New wildplanting rules

From what I can tell, it looks like this:

• You need the annoying critter to do it
  • Only dirt tiles work. Not any natural tile, must be dirt.
  • A tile is only considered for planting if there are at most 2 plants in a 13x13 square centered at it (note: plants are above their dirt tiles)

If it wasn't for two first points, it would not be bad.

Just now, Junksteel said:

New wildplanting rules = no wildplanting

It's still worth it if you don't have infinite cooling for any reason. It's tedious and space-inefficient, but takes much less effort to cool than the water for domestic planted sleets.

16 minutes ago, MustardWarrior said:

I'm pretty confident it's bigger than 13x13. I think it's at least a 17x17 based on my testing.   I think it's more like 21x21.

Did you purge all other plants? It isn't type-specific.

1 minute ago, Coolthulhu said:

It's still worth it if you don't have infinite cooling for any reason. It's tedious and space-inefficient, but takes much less effort to cool than the water for domestic planted sleets.

I agree. It's just a roll back to what we had. Not bad, but a more passive keeping of what we spawn with... not a 'wild way' or strategy to build and plan with.

I loved the new possibilities we briefly had with wildplanting. We are back to floating pincha pepper which always bothered me a lot.

13 minutes ago, EnderCN said:

Well something had to change, it was downright broken before.  This game is already way too easy, they can't trivialize everything.

I agree it was broken. It had to change, but it was almost removed entirely. They could make it in a way you'd only have aditional seeds by regular farming and lowering the drop rates to the point it would require prep and time to develop a wild farm.

13x13? 17x17? Only dirt and through peeps? Not viable...

And Worts are nerfed again. They won't be in our bases if not in a farm tile.

1 hour ago, EnderCN said:

Well something had to change, it was downright broken before.  This game is already way too easy, they can't trivialize everything.

Almost all the "fix power" of this change is in the 13x13 block limitation. Klei could have capitalized on that without forcing that mistake of a critter into places it hasn't managed to corrupt yet. Especially considering that it adds very little to the "limiting power" of this nerf.

The dirt requirement is a mixed bag: on one hand it limits things early on (in a painful, unfun way), on the other you can just make more dirt by baking 5kg algae chunks.

7 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

Why is this even in the game.

A question I could ask of several things, like a lot of the critter variants (pufts that aren't dense, shinebugs as a whole, sage hatches), but also all of the food farming stuff in this new update; it feels like Klei massively misunderstood what farming needed added/changed and just felt like dumping more frustration mechanics on us, and made a slight mistake in doing so by giving us a feature that was a little too non-frustrating for a bit.

I'm in agreement with the spirit of the change, and I think this was a creative way to allow seeds to replant while avoiding it becoming "the way you farm".  My concern is that instead it will just shift to something that gets done end-game, like a sour gas boiler. 

Seeds are plentiful and typically considered trash items by end-game, if not mid-game.  So now instead of tiling off unused areas to help with performance, it'll be working on filling your base with parks and nature reserves everywhere they'll fit. 

Unfortunately it sounds like the process will likely be tedious, to create dirt tiles properly spaced and provide pips to each room.  Sure, it'll be completely optional and can likely also be ignored.  But that's a lot of new content for a feature to be kinda 'meh'. 

I'd really like to see them limit seeds and reward players for food diversity, rather than switching from one mega-crop to another as resources and needs change.  Currently there's very little reason to offer your dupes any variety in their diet.

4 minutes ago, Nitroturtle said:

reward players for food diversity

I dreamed about this from the Agricultural patch.I saw it like it was implemented in Banished. Wouldn't it be amazing to see all kinds of plants around your base & being rewarded for food diversity (or avoiding some disease related to that)? Now I doubt that Klei's gonna do this (. Guys, is it possible to make this thing real for modders? 

Hem. What about parks ? How are we supposed to create 120 square meters room with 4 wild plants when there's such a limitation on how pips do their stuff ? Right in the middle of my base, I was setting up 2 Parks before each Great Hall entrance. That was the better way I've found to force dups for enjoying natural decor. But it seems that this density limitation will prevent me to gather at least 4 trees in each allocated space... it's not even 120m2... am I tricked ?

3 minutes ago, OxCD said:

Hem. What about parks ? How are we supposed to create 120 square meter room with 4 wild plants when there's such a limitation on how pips do their stuff ? Right in the middle of my base, I was setting up 2 Parks before each Great Hall entrance. That was the better way I've found to force dups for envoying natural decor. But it seems that this density limitation will prevent me to gather at least 4 trees in each allocated space... it's not even 120m2... am I tricked ?

You...roll a new Verdante map and hope for some coincidentally great layout of the wild plants at the start for the base you want to make, plus a bit of help from pips. I wish I was joking; my newest base has an absolutely crazy number of wild trees, mealwood, oxyfern, and mirth leafs scattered about.

Also, pips are a bit of a pain, cause they will absolutely see a spare hydroponic tile as a place to plant mealwood among oxyferns. At least it seems like they only spread out plants of the same type, as I've seen them put mirth leafs and mealwoods right next to trees.

To me, this was a feature that was added to make pips more fun / different. They rummage in your storage compactors and bury seeds all over the place! It's cute.

And once they had the code for new wild plants, they thought they might as well give the player the option without involving pips, before realizing it completely destabilized the farming balance. So they rolled back the pipless wild planting.

3 hours ago, Nitroturtle said:

I'd really like to see them limit seeds and reward players for food diversity, rather than switching from one mega-crop to another as resources and needs change.  Currently there's very little reason to offer your dupes any variety in their diet.

Really agree. They could have simply made wild seeds never reproduce, limiting the total wilds, just like ranching. At the same time it would have reasonable but not ridiculous constraints on base design.

2 hours ago, BaloneyOs said:

At least trees can still plant optimally in lines.

lOAcpNx.png

That's much more than 2 per 17 13. Good news. Must be a bug with saplings.

if it is really 17x17 for any other plant but the trees, then i see no reason to even bother with pips other then for with trees. 

In other words, just a critter to ignore if you don't care about trees.. 

dupe wild planting getting removed i understand, but making pips near useless, it saddens my heart...

Archived