Do you join public servers? And if not why?

Do you join public servers?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No?

Playing on a server you neither own nor are a regular on can be disheartening if you do a really good job in building a base, or just find yourself getting really good rng in a throwaway server. I was playing Wormwood on a public server for fun, and tried to spend the next 15-20 days building a structurally sound base for everyone to use; when Winter hit, the server was deleted. In a sense, I felt like I wasted a few hours at that point on something that was ultimately going down the toilet. 

I never go onto pubs because of the inability to continue the world. Sure, some people like the "do as much as you can in one go" type playstyle, but I'm judt not like that. I like seeing my world slowly build up over time, to see the peogress Im making, and feeling that all my time invested in going somewhere. I just don't think I can keep getting emotionally invested for it to be torn away, and so I don't go on pubs. I may do the occational gorge or forge matches every once in a while, but I just can't bring myself to play in public servers. 

I do sometimes. I enjoy playing with new players and I like helping them during the early game and trying to guide them without spoiling too much or doing everything by myself.

Discovering the game and not knowing anything about it was when I had the most fun with it, and playing with new players recreates a bit of that feeling. I usually just play up to the end of winter or so since that's where most new players struggle.

Yes.

Public servers are ultimately about chaos, adventure, enjoying the time while you are there, doing something more or less meaningful, and meeting new people. Sometimes your actions may even extend beyond yourself, and make other players learn new tactics, or even carry the public server beyond its usual reset date.
And if you are lucky and persistent enough, you may make new friends to continue playing with.

It's all about the mindset really. If you set your mind that you want to play to reach certain date, or build a megabase, then hopping in a public server will be devastating for you, as its is highly unlikely that all the other players will be at the same skill level or have the same objectives. But once you accept the inherent chaos, and the inevitable impermanence of the world, you start to focus on what's the best you can do for the time you will spend there.
This is my opinion on the matter at least, when i realized this I started having a lot of fun on public servers, and made a lot of friends.

I only play in public servers, my internet is not good enough to host other worlds, but I don't want to be bound to someone else's time schedule or rules.

The constant regeneration is a mixed blessing. I love that urgency to build in new worlds, and I get lazy when there's already 5 food farms and all the seasons are covered in the older ones. But it's disheartening knowing that after getting something like a mothling or krampus sack, that it will be gone next time I play the game.

Public servers are a great way to learn how to rush different milestones, because if you fail just move on to the next server. Honestly I rarely ever have bad experiences on public servers and if I do people don’t mind rolling back and kicking griefers as needed.

I also play on them for just casual and social play. It’s nice to band together with a group of randos and try to accomplish stuff, even if it is as simple as killing dfly, or going to the lunar island, or making a cool base. Plus you get to teach new players things along the way, which is important for a strong player base. 

I certainly understand not wanting to play on public servers, but they definitely have their uses.

Public Servers don’t exist on Xbox, we have player hosted servers, and when the host leaves the room the server kicks everyone out, this can be used to also prevent grieving to rollback to a previous save. 
but for the most part most play sessions are short-lived. When I DO join someone else’s server I refuse to join their Xbox party regardless of if they send me 500 invites to it, and I will mostly do my own thing that hopefully helps them in some weird way-

Like building a Sisturn :) But what I will NOT do is tell them every little thing I know about the game spoiling them learning it for themselves, I also won’t drop what I’m doing to come bring you supplies should you be unfortunate or dumb enough to join during summer or winter.

What I WILL do is help you fight monsters I see you struggling with and give you stuff like helmets and spears so you stop dying.. But as far as dropping what I’m doing to rush to your aid and bring you a thermal stone should you join a game in Winter, pffft forget that.

If someone joins My world, I try my best not to have to roll the server back so it doesn’t mess up whatever the other people are doing, but sometimes grieving happens & I don’t have much choice.

Does that make me a terrible person to play this game with? Probably.. but I didn’t buy it to “Squad up” and go after raid bosses, I bought it to do whatever I wanted in an open world sandbox, and the bottom line-

if you don’t want random people joining your game, consider putting a password on it? absolutely NO ONE is allowed in my servers during Summer simply because my experience with the majority of Xbox players I’ve played with has proven that they do not know how to properly handle it and it’s just best for my worlds safety to play through Summer Alone.

but now... now Klei has added a “Random” option to weather seasons- and I think I’m going to start playing with everything completely random without password locking it- I’m fully aware it’s going to be Chaos. But I’ll love every second of it ;) 

I don't, cuz you never know how players you encounter will behave themselves, while your friends almost always will help you in a difficult situation.

I play mostly on Forge or Gorge public servers, because if you lose the game or be killed (griefed, etc.), you won't lose your X-day progress like big base or smth.

I typically don't play pubs.  Most of my game play is solo.  However since RoT I have gone into pubs, but its mostly to test how quickly I can build a solid ship.  After some plays I got it down to about 10 days to build a boat with a crock pot, fridge, alchemy machine, bait station, firepit, lightning rod, 2 sails, sea fishing rod and a set of lures.  Then I'd hunt the malbatross to see if I can sink her before winter hits.  I've had mixed success with getting her since hunting her might take some time, but I feel pretty confident that I could start a world to just boat in 24/7 without needing a mainland base.

However things took a turn for the dark when I had 4 people join me on the boat...  The line for the crock pot was so long that I lost half my health waiting for my turn.  No one knew how to use the food properly so the fish were gone about as fast as I could catch it.  Everyone wanted to stop and fish at every stupid fish spot when we needed sea bass for that size party.  Sea bass and a LOT of kelp, which they didn't seem to want to collect as we boated by...  Anyway - long story short I'm done with pub servers again.  I hate people.  DST is really just DS2 for me.

I always play on pub servers. It's boring playing alone imo; the world is way too resource-abundant to be even remotely challenging for one person, and less progress is made early on. Maybe it's because I never played single-player DS, but being alone on a world feels uncomfortable to me.

57 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

I typically don't play pubs.  Most of my game play is solo.  However since RoT I have gone into pubs, but its mostly to test how quickly I can build a solid ship.  After some plays I got it down to about 10 days to build a boat with a crock pot, fridge, alchemy machine, bait station, firepit, lightning rod, 2 sails, sea fishing rod and a set of lures.  Then I'd hunt the malbatross to see if I can sink her before winter hits.  I've had mixed success with getting her since hunting her might take some time, but I feel pretty confident that I could start a world to just boat in 24/7 without needing a mainland base.

However things took a turn for the dark when I had 4 people join me on the boat...  The line for the crock pot was so long that I lost half my health waiting for my turn.  No one knew how to use the food properly so the fish were gone about as fast as I could catch it.  Everyone wanted to stop and fish at every stupid fish spot when we needed sea bass for that size party.  Sea bass and a LOT of kelp, which they didn't seem to want to collect as we boated by...  Anyway - long story short I'm done with pub servers again.  I hate people.  DST is really just DS2 for me.

Yeah, any more than 3 people on a boat is a recipe for disaster, both from a survival and comfort perspective. Was no one taking the role of chef while you were driving the boat? Also, I highly recommend putting a bird cage on the boat; you unlock a whole bunch of useful recipes out at sea just from having that bird, to the point where tunnel-visioning sea bass is pretty inefficient. 

4 hours ago, Shosuko said:

However things took a turn for the dark when I had 4 people join me on the boat...  The line for the crock pot was so long that I lost half my health waiting for my turn. 

Oh my god, I have the same thing happen to me all the time haha

I really only play on public servers sometime and I really only play for fun rather then survival. I find myself joining free for all severs and severs were we all just chill and fight bosses. The only real base building I do is by myself.  

Yes.

I like Survival and Endless Vanilla Dedicated servers, be it KLei official or community servers. My play-style is nomad but I enjoy reading chat and seeing interactions between people from different walks of life & skill levels. I go on these servers with the thought in mind it will be a fleeting experience - like irl's happenings - and try to enjoy it the most. I usually pop on mid-Winter, Spring or mid-Summer servers for added survival challenge with a certain goal in mind (Ruins rush, going after a certain boss, boating, scouting for Moon's or Pearl's Island, fishing etc), different from session to session. A Willow & Wendy co-main. If DST didn't had pubs with randoms I for one would've quit this game a long time ago (did everything in it multiple times with vanilla settings, scarcity, lights-out only winter etc and tested most of the prominent mod-packs out there in Steam Workshop).

9 hours ago, Owlrus98 said:

Playing on a server you neither own nor are a regular on can be disheartening if you do a really good job in building a base, or just find yourself getting really good rng in a throwaway server. I was playing Wormwood on a public server for fun, and tried to spend the next 15-20 days building a structurally sound base for everyone to use; when Winter hit, the server was deleted. In a sense, I felt like I wasted a few hours at that point on something that was ultimately going down the toilet. 

So much this, after leaving a public server and coming back to my base in ruins, I decided to either play solo, with friends, or a public server where I'm the host.

20 hours ago, Rinkusan said:

Yeah, any more than 3 people on a boat is a recipe for disaster, both from a survival and comfort perspective. Was no one taking the role of chef while you were driving the boat? Also, I highly recommend putting a bird cage on the boat; you unlock a whole bunch of useful recipes out at sea just from having that bird, to the point where tunnel-visioning sea bass is pretty inefficient. 

idk sea bass bite and reel in quicker than any other fish in the sea...  The only faster way for a group would probably be hitting up cookie cutters.  What options did you have in mind?

2 hours ago, Shosuko said:

idk sea bass bite and reel in quicker than any other fish in the sea...  The only faster way for a group would probably be hitting up cookie cutters.  What options did you have in mind?

They do, and they certainly are the most efficient fish to catch. However, tunnel-visioning them at the expense of other fish is extremely inefficient.

I actually covered this in the giant fishing-guide thread I made recently (I made a supplemental Abigail meta guide and the main ocean survival guide which I don't think got as much attention as the former), but you can catch a bunch of small fish and convert them to meatballs via the 1 fish morsel + 3 eggs recipe. You can also use small fish and monster meat to make bacon and eggs: 2 eggs + fish morsel + monster meat, which is way more efficient than using that monster meat for meatballs. I listed out the fish that you should actually target when you see them out at sea and the various recipes you can utilize using the food sources you have on your voyage.

Keep in mind that each person on your boat requires 75 hunger per day, so every bit of hunger you can squeeze out from your raw ingredients while you're sailing is precious time saved, which is why there's no reason to lack a dedicated chef if you're traveling with a partner or partners, and there's no reason to specifically target sea bass while ignoring the other fish. It sounds like, based on your previous message, that you've been relying on fish meat and kelp to make meatballs. If that's the case, I highly recommend just eating fish meat raw and using fish morsels to make meatballs, whether it's with fish morsel + 3 kelp, or fish morsel + 3 eggs.

If you want, I'm more than happy to show you or anyone how exactly to stay alive out at sea almost-permanently in-game. It's imo a very underappreciated way of playing the game.

12 hours ago, Rinkusan said:

I actually covered this in the giant fishing-guide thread I made recently (I made a supplemental Abigail meta guide and the main ocean survival guide which I don't think got as much attention as the former), but you can catch a bunch of small fish and convert them to meatballs via the 1 fish morsel + 3 eggs recipe. You can also use small fish and monster meat to make bacon and eggs: 2 eggs + fish morsel + monster meat, which is way more efficient than using that monster meat for meatballs. I listed out the fish that you should actually target when you see them out at sea and the various recipes you can utilize using the food sources you have on your voyage.

I went and checked out the thread, you make some good instructions there.  It means changing my boat design to fit a bird on though...  It also means I need to cook meats and eggs so I'll need a furance or fireplace...  I'll have to play around with it.  Bacon and eggs is a great hunger dish, especially since hunting fish and monster meat on the sea is sometimes easier than getting good amount of kelp.  Only problem is fighting cookie cutters with spear isn't so great, and its not easy to come by a fresh hambat without bringing a pig on board...  Kinda wish there was a mid-tier weapon that was accessible on the seas lol

Also - large fish - the wiki was wrong.  It said in DST that large fish were only 18 hunger in DST.  You said it was 25 which surprised me so I loaded into the game to check it (I don't use food value mods, maybe I should? lol) and it is 25.  That does make larger fish a good dish to just eat raw.  Also while I did hunt corncods I did it to make powder cakes for farms not to eat.  I didn't realize corn is 25 hunger raw as well.  That's definitely a good fish to go after as well.

2 hours ago, Shosuko said:

I went and checked out the thread, you make some good instructions there.  It means changing my boat design to fit a bird on though...  It also means I need to cook meats and eggs so I'll need a furance or fireplace...  I'll have to play around with it.  Bacon and eggs is a great hunger dish, especially since hunting fish and monster meat on the sea is sometimes easier than getting good amount of kelp.  Only problem is fighting cookie cutters with spear isn't so great, and its not easy to come by a fresh hambat without bringing a pig on board...  Kinda wish there was a mid-tier weapon that was accessible on the seas lol

Also - large fish - the wiki was wrong.  It said in DST that large fish were only 18 hunger in DST.  You said it was 25 which surprised me so I loaded into the game to check it (I don't use food value mods, maybe I should? lol) and it is 25.  That does make larger fish a good dish to just eat raw.  Also while I did hunt corncods I did it to make powder cakes for farms not to eat.  I didn't realize corn is 25 hunger raw as well.  That's definitely a good fish to go after as well.

Oh yeah for sure; bacon and eggs and/or surf n turf is what you should reserve your monster meat for. It's a precious commodity out at sea because of how much hunger you can extract from it and how quickly you can farm them as opposed to fish meat which has more value being eaten raw and is slower to farm. Fighting cookie cutters with spears is definitely not great, which is part of the reason why I made the supplemental Abigail meta thread; why waste durability on any weapon at all when you can just let Abigail do all the work for you? Also, you actually DON'T need to cook any meats because you can feed raw fish morsels or even the small fish itself to the bird for eggs. You can cook monster meat to keep the shelf life up (monster meat is the only meat in the game whose overall shelf life goes up the sooner you cook it), but otherwise, having a furnace doesn't really make that much of a difference. I only use a furnace on my boat for aesthetic reasons and as an emergency light source in case I find myself out of firepit/lantern fuel.  

Maybe fish meat was 18 hunger before the hermit crab update; not sure. But thanks for letting me know about the wiki error; I'll go ahead and correct it. A lot of people make the mistake of cooking corn and assuming the small amount of hunger from eating popcorn is the same as the hunger from eating regular corn, which is why corn is underappreciated as a food source. 

I join public servers, but I don't host them. Sometimes I want to play DST and none of my friends are online/have time, and if I play by myself on my own server I eventually get lonely and bored and start screwing around with console commands instead of surviving properly. I'm fine with playing with strangers of all skill levels so long as they aren't mean or excessively demanding, and I try not to get attached to the stuff I build or sink too much time into base-building in general if it's not an Endless server.

Archived