Is lettuce OP?

On the other hand, WWs are now nearly useless. And they were pretty useful before.

I am really not sure what Klei wants to do here. They have shifted things quite a bit, I honestly feel like I am not playing the same game anymore. I am still undecided whether the current state is good. Oceania feels somewhat boring, I have to admit.

it is indeed feels like an expansion of the game we used to, with the new biomes, new asteroid option and new machinery. While it allows for a more flexible starter game, it definitely feels way off from the early access version, not that I am complaining. 

As for Lettuce, in map like Arboria and Verdante, where making oxygen is way more harder than normal, having one resource of food that we can just set up and forget is nice. My colony is arboria is still struggling hard, as I have found a rust biome but low on salt and until now still hasnt found any slime biome at all to help me off gas o2 from pWater. And the lack of water from the starting biome is also a problem.(Either im just not used to the changes or just got a bad map seed)

On the other hand, Oceania seems really easy with the amount of salt water, which can be turn to normal water, and can be used to farm lettuce as well. The water can be used for O2. I havent explored much of Oceania to see if they have any rust or slime biome at all for algae, but with the abundance of water, Oceania turns out to be somehow easier than Arboria especially, at least for me. 

11 minutes ago, SamLogan said:

I've tried it, and it's really slow to grow and give a really small amount of calories. Only 300 calories / 4,5 cycles so you need 15 plants / Duplicant.

Plant them. Same needs, but now 300 kcal/cycle. You need 3.5 per dupe. The limit here is food quality. And your farmers have to wade through water to tend to them. 

26 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

The limit here is food quality. And your farmers have to wade through water to tend to them. 

So basically you are saying you get free food, but you will get a morale penalty for using it. That doesn't seem completely unreasonable to me.

19 minutes ago, Nightinggale said:

So basically you are saying you get free food, but you will get a morale penalty for using it. That doesn't seem completely unreasonable to me.

It may be possible to use a ladder-layer 2 tiles above, but I am too lazy for that.

3 hours ago, nivodeus said:

My colony is arboria is still struggling hard, as I have found a rust biome but low on salt and until now still hasnt found any slime biome at all to help me off gas o2 from pWater. And the lack of water from the starting biome is also a problem.(Either im just not used to the changes or just got a bad map seed)

You won't find a slime biome in Arboria. The key for Arboria (and Verdante to a lesser extent) seems to be to rush for desalination. There seems to be a pretty good resource saving loop involving using the salt plants to convert the chlorine from the rust O2 makers back to salt. 

So, my plan is eat lettuce at first, use lumber for power, desalinate for water and salt, rust for oxygen, salt plants to clean up Tge chlorine and carefully dig/build the get the Pips to replant Oxyferns to the bottom of the base as I build. 

IDK. I think the lettuce is fine.  Its somewhat slow, and your dupes get wet feet while harvesting, so I think those two 'penalties' counteract that it doesn't actually need any resources.  On a world like Oceana, its kinda nice to have One Thing you don't have to worry about.  

1 minute ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

IDK. I think the lettuce is fine.  Its somewhat slow, and your dupes get wet feet while harvesting, so I think those two 'penalties' counteract that it doesn't actually need any resources.  On a world like Oceana, its kinda nice to have One Thing you don't have to worry about.  

you can counter it by blocking pathing into the wet floor and use a ladder 2 tile above it. 

I think it's fine to have this as a low cost food production as we no longer guarantee to get the old free food - pacu with different starts.

5 hours ago, Gurgel said:

Plant them. Same needs, but now 300 kcal/cycle. You need 3.5 per dupe. The limit here is food quality. And your farmers have to wade through water to tend to them. 

1 hour ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

Just build ladder above to avoid the debuff of water

In the long term, it's not really overpowered with current wild plant mechanics. If you can afford to wait 80 cycles, wild-planting the sleets or the strictly inferior beans (seriously, the beans are worse than sleets in every single way that matters) is an one-time investment that will keep repaying indefinitely.

In short term, it's a 0 morale food item with no cheap recipes for it, high volume (clogs fridges), short spoil time and wet feet debuff, but with no maintenance and tolerant of high temperatures.

With no wild planting, it could be OP. With wild planting, it is just mealwood+1.

24 minutes ago, Coolthulhu said:

In the long term, it's not really overpowered with current wild plant mechanics. If you can afford to wait 80 cycles, wild-planting the sleets or the strictly inferior beans (seriously, the beans are worse than sleets in every single way that matters) is an one-time investment that will keep repaying indefinitely.

In short term, it's a 0 morale food item with no cheap recipes for it, high volume (clogs fridges), short spoil time and wet feet debuff, but with no maintenance and tolerant of high temperatures.

With no wild planting, it could be OP. With wild planting, it is just mealwood+1.

I agree the ability to re-plant wild is more OP as you can have infinite free farms close to your base. (no more wild wheat with high dup labor to collect)

Just now, suicide commando said:

I tried this, and it's a bit iffy. Sometimes they walk over the ladders and sometimes they walk through the water, so not really effective.

Did you block the entrance to force them up on the ladders?  I would not expect them to climb back down in the middle.  You just need to have the entrance high enough that it forces them to the ladder

It's a similar idea to how wild critters are in general in that there's no continuous material or labor input required. Seems like there's no more half-assing the sustainability aspect of this game now that we can even plant things wild. I think rather than being OP it's just a reward for finding tide pools. Furthermore just because a new plant is able to provide more calories for its input doesn't just automatically make it "OP".

They're slightly more food efficient than mealwood for the same food quality, but consume far less work time and resources.  Mealwood gives 280 kcal/plant/cycle if you convert it to liceloaf.  Lettus gives 300 kcal/plant/cycle from the start.  Liceloaf is consuming dirt, water, and more work time (four times as many harvests and microbe musher work time) for those calories, lettus is not.

It does feel too easy.  Something you can just set and forget without fear.  I think they should at least no longer be able to grow in clean water and slowly consume some of the salt water or brine they're submerged in if domesticated.  At least then there'd be a little bit of maintenance necessary to regularly refill the pools or setup a valve controlled by a hydro sensor to automatically do so.  Maybe add a cooking step for a little bit of dupe labor to get the full calorie efficiency.

What recipes are there for lettuce and what is their quality.

I don't think that this is OP because of the aforementioned stress debuff.  Plus ranching gives you food that is basically free, does anyone really run out of rock for hatches?  Or CO2 for slicksters?

Archived