do you like moleworms?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. do you like moleworms?

• yes
    • yes(but they are obnoxious in-game
    • i feel neutral on them
    • no
    • no(because of how obnoxious they are)

The moleworm is literally the only one fully automatic ressource gatherer we have in DST, yet I see daily players who massacre them whenever they see them doing their jobs because they are looting their minerals.

i.e. players who refuse to work are killing workers who are doing their work because they are doing their work. Too bad you can't kill those players to obtain one morsel, that would be so worth it.

Objectively, on account of cleaning Cave bases from earthquakes' debris to keep things tidy in there, I should like them (as, when I base, vast majority of times I do so in Caves' Ruins, Cave Swamps or that particular Grass-and-Twigs patch generated in kinda rare cases after Stalagmite-Spider biomes without any Sinkhole in said gen-branch). Yet, because of incidents like this, I mush them with passion on spot where they catch my eye like a sore thumb: making them visit the inside of a Crock Pot accompanied by some veggie friends for boiling good times. Still as compromise I keep 1-2 alive as breathing vacuum cleaners for mentioned earthquakes' debris. Conclusion: I'm not a Mole's people :devilish:

19 minutes ago, Pinkamena11FazP said:

I hate them so much the sounds they make are SO ANNOYING and they eat trinkets and flint which you need. They once ate all my rocks and flint when I died in a game. :mad-new:

They don't "eat" them, unlike Slurtles, Snurtles, Rock Lobsters, or other players do. They do only gather them in their burrow which can be dug up to obtain all their hardly gathered minerals.

My only gripe with them is I wish there was a cap that could fall down from earthquakes in the caves. 3-5 moleworms is completely fine. It’s just when you amass like 20+ on a screen that it starts getting slightly ridiculous.

Other then that though, I do value their burrowing storage. Holding 50 stacks of items is fantastic for the ruins, especially since basically every drop you get from the ruins biomes is able to be picked up by them, with the exception of fuel/rot.

They irritate me immensely because they're a big part of the reason you can't find any flints in the starting grassland biome by day 5 of a DST server -- not that other players don't take more flint than they need from that area, but moleworms intensify the scarcity of loose flint -- and in singleplayer they make it harder to seasonproof touchstones. Being able to dig up their collected loot with a shovel turns their mineral-hoarding from a negative to a valuable positive trait later on, but in the very early game it prevents you from making the very shovel you need to access the loot. Especially if you're a latecomer to the server and it's already been picked over by both moleworms and other players.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want them changed or removed. (Well, maybe a worldgen tweak to stop them spawning so close to the postern, but nothing else about their behaviour or rarity.) They've just been a nuisance to me personally. In addition to being repurposed as gatherer/janitor mobs once you do get reliable access to shovels, you can eat them, and they're a vital component of various useful crafting recipes. And they're cute to look at when they're not grabbing your thermal stone/the only flint you've seen all day and running for the border.

5 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Y'know, they're one of (not so many, unfortunately) background/ambiance mobs.

I really like this point. Some mobs that are just there hanging out add a lot of value to the world.

But moleworms are a bit more than background since they're our clean up crew and moggles ingredients.

I think Saladmanders are prime examples of ambiance. They have these really defined behaviours and interactions with their natural habitat and it's so, so lovely.

This little -heavily censored words not allowed on the Klei forums- stole my THERMAL STONE while I had it next to a fire pit getting warm and was fighting nearby spiders that were always getting in my business- this was during DS Single players Adventures Mode and I did not have enough rocks to create a new one... so I just froze to death thanks to a Moleworm who stole my supplies while I was dealing with Spider invasion and Insanity monsters.

I froze to death and died if any of you are wondering.. going from chapter 4 back to chapter 1.

If there are ANY of you on these forums who for whatever reason has not EVER Played Don’t Starve Single Players Adventure Mode.... You can simply never understand why some of us Don’t Starve franchise veterans like myself & @Ogrecakes beg Klei to bring back some of that difficulty.

There were specific goals and obstacles blocking your path.

For example: you could end up in permanent Winter, with only 40 seconds of daytime before it becomes dark again, and on top of that you had to find a way to navigate through a tier 3 spider den maze to reach another location.

These locations more often then not... would prevent you from reaching a specific resource that you need more of- You can’t build a torch without twigs and grass, you can’t build a campfire without wood etc...

Progressing through 5 randomly generated worlds that had unique gimmicks applied to them, and should you happen to fail in world 5.. you start back at world 1.

And So now maybe you have some rough idea of why when that Moleworm stole my Thermal Stone it was like the devil himself in disguise >.<

25 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

This little -heavily censored words not allowed on the Klei forums- stole my THERMAL STONE while I had it next to a fire pit getting warm and was fighting nearby spiders that were always getting in my business- this was during DS Single players Adventures Mode and I did not have enough rocks to create a new one... so I just froze to death thanks to a Moleworm who stole my supplies while I was dealing with Spider invasion and Insanity monsters.

I froze to death and died if any of you are wondering.. going from chapter 4 back to chapter 1.

If there are ANY of you on these forums who for whatever reason has not EVER Played Don’t Starve Single Players Adventure Mode.... You can simply never understand why some of us Don’t Starve franchise veterans like myself & @Ogrecakes beg Klei to bring back some of that difficulty.

There were specific goals and obstacles blocking your path.

For example: you could end up in permanent Winter, with only 40 seconds of daytime before it becomes dark again, and on top of that you had to find a way to navigate through a tier 3 spider den maze to reach another location.

These locations more often then not... would prevent you from reaching a specific resource that you need more of- You can’t build a torch without twigs and grass, you can’t build a campfire without wood etc...

Progressing through 5 randomly generated worlds that had unique gimmicks applied to them, and should you happen to fail in world 5.. you start back at world 1.

And So now maybe you have some rough idea of why when that Moleworm stole my Thermal Stone it was like the devil himself in disguise >.<

You do know Thermal Stones heat up/down in your inventory (or Chest) as well with no difference whatsoever, don't you? Mike, really, when I read most your posts I see a lot of "you problems", not game problems. And I feel you lack in DS/T survival knowledge quite a bit. Thus for me is rather puzzling you want "harsher settings" when you can barely survive atm - and if I recall well you haven't taken down in combat any of the major DST bosses aside some of the Seasonal ones - with external help (traps, Treeguards etc) if am not mistaken (you admitted this in a past post). To me all this apparent low-key Dunning-Kruger actually looks more like a covert attempt from you to theoretically bring other players down, closer to your hypothetical level than anything. And take it from someone thriving in Winter-only Lights-out servers: for advanced players having Moleworms taking Thermals from ground makes no difference at all in overall Survival.

Archived