We now know when the survivors being taken took place

In the newest Wigfrid short, we can see on her newspaper that a San Francisco earthquake took place that was also very destructive.

Spoiler

Screenshot_20200924-095944.png

And off of this, we can easily tell when this takes place! Because there just so happens to be a very news worthy 7.8 earthquake that happened in san Francisco back in 1906!
One that destroyed many buildings and caused massive destructuon!

Spoiler

IMG_20200924_100404_678.jpg

So based off of this, we can easily say that Wigfrid was taken only a few days/weeks after April 18'th 1906!
And we know the others were taken around this timeframe as well, as the newspaper shown in the last few seconds of the short hints that Wigfrid wasn't the first to disappear.

(There was also an earthquake in 1989, but I dont believe its referring to that one)

What I find curious is at the end of the short, there was the newspaper article saying Wigfrid's disappearance was tied to other disappearances around the same time. In Winona's short, there wasn't anything on the board that tied to Wigfrid's disappearance. Just to Woodie, Wickerbottom, WX, and Wendy. It also seems she went missing significantly before Winona started making the board, so I'm not really sure why Wigfrid's disappearance (and others) also aren't on the board. Just food for thought. 

17 minutes ago, Blueleaf12 said:

What I find curious is at the end of the short, there was the newspaper article saying Wigfrid's disappearance was tied to other disappearances around the same time. In Winona's short, there wasn't anything on the board that tied to Wigfrid's disappearance. Just to Woodie, Wickerbottom, WX, and Wendy. It also seems she went missing significantly before Winona started making the board, so I'm not really sure why Wigfrid's disappearance (and others) also aren't on the board. Just food for thought. 

Most likely that Winona just didn't learn about Wigfrid and others being missing before being taken to constant.

56 minutes ago, Blueleaf12 said:

True, but then who ELSE is linking these missing cases together? Spooky. 

Each time one disapper, there usually a disaster to acoompanied it or something to hide their disappearence

wig - earthquake

Willow - fire

Winona - factory burn down? 

Is that all, my memory is not that good. But another question I have is how maxwell select the characters to enter the constant? does he choose by himself or is there certain requirement ore his own preference or it is Them who decide and use shadow creatures in Willow trailer to scout? 

34 minutes ago, Articestone said:

how maxwell select the characters to enter the constant?

His actions are like the ones from bill cypher from Gravity Falls. If people want something, Maxwell say he can give that to them, but trick them into getting trapped in the constant. There is a perfect example of this in Forbidden Knowledge, in Which Wilson is frustrated by all his failed experiments, so Maxwell tricks him into building a portal that would lead him into the constant via the Voxola Radio (The radio was probably designed by Wagstaff to connect with the constant) and Wilson, naively, falls for it and is trapped in the constant. In contrast, when Dipper is frustrated because he cant access Fiddleforts Laptop, Bill comes to him and promises him knowledge and stuff, and they make a pact that ends with Dipper being possesed.

If you wanna know why Maxwell does that, probably for fun 

Also I dont know why sometimes he uses the radio and sometimes just shows up

1 hour ago, Wardin25 said:

If people want something, Maxwell say he can give that to them, but trick them into getting trapped in the constant.

Strictly speaking, I don't think Maxwell has lied in the two on-screen temptations we've seen.

Wilson:

Spoiler

was offered secret, forbidden knowledge, and got it:

image.thumb.png.4a47bbf5f4bfb54e1c882899acbd8e13.png

Wigfrid:

Spoiler

1. Offered for all the world to be her stage (which world was not specified, but she's taken to her role in the Constant with aplomb.)

2. Said she'd be put back in the headlines - In the form of her being the latest in a string of disappearances.

image.thumb.png.db47c4287d31fd53995e803b49cc9f94.png

Deceit and omission, perhaps, but never an outright lie.

4 minutes ago, engiSonic said:

Strictly speaking, I don't think Maxwell has lied in the two on-screen temptations we've seen.

Wilson:

Hide contents

was offered secret, forbidden knowledge, and got it:

image.thumb.png.4a47bbf5f4bfb54e1c882899acbd8e13.png

Wigfrid:

Reveal hidden contents

1. Offered for all the world to be her stage (which world was not specified, but she's taken to her role in the Constant with aplomb.)

2. Said she'd be put back in the headlines - In the form of her being the latest in a string of disappearances.

image.thumb.png.db47c4287d31fd53995e803b49cc9f94.png

Deceit and omission, perhaps, but never an outright lie.

So I'm getting a genie vibe from Maxwell. He gives people very twisted versions of their greatest desires. Wigfrid has become the character she enjoyed portraying and now is forced to live the part. Wickerbottom can now write books unlike anyone else, but they are capable of doing real harm both to the physical environment and her mental state. Woodie can now cAnAdA. 

mmm, i think there is a lot of time between the disappearances since abigail died before wendy entered the constant and there is a journal entry by wendy dated april 16 1914 next to a funeral invitation for abigail also the new york library fire was in 1911 and that fire was mentioned in another vignette along with the schematics for a (possibly prototype) wx

We know the disappearances took place over a long timespan, since Wigfrid was taken from 1906 or early 1907, but Wilson was the last one before Charlie took over and he came from 1921. There were probably at least two clusters of disappearances; Wigfrid and an unknown set of others within a year of the earthquake (probably not including Maxwell and Charlie themselves because they'd be assumed to have died in the quake), and the 1919-1921ish group containing Wagstaff, Winona, Wilson, probably Woodie since he had a Voxola radio in his cabin, probably Warly because he had a radio too, possibly Wickerbottom since she was on Winona's conspiracy moodboard, and Walter.

8 hours ago, Dr. Safety said:

So I'm getting a genie vibe from Maxwell. He gives people very twisted versions of their greatest desires. Wigfrid has become the character she enjoyed portraying and now is forced to live the part. Wickerbottom can now write books unlike anyone else, but they are capable of doing real harm both to the physical environment and her mental state. Woodie can now cAnAdA. 

It is implied by Maxwell that Wicker could write those books and do magic before The Constant. But we will have to wait and see what Wicker's short will reveal.

Woodie wanted his curse lifted, however, Maxwell might have offered him that "no one else will ever see that hideous form of yours" (or something along the lines). Which technically is true, until DST happened.

Yep, this was already known from other events in the DS/T timeline, which can be found here.

The part that confused me was how Wigfrid apparently disappeared relatively soon after the earthquake/Maxwell's final performance, when according to this (admittedly rather old) post by Kevin states that the playable characters didn't get pulled into the Constant until 1910.

I suppose this could've been a way to retcon that timeline, but it still seems a tad off to me... Since Wigfrid was the latest in a string of disappearances, assuming this occurred a few weeks after the earthquake, some of the other characters must've been dragged into the Constant during that timespan as well, even though all the dates we have for character disappearances are after 1910. IIRC the only characters out of the original DST set without any clues to the time of their disappearances are Woodie, Wolfgang, Wes, and maybe Willow. Wolfgang's the only one who hasn't been reworked yet, and thus the only one who will probably receive any lore for a while. Seems a little odd that Klei would change their minds about the timeline so late, but I don't know what they have planned. Maybe Wigfrid was actually rereading the paper after a few years, thinking about when her career had just started to go downhill? This is probably all just me overthinking things, but hey, it doesn't hurt to consider all the possibilities!

Either way, I hope we get to learn more about the "crazy stuff" that happens in the years following the earthquake soon!

I wonder if it was just an accident for maxwell to find the codex or it was delibrate. Does the nightmare have some sort of equivalent exchange, maxwell getting nightmare magic, Wigfrid being the embodiment of her character, wendy bringing her sister to life that can't talk, woodie suppressing her curse/bring lucy back to life. 

The nightmare have chose maxwrll could it be for some reason they want other people to come to the constant and maxwell is the host/puppet of nightmares and  in exchange of his freedom he gets nightmare magic. I would think that it is difficult for nightmares to come to the real world such that they require a host from the real world to link the constant and the real world together. Plus it took the nightmares a long time for it to bring maxwell over to constant since he perform a few shows with nightmare magic before bring taken. 

Willow - only 1 terrobeak, either one is enough or cannot summon more

Wilson - use a portal to link the world from max bewitchment maybe because it he is the first victim and max doesn't have much power yet

Wigfrid and walter - shadow magic with stenograph. 

34 minutes ago, Articestone said:

Wilson - use a portal to link the world from max bewitchment maybe because it he is the first victim and max doesn't have much power yet

Just few post ealier CameoApperance said Wilson was of the last ones.
And since in adventure mode Maxwell is becoming older and weaker with every next world, I rather would said, Maxwell had to trick Wilson because he was already weaker...
Or maybe it was just fun to watch, how poor Wilson struggles to make this strange machine.

8 minutes ago, Notecja said:

Just few post ealier CameoApperance said Wilson was of the last ones.
And since in adventure mode Maxwell is becoming older and weaker with every next world, I rather would said, Maxwell had to trick Wilson because he was already weaker...
Or maybe it was just fun to watch, how poor Wilson struggles to make this strange machine.

But in early dst wasn't there a short or the methus puzzle comic strip that show Wilson and maxwell making a rundown portal which let other survivors enter the constant? 

Just now, Articestone said:

But in early dst wasn't there a short or the methus puzzle comic strip that show Wilson and maxwell making a rundown portal which let other survivors enter the constant? 

That one was definitely after Wilson dethroned Maxwell, and Charlie released Wilson from throne. Before that time all other survivors were already for years in Constant, just in different dimensions.

15 minutes ago, Notecja said:

That one was definitely after Wilson dethroned Maxwell, and Charlie released Wilson from throne. Before that time all other survivors were already for years in Constant, just in different dimensions.

except poor wes who was being tortured inside of maxwell's personal world and had to be rescued

So, I rewatched the short and I read the official Compendium summary, and now I'm more certain that Wigfrid is reading the paper long after it was first printed.

For reference, here is the official in-game description:

Spoiler

"Wigfrid always knew she was meant for the stage. Her debut performance was an instant sensation, launching her from obscurity to overnight stardom. Fans delighted in her portrayal of a noble and fearsome Valkyrie warrior, and she in turn took great pains to fully embody the role. She was perfect for it... perhaps too perfect. Every part she played afterward seemed to fall flat, never again achieving that magical quality that had once drawn audiences to her performances like bees to honey. As Wigfrid's stardom slowly began to fade, she retreated to the memories of her glory days, losing herself in her fantasies...

Until one day, she was lost entirely."

Clearly, Wigfrid's fame dwindled over time, until she eventually made a deal with Maxwell in the short. However, the headline in the newspaper reads as if her first role was still very recent. In fact, it specifically says this: "Former rising star seems unable to recapture the magic of her previous role." We know from her Compendium entry that she continued to act for quite a while after her role as a Valkyrie, so why would the paper refer to her very first role as her previous one?

It wouldn't. The only likely reason for this phrasing is that the article was published shortly after her second performance, which was flat compared to her first. Maybe that was the last time Wigfrid was in the headlines, and she was rereading it as part of her fantasies... maybe that's part of why she made a deal with Maxwell so quickly. This would also put her closer to the disappearances of the other survivors (1910ish?) so they may have been part of the "string of disappearances" as well.

Once again, there's a good chance that this is all coincidence, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a meaningful connection here. At least this might be good practice for when the next set of puzzles comes around...

I was wondering if she was rereading an old article, but it just made her upset. I suppose it could have been part of her fantasy, but you would think it would take her out of it and she wouldn’t read it you know? 

Regardless, it makes me sad :( She seems depressed/angry about her career flopping. 

Archived