new member to the list of words being misspelled:

• sporechid --> sporechild
  • wheezewort --> wheezewart
  • gassy moo --> grassy moo
  • shove vole --> shove mole

Ehhh... I always internally refer to the as shovels :p

Don't be nitpicky Metallichyldra :p

4 hours ago, Grimgaw said:

Sovels can't swim either. I keep mine on an 'island'.

They can't fly either, I leave mine wild on a mafic platform. They can burrow all they like and go on the top and bottom of the tiles, but with ladder access only, they can't leave. You do have to watch for egg drops if they lay while on the bottom of the platform.

On 9/17/2019 at 1:53 AM, Enzium said:

Use Steel as building material for your Mechanized Airlock.

EDIT: I was wrong, I think. Shove voles don't seem to be able to burrow through steel airlock doors right now. But I swear they were a couple days ago. I have no idea what the deal is.

That currently doesn't work, but a pneumatic door made of ANYTHING works. It wasn't always like this, something changed along the way.

On 9/17/2019 at 1:52 AM, SchlauFuchs said:

As I understand, Shove voles can only be contained by metal tiles.

Shove voles can also be contained by obsidian tiles, currently.

On 18-9-2019 at 3:07 PM, Tonyroid said:

That currently doesn't work, but a pneumatic door made of ANYTHING works. It wasn't always like this, something changed along the way.

I've been using a mechanized airlock made out of steel for my base for almost a month now, when did that stop working?

9 hours ago, Enzium said:

I've been using a mechanized airlock made out of steel for my base for almost a month now, when did that stop working?

EDIT: I was wrong, I think. Shove voles don't seem to be able to burrow through steel airlock doors right now. But I swear they were a couple days ago. I have no idea what the deal is.

It has been this way at least for a couple weeks (either that or my game is horribly broken for some reason). The behavior in your game may be grandfathered in, it seems that they often do it that way so existing games don't get broken. Try putting a steel airlock door inside your stable to test it out. New construction often follows new rules.

I have a question. Do you find that voles sometimes escape through the airlock door? For a long time pneumatic doors prevented critters from sometimes escaping and other doors did not, but it seems like something they may have updated.

On 9/17/2019 at 3:52 AM, SchlauFuchs said:

Hi, 

As I understand, Shove voles can only be contained by metal tiles. I have seen them burrow through mechanized airlocks. How can I grant duplicants access to a shove vole farm without them escaping?

bvurn them in fire. all of them. everywhere:-p  i hate these things.

On 9/20/2019 at 6:37 PM, Tonyroid said:

Shove voles don't seem to be able to burrow through steel airlock doors right now. But I swear they were a couple days ago.

Airlocks are a physical barrier only when they're closed. When a dupe walks through critters ignore it for that moment, and it lets voles burrow (and dreckos crawl, etc) through it.

Don't bother with airlocks. A pneumatic door made from anything will stop all critters, including voles, as long as they're not set to the open position. Having them on auto, and letting your dupes traverse it is fine however, that's still a permanent barrier for critters.

On 9/21/2019 at 2:13 AM, Xaekai said:

All these vole wasters. Don't you like free meat?

Screenshot_20190921_020957.png

I build a shove vole pen the length of all my rocket silos to catch & process regolith. And a smaller one that looks like yours but only holds ~4 critters for breeding purposes.

It's the only food source I need. But for morale purposes I keep an equal batch of pacus, because surf and turf.

17 hours ago, Xaekai said:

Yeah, I built that pen when I got 3 shove vole eggs way early from a care package, hundreds of cycles before I breached the surface.

and if you're lucky you dont even need to go to the surface.

you might not even need to print the eggs.

i once saw a shove vole before breaching the surface.

i had not printed any shove vole eggs.

Archived