The more I think about it the more Woodies rework seems like a fundamental mess.

1 hour ago, Mack Swell said:

The rework wasn't too bad personally. Woodie can still gather faster than basically anyone, unless you're the kind of Maxwell to spam out loggers at all times, which quite frankly isn't super viable. The were-forms, at least in practice, are supposed to be either randomly activated or intentionally used when you need them, hence the point of the idols. You don't need them to last super long if you are actually trying to use them for either express purpose. Yes, some of them are very limited, as the goose cannot attack, the moose can't really run, and the beaver is, at least in my opinion, sort of pointless for most anything. However, nobody considered, apparently, that maybe that isnt the purpose of everything. The goose is highly useful early game, as you want as many people as humanly possible scouring the map for literally everything. Your army of scouts can map out the entire area in a few idols, depending on the number of scouts you have. Running faster than a runner beefalo is not laughing matter, you guys. Moose form is a bit under, yes, but you shouldn't just be using it all willy-nilly. You have to know when a situation is worth using near-dark sword damage. Of course, I on't think it can kite very well against tougher foes, so if anyone wants to get into the realm of fighting bosses as moose woodie, be my guest. The Beaver, however, does very similar things to normal Woodie, minus the free "shovel". Beaver form is as gathery as woodie gets, since it cuts on shovel and axe crafting, or even using lucy. Also, default Woodie, while he technically falls under the OP scale now as just a baseline, and you can easily nullify any were-based downsides via caves, he will is trumped by Wilson in insulation. Woodie has a significantly less insulation value than Wilson can acquire, which is Wilson's only upside as a character. Granted, this is highly nullified by crafting insulation items, but Wilson still needs less to survive winter. More treeguards is entirely pointless until later on, but when it kicks in it works out quite fancifully. Although, unless you are great at managing poison birchnut trees, be prepared to say goodbye to trail mix late-game. Plus, in my quite humble opinion, magic is unecessary to survival. The short, though, feels more like a fan animation over anything of value. This could be intentional, and most people aren't picking up on anything on purpose, but it feels a bit off that there is no real lore. Maybe Woodie will get his day sometime, but for now, we have nothing.

Overall, the rework is perfectly fine, makes Woodie a more useful character, but it feels like a Willow sort of thing, where the best upsides don't tie in to the main focus of a character.

You seem to be forgetting that using the idols costs 30 health and 20 sanity upfront, plus sanity over time, plus all your hunger.

This makes it atrocious for using goose to scout early game because when you turn back all your stats are lower and you aren’t able to gather anything.

If you think woodie is overall stronger than before you messed up your analysis.

1 minute ago, Pruinae said:

You're trying to put a band-aid on a broken arm, but I appreciate the effort

Personaly i only dislike 2 things.  1.The goose cant swim 2.The forms are to short or to weak. The later can be changed by "simple"

Spoiler

I have NO knowledge of programming im only guessing

patches or even mods and swimming also is in the realm of posibilitys. But comming up with the concepts of how it works and actualy building the mechanics into the games is something that apears to be underastimated by many.

20 hours ago, Ogrecakes said:

Even the animated short was underwhelming, no story, strange artstyle, and isnt representative of Woodies new playstyle.

That is a lie. While the animated short was clearly underwhelming in terms of lore, it does perfectly reflects all aspects of Woodie's playstyle.

I understand people's frustration, but there's no need to be over dramatic, or even brainless (spamming "fix woodie" is retarded).

Woodie's refresh is not a mess, it just needs a few tweaking to reach perfection. An awesome and hard work has been made, a few things still need to be done to work properly.

However, a week or two in beta branch before release woold have helped... :)

9 minutes ago, Petit Citron said:

That is a lie. While the animated short was clearly underwhelming in terms of lore, it does perfectly reflects all aspects of Woodie's playstyle.

I understand people's frustration, but there's no need to be over dramatic, or even brainless (spamming "fix woodie" is retarded).

Woodie's refresh is not a mess, it just needs a few tweaking to reach perfection. An awesome and hard work has been made, a few things still need to be done to work properly.

However, a week or two in beta branch before release woold have helped... :)

Not true: in the short film woodie turns into all three forms without idols and one after the other, which is impossible in the gameplay. At one point he is thrown into the water like Moose, and survives, which is not the case in gameplay. The only coherent thing about the short film is the very short duration of the three forms, it doesn't show anything "perfectly".

1 minute ago, Pop Guy said:

Not true: in the short film woodie turns into all three forms without idols and one after the other, which is impossible in the gameplay. At one point he is thrown into the water like Moose, and survives, which is not the case in gameplay. The only coherent thing about the short film is the very short duration of the three forms, it doesn't show anything "perfectly".

He also kills a treeguard with Lucy.

Very inaccurate.

(She also doesn't talk or make any noise?)

1 hour ago, Ogrecakes said:

He also kills a treeguard with Lucy.

Very inaccurate.

(She also doesn't talk or make any noise?)

8 minutes ago, Bleksmits said:

In Sekiro style without any doubts.

But there was a real thing in the short film: Woodie's human form proves to be more useful, strong and leathery than the other three Were-form put together :'D

1 hour ago, Pop Guy said:

I know right?

- Sarcasm Incoming -

Like Winona can fix structures, Willow still lights fires with low sanity, Wortox can absolutely make things levitate, and Wormwood blooms when he falls asleep. Right? Right?

Gosh darn Woodie's animatic being inaccurate to gameplay! ...Can we just not? There are so many valid things to complain about, and "gameplay accuracy" is such a silly one. If you pick at the details so specifically, of course it's not going to match up perfectly. It demonstrates that he has additional forms—that's it.

In all fairness though it got my hopes up for a form that can swim, but alas.

Just now, Zeklo said:

I know right?

- Sarcasm Incoming -

Like Winona can fix structures, Willow still lights fires with low sanity, Wortox can absolutely make things levitate, and Wormwood blooms when he falls asleep. Right? Right?

Gosh darn Woodie's animatic being inaccurate to gameplay! ...Can we just not? There are so many valid things to complain about, and "gameplay accuracy" is such a silly one. If you pick at the details so specifically, of course it's not going to match up perfectly. It demonstrates that he has additional forms—that's it.

In all fairness though it got my hopes up for a form that can swim, but alas.

I replied to a comment from someone who said it was "perfectly" accurate with respect to the gameplay. Come on, contextualize.

I replied to a comment from someone who said it was "perfectly" accurate with respect to the gameplay. Come on, contextualize.

Either way you're trying to prove someone wrong in a point that doesn't matter or it matters enough to you to try and prove.

Context really doesn't matter.

But there was a real thing in the short film: Woodie's human form proves to be more useful, strong and leathery than the other three put together : 'D

Woodie is much stable now except full moons. And were forms is just for Canadian propaganda i did not know'ed such thing exists like "Canadian propaganda" Canadians are cute anyways without it.

6 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

Translation: I have no compelling rebuttals. Let's insult the arguer instead. 10/10 ad hominem. I expected no less.

What?  He just pointed out to the guy who said the video portrays Woodie's playstyle accurately that he didn't think that was right, which is a valid point.  Why you had to jump on it beats me, but I'd suggest everyone be a bit more civil, yeah?

7 minutes ago, Mario384 said:

What?  He just pointed out to the guy who said the video portrays Woodie's playstyle accurately that he didn't think that was right, which is a valid point.  Why you had to jump on it beats me, but I'd suggest everyone be a bit more civil, yeah?

I think that's entirely fine. The animatics are by no means one for one, but I would argue it does encompass "Woodie". 

It shows him chopping trees only to be interrupted by a treeguard (that is one of his cons). 
It shows him using the beaver to try and combat the treeguard (transformation is a pro, no totem used though).
It shows him using the goose to run away (transformation is a pro, transforms off-screen).
It shows him using the moose to combat further (transformation is a pro, transforms off-screen, though takes place in water).
It shows him using Lucy to deal the final blow (Lucy is a pro).

It seems like the one specific gripe of "ah gee he didn't use a totem the entire thing fails to show off how Woodie is" seems a bit silly.

Not sure why you quoted that comment specifically though.
I think being called "delusional" is an accurate example of an ad hominen.

21 hours ago, Sketched_Philo said:

That would imply that we can also pray for the reworks of other characters that didn't go so well. Guess we'll wait to wait another 5 years. No character in the refreshes was changed after the refresh release so I don't think Klei will change anything.

Hmm you are wrong... All characters changed post rework update... Some more than others but they did change. 

Do you guys realize that Don't Starve Together does not provide a lot of money, and the devs pointed out the fact that news skins can barely pay out for the cost of new content ?

We have an awesome studio that listens to its community and work hard on refreshing characters playstyles.

And yet, it has to face a ****storm of salty kids that call it garbage, creating topics suggesting to just delete their work, spamming fix woodie and calling it a mess.

This is not League of Legends. Can we be more civilized ?

While it's true Woodie still needs a few tweaking, this refresh is amazing and will probably get fixed in a few days.

9 minutes ago, Petit Citron said:

Do you guys realize that Don't Starve Together does not provide a lot of money, and the devs pointed out the fact that news skins can barely pay out for the cost of new content ?

We have an awesome studio that listens to its community and work hard on refreshing characters playstyles.

And yet, it has to face a ****storm of salty kids that call it garbage, creating topics suggesting to just delete their work, spamming fix woodie and calling it a mess.

This is not League of Legends. Can we be more civilized ?

While it's true Woodie still needs a few tweaking, this refresh is amazing and will probably get fixed in a few days.

Just you wait until they change up the meta characters. Its going to cause a riot.

I like Woodie now but I would like him to get some small changes to the transformations, making Moose and maybe Goose last longer. 

I tested Moose against a large group of spiders, worked perfectly by charging at them. 1 on 1 against stronger mobs isn't something I have really tried. 

Might need a couple of more changes.

I think Woodie is more fun to play as then he was before. I wasn't really intrested in playing as him before the refresh.

I think there will be more changes later. It's a new update afterall and Willow afterall did get changed after release of her refresh.

15 minutes ago, Petit Citron said:

I think they talked about Gorge and Forge events. Hosting servers costs money, and they had to spend more during those events because more servers were needed. Ofc new content does cost money, they don't work for free(and shouldn't).

I think Klei should be really proud of their work. I think it is quite sad that people appear to be a bit too negative. 

I decided to give Woodie a go after his rework. He's my favorite character along with Warly after all.

It might be a bit of an unpopular opinion but i wish that Klei didn't touch Woodie's small sanity gain by planting pinecones. Yeah it may sound tedious to some people out there but it was fitting for Woodie's aesthetic as a lumberjack. You cut trees, then you plant em. and you get a small reward for that. 

The transformations are meh if you're optimistic. Werebeaver is okay, Moose needs to be a bit faster and I don't even know what i can do with the Goose. It would be nice if the Goose was able to swim andleap across gaps at least, or run faster than it does currently. I'm fine with Goose having little transformation time but the other transformations have too short durations. I think that the durations of Moose and Beaver must be extended and the zero hunger post transformation thing should be tweaked.

Maybe weakening woodie post transformation as a trade-off is a good direction to go but zero hunger is way too much. The idols already have a small fee on health and sanity.

Lastly, now woodie has no real weaknesses. Previously, i either had to pay mind to my beaverness meter or be prepared to transform. I'm gonna miss that part.

Archived