[Poll] On She Sells Seashells Postmortem

Sea shell Sheshells on the Sheshore. Sea shell Sheshells on the Sheshore.  

80 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about She Sells Seashells content update??

• Very Satisfied
    • Satisfied
    • Unsatisfied
    • Very Unsatisfied
    • I have no strong feelings regarding the rework
  2. 2. What was the most fleshed-out, though-of part of the update for you?

• The Hermit crab, a step up in DST's NPC formula
    • The Crab King, an all new boss with all-new content
    • The addition of new ocean-related mobs (lobsters and new seasonal fishes)
    • The Clean Sweeper.
    • The Shell Bells, new interactive decorations
    • the addition of Sunken Treasures and Winches
    • The Celestial Tribute, and with it a promise of new lore and content...
    • other (do mention in the comments!)
  3. 3. If you answered "Very Satisfied/Satisfied", why so?

• The new content is fair and balanced.
    • The new content is interesting and brought new ways to play.
    • The new content made the game more enjoyable to play as a whole.
    • The new content added valuable lore that complements what we have greatly..
    • The new content confirms even newer content.
    • The new content is pretty heartwarming.
    • The new content added a very much appreciated QoL item.
    • The new content added fun new items, mobs and tools to use.
    • I voted "Very Unsatisfied/Unsatisfied".
    • I voted "No strong feelings.
  4. 4. If you answered "Very Unsatisfied/Unsatisfied", why so?

• The new content is broken/underpowered.
    • The new content is uninteresting and brought little to DST's table.
    • The new content made the game less enjoyable to play as a whole.
    • The new content added useless lore that didn't contribute to what we have..
    • The new content goes against DST's motif.
    • The new content added useless or optional content.
    • I voted "Very Satisfied/Satisfied."
    • I voted "No strong feelings."

To be fair, I didn't like this update much. To me ocean exploration is still something that is completely not enjoyable with DST boats (because of how slow, clunky and resource-intensive it is plus all the seastacks in the way, for which you have to slow down to a crawl...), therefore this update added nothing I will even bother with unless I run out of things to do on the main land. Exploring the ocean is acceptable only as Weregoose.
About the crabby hermit quests... kinda whatever. Find the island as Woodie, build a boat bridge to it and go back and forth between the main land and the crabby hermit island to bring her what she needs. And finding bottles across the ocean to trade with her is something I will definitely not be doing.
Crab King boss. I don't like him and I don't see myself beating him, especially after the pan flute nerf. And no matter how good the Celestial Tribute is gonna be in the future, I doubt it's going to be worth the hassle of obtaining the pearl and beating this boss in the first place.

Clean Sweeper though, that's awesome. Such a good QoL feature plus the ability to get skins for non-craftable items. Surprisingly the most exciting part of the update.

The introduction of Pearl and her quests brought an interesting small pseudo-Adventure Mode to DST via a pretty complex NPC. Interacting with her can be emotionally rewarding, one can base on Pearl's island, and it represents a mandatory step in tackling Crab King and future Celestial Tribute uses (probably in making a Gate of sorts via loot from some Moon Chess Pieces future fight).

I for one fancy Ocean exploring to some degree even with current boats (and I make mine as all-year-rounded Survival-oriented as possible) so I like the Bottles mechanic plus Pinchin Winch's treasure hunt.

For Crab King have not much to say, fought it 2ice with friends and acquaintances, was an interesting battle and I see its difficulty in solo-ing or going at it with small numbers of people (there was about 8 of us so..). Loot from him is kinda "Meh!" imo.

Clean Sweeper was a long-time requested article for its implication: reskins of mobs/bosses' loot plus a way to swap existing skin-drop items' skins. An excellent addition!

All-in-all an ok update. Paves the way for more complex stuff and also brings a bit of lore to the table (aside obvious Constant one, some characters are better flashed out - for example Wolfgang's mention of "babushka" in his quote regarding Hermit's default/stage 1 home, a term from Russian meaning "grandmother/elderly woman", further giving credence to the theory Wolfgang is of Russian/Prussian descent).

A question, is it possible for Klei to extend sea size all around the main island without being too difficult ?

Seastacks is maybe a problem. We could see it on more specific places, like real sea biomes (reason I would like to see a bigger sea). 

If we could sail faster without using 4 or 5 sails, feel more free. What about a little weird engine ? That would break sails system, unless we could turn off 5 sails at the same time with some specific item.

New boats, new gameplay for it, it's maybe what most of the players are waiting for. But will it be as smooth as in Shipwrecked ? It can't because we need something "big", a real little base as we have for now. So... I dunno.

RoT is not finished, and I'm still not understanding why people complainig about some "useless", as we know Klei's working step by step.

Cool update, I like as much the gameplay as the story behind the Crab King and Hermit Crab, it also added some fair ocean activities with the bottles and treasure hunts with a very interesting boss fight. So overall it's amazing.

In only have 2 issues with SSSS, the first one is the Shell Bells that were looking fun but are laking in creativity, and the variety of sunken treasures, I expected at least 10 more loot tables and I can only hope for more of them to be added with the rest of the updates.

I really dig the new ocean content.  I'm moving more and more towards sailing full time in DST.  I really enjoy the way the sailing is done.  The boats feel cramped though, its hard to fit everything on them.  This is especially bad on consoles  where you can't easily click the sail, wheel, or anchor if anything else is around it...

I would really like it if they could find some way to re-bind console controls.  They are really bad... I do not like playing with them.

Unfortunately, every update so far felt unfinished to me - there's a premise for something bigger in the future, but ultimately it serves very little purpose. Even though fish weight serves a purpose now with addition of hermit crab, her bundle of thanks contains lures to catch fish, bottles are traded for fish-related stuff and ultimately you end up catching fish to catch more fish (albeit more efficiently and more conveniently). While sunken chests mostly contain non-fishing stuff, they don't contain very valuable stuff and you can get loot of those via natural sources much faster. While it appears that some steps are being taken in the right direction, those still don't seem appealing enough to me.

For example, almost every way of looting seas in Shipwrecked has something unique and rewarding - you can find ready-to-use dumbrella in one of Steamer Trunks before you get the chance to craft it and it will be rather handy during hurricane season. Trawl Net provides you with indefinitely renewable pan flutes, gold/golden tools which are hard to come by in decent amount due to absence of pigking, and uncraftable weapon - Trident that deals 102 damage on seas - perfect for sea combat. Chests revealed by messages in the bottle have a chance to spawn special uncraftable backpack that generates dubloons on its own as long as its equipped. Quacken also drops this backpack when defeated, as well as barely obtainable in SW-only world thulecite armor and the holy walking cane. There's also a special hat that allows you to craft non-prototypable obsidian tools without having to travel to volcano every time.

Now compare those options to what Return of Them expansion offered so far. We already have stuff that is always in high demand but is limited to timescale such as bosses loot - everyone wants Eyebrella, but you can only get 1 per game year (maybe another 1 would be found in Klaus' gift, but that's still limited to game year). Or sweet bundling wrap blueprint - but you can only fight bee queen once in 20 days and it's usually killed within few days after respawning by some mighty Wolfgang. Or the holy Krampus sack that some may happen to get by accident and some may spend ages trying to get. Sea treasures would be alternative sources to get such items, probably more time-consuming, but at least not limited globally.

Can we fish up Hostile Enemy mobs by accident with the Winch?

DS is a SURVIVAL game.... we should certainly have that if it’s not already in the game. Right..?

Imagine opening a sunken treasure and your attacked by Skittersquid or something that was living inside of it.

I personally love the new addition of the bottles and being able to find treasure, but of course this is all possible because of the new crabby hermit. And i've already made a post about this. But now players can use bottles as a sort of currency with eachother. Because bottles cant be crafted or obtained by the "average player" (because come on... no one sails... except me) that means that there wont be massive inflation like with gold and the pig king.

In general I liked the update. I found very interesting the interaction of the new NPC, new boss mechanics  ... new items... But these days I hope they give utilities to the fish, as well as some of shipwrecked. Currently there is a great diversity and limitations to fishing them, but really lack goals for this. Since only another source of food is not a good thing, the game already has many other easier ways to achieve. I too expect more life to the ocean, such as new islands and interactions in addition to climate change. 

I wish the clean sweeper was cheaper material wise, I’m ok with the living log half, but dark petals are hard to farm without dying.

I’m not interested in boating or HP sponges, so crab king doesn’t interest me. 

The crab hermit I’m lukewarm on, interesting idea, but bad location and rewards I don’t value.

I haven’t tried lobsters yet, I could see using it as healing food for bosses/ruins.

7 minutes ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

I wish the clean sweeper was cheaper material wise, I’m ok with the living log half, but dark petals are hard to farm without dying.

I’m not interested in boating or HP sponges, so crab king doesn’t interest me. 

The crab hermit I’m lukewarm on, interesting idea, but bad location and rewards I don’t value.

I haven’t tried lobsters yet, I could see using it as healing food for bosses/ruins.

evil petals are everywhere around suspicious trees and graveyards and other maxwell set pieces. You'd really have a terrible world to not have any of these.

4 minutes ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

But other players also wanting them makes it scarce.

it has infinite durability. You only need one sweeper in an entire world, and there's no reason a person would keep it in their inventory forever.

6 minutes ago, Well-met said:

it has infinite durability. You only need one sweeper in an entire world, and there's no reason a person would keep it in their inventory forever.

Like Tams, the reason they would keep it is because it’s difficult to get another; most players keep it on hand and don’t leave it behind when they leave the game.

It would need to be shaving razor cheap for players to leave it behind.

37 minutes ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

There's also a 25% chance of Totally Normal tree dropping one sweeper upon chopping it down.

I’ve said this before, but the past two updates really haven’t convinced me, a person is taking hiatus from don’t starve, to come back.

I’m sure I will get flamed for this, but fishing is literally the most boring thing in any video game ever, so having 2 updates back-to-back with the main focus being on fishing doesn’t really encourage me to come back.

To be perfectly honest, the entirety of Return of Them has felt... I don’t want to say disappointing but maybe unappeasing? It just feels like the new content is a one-and-done type of thing.

The initial update was great. Even though it was bare basics, having everyone get together on a tiny little boat to try to find the moon island on the ocean was some of the most fun I’ve had in DST for awhile. It really set the stage for what Return of Them was going to be.

And then the woodie rework came out. Now every woodie that hops on the server immediately changes to a goose and bombrushes for the island, harvest all the stone fruit bushes, and then makes a bridge to and from the mainland. I know water walking was one of Woodie’s most requested features, but right now it kinda invalidates the whole point of searching for the islands, even if the world generation reveals its spot on the map anyways.

The next update with the Albatross and salt stacks wasn’t the most exciting, but understandably the ocean needs more biomes to explore and more threats to be careful of. The Albatross itself is more of a nuisance, and I wouldn’t go out of my way to fight him for his rewards.

The next update focused primarily on fishing. Meh.

Now with She Sells Seashells, we get another island to explore, for a cute character to do FISHING quests for, which leads to another boss fight, which leads to a glorified weapon/fishing instrument.

I will reserve judgement of Return of Them until the final update for it comes out, but I can’t help but feel a bit dissatisfied so far. However, many people are expecting the next update to be a big one, or even the final one for Return of Them.

I hope said update will be exciting enough to entice me to play again.

1 minute ago, minespatch said:

Only thing this update lacked was a seashell container. The seashells seem too important to destroy unless you want to make tiles. Would really appreciate a seashell container in the future.

why are they important? they do nothing.

Archived