Webber's Rework: How to Make him more of a Monster

He consumes Monster Meat with no negative results, he hangs out with Spiders, (I didn’t play as Webber in Shipwrecked but he should probably also had been immune to Venomous Spider Warriors..)

Theres More Spider there Then there is Human. Aka Venom.

Eddie Brock doesn’t WANT to Bite the heads off Humans.. that’s Something the Virus In him makes him do.

Unlike Spider-Man who is just some kid who still maintains ALL of his kid personality with a few additional Spider-like super powers.

Im sure The boy half of Webber doesn’t WANT To Eat Monster Meat or Hang Out with Spiders.. that’s just something the Spider-Half in him makes him do.

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

He consumes Monster Meat with no negative results, he hangs out with Spiders, (I didn’t play as Webber in Shipwrecked but he should probably also had been immune to Venomous Spider Warriors..)

Theres More Spider there Then there is Human. Aka Venom.

Eddie Brock doesn’t WANT to Bite the heads off Humans.. that’s Something the Virus In him makes him do.

Unlike Spider-Man who is just some kid who still maintains ALL of his kid personality with a few additional Spider-like super powers.

Im sure The boy half of Webber doesn’t WANT To Eat Monster Meat or Hang Out with Spiders.. that’s just something the Spider-Half in him makes him do.

It isn't exactly clear how his relationship with the spider works exactly, but it's not that he eats monster meat or stays with spiders against his will. We've seen that he can interact with others just fine (he doesn't even mention anything about wanting to eat them, like a spider would want to do). There's a lot of room for interpretation, so it's hard to say who's right and who's not, so I'll just mention my point of view on the matter:

I think he's been with the spider for a long time, as of the events of DST. He's probably went through a lot with it. He might've had to (or wanted to, or was told by the spider to) try monster meat and found out it's not that bad. It's possible that he never even saw monster meat before being with the spider, hence why he doesn't understand why others hate it so much. It's not like he loves it, though:
        Monster Meat: "Smells foul."
        Dried Monster Meat: "It's really chewy."
I think he's just never had a strongly negative opinion of monster meat, so he doesn't hate it now that he can stomach it well.

And about hanging out with spiders, I think it's a bit of a similar thing, except he's clearly had experience with spiders before he was eaten by one (since, well, he was eaten by one). But my interpretation is that enough time has passed for him to get used to spiders as friends. We know that he can communicate with the spider, too, so it's possible that the spider let him know that spiders aren't going to kill him.

Either way, I don't think eating monster meat or hanging out with spiders is something he's FORCED to do. And I don't think any of his own personality was lost, he just changed in some ways after his experiences with the spider - growing up, as kids usually do.

I am very sure that almost 100% of you missed the point entirely.

This rework idea is to make his perks more spider-y. What's the point of expanding upon his "human boy" side when there's not much going for it except "oh yeah his dad MIGHT be a farmer". Yes, that half of him exists, but what's there to bring from a gameplay perspective? Him being a spider leaves room for so many ideas and mechanics that are unexplored in Webber's current form.

4 hours ago, Frashaw27 said:

No. Ypu see how perks are made is that they help with the issue, but not remove the issue entirely.

Arguments like this were SPECIFICALLY addressed beforehand in the OP.

15 hours ago, Canis said:

Proposing Night Vision is a touchy subject. It gets rid of the threat of Charlie, which is a primary threat to new players. To prevent this from being abused - and to disallow Webber from being flat-out immune to Charlie - his Night Vision deactivates when insane. This goes well with the fact that Webber will usually lose more sanity than other characters due to day phases.

Not to call anyone out, but a *lot* of people here aren't thinking outside the box, and isn't that the whole point of reworks? Nightvision as a perk is really strong, but it doesn't fall out of line with the strength of other reworked characters. Almost every single reworked/DLC character has some really strong upsides, and negligible downsides (save for Warly and Wormwood.) These Webber ideas would put him in battle with the constant threat of insanity unless he retreats into the caves (which is also an unexplored opportunity for characters).

As of late, I have finally shed my elitist mindset and started looking at reworks based around how fun they'd be, instead of how OP they are, and I've been enjoying making these ideas far more than before. I suggest everyone here do the same, because that's obviously what Klei's doing to.

And to address concerns about the craftables, let me make a quick explanation:

The other spider dens: These spiders can't really be utilized by Webber currently without going out of your way to base where they are located. Even so, shattered spiders in particular don't really spawn in hordes like other spiders, so webber having craftable dens (which require materials from the island) allows him to use them to their full potential.

Webbing: We all need to stop judging mechanics based on how easy they are to grief with. That's how we get characters like pre-rework Willow and Woodie for half a decade. If someone wants to grief, all they need is 2 sticks and 2 grass. If a Webber's being a prick, just use a pitchfork.

Web Wall: While yes, this can be obsolete if Spider AI didn't target walls in general, this idea was made to make it so Webber could wall in his dens (so spiders don't wander too far away, possibly towards base), but also doesn't give non-Webbers an option to just wall in a spider den and abuse it more so than it already is.

Silk Wrap: tbh, this was really added as another use for silk, since Webber has TOO MUCH of it after mid-game. On another hand, it provides decent healing at the cost of easy-to-get spider drops and a single papyrus. Yes, a salve is as easy to get, but Webber's playstyle easily accommodates for this item.

While i'm not sure what or how exactly Webber should be reworked, i would like it to focus on his relationships/interactions with Spiders. Webber was my first main, for a long time, mainly for the allure of not having to worry about spiders being aggressive toward me. I thought this helped farming for a long time, but after trying out a few other characters (i'm currently settled on WX) I feel that at best Webber is on par with everyone else in terms of farming spider mats, but honestly I feel everyone else is BETTER at farming spider mats.

Spider wars cost monster meat, so if MM is an item you are seeking you have a loss there while gathering it. If silk is what you need, your best bet is to take down a nest. While you can do this once ALL the spiders have left the nest at dusk/night without drawing aggro, it leaves a bunch of loose spiders during the day. While these can be cleaned up with little worry, overall it feels a bit sloppy to me, and seems a bit more time consuming than with other characters.

With at most 3 traps at a time, during the day, every other character can simply touch the webbing around a nest, draw out 1 round of spiders, trap them right by the nest, repeat 2 more times (maybe 1 more time for a single stack nest, I cant remember as I dont farm single stacks anymore), then run up to the nest, drop the 3 traps at the doorstep, strike the nest 1 time to draw out the single remaining warrior (every now and then there may be 2 warriors, but with 3 traps its a non issue) and once he is trapped proceed to take down the nest. This nets you 10-11 spiders worth of loot, plus the loot from the nest, which if it's 3 stacked is 6 or 7 silk plus an egg. During longer days it's easy to take at least 4 nests, if not 6 or more if everything goes smoothly. And for 4-6 nests you are looking at a cost of maybe around 16 or so traps, as opposed to continuously spending MM and waiting for other entities to do what you can accomplish quicker/more efficiently.

Aside from that, there are the Rockland/Spider Nest set pieces, but after spending quite a bit of time farming these myself I feel they are no where near as efficient as the above mentioned method, especially with short dusk/night times.

The only real big benefits I see with Webber atm is the ability to setup shop in a mass of spider nests, but the same level of protection can be provided by basing close to Beefalo herds. The MM provided by mass spider farming is no where near as helpful alone as it is in conjunction with other food sources, and for all that you can obtain similar food items just as easy and just as efficiently.

The ability to craft nests is kinda meh. If you get a map with few nests it could be helpful, but building nests is an expensive endeavor, so if you have enough nests it is better to simply farm T3 nests than to try and construct them.

These are of course simply opinions, and like I said I'm not sure of the direction a Webber rework should take, but I think the key is his interaction with Spiders. As it stands now it doesnt feel very helpful in the long run, especially late game as Canis pointed out.

2 minutes ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

...but honestly I feel everyone else is BETTER at farming spider mats.

Spider wars cost monster meat, so if MM is an item you are seeking you have a loss there while gathering it. If silk is what you need, your best bet is to take down a nest. While you can do this once ALL the spiders have left the nest at dusk/night without drawing aggro, it leaves a bunch of loose spiders during the day. While these can be cleaned up with little worry, overall it feels a bit sloppy to me, and seems a bit more time consuming than with other characters.

This is false.

After a single night of farming with a decent-sized farm (6+ dens) then Webber can easily get a stack of monster meat and a lot more than 6 silk.

6 minutes ago, Canis said:

This is false.

After a single night of farming with a decent-sized farm (6+ dens) then Webber can easily get a stack of monster meat and a lot more than 6 silk.

6 silk refers to the amount of silk when taking down a 3 stack nest. On a long day, taking 6 T3 nests nets you 60 is spiders worth of loot, plus 36 silk from the nests alone, plus 6 eggs.

If we figure the low end and say 4 T3 nests, which would be more common since its harder to find 6 nests that close together, you are looking at 40 spiders worth of loot plus 24 silk from the nests alone, plus 4 eggs. All for the cost of some spears and maybe 15 to 20 traps depending on the amount of nests. That is generally more than 1 stack of MM and pretty close to a stack of silk.

Without spending MM and with no idle time waiting for spider fights to play out.

And thats 1 day of work.

10 minutes ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

6 silk refers to the amount of silk when taking down a 3 stack nest. On a long day, taking 6 T3 nests nets you 60 is spiders worth of loot, plus 36 silk from the nests alone, plus 6 eggs.

If we figure the low end and say 4 T3 nests, which would be more common since its harder to find 6 nests that close together, you are looking at 40 spiders worth of loot plus 24 silk from the nests alone, plus 4 eggs. All for the cost of some spears and maybe 15 to 20 traps depending on the amount of nests. That is generally more than 1 stack of MM and pretty close to a stack of silk.

Without spending MM and with no idle time waiting for spider fights to play out.

And thats 1 day of work.

But why would you need that much silk? Monster Meat is arguably more valuable, generally. Webber's spider farming will provide more than enough silk for whatever he/the base needs to use it for.

Anyway, onto the actual rework idea... it's a no from me as well.

The inverted sanity idea completely ignores that it's the boy who is being driven insane by the horrors of the Constant (which is precisely why Webber has only 100 sanity). I get that his perks should probably focus on the spider half, since I doubt being a little kid brings much to the table in a survival situation, but this straight up goes against the core concept of the character.

And the night vision is just not gonna happen and we all know it. If it was, Wurt would already have it, cause her quotes clearly state she can see in the darkness. And Wurt is an actual merm, whereas Webber is a kid on the inside and his kid eyes definitely can't see in the dark.

As for the craftables: Shattered Spiders are probably worse than normal spiders due to their inaccuracy and Silk Wrap is literally just a more expensive Healing Salve. The rest are kinda nice and I'm not opposed to them, but I feel they're kinda missing the point? Webber already has a very strong focus (spiders) in terms of theme/gameplay. He doesn't need five additional perks, he needs his core perk to be improved so that it is, at least, on par with the alternatives (pigs, bunnymen, merms, etc).

So, if I may offer a counter-proposal of sorts, I think the first step to reworking Webber is to rework the spiders to make them a good alternative to the followers Webber misses out on due to his being a monster (this is not meant to be an exhaustive list):

• A way to make them come out of their nests during the day. You can attack the nest sure, but no one wants that. Frankly, they can just remove the "summon spiders when stepping on webbing" thing from Webber, cause even if they do come out, they are not an issue for him.
  • Every other major follower has a sanity aura of about 25 sanity/minute. Of course, spider followers tend to come in much greater numbers, so we can't give each spider a +25 sanity/minute aura. But what we could have Webber gain a sanity regen effect based on how many befriended spiders he had within a certain radius (obviously, it would have a reasonable upper limit and would need to take into account that spiders don't keep their distance from Webber, unlike other followers).
  • Give spiders some functionality outside of combat. Pigs can chop, Merms can chop and mine. Spiders are a tad small and squishy to do any of those, but it just so happens that we're missing a character with a quick-harvesting perk. So give spiders the ability to harvest grass, twigs, berries, etc. and maybe basic resources from the floor and bring them to Webber. Each spider could have an inventory of, say, 4 slots that do not allow item stacking and when it's full, so they "bite" stuff off the floor (exactly like eyeplants do) and once full bring the stuff to Webber (adding it straight into his inventory). (There are some details to iron out, for sure, but we'll cross that bridge when and if we come to it.)
  • Spiders could also definitely use some sort of buff in combat, cause their greater numbers don't mean anything if they die 2 seconds into any fight where you might want to have help. Alas, I'm drawing a bit of a blank here.
  • Maybe make them not eat things off the floor while befriended. The other followers do it too, but spiders always come in much bigger numbers, which makes them a bigger danger to your hard earned loot.

In addition, there's one Quality of Life tweak that I'm dying to see for Webber: let him eat raw meats without a sanity penalty. If he can stomach monster meat raw, he should be able to stomach the other meats as well. It's not like it's hard to pull out a campfire and cook the meat anyway, so at least this way he'd be more consistent. And maybe a bit of a buff to monster jerky for him? (say, 25% more hunger).

And I agree civil wars with spiders should remain untouched, because history shows that these forums would not last a day if they were removed. :D

13 minutes ago, Canis said:

But why would you need that much silk? Monster Meat is arguably more valuable, generally. Webber's spider farming will provide more than enough silk for whatever he/the base needs to use it for.

Between Bug Nets and Fishing Rods and Sewing Kits and Tents and Lean-Tos and BeeHats and whatever else i'm forgetting silk is one of the higher demand mats in the game imo. Granted thats partially due to my play style, but even still, silk can get used up pretty quick. While I don't TRY and sit on 13-14 stacks of silk between up top and cave base, I do try and remove all T3 nests before they queen out, the result is enough web for a few in game years, but also the ability to relocate the nests where I see fit. And after a few years the bunny man/spider farm is erected, another drawback for Webber.

Granted, this negates a constant flow of MM for a time, however moles more than make up for this, again without a MM cost.

Besides, any other character can still farm spiders more efficiently imo with no MM cost and during day and without masses of spiders moving back and forth.

Don't get me wrong, I love Webber, I just feel, at this point, his "main draw" is done better by literally anyone else.

1 hour ago, Electroely said:

It isn't exactly clear how his relationship with the spider works exactly, but it's not that he eats monster meat or stays with spiders against his will. We've seen that he can interact with others just fine (he doesn't even mention anything about wanting to eat them, like a spider would want to do). There's a lot of room for interpretation, so it's hard to say who's right and who's not, so I'll just mention my point of view on the matter:

I think he's been with the spider for a long time, as of the events of DST. He's probably went through a lot with it. He might've had to (or wanted to, or was told by the spider to) try monster meat and found out it's not that bad. It's possible that he never even saw monster meat before being with the spider, hence why he doesn't understand why others hate it so much. It's not like he loves it, though:
        Monster Meat: "Smells foul."
        Dried Monster Meat: "It's really chewy."
I think he's just never had a strongly negative opinion of monster meat, so he doesn't hate it now that he can stomach it well.

And about hanging out with spiders, I think it's a bit of a similar thing, except he's clearly had experience with spiders before he was eaten by one (since, well, he was eaten by one). But my interpretation is that enough time has passed for him to get used to spiders as friends.

Either way, I don't think eating monster meat or hanging out with spiders is something he's FORCED to do.

I wanted to Quote you on this:

So your saying that the Spider half in him talks to the Boy half in him and convinced him that Monster Meat is OKAY to eat?

Or that Spiders are his Friends??

How the heck is that any different from what I was saying! LoL The Spiders Talking to him Influencing his Decision making process.

However.. I can say with absolute certainty that I (Personally) wouldn’t ever want to be friends with the thing that Ate me and took me away from my Family.

———————————

With that said it is clear to me that my Envisioning Of a Webber Rework and The Communities Envisioning Of a Webber Rework are completely opposite of one another.

Some Of you want Webber to focus more on Awesome Spider like abilities.

Some Of you want a Webber to focus more on his boring Boy Farmer abilities.

No one can come to an Agreement on a Middle ground so my final thoughts are this-

Oh boy poor Webber is Screwed.. and I hope Klei seriously takes their time before getting around to a Webber Refresh.

The whole nightvision thing will basically just make him into every "Look i made my character in DST" mod
(I swear every single one either emits light or just has permanent moggles at night)

Also it takes away one of the main mechanics of the game that makes it the slightest bit difficult

3 minutes ago, DarkPulse91 said:

The whole nightvision thing will basically just make him into every "Look i made my character in DST" mod
(I swear every single one either emits light or just has permanent moggles at night)

Also it takes away one of the main mechanics of the game that makes it the slightest bit difficult

Thoroughly read the OP, thanks.

Also people are acting like he has unlimited nightvision when
A) It deactivates when insane, which will become REALLY easy to unintentionally slip into early game. This also prevents players from utilizing night vision when getting nightmare fuel and stuff.
B) It has a limited range.

To me Webber has the duality to contend with.  A balance, if you will, between the human and monster side.

Since monster meat is his bread and butter, I could see having him eat it shifts him to being more monster than human whereas human food would shift towards being the Webber as we have him today.  This is sort of lore friendly now with Woodie's idols and such.

Could dynamically shift his maximum sanity levels down the more monster he is and buffing stats like damage and damage reduction, for example, while letting him craft his new web-based inventions only while he's closer to his human self; humans make inventions, monsters use their natural abilities granted by their physique.

Both states would let him benefit the team, from monster being more of a fighter and the human being an item producer.

Since character-specific craft stuff can be seen as a "choose once and then choose a real character later with the portal" thing, I'd advise any sort of craftable be useful but at the same time disposable.  Take the bundling wrap idea for example, since it came from Webber it would thus be a one time use wrap.

56 minutes ago, CarlZalph said:

human being an item producer

2 hours ago, QuartzBeam said:

So give spiders the ability to harvest grass, twigs, berries, etc. and maybe basic resources from the floor and bring them to Webber.

Remember when he could harvest stuff instantly in the gorge? That was amazing.

2 hours ago, DarkPulse91 said:

I haven't seen many character like that, most of them just run faster or things like that

Even if it was the case being overused in workshop is not relevant, People use the "i have seen it in workshop lol" here like if all ideas by the comunnitty are bad and that Klei ever implementing something similar would be shameful or something..

Who dies by Darkness and who has problems with it btw?

21 minutes ago, Mr. Despair said:

Who dies by Darkness and who has problems with it btw?

Would you like a Screenshot of the past 6 or so Xbox One Servers I’ve been in?

It happens to people quite a lot, New Players, Even Experienced players who just weren't prepared can fall victim to dying in Darkness

so to say Who dies in darkness or has problems with it is really just an Elitists way of looking at it.

But @Canis Suggestion for Webber to see in the Dark was also countered by him also suggesting Impaired or Blinding vision during day light.

I can see where he is coming from with this suggestion because if you stand around observing Real Spiders they don’t come out of their Nests until Dusk/Night. AND they cower in Fear near Fires or Sunlight.

Yes it’s a large change if it was to ever happen to Webber, but absolutely none of you can lie and say we already have ANY character in the game who benefits from advantages at night, and disadvantages during Daylight.

Opening: 

A small light aura at low sanities would not be that powerful. It's just not; there are a billion ways to get a mobile light aura (well actually like 4ish), and they are all pretty easy to maintain and easy to get COUGH* COUGH* lanterns (If you play on a surface only world, that is your own doing and shouldn't dictate the balance of a character/item just wanted to clarify JIK).

Also infinite night vision isn't a modded idea, in fact there used to be a character who did exactly this. Woodie....

Why small "infinite" light isn't OP:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before the rework, you could basically map out the entire caves with free moggles for an unlimited amount of time without ever being fed.

The nightmares could be unloaded, outrun, and gnawed from excess insanity without needing to ever be fed. So, staying a beaver forever with night vision forever was never an issue.

My point behind this is Woodie possessed this "OP" perk yet he was considered one of the most underpowered characters in the game. Therefore perma-light at sanity above 15 cannot be an overpowered perk especially since it gives you a light radius barely bigger than a thermal stone. This change appears almost completely QOL and not game-breaking what-so-ever.

Why nullifying or partially nullifying mechanics is inherent to fun and usually good perks:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the light change nullifying one aspect of the game, did you know that WX's overcharge prevents him from freezing? Or that Maxwell's minions prevent tool durability loss? Or that Wortox's souls prevent the need of healing items? My point is that character perks are made to nullify (or partially nullify in this case [it's only active at higher sanity]) existing mechanics and trade them for other mechanics or stats such as half health, half benefits, damage from rain. Etc.

My only issue with this is that it feels like Webber has a mediocre debuff, but at least more interactive than Woodie's.

Ideas to contribute to the thread:

I will part with a contribution though, a small perk to throw in the bundle, maybe for a different character if not for this one:

Webber should be able to have "quick pick" basically on at all times. Meaning he does the quicker animation when interacting with anything that requires work such as picking grass, harvesting crops, upgrading spider dens, maybe even using healing items. 

Possible Reasonings:

1. He has a bunch of spider legs and can use them to accomplish the task faster.

2. His time amongst the spiders has benefited him with better dexterity.

Been trying to think of some changes for Webber while at work today. 

I don't envy the Devs.

I wouldn't be against the night vision mechanic as @Canis proposed as long as it was implemented properly. I'm on board with the webbed flooring as well, as this could probably end up playing into various farming setups in one way or another. I'd agree with Webber being able to construct the other various spider nest types as well, honestly I kinda felt this should have already been in game.

My only problem with cave specific stuff is from what i've understood a bunch of PC players don't run caves in their worlds due to heavy system requirements? If this is indeed the case i'd hate to a see a character rework involve stuff that some may not be able to access. Aside from that a "cave character" would be cool, and Webber would be the ideal character for that role.

Anyway, the only substantial thing I could come up with personally involves Webbers spider-ness and bug type mobs. Webber could be given a short ranged web "attack" which could let you capture Bees, Butterflies, Fireflys, and Moths without the need for a Bug Net. It would give Webber another role from a team play perspective outside of Monster Meat acquisition, possibly making him a go to character in regards to Bee farming/Hive construction. The web "attack" would not function against any other mobs, and wouldn't actually do any damage.

The Webbed Flooring could also possibly be used as a bird trap, simply by dropping seeds on the flooring. Birds would be unable to escape its grip, at least temporarily, letting you farm birds at some level without Bird Traps.

Other than that, I think Webber needs some kind of interaction with Spider Queens. While i'm not calling for Spider Queens as mounts (im not sure how I feel about that idea), I think there is a missed opportunity there. Maybe some kind of Pig King function? Maybe some kind of Wurt/Merm King type function that strengthens spiders in some way? I'm not sure what exactly should be done, but I do feel the "big thing" of a Webber rework should involve the Spider Queen.

Which is why I pointed out

3 hours ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

Maybe some kind of Pig King function? Maybe some kind of Wurt/Merm King type function? I'm not sure what exactly should be done

I'm well aware multiple Spider Queens can exist at once. Having multiple Spider Queens doesn't negate the ability to involve them in some kind of Webber rework.

@Canis can't wait to see a thread for my Wilbur (by you, of course).

P/s: I can made a thread but it's not as good as you do.

I have some ideas, incase you interested in.

Spoiler
On 2/9/2020 at 3:23 PM, Psychomaniac said:

Actually, i already made a comment (not a Thread) about Wilbur back then, something like:

WILBUR’S REWORK

Old perk to keep: Can run, throw poop

New perk to add:

1-    Poop when eat fruit

2-    Jump into Trees, harvest fruits on trees, hide from agro mobs, can dodge attack like Wheeler (monkey is fast so can dodge)

3-    Can now talk simple word about coming event, not much but still can (like Caesar in Planet of the Apes series)

4-    Can plant Banana on the surface, gain sanity when eat banana.

5-    Loose sanity when hungry (like normal animal), gain sanity when throw poop at other, those was thrown at loose sanity.

6-    All kind of ape don’t agro on Wilbur, can craft Prime Ape Hut which will spawn Prime Ape which will follow and stay close to him with a price (1 banana each). They will mimic whatever Wilbur do, like harvest stuff, throw poop (at the same target), pick stuff on the ground and then throw it back at Wilbur at dawn or right before get back to their hut

7-    Turn in to Oozaru (Great ape in Dragonball) when full moon, when in this form Wilbur can do Bearger's slam (help bring down multiple trees), smash rocks and demolish structures like one hit, tank boss…

image.png.ad8d8fd3110f00159e51c1abe91fc73d.png

Archived