(Yeah, this topic is coming out of nowhere. Especially how late it is. But I just wanted to see modern reactions based on an old unimplemented feature)

So if people don't know about the item pronounced as "long pig", it is basically human meat, that was dropped whenever a character dies. It is still in the files of the game but is unimplemented

meat.thumb.png.512f36c4550d1ff9180d7afc50b0c45e.thumb.png.5df78d66820633174d882aec0d7723a9.png

Stats:

(so I'm gonna take these straight from the ds wiki to not get any info wrong.)

Long Pig, also called Human Meat, is a removed Food Item in Don't Starve Together, that used to be dropped by dying players. It stacked up to 20, took 6 Days to spoil, and when consumed, restored 12.5 Hunger, while reducing 20 Health and 33 Sanity. Long Pig no longer drops from players, as it was considered too macabre, although the assets still remained in the game.

Cooked Long Pig could be obtained by Cooking Long Pig on a Campfire or Fire Pit. It restored 18.75 Hunger, while reducing only 3 Health and 20 Sanity, and took 10 Days to spoil.

Long Pig Jerky could be produced by Drying Long Pig for 1 day. It took 20 Days to spoil, and when consumed, restored 25 Hunger, while reducing 3 Health and 15 Sanity.

Thoughts?:

Me personally would never want to imagine the characters eating each others dead corpse let alone watch a some creature start wasting away at a survivor, as it kind of puts a little too much realism into the game making it more scarier and traumatic. However, some people as I heard, actually do want long pig in the game. This topic is many years late, but I just wanted to see what people thing of it now. So, Thoughts on cannibalism?

the long pig items, at their current state, are too crappy to be useful: they always bring down stats at any state, you can't use them in a crockpot, and you can't trade them for gold

also, the way stats are changed between raw, cooked, and dried are inconsistent with other meat items

edit: enter this command into the console to try it out

HUMAN_MEAT_ENABLED = true

1st of all on moral side - tha'ts just a game. Noone cares if you are able to eat players or not. I mean: you kill and eat sentient animals that can talk: pigmen, bunnymen etc. Eating other players isn't much worse.

In game balance is more important than ethic questions. Problem with balance I have with long pig: you can easily farm it:

Step 1. Prepair health boosters and tell tale hearts.

Step 2. Player dies. Meat is collected. Player is ressurcted... repeat.

That's just doesn't make sense.

On the other hand, if that meat is useless - we don't need it. I mean currently it's even worse than monster meat. You won't eat it even if you have it.

13 minutes ago, SonicDen220 said:

This isn't new, but player cannibalism exists in DST, indirectly. You can kill a player, hammer their skeleton and turn their bones into soup as Warly.
latest?cb=20190725213512

Well your right about that, but there is other ways of getting the bone shards so it is indirect which is true. But long pig is directly straight from. The source even the source code saying "Human_Meat"

14 minutes ago, Superwolfkid said:

Well your right about that, but there is other ways of getting the bone shards so it is indirect which is true. But long pig is directly straight from. The source even the source code saying "Human_Meat"

Warly's creepy now.5805cbf24ff43_arielscreaminternally.thumb.png.616f4b9b0114b2780af8b15bb02f5d84.png

are people seriously pretending that long pig is good

it's pretty much inferior to monster meat in every way: it's harder to get, it's too crappy to eat in any form, you can't turn it into gold, and you can't use it as an ingredient

23 minutes ago, Well-met said:

It makes insecure teenagers cry.

is this thread gonna turn into another circlejerk about "pc police/sjws ruining games"

2 hours ago, Desblat said:

On the other hand, if that meat is useless - we don't need it. I mean currently it's even worse than monster meat. You won't eat it even if you have it.

I'm pretty sure the reason of it is to be a last attempt for food. You would never just normally eat it unless you have no choice. Your best friend is dead in cold winter, and there is no more food and supplies left to eat. The next thing you hesitate, but have no choice is to eat their corpse just to last a little bit longer to find a better source of food. Even with Wilson's quotes sounding like he's trying to ignore and cope with the fact its human flesh as he's already starving.

Letting it dry makes it not come from a human, right?

Flesh is flesh. Where do I draw the line?

Cannibalism would indeed be in-tune with a Burtonesque (plus some Lovecraftian elements) Survival game. In this line of thoughts Long Pig would be an ok supplement, even adding some element of wicked fun in pubs, where random people are dying over-and-over again (and would make for an extra layer of flavor - pun most intended - in PvP... if PvP was somewhat balanced and a thing in DST context). Would it be necessary? No. Would justify sacrificing DST's pegi12 rating for just 1 item (many probably find "problematic") that adds a minor and relative "fun" point? Obviously not. Aside these, I for one would be for its (re-?!)introduction to Constant's deep dark forests of doom shenanigans :encouragement:

PS: as per above comments, we already have Bones and Souls cannibalism.

2 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

I mean… It'd be cool if Klei introduced like an island full of previous survivors that just went wild and are now more animal than human canibalists.

No. God no.

That would be really out of place and way too bizarre and morbid for DST's current atmosphere and lore.

35 minutes ago, Superwolfkid said:

I'm pretty sure the reason of it is to be a last attempt for food. You would never just normally eat it unless you have no choice.

Raw long pig is 12.5 hunger and damage to both sanity and health. While plain seeds grestore 4,5 hunger.

How much time before starvation do you really win by eating long pork? You try to delay starving damage by getting 20 damage directly immediatly. Thus long pig just doesn't work us emergency food. If everything is so bad that you have to eat long pig - you are already dead.

Also why the hell human meat is such a poison? That doesn't make sense.

On the ethics yes that's sick, but tis all just a game. I mean, DST doesn't emmerse you really well, that's why I won't feel sick while eating my friend in game LOL. 

Also Wendy quote is cool.

Just now, fimmatek said:

That would be really out of place and way too bizarre and morbid for DST's current atmosphere and lore.

Keyword was 'current'.

2 hours ago, Jessie223 said:

it's pretty much inferior to monster meat in every way: it's harder to get, it's too crappy to eat in any form, you can't turn it into gold, and you can't use it as an ingredient

is this thread gonna turn into another circlejerk about "pc police/sjws ruining games"

I don't see anyone doing that. It's more about them themes and implications. Something, by coincidence, pc police/sjw take no issues meddling with.

Anyway, my take is like most here. Long pig's code means it just takes up space. No matter how neat the concept is, it's not like anyone starves in don't starve, and as mentioned even when starving the stats still doesn't seem appealing.

If Klei decided to add long pig, they probably would have modified it somehow.

Archived