Do you join public servers? And if not why?

Do you join public servers?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No?

Never on console, feels like a waste of time. Always solo in my own world. I have ptsd from when I used to let people play in my world. They either burnt all my berry bushes burn away Or it was summer and they went by them and let them burn. Most of the people that would join my game were very inexperienced. When it comes to joining someone else’s it’s very similar. Anyone that makes it past the first season password protects there game, so 90% of the time your playing with a super inexperienced person.

I like to carry the team. it is the chance to have multiple people look up to me as they purveyor of food and direction to the entire team. it was fun being complimented for good work so i was happy to rush lunar isles. plus if i don't host i don't have to care about my connection since my computer is sometimes comparable to the metal potato.

i remember one *very* fun server where we we're in the caves only. there was no surface so grass, twigs, and food we're scarce. when i joined i was warly and they'd gotten to alchemy, but we we're in the blue forest and chopping all the trees to feed ourselves. we didn't have access to bunnies since we didn't have enough food to afford an expedition outside of the base. it was pure, uncompromising game play since we we're all surviving on me being there, providing the pot to make and hold all our food. i became the crux of the game and we had scrape by for a while until we eventually found some bunnies and then could progress further.

another time i was woodie, rushing lunar isles for the server. me placing down the bushes at the small hovel with nothing more than a pit and alchemy made it our base from that point on, and we prospered into day 18...then someone griefed the base......and i accidentally called a world restart instead of a rollback.....shush your laughing.....

also just the lack of seriousness on them is refreshing and many people on don't starve are simply a better, or at least better-natured, breed of players. none of the rampant toxcicity of tf2 or just constant...*non-kosher* jokes in many other games.

i honestly could write paragraph upon paragraph about the benefits of a public server and my tastes in playing don't starve, and am completely willing to continue if you need a reason for people to vote yes on the poll.

One of the main reasons I play DST is for the players, otherwise I'd be perfectly content playing either solo DST or DS, but I'd never have the motivation or amusement to go too far. Hamlet and SW are really fun on DS, but I get bored without someone else to play with, even if I don't make it very far. I don't play too much PC DST anymore since I've got most of my friends on console, but I stop by to play on a random dedicated server every now and again to see what everyone is up to.

To simply put it, I prefer playing with people for how entertaining they make the game via conversation and whatnot, but anyone can play the game how they'd like. :wilson_laugh:

Archived