Unpopular Opinion: I liked the Cave Walls better than what we have now

I'm not gonna lie, when the caves update came out in the original Don't Starve I thought it was the coolest thing. Sure the walls were sometimes obtrusive but man did they ever make you feel like you were underground. Without the walls, the underground caves kinda just feel like they're a dark version of the surface but with less resources, and without any element of surprise that the walls gave by looking around them.

Just my own opinion, but I'm interested to see what you guys think. Did you love them, or did you hate them? Would you want to see something like this again in the future, or is DST better off without them?

Yea, some time ago I was marathoning them trailers, and then I noticed that they had walls back in the day (I wasn't around back then). ANd yeah, walls make much more sense than empty holes of infinity. but there is one thing I dont understand with the walls: when you rotate the camera, can yo see from behind the walls, or do they disappear, or what?

2 minutes ago, DaZoul said:

can yo see from behind the walls, or do they disappear, or what?

Glad you mentioned that, I actually found one of the original videos with the walls in (thought they were lost to time itself).

I agree with others that the walls look too primitive to be acceptable nowadays. If they had an aesthetic improvement I would be all for it as it would give the caves more character than they currently have. 

I actually remember when the caves had walls because the version of Don't Starve that video was filmed on is probably the same version that I played DS on for the first time. I don't remember them being that dodgy, but I do remember that at that time dying in the caves would respawn you at the entrance and for Willow at least a new lighter would appear in your inventory. Interesting times.

I think it makes sense to have walls in the caves but I really hate those walls. If the walls had more finished and natural look I might love them, but then again I've never played with walls and I could find them frustrating if they were blocking my vision everywhere... All in all I'm pretty happy with how the caves look now, and if at some point we do get walls that look better than the original ones I'd like to have them only in some biomes, not everywhere.

They were nice, I miss them.

If they got a touch up visually, and some phasing away when the camera passes through them, I could totally seem them being current day implementations. 

Namely a Hamlet like touch up where the corners have art.

image.png.f1404748acecb12ba95cfa4408f40611.png

seeing those walls does make me understand why they were removed. it is a two-punch combo of them not fitting the ds theme of open desolation and being a b***h to try and work with. you either have bad clip like that bunnyman or you have enough padding that the hitboxes would disallow players to get too close to the walls and make it feel janky. either way it would look unfinished and a bit too cozy(i mean, part of how the game forces you to remember you are never going to 'tame' it is by making you constantly aware that there is open pace in every direction but down no mater how much junk you build)

2/10. ruins the atmosphere and clips like a barber on overtime

i kind of agree that they dont really work with the organic shape of the cave world gen we got in DST but in the Hamlet ruins and Mant labyrinths with square rooms i think walls look really nice and add a very cozy feeling. If an environment like that could be added to DST somehow i think thatd be really neat 

1 hour ago, Ohan said:

If an environment like that could be added to DST somehow i think thatd be really neat 

if wanted to implement those walls then they have to absolutely change the current caves layout... we have lots of thin and long passages that would be blocked by walls and you couldn't really see between the wall sandwich... I don't think this is gonna work.. and tbh I prefer they added new biomes instead of reshaping the ruins only for aesthetic purposes

3 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

you didnt read what i wrote. i didnt say they should change the DST ruins to fit the hamlet ruins style. 

1 hour ago, Ohan said:

kind of agree that they dont really work with the organic shape of the cave world gen we got in DST

1 hour ago, Ohan said:

If an environment like that could be added to DST somehow i think thatd be really neat 

6 minutes ago, Ohan said:

you didnt read what i wrote. i didnt say they should change the DST ruins to fit the hamlet ruins style. 

I did... that's why I said this

13 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

then they have to absolutely change the current caves layout

I actually quoted the last part of your post for that reason

Fill the cave gaps with LAVA!!!! or Spikey Death pits, or err something.. it’s a little frustrating to die in a cave and become a ghost because you can’t map out places you haven’t been yet, and you can’t float over these gaps to easily reach the surface and resurrect yourself.

Fun fact- I’ve been stuck in a cave as a ghost with no map, no light, and no way to easily get back to a resurrection slab due to not being able to cross these gaps for over 40 minutes. It is not fun, it’s just plain annoying.

On the surface world I can “ghost” over the entire ocean to get back to a Respawn point, ghosts float.. it’s what they do. I do not understand why this has to be different in cave.

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Fill the cave gaps with LAVA!!!! or Spikey Death pits, or err something.. it’s a little frustrating to die in a cave and become a ghost because you can’t map out places you haven’t been yet, and you can’t float over these gaps to easily reach the surface and resurrect yourself.

Fun fact- I’ve been stuck in a cave as a ghost with no map, no light, and no way to easily get back to a resurrection slab due to not being able to cross these gaps for over 40 minutes. It is not fun, it’s just plain annoying.

On the surface world I can “ghost” over the entire ocean to get back to a Respawn point, ghosts float.. it’s what they do. I do not understand why this has to be different in cave.

hmmm.. I mean there are already solutions to resolve death in the caves: 1. wear an amulet with you, 2. leave some amulets in your caves and ruins mini bases, 3. make a meat effigy in your caves and ruins bases... the meat effigy actually teleports you immediately so you won't get stuck.

I don't see why we need to change the empty space to clutter the caves with "stuff" when there are already simple solutions for that.

25 minutes ago, Minitte said:

i wonder if these walls can be restored with a dst mod. I kinda want to try it with the first person dst mod

It wouldnt be practically possible sadly. We don't have a way to make billboard-orientated entities in DST.

Though you could do it in DS, as DS does allows us to create billboard-orientated entities.

On 8/2/2020 at 9:37 AM, Mike23Ua said:

I believe the walls are supposed to still be there, you just can't see them.

I kind of agree with almost everybody in this thread in one way or another. I didn't know about the walls in alpha and I did like the whole 'vibe' that they gave the caves in that video, it felt like a different place. Of course it was in alpha and their look would be changed if the idea went forward. But I also didn't like how they blocked the view, and I feel it would get tiring/annoying after a while, both for exploring and base building.

So I don't know, it could be great, but either for another game or for a new area in DST.

Thanks for sharing that!

Archived