Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

14 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

What if… we gave each playable character a unique to playing as them “Quest” that upon completion rewarded them with a Section of the broken/unfinished portal? And What if you needed to bring these parts of portal back and place them as each character to fully complete the portal?

for example: Maybe Wendy has to travel through an underground graveyard maze that ONLY SHE CAN TRAVERSE because the ghosts will attack and kill any other character who attempts to get the protected portal part?

Or Maybe Wolfgang has to fight a Boss to prove his strength that won’t even entertain the thought of a less worthy foe fighting it..?

The intention is to give each playable character a specific role they need to fulfill to bring back the broken pieces of the unfinished portal.

This would mean either needing to get friends to help gather the pieces or to use the celestial portal to swap and complete each one’s unique task.

Maybe theres several rings of raging fire that only the completely fire immune Willow can walk through to retrieve her portal part.

The point is- make each character actual contribute towards completing that unfinished broken portal.

Why are you always putting statements in the questions thread?

I've been sitting on thoughts for Woodie, as he's my favorite, but it always felt bad to eat because of his transformations... so I was thinking...

If you made his hunger 200, then when he transforms, his hunger becomes his wereness meter? This will give food more importance to woodie, and he has a reason to eat before transforming. A full stomach could mean a full day of wereness (hence the hunger buff), if you're doing stuff, and you could reimplement eating items to extend, with log/grass/seed giving some wereness (like 5 or 10?) in exchange for like 2 sanity... 

Since sanity has always been the downside to were forms (besides emptying stomach) I think this'd make him feel better when eating, rather than making food feel like a delay to going were, or a waste. 

Thoughts?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Why are you always putting statements in the questions thread?

It’s the questions thread, anyone can put anything DS related here can’t they??

that Said: is anyone playing the current season of Fortnite & if you are do the Oathbound quests sound like a potential DST crossover? Shapeless man watching from the Shadows, a Broken Rift Gate that can cause unforeseen circumstances to the island.. quests that involve solving a puzzle with the moons phases.. if Klei was going to surprise us with Fortnite x DST crossover, this would’ve been the perfect build up towards that.

Seriously is it just me who thinks this??

1 hour ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

to disappoint us you mean

Not necessarily, Fortnite has several gameplay mechanics that could in actuality.. transition Don’t Starve into being a 3D game. Albeit: Through Fortnites Creative Mode but still.. you can plant berrys, pluck them, harvest & replant them etc.. if DST was to do a Crossover with Fortnite I would imagine something along the lines of Maxwell or Charlie appearing in Fortnite, perhaps even porting over DS’s Crawling Horrors & Terrorbeaks. But the current STORY plot that’s happening right now in Fortnite (the oathbound quests) feels like a direct lead up to a DS Crossover. And.. more importantly, if nothing from Fortnite was added into DST, but A lot from DST was added into Fortnite… why would you even care????

No one “has” to go to the Dragonball Z themed creative maps… they’re just in the game and you can choose to play in them or not. I mean yeah if you go do the DBZ related stuff you might unlock DBZ themed emotes, and sprays but… you get the idea.

If you actually play Fortnite how can you NOT see the current similarities between DS/DST and the story that’s building up?

Fortnite already has hounds, and a boss resembling the FuelWeaver… all it would take is for Klei to seriously want to sit down with them and put “Don’t Starve” into Fortnite…

Same as how you can now go play in a DragonballZ world & visit Gokus house & collect Dragonballs.

I think a better question would be that if the current Fortnite story plot IS building up to a DS Crossover, would anyone on these forums go play Fortnite long enough to experience that event?

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Not necessarily, Fortnite has several gameplay mechanics that could in actuality.. transition Don’t Starve into being a 3D game. Albeit: Through Fortnites Creative Mode but still.. you can plant berrys, pluck them, harvest & replant them etc.. if DST was to do a Crossover with Fortnite I would imagine something along the lines of Maxwell or Charlie appearing in Fortnite, perhaps even porting over DS’s Crawling Horrors & Terrorbeaks. But the current STORY plot that’s happening right now in Fortnite (the oathbound quests) feels like a direct lead up to a DS Crossover. And.. more importantly, if nothing from Fortnite was added into DST, but A lot from DST was added into Fortnite… why would you even care????

No one “has” to go to the Dragonball Z themed creative maps… they’re just in the game and you can choose to play in them or not. I mean yeah if you go do the DBZ related stuff you might unlock DBZ themed emotes, and sprays but… you get the idea.

If you actually play Fortnite how can you NOT see the current similarities between DS/DST and the story that’s building up?

Fortnite already has hounds, and a boss resembling the FuelWeaver… all it would take is for Klei to seriously want to sit down with them and put “Don’t Starve” into Fortnite…

Same as how you can now go play in a DragonballZ world & visit Gokus house & collect Dragonballs.

I think a better question would be that if the current Fortnite story plot IS building up to a DS Crossover, would anyone on these forums go play Fortnite long enough to experience that event?

Pal, are you really writing an essay why DST x Fortnite should happend? I know that rules of ethics and such, everyones opinion matter, but damn! Thats straight up cringe 

• Like 1
  • Ninja 1
  • Big Ups 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

1 hour ago, Waitdire said:

Is lightning a global event like rain?
If i use a telestaff or Wickerbottom book will the flashes be on the whole server?

lightning can only be seen and heard if a player is near one. Likewise, lightning can only appear naturally near a player.

Sorry for the wierd view of the quote this happends when You copy paste a Google text from the cellphobe vercion of the forum

• Like 3

Why does Klei continue to add new tools or resource types into DST if the uses of already existing ones remain to be very “niche” or limited when they add the new one? I just don’t get it..

Take the Pick/Axe as an example: it’s now a required tool in the summoning of a new Boss, but wouldn’t it have made a lot more sense if it was instead used “frequently” to mine say I don’t know a new type of tree that can only be chopped with this tool? Similar to needing a Machete to cut Tuber trees in Shipwrecked because a normal axe couldn’t be used on them.

Then there’s the matter of Klei continuing to add new Armors/Helmets, and Resources into DST that have those same Niche or Limited uses when the already existing armors/resources go under utilized as is..

Like for real, what’s the point in DreadStone Armor/Helms, Or Eye of Terror Masks if there are no new mobs/weather hazards that’s going to require them??

At this point I’m really confused by the development process of DST, let alone what I’m “Intended” be doing while playing it.

What’s the purpose of weapons like Class Cutters & Cutlass if they have very little usage? Why do we need so many types of new Armor if it’s only good to use for content we’ve already been playing without it?

Please help.. :( 

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Please help.. :( 

Making tools be required for weird stuff doesn't make sense- machete is needed for tubers because it's just another tool in the DLCs, you use it for a bunch of other stuff already and you can make one without prototyping out of easily available resources.

Some difficult to get stuff might require a higher tier tool to indicate it's late game content. (Or not, since nothing is stopping you from rushing certain parts of the game). The pick/axe is niche in the community only because we're obsessed with saving thulecite. I never made it because I go to the ruins so late in my game I'm already used to carrying both an axe and a pickaxe and like meh what do I gain anyway. But when I fished it out in a treasure I used it all the time, why not, one slot less, works just as well. It fulfills it's role well.

To make pick/axe required to start the boss fight you're sending a very clear message to the player- this is gonna be hard. You probably need other ruins gear if you want to do this fight. Also thematically it's cool. So making pick/axe something that you need to cut trees of some sort?... Why? No offense but locking trees of all things behind ruins gear seems strange.

As for new types of armor and other stuff, it's to give players options. To try to shake up the meta, make people reconsider what they use and stuff. Some people will forever stick to hambat and football helmet, but some people will use the eye mask, some people will decide farming marble is viable, etc etc. It doesn't matter if it has no place in your gameplay. As long as someone else has found a use for it it's fine.

You're not intended to do anything in the game. Come up with something.

The very niche weapons are there for players who like to min max. I would carry a glass cutter with me alongside my normal weapon just to deal with the shadows some time ago. I dropped that once I ran out of my glass cutters because it wasn't really that effective for me. I still take them to the Fuelweaver fight. They have low durability because they're powerful against one specific thing, so you probably won't use it that much anyway. And cutlass has plenty of durability, + it's pretty easy to find. I use it almost exclusively in DS if I play with DLC.

Options, options options. That's what all sandbox games all about. It's not a sandbox game if you can do things only one way.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, BezKa said:

-Snip-

If the only reason new armors & helmets need to exist is to “Break the Meta..” and the only thing to actually need to use those Armors & Helmets on is Boss fights Galore- then that’s a pretty bad reason to keep including new armors TBH.

Also- Stone Fruit Bushes would = Trees. 

Wooden Cutlasses (DST) are highly ineffective… no idea what your on about about a DLC version.

Theres also the Battle Paddle.

I just feel like something called a Glass Cutter should probably harvest moon glass faster, not only that- but those mobs that were infused with shattered glass should also probably be weak against said Glass Cutter..

But What is the point of newer Weapons/Armor when the games remained largely the same as it always has?? There are of course a few exceptions- such as Nurse Spiders spawning from Spider Queens, or Hound Waves including Varglets.. but outside of that- were literally getting new weapons/armors- But only a handful of “new” things to use them on.

2 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

But only a handful of “new” things to use them on.

So basically you want new content to use new content on. Just wait i guess, the game is still being updated.

And I meant cutlass supreme, from Shipwrecked, so I just misunderstood. The wooden cutless is bad on purpose, stupid monkeys made and use them. It's called cutLESS. It's not a viable weapon, just like the fencing sword is a sword only as a joke and it's purpose is decoration/building.

What do stone fruit bushes have to do with anything... You need a shovel to dig up, or pickaxe (flint one will do) to break fruit open. That's like, the same amount of tools you need to deal with a normal tree.

How you interpret something is named doesn't matter. Glass cutter can be cutter for glass, or cutter made of glass. In DST it's the latter. And cutting glass with glass... Good luck with that.

The battle paddle is another niche weapon that is first and foremost thematic and for a mob. I think the playerbase would be pretty upset if a mob is holding a cool looking toy and doesn't drop it when defeated. It's just a paddle that you can hit stuff with. Idk what you want from it.

And as for the game staying as it is- the people crying about "new era of DST" every two weeks would like to disagree. But overall, my point still stands. Wait for updates, see what they bring. And for now, you can stockpile the armor to use on any future bosses that come, since there's so much apparently. And if you don't want to fight at all, decorate mannequins or something, there's always stuff to do in sandbox games.

• Like 2

Even if they are just weapons used for a joke, it’s not so easy to “get rid” of them on Xbox, and when there’s too much junk lying around- it can cause the game to lag a lot, even on the Xbox Series X/S. People say you can dispose of items by dropping them into the ocean, that’s something only PC players can do.. and for console players to even half do requires putting the items onto a boat and then setting the boat on fire.

Some people say use Lureplants but those aren’t very viable or even obtainable till mid to late game. Some also say to use the Composting Bin on compatible items as a Trashcan, or to use a less common late game staff item for Deconstruction, personally I just find a safe spot to gather it up and Burn it with a torch assuming it’s burnable.. 

But, I can’t help but think it would be easier to get rid of these items if they had a feature similar to Wilson’s upcoming transmutation skill. Too many logs but not enough sticks? Break the logs down into sticks.

Basic Minecraft features TBH..  and I don’t feel such a feature should be locked behind a certain character, or even need a skill tree to invest within.

You got any idea how many times I wish DST just had a “Hold Y to Destroy” button after I pick up something that’s completely useless?

Sure I suppose that such a thing would be abused to heck & back by griefers.. but- Why do we keep adding stuff to further lag the game down without Good Viable methods of getting rid of the stuff we don’t need cluttering up our worlds?

Im sorry if my questions seem rather annoying or pointless, but I am a Gemini & well, i live to “Question Everything” like seriously.. there are times where I can sit deep in thought & think about every possible outcome/solution my brain can come up with.

Its why I enjoy games like BugSnax which give you this limited set of items to use, and you have to figure out the best ways to use them. It’s why I enjoy the freedom & creativity of DS/DST.. but- as you can see here, it’s also a bit of a curse, because I DO most certainly sit around questioning everything my brain can start to think about.

And it leaves me how do I say this.. a bit “confused” about the development process & intended way the developers (not you or myself) expect us to play/interact with their game.

That said: I love it when the COMMUNITY comes up with things the developers would’ve never thought of or even imagined you could do. I love it when unintended “glitches & bugs or ways people have played the game” end up inspiring actual intended content/features.

48 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Snip

Mike. With all the possible kindness i can direct at you - stop. Posting. In the questions thread.

Your pondering and questions are interesting, and it's good you think about this stuff. Some of your worries are unwarranted, like the fact the cutless can be used as fuel and burned in a fire pit. Some are valid and warrant their own discussion.

But this is the questions thread, for small asks about not obvious in-game stuff. For example: "Do flowers on jammed knobbly trees disappear?". Not for wondering why Klei rhymes with play.

Please, if you feel the need to, make your own thread for your wonderings. Argue with people telling you to buy a PC there. Do whatever you want, just don't come into people's threads and derail them after a single paragraph that is somewhat related to the topic.

Please.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, DeadWhereX said:

Does the spoilage state of seeds affect their product? I remember once I forgot to set my farm and all my seeds were spoiled. When I planted them, most of them turned out to be weeds. Maybe it was just bad luck? 

Bad luck. Spoilage state doesn't do anything except affect what happens when you eat them and when they turn into rot.

Edited by Cheggf
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

If I use a shovel to dig up collapsed rabbit holes or a hammer to demolish damaged Catcoon dens will those Respawn eventually or do they just go permanently extinct?

Catcoon dens will regenerate, but I'm pretty sure rabbit holes won't.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

will those Respawn eventually or do they just go permanently extinct?

Quoting the wiki but TLDR yes, during summer, one at a time, 5 days per hole:

In Don't Starve Together, digging up and destroying a Rabbit Hole will cause the game to internally trigger a Regrowth Event, which allows for the Rabbit Hole to regenerate itself after 5 days. This effectively makes Rabbit Holes renewable. However, this only applies during Summer and only one Rabbit Hole will be regenerated at a time, while the others will remain queued. In other words, if 4 Rabbit Holes were to be dug up simultaneously, it would take 20 days of Summer to regenerate them all.

• Like 8

23 hours ago, Juanasdf said:

Quoting the wiki but TLDR yes, during summer, one at a time, 5 days per hole:

In Don't Starve Together, digging up and destroying a Rabbit Hole will cause the game to internally trigger a Regrowth Event, which allows for the Rabbit Hole to regenerate itself after 5 days. This effectively makes Rabbit Holes renewable. However, this only applies during Summer and only one Rabbit Hole will be regenerated at a time, while the others will remain queued. In other words, if 4 Rabbit Holes were to be dug up simultaneously, it would take 20 days of Summer to regenerate them all.

Thank You, & what about the Catcoon Dens? I know that they will go into a destroyed state if something like Deerclops smashes them, but after so many days they’ll repair and Respawn Catcoon again, I want to know if I take a Hammer to these destroyed dens if that removes them permanently or if new ones will eventually spawn?

Same question with Bees & Swamp Tentacle actually, a Wendy player can quickly demolish these- and I want to know if the game has a restoration period for things that get destroyed.

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Thank You, & what about the Catcoon Dens? I know that they will go into a destroyed state if something like Deerclops smashes them, but after so many days they’ll repair and Respawn Catcoon again, I want to know if I take a Hammer to these destroyed dens if that removes them permanently or if new ones will eventually spawn?

I dont know the exact way in how they regenerate, but they should, they have been made renewable back in the YOTC event, I'd guess both hammered/burnt and "destroyed" dens.

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Same question with Bees & Swamp Tentacle actually, a Wendy player can quickly demolish these- and I want to know if the game has a restoration period for things that get destroyed.

Bees and angry bees will respawn in their own respective beehives, however, destroyed beehives will not respawn, so use the honeycombs wisely (otherwise you get them from BQ)

Tentacles will not respawn unless you have a Wickerbottom, but Idk why you would want them back honestly