Maxwell, the Puppet Master! [Rework Concept/Idea Dump]

*Disclaimer: I don't main Maxwell, I'm sure those who do could provide better ideas than I, I'm just coming up with ideas based on lore.

Who is Maxwell?

Maxwell was the main antagonist of the series up until Charlie's reign over the throne. Since then, he has become acquainted with those he wronged, and is working alongside the other survivors to survive and possibly save Charlie. Before the constant, he was a man, a magician, known by the name William Carter. After travesty and tragedy, he was presumed dead. He later resurfaced as a new man, one who heavily relies on the dark tome, called the Codex Umbra. A book that, according to Wortox, Maxwell doesn't know how to use properly, yet.

What can he currently do?

As of now, the only use the Codex Umbra provides is as a portable station for summoning shadow workers. Nothing more, nothing less. Simple shadows doing menial tasks. They are useful in their own rights, giving Maxwell the role of Gatherer. He can also summon shadow duelists, who seem to do an adequate job at fighting and kiting, but can be easily overwhelmed without help.

What do I propose?

I feel as though it would make sense lorewise and gameplay wise if Maxwell was more inclined to use magic and depended on his Codex Umbra moreso than he does now. 

(Versatile Shadows) - This is a quality of life for Maxwell's shadow clones. The idea is, when Maxwell summons a shadow, it starts unequipped, and can be given a tool to use. For example, being able to give a shadow an axe to become a shadow logger, when the task is done, or when tree chopping is no longer desired, the axe can be taken from the shadow with a right click. This would stop shadow loggers from chopping any small tree farms near base that haven't grown fully, and gives his shadows more versatility.

This idea was inspired by his Don't Starve Together steam trading card, where his shadow appears to not be holding anything.

image.png.4350802ff8a2a994cef917ed15ccc659.png

(More Magic!) - This was an idea I came up with in the shower, if Maxwell was on the throne for so long, why can't he do more? His vignette describes that the nightmare throne altered him in ways that are not fully understood. This idea consists of consuming nightmare fuel through the use of the Codex Umbra to manifest offensive magic attacks.

image.png.23e4c5b205494872764db71dbfd8554e.png

Shadow Meter

image.png.f50f7f1563acc3573c6473dc96689b97.png

*Capped at 100 maximum.

*The Codex Umbra becomes equippable. (Maxwell only)

*Equipping the Codex Umbra displays a new meter near your stats.

*The Shadow Meter can be refilled by using the Codex Umbra to consume nightmare fuel.

*Using offensive magic drains the Shadow Meter.

*Low Shadow Meter makes Maxwell suffer from withdrawal. (Can't use spells, reduced damage with melee weapons)

*Oversupplying the Codex Umbra with nightmare fuel will cause it to overcharge. (Unsure what negative effects to include)

*Summoning minions caps the Shadow Meter until they are dispelled.

*Drains overtime(?)

Spell Examples

Shadow Poolsummons a pool of shadow hands that slows any hostile creature that walks in it.

image.png.839832fb1438c6c139c5573ee586651b.png

Resurrection: corpses near Maxwell don't vanish right away, at the cost of some of the shadow meter, he can resurrect basic mobs as temporary allies. For each temporary companion, the shadow meter gets capped. (This is to prevent one Maxwell from having an entire nation as an army.)

image.png.53d4763bd9bec7d1084aba336f6b2bfb.png

image.png.91599fcc4b2478e8ae476e7c1579613f.png

image.png.527a0c6567fbe8f7a8551289db9ff8fe.png

image.png.14f37ec357ae431f0c69779ea29b642f.png

(note: shadow spiders, pigs, etc aren't treated the same by their living counterparts, so you wouldn't be able to start a spider war with shadow spiders.)

Shadow Duelist (?): Inspired by his unique characteristic in the Forge, Maxwell could use Shadow Duelists in a similar fashion to the Elite Pigs attack when using a gold coin. However, I was thinking of making it so you'd instead give weapons to an unarmed shadow clone, and the better the weapon, the more damage output is has.

I'd like to hear everyone else's ideas for potential spells the Codex Umbra could perform, I was just spit balling the first things that came to mind. :wilson_dorky:

Summary

* Less focus on resource gathering. 

* Lore/character themed rework, keeping the title of "Puppet Master" (I guess I made him into some sort of necromancer, huh? :wilson_curious:)

wait is the shadow meter too similar to Woodie's old log meter

Thanks for reading, feel free to share your ideas and criticize mine! Take care. :wilson_love: 

2 hours ago, Axelocke said:
Spoiler

Resurrection: corpses near Maxwell don't vanish right away, at the cost of some of the shadow meter, he can resurrect basic mobs as temporary allies. For each temporary companion, the shadow meter gets capped. (This is to prevent one Maxwell from having an entire nation as an army.)

@Canis

2 hours ago, Axelocke said:

...he can resurrect basic mobs as temporary allies...

Hey, wait a minute-

Fr, I love these ideas, a lot. Maybe Maxwell could have a passive perk that negates sanity drain from magic items and uses half as much durability per use. Beyond making some magic items actually considerable for use, this could extend to something like the Panflute, which is a critical item for bossfights like dfly and isn't renewable without the green staff.

If this effect extends to the Dark Sword and Night Armor, that could change Maxwell's playstyle considerably. He'd lose his primary way to go and stay insane, BUT the Dark Sword gets an effective 200 durability and the Night Armor stops being a paperweight.

Also, who wouldn't like the magic tab to receive more love?

Spoiler

Make the Night Light automatically fuel itself without the need of fuel when a Maxwell is near, thanks.

These are actually REALLY good ideas!

Normally character changes add something WAY off the scale of normal, but yours does seem like something Maxwell should be able to do!

Congrats! I hope @JoeW will read this post and realize how great this idea actually is!

Also, I REALLY like your drawings!

Especially the little frog with its tongue flopping on the ground :D 

I've never thinked about interacting directly with the shadows to swap tools and I think it's a great idea to solve the problems Max's shadows have at the moment !

The speel concept is neat as well, you've made a Maxwell main happy, my man ! :wilson_dorky:

The theme of all the reworks to my understanding is that the cast is adapting to the environment and becoming better and stronger. So even if Wortox believed Maxwell didn’t know what he was doing, he still could learn right? I love the ideas of versatile shadows and especially the shadow meter with spells! A fragile character with interesting combat/utility capabilities would be great to diversify the gang.

11 hours ago, Canis said:

-snip-

Ah, that's brilliant!

I love the idea of Maxwell being a natural at the magic in his world with the less durability loss on magic items, and your night light idea is simply gold! It'd be just like Maxwell's old self lighting torches from adventure mode!

All ya'll are bringing me to tears with your comments. Much love. :wilson_love:

On 09.01.2020 at 6:45 AM, Axelocke said:

*Disclaimer: I don't main Maxwell, I'm sure those who do could provide better ideas than I, I'm just coming up with ideas based on lore.

Who is Maxwell?

Maxwell was the main antagonist of the series up until Charlie's reign over the throne. Since then, he has become acquainted with those he wronged, and is working alongside the other survivors to survive and possibly save Charlie. Before the constant, he was a man, a magician, known by the name William Carter. After travesty and tragedy, he was presumed dead. He later resurfaced as a new man, one who heavily relies on the dark tome, called the Codex Umbra. A book that, according to Wortox, Maxwell doesn't know how to use properly, yet.

As of now, the only use the Codex Umbra provides is as a portable station for summoning shadow workers. Nothing more, nothing less. Simple shadows doing menial tasks. They are useful in their own rights, giving Maxwell the role of Gatherer. He can also summon shadow duelists, who seem to do an adequate job at fighting and kiting, but can be easily overwhelmed without help.

What do I propose?

I feel as though it would make sense lorewise and gameplay wise if Maxwell was more inclined to use magic and depended on his Codex Umbra moreso than he does now. 

(Versatile Shadows) - This is a quality of life for Maxwell's shadow clones. The idea is, when Maxwell summons a shadow, it starts unequipped, and can be given a tool to use. For example, being able to give a shadow an axe to become a shadow logger, when the task is done, or when tree chopping is no longer desired, the axe can be taken from the shadow with a right click. This would stop shadow loggers from chopping any small tree farms near base that haven't grown fully, and gives his shadows more versatility.

This idea was inspired by his Don't Starve Together steam trading card, where his shadow appears to not be holding anything.

(More Magic!) - This was an idea I came up with in the shower, if Maxwell was on the throne for so long, why can't he do more? His vignette describes that the nightmare throne altered him in ways that are not fully understood. This idea consists of consuming nightmare fuel through the use of the Codex Umbra to manifest offensive magic attacks.

Shadow Meter

*Capped at 100 maximum.

*The Shadow Meter can be refilled by using the Codex Umbra to consume nightmare fuel.

*Low Shadow Meter makes Maxwell suffer from withdrawal. (Can't use spells, reduced damage with melee weapons)

*Oversupplying the Codex Umbra with nightmare fuel will cause it to overcharge. (Unsure what negative effects to include)

*Drains overtime(?)

Spell Examples

Shadow Poolsummons a pool of shadow hands that slows any hostile creature that walks in it.

(note: shadow spiders, pigs, etc aren't treated the same by their living counterparts, so you wouldn't be able to start a spider war with shadow spiders.)

Shadow Duelist (?): Inspired by his unique characteristic in the Forge, Maxwell could use Shadow Duelists in a similar fashion to the Elite Pigs attack when using a gold coin. However, I was thinking of making it so you'd instead give weapons to an unarmed shadow clone, and the better the weapon, the more damage output is has.

I'd like to hear everyone else's ideas for potential spells the Codex Umbra could perform, I was just spit balling the first things that came to mind. :wilson_dorky:

Summary

* Lore/character themed rework, keeping the title of "Puppet Master" (I guess I made him into some sort of necromancer, huh? :wilson_curious:)

Thanks for reading, feel free to share your ideas and criticize mine! Take care. :wilson_love: 

You should become boss of klei

On 09.01.2020 at 6:45 AM, Axelocke said:

Who is Maxwell?

What do I propose?

Shadow Meter

*Capped at 100 maximum.

*Drains overtime(?)

Spell Examples

Summary

You should become boss of klei

Yeah, this is good, I always felt like instead of pre-determined puppets you should be able to summon an empty handed one and give it the tool to determine its work. Also shadow magic with the Codex would be very nice, since Maxwell could do something ranged and not risk destroying his fragile HP meter. If I had to be honest reducing Maxwell's Melee Damage by a certain % as a downside would be nice too, since it would put Maxwell in a Summoner Play-style where you have Minions do your work for you while you also support them at a distance. It gives Maxwell a different playstyle, with benefits of having workers whenever needed and not needing to be a pro at kiting and such just having minion support.

5 hours ago, Mooagain said:

This is a really nice concept! Love it.

But with the shadows, do their tools still have durability? and what tools/weapons can they use?

I guess I forgot to include that bit here!

As of now I was thinking of keeping the tools permanent, but overall the minions' workspeed would be nerfed, and could be restored to normal speed/better speed via the gold variants of tools.

I was just thinking that it might be a little too much if you had to mass produce tools every now and then, seemed like it could be too much of a hassle to craft a new axe every couple trees. :D

Archived