Jump to content

A new revolutionary winter survival method : Scorching Sunfish!


Recommended Posts

Scorching Sunfish

This lil' guy radiates heat in your inventory, keeps you warm while it's in your inventory. Or you can drop it with thermal stone to heat it up. This (and other) fish can live 1.3 days in winter at your inventory, and 2.6 days in your chef pouch or insulated pack. But most notably this guy can survive more than 5 days in Wurt's inventory (with extra 3.3 sanity per minute). If you're a Wurt main, why don't ya go fishing at summer to catch them?

(Personally I'm very glad about Klei added a brand-new thing to do at summer, more than just fishing at oasis & killing the antlion.:encouragement:)

 

+Plus

latest?cb=20200416190323

Also ice bream can keep you chilly, but unlike winter foods spoil faster at summer- fish can survive at most nearly 3 days even in Wurt's inventory. And I usually bring the Magnificent Luxury Fan at summer, but someone can take advantage of this too!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, HeatAndRun said:

This (and other) fish can live 1.3 days in winter at your inventory, and 2.6 days in your chef pouch or insulated pack.

Chef Pouch =/= Insulated Pack: It can survive only ~1.7 days in the Chef Pouch.

The Chef Pouch has been nerfed hard (25% less slots, items stay fresh only 33% longer instead of 100% longer inside) when Klei did implement it in DST.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Great finding! Can they be bundled alive?

image.png.7dee499ea7096a98308cf0078bbf997d.png

Yup you can!

4 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

The Chef Pouch has been nerfed hard (items perish 33% instead of 100% slower inside) when Klei did implement it in DST.

I actually didn't know about that. Thanks for the info!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been keeping a Tin Fishin' Bin full of these two fishes on my boat since the beta:
image.png.659a6ec1a90438fd06dbceebc8183a01.png

With an insulated pack, both are really handy to use as long as you're near your boat. With a base right by shore, I've been switching from fish to fish whenever it goes stale. I haven't tried using bundles, but considering the scorching sunfish burns stuff near it if left on the ground for long enough, I'm not sure if I want to...

My point is, I think anyone using an insulated pack can take advantage of both of these fish, as long as they mainly use them for insulation around base. I haven't tried using them with Wurt, but I will soon...

I'm very glad the seasonal fish were added in this update. They give me even more of a reason to stay in deeper waters, catching loads of deep bass while I wait for schools to spawn. The RNG can be a bit annoying at times (last summer it took until the dusk of the last day for a second school of sunfish to spawn) but it's probably for the best, since it adds variation to which fish you see in the ocean. Having to give a heavy one of each kind to the Crabby Hermit for the tackle adverts is cool, too. I just wish she gave more than just sea shells after she's been completely befriended... it'd give the heavy weighted lure a use throughout late-game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

once the fish is about to spoil, you can put it back into the tin fishin bin and it will slowly regain "freshness".
So you can do what Electroely did above and have a bin full of both types of fish and just constantly swap them out while the others regain freshness

But thanks for this post! I had no idea about these two having thermal abilities! I knew the ice bream gave ice and the sunfish emitted light. But this can really help when sailing in those season!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don’t forget that the sunfish also basically functions like a pseudo dwarf star! It will light things on fire (be sure to pick it up the moment you reel it in, otherwise it’s not going to end well), and that coupled with flingos can do a lot of interesting things. They are also much more controllable then dwarf stars, since you don’t have to wait for the timer to run out or actually die and haunt them to get rid of them. The only trade offs are the fact that they can be eaten and they last considerably less then normal dwarf starts, but as long as you keep them fresh with the bin you should be fine.

I really like how the seasonal fish were done. Niche, but fun uses

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn't call it revolutionary, as in my opinion thermal stones are way better. I cant refresh the fish by burning a tree, but i can heat up the thermal stone this way. And thermal stones are available day 1 and the earliest u can use the fish is first summer

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know it's little bit off topic still asking- Do we really need different types of lure to catch fish? I mean Do lures have that kind of effectiveness ? I tries some of the lures and didn't find any special difference.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Parusoid said:

I wouldn't call it revolutionary, as in my opinion thermal stones are way better. I cant refresh the fish by burning a tree, but i can heat up the thermal stone this way. And thermal stones are available day 1 and the earliest u can use the fish is first summer

It's not overly remarkable on the normal fellas, but it does wonders on Wurt. But ultimately yeah, still a summer-limited thing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

It's not overly remarkable on the normal fellas, but it does wonders on Wurt. But ultimately yeah, still a summer-limited thing. 

For those who prefer having a sailing lifestyle in dst (I am slowly becoming one myself :D) this is much less annoying than having to use a thermal stone or wasting precious wood on a fire during day. As I tend to stay on the seas for a few seasons before coming back this is great info for people with that playstyle. Not to mention I'm excited to see sailing upgraded even more and possibly an alternative to living on the main island the same way living in the caves is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Spaartan said:

For those who prefer having a sailing lifestyle in dst (I am slowly becoming one myself :D) this is much less annoying than having to use a thermal stone or wasting precious wood on a fire during day. As I tend to stay on the seas for a few seasons before coming back this is great info for people with that playstyle. Not to mention I'm excited to see sailing upgraded even more and possibly an alternative to living on the main island the same way living in the caves is.

I think it already is a viable alternative to living on the main land. I've been obsessively making boat bases since Hook, Line & Inker and I think it works out pretty nicely. The shoals of deep bass end up being my main food source, and with a few tin fishin' bins I can stockpile enough to last me a long time as I sail around the world looking for more shoals and restocking on essential materials like wood and silk from the mainland. And with the Pinchin' Winch and the seasonal fishes, there's more things to occupy myself with.

These two fishes have been a huge game changer for me because I don't have to constantly drain my fire fuel supply during the winter, and as long as I've gotten Ice Breams on the first year, a thermal stone is entirely optional until I decide to fight Klaus. I'm really hoping we get more fish with unique spawning circumstances and unique abilities or uses, because these four new ones have brought so much more to the ocean.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Electroely said:

I think it already is a viable alternative to living on the main land. I've been obsessively making boat bases since Hook, Line & Inker and I think it works out pretty nicely. The shoals of deep bass end up being my main food source, and with a few tin fishin' bins I can stockpile enough to last me a long time as I sail around the world looking for more shoals and restocking on essential materials like wood and silk from the mainland. And with the Pinchin' Winch and the seasonal fishes, there's more things to occupy myself with.

These two fishes have been a huge game changer for me because I don't have to constantly drain my fire fuel supply during the winter, and as long as I've gotten Ice Breams on the first year, a thermal stone is entirely optional until I decide to fight Klaus. I'm really hoping we get more fish with unique spawning circumstances and unique abilities or uses, because these four new ones have brought so much more to the ocean.

what you use as a bait in lure ? I generally use seeds but staying for a long time in ocean, how do you manage all these ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sovon9 said:

I know it's little bit off topic still asking- Do we really need different types of lure to catch fish? I mean Do lures have that kind of effectiveness ? I tries some of the lures and didn't find any special difference.

they all have different stats and most of the lures besides the newest 4 that were added attract different fishes. I made an ocean fishing chart that shows the stats of each different lure. It doesnt exactly explain each one in detail, but the info is there and you can make an educated decision on which one you want to use!
https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/115125-ocean-fishing-chart/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, sovon9 said:

what you use as a bait in lure ? I generally use seeds but staying for a long time in ocean, how do you manage all these ?

I mainly use the 3 spinnerbait and the rainy day and snow day lures to catch deep bass. They work very well for that. If you find shoals of deep bass in the ocean (they have an icon on the map) you can catch a lot of fish quickly if you use these lures. You can craft spinnerbait at a tackle receptable, but you'll need to find the Crabby Hermit for those last two lures.

3 hours ago, Parusoid said:

and do what? gather driftwood?

Looking for the Crabby Hermit's bottles, mining salt crystals and gathering cookie cutter shells, hunting the Malbatross, looking for sunken treasures, looking for seasonal fish...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Parusoid said:

and do what? gather driftwood?

Fish! I unreasonably enjoy fishing because it allows me to take a break from all of the chaos of the main island. I find it very calming to just live away from everyone else as they struggle to not die against the many shenanigans of dealing with the seasons. Other than that I just get extra boat repairs and ram into sea stacks for fun. 

Also what Electroely said :))

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/27/2020 at 6:29 AM, Electroely said:

Looking for the Crabby Hermit's bottles, mining salt crystals and gathering cookie cutter shells, hunting the Malbatross, looking for sunken treasures, looking for seasonal fish...

Yeah I do want to add to this. Ever since the addition of the bottles and sunken treasure chests. It actually has made it very worth it to go sailing around the world in search of treasure chests for really decent look. Even the "worst" drops are useful. And you can use the empty bottles to buy lures and floats from Pearl.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...