Woodie Character Update Next Week + News!

5 minutes ago, Ezaroth said:

His downside is the forced transformation during full moon and sanity drain in were-form. Not to mention you can no longer instantly transform back to human form by eating logs. Also, at least half of the players would disagree that more Treeguards is an upside.

That "forced" transformation can be easily evaded by entering the caves or by disconnecting & reconnecting during full moon, and having Treeguards is always nice, they'll fight against mobs for you and you can turn them any time into Living Logs.

Perhaps Woodie will have cons for average players, but real experts will know how to completly avoid his cons or how to use them for their own advantage. If these cons will stay as Woodie's only cons, he'll become a character without any cons at all.

13 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

he'll become a character without any cons at all.

haven't we heard that one before? Wortox.

It's clear Klei's new approach on balance is to make everyone outrageously good. Which is kinda clever when you think about it.

26 minutes ago, Ezaroth said:

His downside is the forced transformation during full moon and sanity drain in were-form. Not to mention you can no longer instantly transform back to human form by eating logs. Also, at least half of the players would disagree that more Treeguards is an upside.

Full moon occurs every 20 day, it's no a big downside. Not being able to transform back instantly is not a meaningful downside, it's just a waiting game. More Treeguards means more living logs and monster meat, more living logs means dark sword, which is always good, and monster meat is useful for the idols. No, not half of the players would disagree.

You want to nerf him but at the same time you want to buff him again?

Planting is a small but characteristic buff, it's part of what made him endearing. As long as he has actual downsides, I don't mind a simple character-fitting buff. There is a big difference between how much I want the nerf and how much I want this particular buff back.

The curse is only during full moon. There's no difference from current Woodie if you constantly ate logs (which made him a terrible logs gatherer).

Having to constantly eat logs was part of the curse, it made you be mindful of your meter. Being able to fully control and choose the Wereforms negates this need for mindfulness. A transformation every 20 days for a third of a day is not a big deal.

They're treating the curse the same as the Werepigs's curse, just different animals. Also because there is no Wilba in DST.

Okay, so Woodie is half pig??? It doesn't have to be the same thing, they could have made it so much more creative. Woodie is not a pig, his curse was wood-based, not a monster meat thing.

Well, I don't understand what you are talking about, but okay.

That "forced" transformation can be easily evaded by entering the caves or by disconnecting & reconnecting during full moon, and having Treeguards is always nice, they'll fight against mobs for you and you can turn them any time into Living Logs

This, I completely agree.

1 minute ago, Viktor234 said:

Perhaps Woodie will have cons for average players, but real experts will know how to completly avoid his cons or how to use them for their own advantage. If these cons will stay as Woodie's only cons, he'll become a character without any cons at all.

Isn't that the same as Wickerbottom? Her only disadvantages are not being able to sleep and penalty when eating stale food. "Real experts" would despise tent and bundle wrap all their foods.

4 hours ago, BoxFace said:

With Locomotion, if there is swimming, how will it be explained? Woodies quote for a pond says he can't swim, and it's not like he gains some new knowledge temporarily.

Woodie can't swim, but if he turns into one of his forms he could (animal instinct). Beavers can swim.

5 minutes ago, Gabriel_Dreyer said:

Not being able to transform back instantly is not a meaningful downside, it's just a waiting game.

I think you're forgetting the part where his sanity constantly drains while in were-form.

Planting is a small but characteristic buff, it's part of what made him endearing. As long as he has actual downsides, I don't mind a simple character-fitting buff. There is a big difference between how much I want the nerf and how much I want this particular buff back.

Woodie HATES trees. I don't see how planting trees is character-fitting for him. If you want to plant trees go play Wormwood.

Well, I don't understand what you are talking about, but okay.

Sorry to hear that.

20 hours ago, JoeW said:
  • A random transformation can be triggered by repeatedly consuming Monster Meat (or prepared dishes like Monster Lasagna).
  • A specific transformation can be triggered by consuming one of the three new craftable idols made with Monster Meat.

Monster meat idols? Woodie as  lumberjack should make these idols from wood, besides the transformation into a wereform after eating monter meat is a Wilba's attribute.

4 minutes ago, Ezaroth said:

I think you're forgetting the part where his sanity constantly drains while in were-form.

Flowers. Cooked Greencaps. Using your loyal pigmen. Tam o' Shanter. Glommer. Fighting Nightmares. There are various ways to recover sanity, and the sanity drain was even diminished. Sanity is not an issue, it's just... kinda annoying, if you don't know what you're doing :v

7 minutes ago, Ezaroth said:

Woodie HATES trees. I don't see how planting trees is character-fitting for him. If you want to plant trees go play Wormwood

His quote for Wood is "makes it all worthwhile"
His quote for most trees is "It's calling to me!"
His quote for Pine Cones is "I should grow it and then chop it down!"

If he hated trees, he would also hate wood, or, at the very least, have a quote expressing his despise for them when inspecting, like he has for Birds. Him gaining sanity by planting pine cones hints at him taking pleasure in gathering wood, and not destroying forests.

I'm also glad that you seem to have understood the points I made about the Curse, Treeguards and the Monster Meat addition. Good.
Finally, I don't mean to sound arrogant, but it seems like you don't play Woodie often, or don't understand how he works as it stands, maybe get to know a bit more about the character and his personality?

6 minutes ago, Beardy Wilson said:

It could be both from wood and meat. What do you say then?!

As Klei wrote monster meat is the basic ingredient. It is logical that combat form idol requires meat but why two other form idols also require it.

6 minutes ago, Gabriel_Dreyer said:

If he hated trees, he would also hate wood

Sir, no offense but, this is nonsense.

He likes freshly choped down pieces of a tree.

He thinks he should plant cones for the sole purpose of being able to chop them even more when they're fully grown.

He's so eager to put down trees he feels being "called" by them.

You hardly could be more hateful toward trees.

Sanity giving cones makes sense whith a plant character, not a lumberjack.

1 minute ago, Sunset Skye said:

Woodie is a lumberjack and Lucy is an axe. Neither of them hate trees, they just enjoy chopping them.

After chopping a tree: (Lucy)

"Woooooo!"

"Yeah!"

"Stupid tree!"

"Nom nom nom!"

"We did it!"

"I feel ALIVE!"

"HaHAHA!"

"YEEEESS!"

"This is what I live for!"

"Woo-hoohoo!"

"RAAAA!"

"Die! Die!"

"Chop! Chop!"

"Destruction!"

"CHOP!"

"This is AWESOME!"

"Death to all trees!"

"Again! Let's chop another!"

"Nice swing!"

"Too easy!"

He likes freshly choped down pieces of a tree.

He thinks he should plant cones for the sole purpose of being able to chop them even more when they're fully grown.

Sanity giving cones makes sense whith a plant character, not a lumberjack

Ok, sir, here's an example to better illustrate my point of view.
Let's say, you really enjoy eating bread.
You decide to make bread... because you like eating bread.
Wouldn't making bread make you happy? wouldn't the expectation of bread, maybe raise your sanity a bit, since you enjoy eating bread so much?

It's the same with Woodie! He got a bit of sanity, because he enjoyed chopping trees, and the more he planted, the more he would reap from them later on. He has fun chopping trees with Lucy, destroying trees is just the side-product of it, not the goal. You wouldn't be happy because you destroyed the ingredients, you'd be happy because you ate the bread.

4 minutes ago, Gabriel_Dreyer said:

-snip-

Quoted the wrong maymay.

I believe you are looking for:

19 minutes ago, Petit Citron said:

He likes freshly choped down pieces of a tree.

He thinks he should plant cones for the sole purpose of being able to chop them even more when they're fully grown.

Sanity giving cones makes sense whith a plant character, not a lumberjack.

29 minutes ago, maciu67 said:

As Klei wrote monster meat is the basic ingredient. It is logical that combat form idol requires meat but why two other form idols also require it.

They are all "were" forms and were stuff is linked with MM in the game. Not seeing a problem. Design-wise I think it's because MM is a common renewable resource.

I'd wager his forms are still all beavers. The werebeaver, a complete animal-like beaver running on fours, and a mutated half-human form (think mutated mobs) that retains perks of human mode such as inventory.

It's certain there will be some RoT Moon shenanigans in there.

Archived