrated" title - characters are Wes, Wurt and Wormwood (followed by Wortox, Warly, and Maxwell).

Current topic's poll points at Wurt, Willow, and Winona as main contenders for "most underrated" characters.

While server inquiry mainly accounts for character general easiness in bulk player-base, and current poll targets character utility in (mostly, I assume) advanced player-base, the overlap shows Wurt as most "underrated" survivor. Makes sense, as for newbies/noobs/casuals she has pretty consistent downsides (vegetarian diet, default-attacked by pigs), while for advanced players her merms are lacking in certain situations, has attributes with doubtful implementation (merm character not able to swim, sanity con when wet even if amphibian and strong grip perk, etc) and - most important for multiplayer - her merms become a hazard if king's not present (time dependency, needing constant care by players).

6 hours ago, Petit Citron said:

Its hypeness probably began with

It started in single player Don't Starve, not only before recent character reworks, but before the orignal DST updates to some characters, including Maxwell, who is not that time-efficient in his single-player version. WX compares way better in that scenario.

There are also factors such as in DS the main way of reviving yourself late-game being through Meat Effigy, which reduces MAXIMUM health by 30 points. So the only character that is able to go around this (and then some) by eating gears figures really nicely. (There are no booster shots on DS, though when the Meat Effigy gets used/destroyed the health goes back to normal.)

In Shipwrecked especially, WX has the easiest time, because in that DLC Boat Knights are basically frequent gear deliveries, allowing characters to stock up chests full of it, and there is also Hurricane season, with lightning happening almost constantly for a couple of days. AND he can't get poisoned...

In current DST the 'holy trinity' concept doesn't apply, but I haven't seen anyone trying to argue that it does for a long time, anyway.

9 hours ago, Cheggf said:

-long post about OP characters and the Set Up it takes to achieve their OP Perks-

... I Can Literally say the Same thing about Wendy- People don’t see all the carefully burned single stack of sticks to obtain ashes (without burning an entire forest down mind you) People don’t see all the time spent gathering flowers, Building Sisturn, Placing Flowers into Sisturn, Monitoring the freshness of said flowers in Sisturn, replacing them when required.., they don’t see the time spent Questing into grave yards to find and help Pipspook and get Mourning Glory to build Ectoherbology potions- They just see Wendy as this OP Easy mode god tier character- Without looking at how much time and set up costs it takes to achieve this level of OP’ness

And I think that’s what DST IS/ And Should be.. each character should have this very specific to them role or niche that they need to be doing frequently to make them useful- for Wendy that is making sure Sisturn has good unspoiled flowers inside, creating Ectoherbology potions and clever careful use of Abigail- Wrecklessly using Abigail will just result in more time waiting for her to return to full health, & wasted ecto potions.

3 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

From CarlZalph's server inquiry on August 11 (I haven't found a later-date one to be more accurate, yet I don't think bottom of said list changed much in the meanwhile) 

It's important to note that all 3 DLC characters, being under a paywall of some sorts, will score lower than they normally would if they were included in the base game. 

Judging by those reports and what I generally see on public servers I believe wortox would score much higher if it was free, and Wurt even if free, would still score poorly.

3 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

current poll targets character utility in (mostly, I assume) advanced player-base, the overlap shows Wurt as most "underrated" survivor.

This exactly.

9 hours ago, FrozenMountan said:

I voted for woodie as you can help others a lot by looting the lunar island or doing some heavy deforestation in hopes of living logs.  

As a Woodie main, going to lunar island as goose can really save sometime for the group, especially if it's just for a minor task like throwing bath bombs into pools.

Wes is underrated and mocked for being weak, nobody outside of any Roleplay Server (unless your a pro) will not play Wes. He has no good perks to balance him and I don't think there should be "hardmode" people can make a mod to revert him to normal like this mod for Classic Were-beaver mode for Woodie. He was rejected out of an update for a joke to say how much they 'care' about Wes. 

36 minutes ago, Pinkamena11FazP said:

Wes is underrated and mocked for being weak, nobody outside of any Roleplay Server (unless your a pro) will not play Wes. He has no good perks to balance him and I don't think there should be "hardmode" people can make a mod to revert him to normal like this mod for Classic Were-beaver mode for Woodie. He was rejected out of an update for a joke to say how much they 'care' about Wes. 

Wes will probably be one of the next to last characters Klei refreshes to be honest: you need to see how much better every other character became with their new powers, abilities, Craftable items etc... before you can determine how much Wes needs to change.

I predict that Wes may even become Klei’s most controversial refresh- because in order to make him more useful to a team he has to actually gain something of value, which is only going to make the people expecting him to remain pretty much the same- Highly upset.

The only thing I want addressed with his rework- Wes’s challenges of playing Wes shouldn’t also bleed over into other players who did NOT select to play Wes and therefore do not wish to endure his downsides as if they themselves had picked  to play Wes.

To summarize that into a TL:DR- Weapons and Armor last longer for literally any other character besides Wes, And to top that off and add insult to injury he has nothing of any significant value to offer a TEAM.

Take Warly and Womwood as good challenge heroes for example: Warly is super picky with what he eats and will only eat foods that have been prepared in a crockpot- This downside only impacts WARLY and not the Wigfrid having to craft Wes another Spear or Helm for the 15th time.

Wormwood can’t heal from eating any type of foods, but he also can’t take damage from eating bad foods either.. Wormwoods inability to heal from eating food is a downside that does not effect any other character, and actually synergies well with Wortox healing him.

Willows downside of freezing when she feels cold doesn’t effect an entire server full of people.. 

The way Wes is currently designed, was designed with Single Player gameplay in mind.. and in a single player game- Wes is perfect without need for any changes, but throw him in Multiplayer- and he needs to become more like Wormwood and Warly, Characters who’s challenges only impact Themselves and not everyone else around them.

On 10/15/2020 at 7:26 AM, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Easier ruin rush and cleaning, being able to eat gear (no bundle needed), total inmunity agains winter cold+light+speed bonus (if wickerbottom is in the team or big amount of telelocator staff avaraible) and op stats

Compare that with the default survivor and tell he isnt OP xD

Also i think the old trinity should be amplified to the big 5 (adding wortox and wendy)

Relying on another character can make alot of characters alot better than they'd be otherwise ever seen how fast a wurt can build a merm kingdom when paired with woodie and his inflated hp is nice but I feel like if you have proper healing and good kitting it doesn't matter much heck in some cases wig has more effective hp due to her vampirism his gear eatting is without doubt a good ability but there are plenty of abilities that rival it. Personally I can't see why he's part of the big 3 either he's very fast and can ignore winter but requires a charger, he's a tank but depending on how good at fighting you are wig can get you bigger bang for your buck on tanking, he can eat gears for a overall heal but it requires you to go to the ruins or actively hunt gears which is useful but not completely necessary he is a great character but I always thought op was pushing it.

woodie 100% his transformations are very cool in early game and hes very good for base building, his goose are op, saving a lot of time and log for boats, if u like wormwood beacuse him living logs, woodie are much better in diferents  ways and he can living log easy.

Winona is also an extremely helpful character for Willow as well. Being able to have a stack of 40 bernie repairs instead of just 5 with a sewing kit is extremely helpful and a very big silk saver.

I'd gladly help any winona on the server if it means getting some tape

21 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Klei’s most controversial refresh

I hope they do fix him cause I don't know if that joke of an "update" for Wes was them saying: This is how we care about Wes and will never fix him.   or  We are just messing around and will probably do him last.    I want him to be good outside of Roleplay servers where Wes can't be as weak as he is in general. You people who play Wes on Solo can keep the hardmode, I don't think he should be 'hardmode' on a game that's for multiplayer and consider Wes a burden to the point they would rather ban Wes than anything. I doubt he will be though, I just wish there was a way to make Wes better like he was refreshed. He's super neglected and needs a lot of TLC if he's going to be updated. Just in General I feel like Wes is HIGHLY underrated.

21 minutes ago, Pinkamena11FazP said:

I feel Wes is HIGHLY underrated.

Underrated means more useful then they appear to be- Which Wes is not.. (the person playing him might be useful but the CHARACTER Himself is 100% not useful.)

Which is why I went with Wurt- Who can actually be incredibly useful- just last night I watched a newbie player die repeatedly trying to get to his gear that he just happened to die because he got too close to a Merm hut. After watching him fail a few times insisting not to be given help and let him learn the game his way-

I finally just created a Clever Disguise handed it to him and told him to put it on to get his stuff- then I explained that the clever disguise is a Wurt exclusive craftable item so no amount of knowledge he could’ve learned on his own could’ve helped him build a Clever Disguise, the player thanked me for helping him to retrieve his own stuff.

Sure it’s an incredibly situational perk to have... but the whole point is it was helpful.

Wes.. however Is not- They could make Wes more challenging by making every hound wave or Shadow creature in the server target him over other characters, and he would indirectly become actually Useful.

Thats my two-cent worth on Wes.

3 hours ago, Pinkamena11FazP said:

I hope they do fix him cause I don't know if that joke of an "update" for Wes was them saying: This is how we care about Wes and will never fix him.   or  We are just messing around and will probably do him last.    I want him to be good outside of Roleplay servers where Wes can't be as weak as he is in general. You people who play Wes on Solo can keep the hardmode, I don't think he should be 'hardmode' on a game that's for multiplayer and consider Wes a burden to the point they would rather ban Wes than anything. I doubt he will be though, I just wish there was a way to make Wes better like he was refreshed. He's super neglected and needs a lot of TLC if he's going to be updated. Just in General I feel like Wes is HIGHLY underrated.

a character with 0,75 damage and few hunger increase can still being so useful in a sand box game where experience is the 90% of the contribution to the team

ofc i will be happy if they add some tools and mime stuff to his perks

5 hours ago, Pinkamena11FazP said:

wortox is harder than wes though. wes just suffers an image problem. he's got a worse rep than he deserves and people perpetuate that bad rep without actually playing him for any length of time

14 hours ago, gaymime said:

wortox is harder than wes though

Big laugh

Wortox is by far one of the easiest characters, due to the ability to abuse his souls hunger and health effects simply by farming mobs like butterflies and spiders.

And his downsides are fairly negligible.

Wes though is FAR from the hardest character, he's really not that bad, you're right about the negative stereotype.

The issue is that by picking him, you are objectively being more of a drain on your teams resources than a majority of other characters, and he has no good perk to give back to your team like Warly does.

2 hours ago, Scrimbles said:

Wortox is the easiest character due to the ability to abuse his souls hunger and health effects simply by farming mobs like butterflies, bee’s and spiders.

And his downsides are Non-Existent.

Wes though is FAR from the hardest character, he's just really bad.

If you pick him, you ARE being more of a drain on team resources than every single other character, Including Wendy now who USED to hit weaker.. but with Abigails petal Bestowment that downside is negated. Wes truly has no good perks whatsoever to give back to your team like Warly & Wormwood.

There :) I fixed your post for you-

Most the time the Strengths and Weaknesses of a character and rather or not they are actually good or not would be entirely subjective to your own biased opinion of who you like or can play best..

But when it comes to WES he literally has nothing at all of any value to offer a team, and as much as people don’t want Wes to change.. 

I Want Klei to live up to their own spoken words-

2C3C549A-5CCD-44D5-A035-11D1097F2909.thumb.jpeg.b2e4a5575bcb00bfbae0d86f7ba0094f.jpeg

That does not necessarily mean to make Wes any less challenging.. It simply means to make him FUN and actually Interesting to  play as- and one example of how they could do that is have all the hounds in a hound wave target and chase Wes.. which makes him no less challenging, but certainly makes everyone who isn’t Wes’s life a lot easier.

In the end: Wes still has to live up to his Compendium description, Which is: Practices Ballon”o”Mancy (whatever that even is) and Has trouble staying alive. But at the exact same time- he can’t continue to feel like a wasted character slot.

Only time will tell (through the remaining refreshes like Wilson’s) how little or how much Wes needs to change- 

But one things for certain: Underrated means “Something that actually holds more value then people give it.”

And currently- that can never be Wes.

5 hours ago, Scrimbles said:

Big laugh

Wortox is by far one of the easiest characters, due to the ability to abuse his souls hunger and health effects simply by farming mobs like butterflies and spiders.

And his downsides are fairly negligible.

Wes though is FAR from the hardest character, he's really not that bad, you're right about the negative stereotype.

The issue is that by picking him, you are objectively being more of a drain on your teams resources than a majority of other characters, and he has no good perk to give back to your team like Warly does.

exactly what drain are you talking about? because i've not met any wes' who were more resource intensive than a wolfgang and i know several. also wortox requires you to not only be capable and comfortable to run around in the dark to mine souls in the caves but also be able to intuit luck-based mob appearances on long ocean voyages. he also cannot benefit from traditional farming options so having him at a community base means either you have to eat a lot of extra resources to pen your mobs or you have give them up/move them off-base unless you are keen on having him constantly defending against them. i've played both and wortox requires a lot more preparation and upkeep to manage

Wes should just be the character that can create a lot of decorations and whatnots for the base, more people will chose to play wes if thats the case, i would like to suggest wes be able to mimic items and structures with balloons and be able to pick it up to the inventory but they are one time use and is less/more effective 

12 hours ago, gaymime said:

exactly what drain are you talking about? because i've not met any wes' who were more resource intensive than a wolfgang and i know several. also wortox requires you to not only be capable and comfortable to run around in the dark to mine souls in the caves but also be able to intuit luck-based mob appearances on long ocean voyages. he also cannot benefit from traditional farming options so having him at a community base means either you have to eat a lot of extra resources to pen your mobs or you have give them up/move them off-base unless you are keen on having him constantly defending against them. i've played both and wortox requires a lot more preparation and upkeep to manage

The hunger drain, and the fact that he's going to use more hits to kill mobs which means more resources taken for equipment (If you dont include the Hambat of course).

It's an objective fact that you are draining more food over all, for no unique benefit.

Now, a good player can kinda ignore hunger as a threat and collect mountains of food, but that goes for any character pick.

Edit: If a player picks Wes, my first thought is that "oh, they are just going to require more food than anyone else". Now, maybe that player is good and it doesn't matter, or maybe that player is really bad and is making it worse by picking Wes, but from a first glance all you can get from Wes is that he takes more resources for no CHARACTER output.

With someone like Warly, he may be taking more food, but I can hopefully shower him with honey and get some honey crystals in return, something that ONLY Warly can provide.

Archived