Which character is underrated in your opinion?

which character is underrated in your opinion?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. which character is underrated in your opinion?

• Wilson
    • Willow
    • Wolfgang
    • Wendy
    • Wx-78
    • Wickerbottom
    • Woodie
    • Wes
    • Maxwell
    • Wigfrid
    • Webber
    • Winona
    • Warly
    • Wortox
    • Wormwood
    • Wurt
    • Walter

4 minutes ago, Scrimbles said:

The hunger drain, and the fact that he's going to use more hits to kill mobs which means more resources taken for equipment (If you dont include the Hambat of course).

It's an objective fact that you are draining more food over all, for no unique benefit.

Now, a good player can kinda ignore hunger as a threat and collect mountains of food, but that goes for any character pick.

Edit: If a player picks Wes, my first thought is that "oh, they are just going to require more food than anyone else". Now, maybe that player is good and it doesn't matter, or maybe that player is really bad and is making it worse by picking Wes, but from a first glance all you can get from Wes is that he takes more resources for no CHARACTER output.

With someone like Warly, he may be taking more food, but I can hopefully shower him with honey and get some honey crystals in return, something that ONLY Warly can provide.

wortox is so op but still being more difficult than wes for a non experience player

Just now, ArubaroBeefalo said:

wortox is so op but still being more difficult than wes for a non experience player

For a low skill player sure, as a high skill player he is a cake walk.

I tend to think of the higher tier of player when judging character skill, rather than the lower tier, obviously someone like Wortox takes a decent amount of knowledge that a lower skill player just naturally wouldn't have until they have experienced the game more.

Just now, Scrimbles said:

For a low skill player sure, as a high skill player he is a cake walk.

I tend to think of the higher tier of player when judging character skill, rather than the lower tier, obviously someone like Wortox takes a decent amount of knowledge that a lower skill player just naturally wouldn't have until they have experienced the game more.

for a experience player wortox has no sense at all, im with you in that

2 hours ago, Scrimbles said:

snip

why am i not surprised you chose the weak answer? wes' hunger drain is only an issue for the group if the player is lazy/inexperienced enough that they don't actually put the work in and in that case they are equal to a wolfgang of the same effort/skill level(with the same hunger drain might i add). you are equating player capacity with character value and following it up with a statement that has no real-world application(that the character perks are guaranteed when an untried person comes to play) doesnt actually lend credibility to the argument since aside from the pick'n'switch gallery players arent really expected to choose their character with the intent to serve the group unless they specifically ask and even then there is no garuntee

also if your concern is that wes is a bad fighter then why would you have him fight? he is perfectly capable of collecting resources or cooking or any of the other noncombative tasks that a group needs done not every team is going to have a wormwood or a warly or a woodie. let your wes do general work that any of the survivors could do, as far as i know aside from winona noone makes 20 rope any faster than anyone else

37 minutes ago, gaymime said:

why am i not surprised you chose the weak answer? wes' hunger drain is only an issue for the group if the player is lazy/inexperienced enough that they don't actually put the work in and in that case they are equal to a wolfgang of the same effort/skill level(with the same hunger drain might i add). you are equating player capacity with character value and following it up with a statement that has no real-world application(that the character perks are guaranteed when an untried person comes to play) doesnt actually lend credibility to the argument since aside from the pick'n'switch gallery players arent really expected to choose their character with the intent to serve the group unless they specifically ask and even then there is no garuntee

also if your concern is that wes is a bad fighter then why would you have him fight? he is perfectly capable of collecting resources or cooking or any of the other noncombative tasks that a group needs done not every team is going to have a wormwood or a warly or a woodie. let your wes do general work that any of the survivors could do, as far as i know aside from winona noone makes 20 rope any faster than anyone else

"Now, a good player can kinda ignore hunger as a threat and collect mountains of food, but that goes for any character pick. " - Me, in the same post you are quoting.

The fact that Wes as a character drains more resources for no extra upside is inarguable.

10 minutes ago, gaymime said:

Not to sound rude, but i really don't see your point nor light in any of your comparisons. Truth is, experienced player can cake walk ANY character, no matter the downsides. Some characters outshine others and it usually all boils down to the things you, yourself said quite a bunch of times, which is effectiveness, usefulness and contributions to the team, if there is one that is. I'm gonna be completely blunt here, most characters do things better than Wes because of his kit. Among the community, Wes is recognized as either a "pro only character" or a "troll pick". Your experiences can differ from others, i have no clue what kind of Wolfgangs you met that did their job worse than a Wes, other than having a lack of character knowledge. As to your "why fight?" statement, most things you can do to prove yourself useful, despite being a house wife, will require FIGHTING. Scrimbles's point is that Wes's quicker hunger loss and lower damage drawback will force you to plan further ahead. It will take more time to kill a mob/boss compared to other characters. Wortox isn't hard to understand, he can live solely off his collected souls, and any player that has played him or the game for more than few days can understand that. Wes is overshadowed by every other character that can do things better or faster than him, that's his current position in the game. Of course it changes entirely when speaking about game experience. To me atleast, Wortox is vastly more easy to understand and master than Wes as a new/unexperienced player, wanna know why? Because Wortox has an actual abillity that helps him survive, that being soul collecting. Not only does it restore a chunk of hunger but can also heal you and serve as a means of quick transportation, Wes however, has a pile of balloons that the longer you play as him, you find out that it's pretty useless and that's about it. In the end, it's all based on game knowledge, group of people you're playing with and your own motivations for playing the chosen character.

TL;DR : Wortox is easy to understand, and so is Wes. Experienced Wes ≠ Inexperienced Wolfgang.

Wes and Wilson are both ineligible for Underrated characters- Underrated means that they have to have something to offer to a Team.

Wait Wilson has a the ability to grow a beard, which doesn’t sound like much.. but when shaved off is a passive way to obtain beard hair- An ingredient used both in creation of Meat Effigy AND Willows Bernie Dolls.

So I take that back- Sorry looks like it’s still just Wes that’s Ineligible for this list.

Also Wortox is OP even in the hands of a total noob, Especially so if there is a Wendy mass murdering frogs or spiders nearby- 20+ souls in one go.. If the player has trouble using souls, then they would have trouble also summoning and commanding Abigails ghost... And THAT player- No matter which character they pick is going to have a bad time until they learn the game a little more.

Wortoxs only real downside (that I can find anyway) is that he gets murdered hilariously if he happens to step into a village full of Pigs, Bunnymen or Merms.. Something a good Wortox player won’t have to worry about- but a bad one well... if they don’t know how to summon Abigail or use souls I am also going to assume they don’t know that Pigs aren’t friendly to Wortox.. and they are going to Die.

Sanity drain shouldn’t be an Issue for Wortox either.. Couple plucked flowers to build a head garland or silks for a top hat and your good to go- As always you can just pick a few flowers in a field to regain Sanity (or place them into Sisturn and stand near it) 

As long as someone knows how to eat souls for hunger and to release them for Area of effect health- Wortox is the most OP character in the entire game.

being able to passively heal an entire group of players just by releasing souls in their near vicinity is nothing to easily Dismiss.

While Wurt is my #1 pick for this list, my #2 pick would be Willow herself.. And here are a few reasons Why-

#1- Her Lighter lasts roughly 10x as long as a torch, they’re easy to craft and can be supplied to everyone.. which is great for an Emergency light source or until you craft higher tier light sources like lanterns or Miners Hat.

#2- Willow (as well as Walter) can use the lighter to instantly cook foods, which may not sound like much on paper but can save you resource costs of setting up a campfire just to cook a few meat, birchnuts, Mushrooms.. etc and eat or use for Sanity Manipulation in a pinch.

#3- Willow has Bernie, a stuffed Teddy Bear that will provide her with a little extra warmth while holding, not that great a perk but a perk nonetheless, Bernie will ENRAGE to become BERNIE! When Willow is low on Sanity, BERNIE! Is designed to Target Nightmare monsters first and for most, making him the single best source to farm Nightmare fuel with in the entire game.. and as an added perk- even if Willow is NOT around Bernie.. it will still animate to life and dance around distracting  (but not attacking) shadow monsters for any low sanity player near a Bernie doll.

#4- Willow is IMMUNE to taking any sort of fire damage, which when your base starts to Smolder up on fire and there’s a Willow in the Center of your base does not necessarily mean she Maliciously set all your crap on fire, She could very well be there trying to quickly Smoother out those fires & with no cost to her own Health in the process of attempting to do so.

Conclusion: Much like Wurt, people ban Willows from servers for her extreme griefing potential, and it’s a Mindset that needs to stop..

(Slightly off-topic but still Somewhat on topic game suggestion in spoiler)

Spoiler

I play ARK Survival Evolved and in that game at the top of your screen in a Big Bold  Red letters anytime someone or something gets destroyed or killed that belongs to YOU the game will Inform you of it- This is a feature that could and SHOULD be adapted into DST.. because I don’t want to take a long trip around the map only to return to a burned down or hammered down base realizing that it’s been too many game days to roll the servers back to before this dirty Deed.

And with vitally important structures like that ancient (p-word I’ll butcher if I tried to type) station being able to be destroyed- it makes DST one of the LAST games on earth I would actually want to play with a group of strangers. Even though DST only holds 6 players at most (for Xbox)

To put this into a TL:DR Context for the people Working at Klei and maybe looking for game improvement Ideas- Ark is a Multiplayer MMO style survival game that can hold up to 70 players in a server at once (on Xbox) yet in all of my time playing Ark I’ve never had to Worry too much about players grieving due to that nifty bold red notification of my stuff being destroyed/killed.. I can quickly hurry back to Base to defend my stuff.. 

OR in DST’s case it should read as “Player X has hammered down/ burned your Shadow Manipulator”

Which would then allow me to promptly ban them and rollback to right before the dirty deed was done.

And if a player builds and then destroys their OWN created structures, no Notification will be given out.

No more blaming the innocent Willow who gets blamed for all fires just because she spawns with a freaking lighter in hand!

No more guessing who’s worth playing with and who’s only pretending to be trustworthy.

In a PVE enabled server other players grieving should never be a factor in your enjoyment of the game.. But in PvP Anything should go and again- no notifications should pop up.

I say wurt just because of her low spoiliage time for fish in her inventory. Many people don't know about this or they don't know that a scorching sunfish will heat you up and ice bream will cool you. And since all the characters can hold a fish for only a day until it dies, wurt is the only one who can benefit from this easily. (she has a thermal stone, that doesn't need repairing, but needs changing every 4 days).

1 hour ago, Scrimbles said:

"Now, a good player can kinda ignore hunger as a threat and collect mountains of food, but that goes for any character pick. " - Me, in the same post you are quoting.

The fact that Wes as a character drains more resources for no extra upside is inarguable.

except you are still arguing his drain as if the person playing him is defacto inexperienced and unwilling to/incapable of negating the drain. unless you are playing a nothing world a medium-skill player should never be hurting for food outside of novel situations or really bad luck and those are situations that are not wes exclusive

1 hour ago, bruhmoment23 said:

Not to sound rude, but i really don't see your point nor light in any of your comparisons. Truth is, experienced player can cake walk ANY character, no matter the downsides. Some characters outshine others and it usually all boils down to the things you, yourself said quite a bunch of times, which is effectiveness, usefulness and contributions to the team, if there is one that is. I'm gonna be completely blunt here, most characters do things better than Wes because of his kit.

As to your "why fight?" statement, most things you can do to prove yourself useful, despite being a house wife, will require FIGHTING. 

Wortox isn't hard to understand, he can live solely off his collected souls, and any player that has played him or the game for more than few days can understand that.

TL;DR : Wortox is easy to understand, and so is Wes. Experienced Wes ≠ Inexperienced Wolfgang.

how are you arguing many of the same points i am and still walking away with a different conclusion? if the player is competent then wes is not a disadvantaged character, a lack of bonuses is not the same as a general lack and he is quite capable of doing most things without fighting(baring only situations where the thing in question is literally fighting). your argument about needing to fight hinges on adopting a playstyle that requires fighting to survive which isnt the case in dont starve. there are many avenues for living(in solo and in group play) fruitfully with minimal scraps and most of those can be mitigated by taking advantage of hostile mobs fighting each other. unless you are counting each minute spent playing the game as a literal loss then there is nothing wrong with taking a little bit to recruit mobs to fight for you in solo and there is absolutely nothing wrong with having people on your team who want to fight doing all of the fighting while you do the stuff that they are too busy fighting to do in together. i've tried playing wigfrid recently and dont starve becomes a very different game if you get in the headspace that murder is the main means of acquisition, i couldnt be fussed to cook or make boats or any of that business because i was going out every day and murdering things. from that narrow perspective sure wes seems like a poor choice because he isnt a fighter but that was perspective not an actual fact(in the end we actually underutilized a wicker who had to stay at base making everything because me and the wx were doing all the fighting/gathering. she only used her book once after the wx left and we were both dying of hunger after getting trapped on an island during summer because i was the only player of us three who had experience prepping for summer above-ground and i was too distracted to make thermals and hats and the wicker was a brawler who didnt even think about who would be making the kit)

as for wortox he is a healer who also needs to be a fighter(though not necessarily a brawler). he is only easier if you are already a person who plays a fighting character. for those of us who arent fighters this is no an easy transition and for me in particular, someone who's gotten about 5-6 hours of playtime with this character it is actually really difficult because i literally had to learn how to fight before i could actually feed myself and even now i still can only feed myself and sort of keep myself alive. also in my whole 900+ hours of play i've never needed 6 meatballs to go from starving to full at one times which is a mess unless you are someone who wastes healing or is comfortable with tanking sanity since it cost 50 sanity and ten kills to do the same thing as those meatballs with souls AND you get a 20 sanity hit if too many souls are collected. if a wendy is on a tear near you then you have to get away from the fight if you cannot eat the cost because you already have a full(ish) stack of souls. the argument of wortox being an easier char to master is flawed. it makes too many presumptions on what tools the player is bringing to the table and too many presumptions about what play style they are competent in before they even get as far as spawning into the game for the first time and it makes too many presumptions about what the world is going to provide for the character and too many presumptions about what considerations the other players are going to make for a wortox. wes is easy; you basically do the same thing you would do if you were wilson it takes a little bit longer to do it

inexperienced wolfgang = wes

here are the stats for wimpy and mighty wofgang that should be taken note of;

wimpy

His maximum Health goes from 200 down to 150 and his damage will be between 0.75x and 0.5x depending on Hunger.

Wolfgang's movement speed will gradually go down to 90% in this state and his Hunger will decrease between 1.5x and 1x  the normal rate.

and mighty

Because of this physical upgrade, Wolfgang's Hunger decreases between 1.5x and 3x faster than normal.

if the player is not already capable of managing these problems then they quickly become a base camper or dead. i run a server for beginners(people with less than 100 hours of play, mostly though we do get experienced players for dungeon crawls in the caves) and time and again i see this happen with wolfgang(Actually i see it on most of the servers i've joined that have wolfgangs. more of them are literal drains than actually capable of helping with the few exceptions often just being one-time rushers who may or may not keep all of the loot before leaving the server.) people want to play mighty but cannot actually handle the drain or actually know how to fight so they eat through the icebox, beg everyone else for fighting kit and then bully headlong into a fight and get stomped. i've made a _lot_ of hambats that ended up lasting longer than the players who demanded them

all that being said here is my salty personal opinion that neither of you have to read even though it might enlighten you both as to why i am so frustrated with your claims;

Spoiler

playing wes is like using advanced farms. lazy dummies give them grief for being nonviable while people who put in just a tiny bit of effort and upkeep reap the overly bountiful rewards that comes with patience. i can literally feed two wurts and a random newbie as well as myself on a pub(something i have done multiple times) by the end of my first year playing wes moderately well with a single farm-plot and access to a couple pigs and i'm NOT a strong player i am NOT a grinder and i dont fight unless i absolutely have to. i literally could not count how many times i yelled over the server for _anyone_ to come take food because i had way more than i could possibly eat before it all rotted. i have people who join pubs i play on explicitly because i am that one wes who feeds everyone while they are getting established and have been told before that this is why they joined. making bullcrap claims based on ones own lack of skill is dumb and assuming other people are as dumb as you are as a justification for why you can keep being dumb and making it someone else's fault is proof that you are in fact a dumb baby and need your nappy changed. quit being dumb and learn to play the game not the meta, golly!

Your missing the point: Wes crafts balloons that look like Spiders and Also Beefalo. Wes can & should be made more useful by having these balloons that look like these mobs draw their aggro. 
Spiders naturally run to defend any nearby spider being attacked by a player so they would be dumb enough to protect a balloon, and Beefalo in mating season are well.. Beefalo in mating season (should be obvious what happens here..)

Wes (the character and not the player playing as Him) has to actually BE Useful for once, instead of just being a drain on resources as part of his design. 

Willow has a perk where even when she’s long left the server: Bernie’s she had crafted and thrown down will still animate to life to protect any nearby low sanity player.

A Perk Wes Could have had with his Balloons that only triggered once WES was nowhere in sight.. 

Aka: Helpful to every player EXCEPT WES.

Just like Bernie only becomes BERNIE! When an active Willow player is nearby.

(this post is a clear and straightforward TL:DR example of how Klei already has experience with ways they can improve Wes without making him any less challenging.)

50 minutes ago, gaymime said:

-giant snip-

And here i thought we can have a civilized conversation.

You're taking this over the top and over exaggerating at most. This is not a competetive game. You can play however you want. That's none of my business. All of this semi-emotional tantrum of a reply radiates only one thing, that this is HOW YOU PLAY, and that's fine. I'm not gonna enforce any playstyles on you. Besides your entire "babby meta trash" arguement, you're still missing the point. You're taking your own experience above everyone else's, forgetting that NOT EVERYONE HAS THE SAME PLAYSTYLE AND MINDSET AS YOU. Not everyone will give Wes a chance, not because of him having a "bad" stereotype, but because some people might find him uninteresting and lackluster compared to what other characters can bring to the table. Other than that, there's nothing else i'm gonna say, and please, next time don't use your frustration as fuel to drive your rebuttal of a claim. With that, good day!

49 minutes ago, gaymime said:

except you are still arguing his drain as if the person playing him is defacto inexperienced and unwilling to/incapable of negating the drain. unless you are playing a nothing world a medium-skill player should never be hurting for food outside of novel situations or really bad luck and those are situations that are not wes exclusive

I am saying it is a fact that Wes drains more resources than other character picks, for no unique upside. There is no opinion there, that is a fact.

1 hour ago, bruhmoment23 said:

And here i thought we can have a civilized conversation.

You're taking this over the top and over exaggerating at most. This is not a competetive game. You can play however you want. That's none of my business. All of this semi-emotional tantrum of a reply radiates only one thing, that this is HOW YOU PLAY, and that's fine. I'm not gonna enforce any playstyles on you. Besides your entire "babby meta trash" arguement, you're still missing the point. You're taking your own experience above everyone else's, forgetting that NOT EVERYONE HAS THE SAME PLAYSTYLE AND MINDSET AS YOU. Not everyone will give Wes a chance, not because of him having a "bad" stereotype, but because some people might find him uninteresting and lackluster compared to what other characters can bring to the table. Other than that, there's nothing else i'm gonna say, and please, next time don't use your frustration as fuel to drive your rebuttal of a claim. With that, good day!

that baby meta trash thing isnt an argument. there is a reason it is an aside at the bottom of the reply in a spoiler with a message above it that makes a distinction between it and the other parts. it is not required in the least to have a conversation and was explicitly said to be only a personal opinion on the matter. jumping in on that being the whole of the conversation is very dishonest of you and trying to shame me by saying this is the reason no conversation can be had is simply dishonest in general.

being uninteresting and lackluster was not your argument before. your argument before was that he was a difficult character to play compared to others and that he did not get any extras to make him more useful than others. that being said though you are repeatedly saying what i am saying and getting a different conclusion. the greater part of my whole reply was that there are more types of playstyle than a fighter's type and that measuring him against a fighter's playstyle is not going to give him a fair shake or even make sense as others may not have a fighter mentality. repeatedly telling me the same thing i just said as if i didnt say it does not actually count as a rebuttal so much as parroting for the sake of it. please actually read what i said in full as opposed to just picking out random words? if that is too hard i can do the awkward thing of quoting myself so you have smaller segregated lines that you can parse out easily without committing to actually reading the whole thing

58 minutes ago, Scrimbles said:

I am saying it is a fact that Wes drains more resources than other character picks, for no unique upside. There is no opinion there, that is a fact.

ok. we can agree wes has an increased hunger drain and that you personally think his upside is not substantial enough to count in practical play.

2 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

hound and worm waves. The need of an extra hit to kill a hound makes a huge difference

toothtraps, bunny farms, rock lobsters and recruited pigs. these things are on a timer and are easily prepared for in advance if you are willing to look at the wiki at least once and pay attention to the passage of time. it isnt always going to be perfect but the game is quite well made and gives people accessible and viable options for non-combative play

24 minutes ago, gaymime said:

toothtraps, bunny farms, rock lobsters and recruited pigs. these things are on a timer and are easily prepared for in advance if you are willing to look at the wiki at least once and pay attention to the passage of time. it isnt always going to be perfect but the game is quite well made and gives people accessible and viable options for non-combative play

This is true, but every character can craft toothtraps or recruit followers. We’re talking about what Wes can potentially bring to the table when compared to any other character.

7 minutes ago, 1bubbainpa said:

This is true, but every character can craft toothtraps or recruit followers. We’re talking about what Wes can potentially bring to the table when compared to any other character.

Nothing lol.. well okay maybe balloons for decorations but other than that nothing! Also depending on what settings you apply to your worlds Wes can become significantly less useful: Having a timer to know when everything’s going to happen is one of those Meta things I threw out the window a long time ago..

my worlds run on random season start times and random season lengths.. and if I had my way- Hound wave days would be random, moon phases would be random.. and you would be living in a world of pure unpredictable mad chaos...

Where the ONLY way to survive is “Situational Awareness” adapting to events and hazards As they happen randomly.. rather then as they happen predictably on a time schedule.

But, I believe this poor thread has been derailed enough.. so can we please get back to the topic of who people think is the most underrated (actually useful as a character and not just useful based on the skill of whoever plays them..) playable Merm.. uh I mean character** in DST??

Just now, 1bubbainpa said:

beefalo just said hounds and worms are why wes would need to fight. unless i am missing some serious subtext he didnt mention anything about anything else

if you want to make this about what he could bring then objectively it would have to be his ability to give people the least biased impression of how the mechanics of the game functions outside of wilson. he has a faster drain and a weaker punch but he has an authentically stable drain on health and sanity in standard situations and has no modifiers that make interactions with the world more easy or less clear than they are. he is well suited to allowing for a vanilla experience of the game while still being (Slightly) more challenging and for players with patience which is good if you are trying to learn the mechnics of the game. he can also convert sanity into a weapon that does not require further input past setting it down to function so that he can be a true kiting character(which at this time only he and walter can do without the aid of friendly mobs. considering walter just came out in june that had wes as the only char who could do this for quite a while). certainly balloons are not optimal but no other character in the game can put down a trap that draws aggro and causes damage without user input(or the user even being there), also if you have the sanity to spare you could actually make a massive aggro trap that can do up to 500 points of damage at once(and to multiple enemies if they are close enough) which is pretty alright if you are looking to escape a situation that has gotten a bit dire or if you just want to kill something without touching it or if you just want to make a fuss without risking a fire XD

also pile o balloons can be used as a free and instant person-finder. if someone has pile o balloons and put it on the ground anyone who has visited that part of the map before(that is to say it isnt blacked out) can tell where the dropper of the pile is standing like a compass but without taking up a hand slot

also a few people have asked for base balloons so he has a unique decorating item as well but that is pretty niche

10 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

But, I believe this poor thread has been derailed enough.. so can we please get back to the topic of who people think is the most underrated (actually useful as a character and not just useful based on the skill of whoever plays them..) playable Merm.. uh I mean character** in DST??

talking about the merits of an underrated character is relevant to a thread on underrated characters. quit trying to get easy likes by being that guy. actually maybe just stop interjecting at all. we all know you love randomized seasons and shoehorning that into this conversation really isnt needed like it wasnt needed in the other threads you forced it into and we all know you specifically dont like wes, the overt threats of violence via rubbish "meme"s you've made towards other players was more than enough to get that across and your inability to use mods is quite well documented as well(something that isnt relevant at all since noone even brought it up before you did just now) so bashing on those is pointless and really i could go on but at that point i would just be you without the stalking

Wes has made it possible for James Bucket to add entertaining segments to his videos, so in that regard, his entertainment value in the right creator's hands is underrated.

On a more serious note, Willow is great for late starts in a public server simply because of her lighter. There are many times when you might not even be able to find enough twigs and grass to get a torch when you join late in the day. Willow can just go even if the starting area has been completely stripped of resources and not spend a night hugging the portal.

The area displayed in the map is consistent regardless of how pathetic your light source is and if you use the minimap mod you can just run around with that lighter as if it was daytime. 

I'm pretty bad at combat in this game so in my last public game as Willow I was only able to farm 15 nightmare fuel before Bernie went kaput. I really thought I could get more out of it, but I'm not an expert or anything.

With Honey being the easiest seasoning ingredient to acquire (the rest being either heavily dependent on RNG or wasting your time in the ocean), Warly can at least reliably be a resource booster if nothing else thanks to his Honey Crystals. Because Klei decided you need 3 of each spice before it can be used, getting Chili Flakes or Garlic Powder when you actually need it is a crapshoot at best and going out to sea for Seasoning Salt just isn't worth it.

One nice bonus to make up for Warly's hunger penalty is Bone Boullion, especially in public games where people die all the time and no one gives a damn about the bones in the desert biomes. Every time you get an onion from a farm or from a Wormwood, that's an extra 150 hunger that you can get without draining the meat supply. Warly feeding himself 2 Bone Bullion pretty much negates his hunger penalty for a 20 day period assuming he doesn't mess up his meals and take too large a penalty on meatballing. With this recipe in mind, his downside isn't that bad at all. It's just annoying that your BEST ability isn't always available and heavily dependent on low percentage RNG. Once you do get an onion though, you only need a few so it's not as ridiculous as Dragon Fruit farming with the bird making seeds and all.

The main issue is that without a Wicker, Wormwood or rushing farms, that 2.6% chance to grow an onion really sucks. When I play Wormwood I'll usually plant like 60 crops before Winter with minimal help from the team and sometimes I can't even get 3 peppers and maybe just 1 onion out of the whole lot. Trying to get that output with farms is going to be hard.

Dedicating around 12 advanced farms for garlic and another 12 for peppers then another 6 for onions is doable if you hoard all the grass and make your entire team suffer a shortage before Winter hits.

Archived