2 hours ago, Zeklo said:

It definitely was in. You may not have been around at the time, but it was in at one point.

i managed to nab a key for the closed beta from someone giving it away (klei was giving away two keys for each person): players didn't drop long pig at that point

1 minute ago, maradyne said:

There was a long pig mod in use on a lot of servers early in the game's life; probably where the confusion comes from.

oh, well that makes things less confusing

it was uploaded in 2014 too: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=353933777

(it's so old that they listed it as rog-compatible, since rog wasn't the default and only option back then)

1 hour ago, Jessie223 said:

well, technically:
image.png.2757d851b1817e51b5061386c84d62de.png

Holy crap, I keep accidentally proving more and more that wilson cuts off his skin to make meat effigies XD. But in the original ds meat effigies costed 4 meat instead of -40hp, you can even see some normal meat on their.5dba443fc918e_images(38).jpeg.00bcac343c7152e1f5728bc6a9559402.jpeg

Guess they changed the recipe to not have anyone waste food, or people can make more effigies to avoid just using a booster shot instead.

2 hours ago, Jessie223 said:

i managed to nab a key for the closed beta from someone giving it away (klei was giving away two keys for each person): players didn't drop long pig at that point

You're correct. I dug around a bit more and the posts I found indicated it was removed just before beta. SethR made an official comment on the removal and everything.

Good memory.

On 10/29/2019 at 11:24 AM, Jessie223 said:

is this thread gonna turn into another circlejerk about "pc police/sjws ruining games"

There is a handful of people in this forum that will JUMP at any opportunity to turn threads into this (some of them in this one), and another handful that you can see are always liking or 'thanking' their posts. I wouldn't worry so much about them.

3 hours ago, Superwolfkid said:

5dba443fc918e_images(38).jpeg.00bcac343c7152e1f5728bc6a9559402.jpeg

still so strange that everyone's meat effigies still look like wilson

what i like to imagine is that wilson "invented" meat effigies and just taught the others how to build one (let's just ignore they can build it in DS too)

btw, it actually did reduce your max health in earlier versions of dst, and you could use booster shots against it, if i remember it right

2 hours ago, -Variant said:

Still a thing now, too. Unless I missed the context.

currently, building a meat effigy only reduces your health, not your max health

back then, it costed meat along with max health, which you had to replenish with booster shots

I think one major reason they removed it was due to the ratings, usually games get written up on their ratings for simply just showing one little detail of an adult thing. Remember when wilson cut himself before and added his blood in the serum to make the portal? They removed it in later versions of dont starve to a blue liquid. So maybe canabalism wouldn't be the best thing to put in the ratings since most of the things   this game has is silly and cartoony.

5 hours ago, Superwolfkid said:

ratings

Heh, was thinking about that recently due to the character age thing.
Terraria had a confirmed child NPC. They would poof into a smoke cloud rather than dying upon reaching 0 HP due to trying to avoid a higher rating.

Upon considering it more, I think the difference there is that the player is encouraged to want to kill that NPC with half its dialog...whereas in DST, without something like Long Pig being in the game, you're pretty encouraged to keep the player characters like Wendy and Webber alive.
I mean, in theory. The characters as they are. You might still want to kill the players sometimes.

then again terraria also has an entire world region made of body parts and gore so it's kind of silly that they had to worry about that

Archived