[concept] IRL tournaments?

Watching Emplemon's new video, I have to wonder: How would Single player and Together work in a tournament?

Would it be killing all the bosses in a timed manner? Actual pvp mode? What do you guys think will cause Don't Starve to finally have a tournament with a IRL audience that people would even want to see on television and streaming?

9 minutes ago, Handsome_Jack said:

It would be in the top 10 ways on how to fall asleep fastest cause there is nothing entertaining to watch in dont starve unlike games like smash bros lol

I agree - DS and DST are not games that I watch other people play.  I only load up streams when there is a twitch drop.  Sry klei its true.  DST isn't a spectator sport, its a fun game to join in and play.  I don't think there is a way to make it a tournament game, although I think speed runs are a viable forms of competition.

6 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

I agree - DS and DST are not games that I watch other people play.  I only load up streams when there is a twitch drop.  Sry klei its true.  DST isn't a spectator sport, its a fun game to join in and play.  I don't think there is a way to make it a tournament game, although I think speed runs are a viable forms of competition.

I have watched fun tournament by @QrChuck , there were couple of teams, 3 players each, Winona,Wortox and Wilson, in a round world with ocean in the middle, after gathering some materials they were doing ship battle/fighting on boats.

1 minute ago, reverentsatyr said:

The only way I would actually be interested in watching is if there was some crazy new stuff introduced, like massing and advanced control of giant pig armies or something IDK.

Can you imagine Klei hosting real life tournaments as a way to test new features?

9 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Can you imagine Klei hosting real life tournaments as a way to test new features?

No, because competition is built around an established design pushed to the extreme, aswell as depth that allow people to willingly spend thousands of hours improving on it.

Forge was (and most likely will always be) the closest thing to competitive in DS, and even then that's very far fetched.

Also consider that videogame leagues are always designed around PvP. There is nothing interesting about PvE.

So the Forge was an area surrounded by Magma rivers right?

Well.. SMITE once had a limited time last team standing game mode where you fought on a round circular battleground to push the other team off into the lava or kill them.

DST could probably easily do something like that as an In-Game Mini-Game, Similar to how giving the Pig King a Championship Belt now lets you get Smacked around by a few pigs carrying signs. Obviously Limited Weapons but those Signs those pigs Smack me with would be PERFECT for trying to force players off the battleground into Lava.

Im calling it right now 2020, the year fun PvE and PVP mini-Games are added into DST.

2 hours ago, ButterStuffed said:

If they added a TTT gamemode maybe it could be done.

Although it would have to simplify the game a significant amount to reduce a single match to like 20 minutes instead of the like 10 hours to complete a full year.

What's a TTT mode? But I agree, the length and the pace of the game is the biggest obstacle between it having observable tournaments. Forge and Gorge were the closest things to this idea, which were still tediously lengthy in certain aspects but very fun and limited time so it created the competitive fervor. 

One thing that is done in some discord groups like Diverse Survivors is little event competitions like which team can herd the highest number of koelephants in this given time kind of stuff. perhaps the game could expand upon them if it wanted.

SOMEONE had an idea for a competitive gorge event, where two teams of three either compete to escape fastest or to get a higher tournament score, with there being power ups you can buy to boost your team or harm the opposing team, which I think could be a good spectator event, event if it was just a live stream not an irl event.  The problem is that most games that have esports are games about one team/player directly fighting another team/player, and not just who can collect resources better or who can speedrun faster, and right now the only direct pvp they have is pvp, which pvp is uh, ok.  So I feel like for this idea to work either a new mode would need to be added or a new event *cough cough cancelled event number three cough cough* .

1 hour ago, cantbeatdaboss said:

SOMEONE had an idea for a competitive gorge event, where two teams of three either compete to escape fastest or to get a higher tournament score, with there being power ups you can buy to boost your team or harm the opposing team, which I think could be a good spectator event, event if it was just a live stream not an irl event.  The problem is that most games that have esports are games about one team/player directly fighting another team/player, and not just who can collect resources better or who can speedrun faster, and right now the only direct pvp they have is pvp, which pvp is uh, ok.  So I feel like for this idea to work either a new mode would need to be added or a new event *cough cough cancelled event number three cough cough* .

You really gonna do me like that nether. :pensive:

Personally, I would like to create a PVP server where 2 islands are generated on the server, then players randomly spawn on these 2 islands and join one of the teams. The goal is to sail to another island with your team and capture the flag or destroy another team's base. 

4 hours ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

You could run boat races. 2 man teams navigating through Sea Stacks and Salt Formations. Track could be marked using anchored boats.

You mean this: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/dontstarvetogetherheroes/announcements/detail/3585362898510840452 ?

9 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

What's a TTT mode? 

It stands for "Trouble in Terrorist Town", a gamemode made for and popularized by Garry's Mod. There's a large team of innocents who doesn't know anybody's role, and a smaller team Terrorists who know who each other are. The innocents have one person as a detective who can identify causes of death by examining corpses and such, and also usually spawns with a gun, showing that they're obviously not a terrorist and confirmed to be good. The game ends when one team successfully kills the other.

That's what I remember, anyway.

9 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

What's a TTT mode? But I agree, the length and the pace of the game is the biggest obstacle between it having observable tournaments. Forge and Gorge were the closest things to this idea, which were still tediously lengthy in certain aspects but very fun and limited time so it created the competitive fervor. 

One thing that is done in some discord groups like Diverse Survivors is little event competitions like which team can herd the highest number of koelephants in this given time kind of stuff. perhaps the game could expand upon them if it wanted.

Trouble in Terrorist Town

Its a thing I think was started in Gmod where there are several regular players and only one randomly selected traitor who’s goal is to kill everyone in some way or another.

The thing that makes it interesting is nobody but the traitor knows who the traitor is.

Just now, ButterStuffed said:

Trouble in Terrorist Town

Its a thing I think was started in Gmod where there are several regular players and only one randomly selected traitor who’s goal is to kill everyone in some way or another.

The thing that makes it interesting is nobody but the traitor knows who the traitor is.

hah, ninja'd.

i'd love something involving competitive gameplay, but anything i say would probably be shared by a lot of people

every time i go on a server advertizing chaos or raiding, they somehow always "devolve" to co-operative, everyone signs a treaty and lives in one base and before you know it, they all forget about the fact pvp except for that one time i accidentally hit that wormwood.

i would love something that could FORCE actual conflict like that, maybe just 'cause i'm bored of singing Kumbaya on most pvp enabled servers

The PVP in DST really isn’t something I care At ALL to play.. but PVP MINI-GAMES mixed with PVE Content to fill in all empty slots now THAT is what DST needs.

here I will provide a few Examples starting with the current event year of the Carrat you can choose to race solo against Charlie’s Rats, or you can race another players Carrat WITHOUT Charlie’s Carrats involved- this needs to be changed so that Charlie’s Rats still enter the race regardless of how many players are involved. Because Currently we all opt to “Take Turns” Racing Charlie Rats.

Next year has been confirmed to be the Year Of the Ox or in DST’s Case.. Year of The Beefalo, the closest thing we are going to have to an Ox, @JoeW Made a Joke comment in another thread about how next years event will be racing Beefalo but just before you reach the finish line a Charlie Rat leaps off your Beefalo and Ninja’s away first place.

I had another Idea for Year Of the Beefalo though- Harkening all the way back to old school games like Destruction Derby and Inspired by Pokémon. 

A Battle Arena, similar to a jousting match, but instead of a Health Bar on your Beefalo you’d have a Unconcious-ness bar which displays how close your Beefalo is to being KO’d The objective of this mode is to be the last Beefalo standing.. you can fight other players Beefalo or you can fight Beefalo VS Rooks. Enemy A.I. How to play- Charge around on your mighty Beefalo ramming into other Beefalo/Rooks damaging them till their KO’d.

After that.. the Pig Kings mini game where you can now get smacked onto your butt by a giant sign makes me wish that there was a round circular battle arena surrounded by Lava and the Objective is to smack everyone else off into the Lava. But add in some Pigmen for even more chaos.

The last two PVP/PVE mode ideas I had aren’t as thought out but..

Boats with Cannons for naval Warfare.. (maybe with other players or PVE Savage Pirate Mobs)

And Boat Checkpoint collecting.

Players can now craft two new types of structures, a Colored Flag to place upon their Boats, and a Bouy out in the water, after all Bouys have been placed players can race to collect them, a Bouy that is passed by a flag color will light up in the color of that flag.. the Player or Team Who collects the most Bouys wins.

like I said.. not the best ideas.. but they’re something at least.

Next Trade Inn-Mini-Games are strictly Single Player Mini-Games so I would love to see a lot more of those Maybe next they can add sort of a “Crane Grab Machine?”

The TL:DR don’t restrict PVP Content down to just being against other players.. PVE Mixed with PVP ensures that Multiplayer & Solo-Players alike can enjoy the content.

Archived