How does the constant pick it's Victims?

Known victims as of now 2/11/2020:

So, right now the only known victims that we have seen are Wilson, Winona, Warly and Maxwell! We all seen these characters experience their time being "Taken" into the constant. An extra character I could add is technically Willow, since she has experienced the supernatural of the constant being chased by a Very real Freaking Terror Beak in the real world as it smashes through the floor boards of the orphanage room.

Screenshot_20200211-103400_YouTube.thumb.jpg.0f54d41174a08ef511153f4d8d5d0edc.jpg

I'll write more to this but anyone have any ideas so far any patterns or clues, besides the fact that the characters names are spelt first with a W for these specific characters?

15 minutes ago, Frashaw27 said:

I believe there was a lore piece somwhere that said that the few volxela radios that were sold help Maxwell capture people. Now Winona migjt have been a special case simce Charlie specifically "summoned" her to the constant.

Funny how both Charlie and Winona went to the constant by "mistake".

Charlie was brought to the constant along with maxwell (maxwell being the main target)

Winona was brought to the constant because she was trying to save a co-work

2 minutes ago, trinket_4 said:

Funny how both Charlie and Winona went to the constant by "mistake".

Charlie was brought to the constant along with maxwell (maxwell being the main target)

Winona was brought to the constant because she was trying to save a co-work

Adding info for people who didn't saw the Winona short: It's strongly implied Winona applied for a  job at Voxola because she investigated about Charlie's and the other's dissapeareance.

9 minutes ago, Frashaw27 said:

I believe there was a lore piece somwhere that said that the few volxela radios that were sold help Maxwell capture people. Now Winona might have been a special case simce Charlie specifically "summoned" her to the constant.

Yeah your right about that, but there's also a case where Warly Had a Gramaphone and it was used to communicate to Warly as you see it hop up a bit before warly  disappears

I've had a few ideas for this in the past, I'll list them here.

Winona was not chosen by Them, she followed Wagstaff into the portal instead.

Willow is a special case, being visited by a terror beak in this world before being taken by Maxwell. I believe she is of some cosmic importance to Them, as well as having bernie, the only thing They seem to fear. I highly doubt this is a coincidence, and I really want to see where her story goes.

Wickerbottom was most likely chosen because of her magic knowledge, with her magic books most likely being created before she made contact with Maxwell.

Wolfgang was in the circus train that crashed into Maxwell's train. My theory is that Wolfgang knew about the codex being in the circus train, but something happened to him that made him forget about it. This would give reason for his bellow average intellect.

14 minutes ago, Superwolfkid said:

Yeah your right about that, but there's also a case where Warly Had a Gramaphone and it was used to communicate to Warly as you see it hop up a bit before warly  disappears

And Wagstaff made the gramaphone too.

1 hour ago, Superwolfkid said:

Known victims as of now 2/11/2020:

So, right now the only known victims that we have seen are Wilson, Winona, Warly and Maxwell! We all seen these characters experience their time being "Taken" into the constant. An extra character I could add is technically Willow, since she has experienced the supernatural of the constant being chased by a Very real Freaking Terror Beak in the real world as it smashes through the floor boards of the orphanage room.

Screenshot_20200211-103400_YouTube.thumb.jpg.0f54d41174a08ef511153f4d8d5d0edc.jpg

I'll write more to this but anyone have any ideas so far any patterns or clues, besides the fact that the characters names are spelt first with a W for these specific characters?

I wrote something a while back ago that would “Technically” Explain Everything, but this is a bit very dark and Very creepy. But then again.., this game is Rated 13+ And Wasn’t ever Intended for Children anyway.

So with that Said HERE is My Personal Theory I believe That the Constant is a Purgatory Between Heaven and Hell and that Characters that Are Inside the Constant are in fact actually DEAD in the Real World.

Lets Start with Wilson, In the trailer for Don’t Starve we see him mixing some chemicals before they explode in his face, he then sits in his chair upset about it until the Voxola Radio asks him if he would like to learn unspeakable Knowledge.

I believe that whatever chemicals blew up in his face was like acid, and in fact Wilson’s face melted off while sitting in his chair.

Now let’s move to Winona, Winona’s Lore Video shows her Working on fixing the Machine Which is Supposedly a Portal Wagstaff Built, Right before she sees her Sister Charlie’s Reflection in the portal and gets yanked in by her, The Factory then Explodes immediately afterwards collapsing in Rubble. 

I believe that Winona “Failed” to Fix the Machine she was working on parts of it fell on and crushed her beneath it, the factory then explodes.

Then There is Willow, Who as you said is Haunted by a Real-Life Terror-Beak before being Chased into a Closet with it which leads to her burning the entire orphanage down.

When we are close to Death & it is our time to go I’ve always heard rumors that we start seeing things that aren’t actually there, MAYBE Perhaps Willow was a Very sick child (which would explain why her bed in the orphanage had unique markings compared to all others) Willow Ran Away from these Visions of Death & hide inside a closet with a Lighter. The Fire Immune Willow we see leaving the Orphanage actually burned alive in that Locked Closet.

(The Only Thing I cant figure out is How the -bleep- she went from little child to 20-30yr old Woman..)

Warly, We see Warly Taking care of his Maman who does not remember him, It is only when Warly cooks a food for her that she begins to remember who Warly was..

I don’t Know HOW Warly died, But I can write this one off as Warly Already being Dead and his Maman In fact does not have memory loss, Warly has just simply been dead so long that she’s beginning to forget many of the memories she had with him, and it’s only when she eats a meal like the ones Warly use to make for her that she remembers some of Them.

Wendy is a bit harder to explain- Maybe the Constant “Rejects” Living Humans.. and therefore it See’s People Who are still Alive and not actually Dead as Ghostly Projections.. Which means Wendy and her Twin sister Abigail’s Roles are Actually Reversed.... it is WENDY Who Died and Abigail is still very very much Alive in the Real World.

HOW Wendy died we don’t know, I’ll try and figure something out for that when there’s more lore for her.

Wolfgang, Wilbur, Wes (all Circus Performers) and All obviously tragically Died As part of that Train-Wreck collision.

That would be my Personal (though a bit Dark) Theory on a few things at least anyway.

20 minutes ago, Mooagain said:

Willow is a special case, being visited by a terror beak in this world before being taken by Maxwell. I believe she is of some cosmic importance to Them, as well as having bernie, the only thing They seem to fear. I highly doubt this is a coincidence, and I really want to see where her story goes.

The way I personally see it, it's not that They fear Bernie or anything. I think they targetted Willow because life left her no one she can be close with. The only thing keeping her from feeling completely alone is Bernie, since she considers him a very close friend (even if he isn't real). With Bernie, she isn't vulnerable enough for the shadows to go after her. Or at least that's my interpretation of the short.

19 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

So with that Said HERE is My Personal Theory I believe That the Constant is a Purgatory Between Heaven and Hell and that Characters that Are Inside the Constant are in fact actually DEAD in the Real World.

Personally, I've never liked that types of plot point in stories, I've always seen it as lazy writing, and a dissatisfying ending. When I see stories end with the hero realizing it was all a dream, it kinda invalidates everything that just happened.

This might be a bit of an outdated way of looking at things lore-wise, but I've always thought it was just Maxwell who chose who to pull into the constant. That's why he took family (Wendy) and various people from the circus (Wes, Wolfgang, possibly Wilbur.) We see him tricking Wilson directly, too.

5 minutes ago, Mooagain said:

Personally, I've never liked that types of plot point in stories, I've always seen it as lazy writing, and a dissatisfying ending. When I see stories end with the hero realizing it was all a dream, it kinda invalidates everything that just happened.

Well.. Where else would you think that something that reads as “Celestial Portal” is going to take you once you build it?

8 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Well.. Where else would you think that something that reads as “Celestial Portal” is going to take you once you build it?

I remeber the devs gave an official explanation for this, something about they think they're dying, but they wake up on another island.

7 minutes ago, Electroely said:

The way I personally see it, it's not that They fear Bernie or anything. I think they targetted Willow because life left her no one she can be close with. The only thing keeping her from feeling completely alone is Bernie, since she considers him a very close friend (even if he isn't real). With Bernie, she isn't vulnerable enough for the shadows to go after her. Or at least that's my interpretation of the short.

That could work based on the other survivors in DS/T

Wilson was clearly an extreme introvert, living in the middle of the woods and still feeling the need for "Keep out" signs

Willow is an Orphan

Wolfgang, while social, Was a soldier, likely during the great war. So it is extreamly likely that all his friends had died during service which would have made him vunerable.

Wendy would have lost abigail, and definitly would have started isolating herself from her other loved ones

Wx-78 is a robot

Wickerbottom is old enough that many of her friends would have started dieing off. We also don't know of any spouses/children that she may have

Woodie Could have definitly had some friends, especally sense we know he lived/worked at a logging camp, but considering his, ah, mental state, I wouldn't be surprised if most people didn't really associate

Wes... is Wes

Maxwell did have familial ties, but unlike the others, he was meddling in the constant's magic before hand.

We don't know of any Ties Wagstaff had, however, I'm not even sure the constant wanted him in the first place. We know that he's seeking the knowledge of the constant, but the portal he built is entirely different from the one that Maxwell taught Wilson to build. He also talks about the Various things asthough he designed his own, similar set. though that could mean that either A. They stole his designs sense they worked so well, or B. They seeded the knowledge in him without him realizing it.

Wigfrid takes her method acting way to far, so I wouldn't be surprised if people avoided her

Warley's only known relative is his Maman, who's dementia means that she doesn't even remember him most of the time

Wormwood, Wortox, and Wurt are all constant natives.

The only one this doesn't work for is Webber, sense we know that he had a family before entering the constant. 12/13 is still pretty solid in my book though

3 minutes ago, Mooagain said:

I remeber the devs gave an official explanation for this, something about they think they're dying, but they wake up on another island.

I know it was a very Awkward explanation of “If Wendy uses the portal to Become Wormwood, Then Wendy Goes from Island A to Island B, Meanwhile Wormwood is using the portal to go from Island B to Island A.”

How does that even work??? How do they know to use the portal at the same exact time? Are they trying to explain it as a Multiverse and in one world Wendy is Wormwood and in the other Wormwood is Wendy & they still do the same exact thing? It’s very confusing.

But I do not wish to Derail the topic of this thread any further so I’ll just shut up now & let you guys discuss the Topic.

16 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Lets Start with Wilson, In the trailer for Don’t Starve we see him mixing some chemicals before they explode in his face, he then sits in his chair upset about it until the Voxola Radio asks him if he would like to learn unspeakable Knowledge.

vlcsnap-2020-02-12-04h02m10s911.png.ea5e833a6eef95bf59538de7c2113671.png

What about the blood sacrifice though...? Is it because he's Virgin?5d576e0edf4eb_Arielthoncdiscord.png.53228c98bab766ce8047c212e4242962.png

5 minutes ago, minespatch said:

vlcsnap-2020-02-12-04h02m10s911.png.ea5e833a6eef95bf59538de7c2113671.png

What about the blood sacrifice though...? Is it because he's Virgin?5d576e0edf4eb_Arielthoncdiscord.png.53228c98bab766ce8047c212e4242962.png

That's a possibility. But in my opinion i think it's just the method of sacrifice that Maxwell chose, in this case being a blood bondage in order to transport Wilson into the constant by having sample of his body, but that's just a theory.

21 hours ago, Mooagain said:

They said its like an Alternate Reality Portal, imagine Reality A Wilson is using it, and Reality B Wigfrid is using it and they swap places, that's what they said as far as I remember

1 hour ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

They said its like an Alternate Reality Portal, imagine Reality A Wilson is using it, and Reality B Wigfrid is using it and they swap places, that's what they said as far as I remember

That actually could explain why Ditto characters in Don't starve together is possible!

23 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I wrote something a while back ago that would “Technically” Explain Everything, but this is a bit very dark and Very creepy. But then again.., this game is Rated 13+ And Wasn’t ever Intended for Children anyway.

How do you explain Abigail's existence in the Constant? If the idea is that every single survivor died in the real world and is now living in purgatory, why does the ghost of another dead person exist in a place where originally-dead people are supposed to be alive? 

7 minutes ago, Rinkusan said:

How do you explain Abigail's existence in the Constant? If the idea is that every single survivor died in the real world and is now living in purgatory, why does the ghost of another dead person exist in a place where originally-dead people are supposed to be alive? 

Did you read the entire post? I explained that part in it.

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

Did you read the entire post? I explained that part in it.

I did read the entire post, and somehow that specific part went over my head, so that's my bad.

That being said, I see huge holes in this hypothesis. You were saying that Abigail is alive but Wendy is dead; by that logic, Abigail shouldn't even be in "purgatory" at all. On top of that, it completely contradicts established lore, specifically the fact that Wendy mourns her sister's death. 

2 hours ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

I'd love that and would support my NPC Maxwell theory.

Archived