Why don't boats look like this?

Just now, TheGoldenDonut_ said:

The circles fit the aesthetic. That looks like a mod. (It is a mod.)

Does it? I was particularly surprised by how much better looking the diamond shape looks. If anything, the vanilla circle looks more like a mod than the mod haha

1 hour ago, Squirrel12 said:

Wow, all of that looks really good! I specially like how the ship looks to be very maneuverable.

The circle boats we have, or, "cookie boats", are a one-size-fits-all structure that serves all current intended purposes super well, because one of the purposes is to keep things balanced. The variety of ocean structures shown in the video do break a bit of the balance (even though I already love them). The big rectangles in the video, for instance, that allow for a complete sea base, allow the player to avoid hound waves, all bosses, antlion sinkholes, etc.

Maybe as the ocean environment evolves and new mechanics get added those won't break balance. At any rate, they look awesome!

I just want all the boat types from Shipwrecked and Hamlet- Now upgraded to support two players riding in them.. but ditch the “Water Shoes” way of driving in favor of the updated DST large boat cookie way of driving.

The benefits to this- Smaller more compact boat that requires less resources, moves a tad bit faster, can allow you to quickly gather things like Kelp that’s just out of reach or to sail down small streams the boat cookie can’t dream of fitting into-

I still have THIS from the first time I built a boat.. 

17ECC9D2-3EAE-4CD3-8145-A970313A236D.gif.224e38feba086e2006bc8b34ed9d0350.gif

A problem that wouldn’t exist with the smaller Boats.

The Downsides to the Smaller Boat- less durable, can’t place “Base Or Larger boat Structures” like campfire, cooking pot, fridge, Pinching Winch etc.. Too Small and too Weak to smash through Sea Stacks.

The TL:DR there’s definitely room in the game for more boat types.

53 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

That turning looks really awkward.

This is one of the main reasons why I don't want boats similar to the ones from the more boat shapes mod. The turning feels and looks unnatural and awkward to me. But I'm pretty sure that's an unpopular opinion and if everyone else thinks theyre great, no need for me to drag down the possibility just because I don't like it.

that boat looks sick. if the entire mod can be polished up, I think klei could draw some good ideas from the concepts. 

modders in other games have influenced later patches and even sequels of the games that they modded. Looking forward to seeing developments. What I love most is the straight bridges. If I had to pick out anything from that mod to have in game tomorrow, it would be the bridges. Port building would look so good.

11 hours ago, Zeklo said:

The boat in the video turns, but it doesn't lose it's directional momentum, so it looks off.

The non-circle shapes are aesthetically neat, but apart from the extra space, the 'odd' shapes are prolly less efficient to build on.

This is the reason people are having trouble with the boat turning.  Actual boats have a keel and change their direction of movement as they turn.

The new boat shapes however are still flat bodied rafts which can be spun without losing directional momentum.

I do wish we had the ability to build more sophisticated boats that had a proper keel and rudder and can make coordinated turns which would solve the problem.

Turning a boat is not difficult and can be easily integrated into DST.

The main problem is that DST's physics and collision engine only works with spheres and horizontal cylinders. Currently, all objects/structures/players/boats are modeled by a sphere or a cylinder and there is no other possible shape.

This mode does the trick by invoking several dummy cylinders around each ship. But it is very inefficient, subject to multiple bugs, and rather ugly in terms of code.

Thus, unless the physics engine is changed, we won't see a non-circular boat in the base game (outside of all the gameplay concerns).

Archived