Curiosities about Wormwood's design

wormwood.thumb.png.264c0896efd41d692b0b3efecaf0ecc6.png

Wormwood resembles to a Construct (with some traits of Talking Tree), fictitious magical beings made from organic and inorganic components, capable of various actions. Depending on the circumstances of their creation, this being can be sentient or not.

The most classic example of constructs is the Golem:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golem

The well know Treeguards are based on stories of Talking Trees, sapient trees, forest owners of secrets and wisdom in diverse legends from around the world. Other franchices, books, movies, and games alike, have made variations on this concept - for example, Magic the Gathering (Treefolk) or Lord of the Rings (Ents).

treefolk.jpg.0929ba01c1c85abde137a367090de002.jpg

ent.thumb.jpg.1b9e7a378c3bb0a135f8b9848018d96c.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talking_tree

In some games or novels, constructs not only have self-consciousness, some have developed artificial "souls" similar to living beings. 

If we look for similarities, we could say Wormwood is a bit close to Warforges (Dungeons & Dragons), old constructs powered by mysterious magic gems and made of stone, wood, and metal for the purpose of war in past, but now with free will, to "roam around the realms of beasts and man".

5cf1b18961a5c_warforged00(THEiconicimage).thumb.jpg.762cdcf383449321d63ca9303eb04e11.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Eberron#Warforged

But if we want a closer likeness, we could name the Kanohi Ignika, a technological magic mask from Bionicle franchise (Lego). This artifact made by old and mysterious "Great Beings" is capable of creating and destroying life, evolve and devolve beings, making transformations or turning back things to their original state. Other of his abilities is give diverse kind of curse to anybody who dares to touch him, forcing some ones to be a temporal "guardian" for Ignika.

Ignika_01.png.61f128a7c70cf8f989c104555862c6b2.png

https://biosector01.com/wiki/Ignika

Not only limited to that, Inika itself possesses a mind of its own thanks to its powers. Eventually this magical mask is able to create a suitable body through arcane vigor.

Toa_Ignika_Creation.PNG.b33c1f268988e694762750b5f518982c.PNG

(The mask used vines and vegetation to make his body)

Comic_Toa_Ignika.PNG.a2610a392ca83247140dbc42e4ee19b3.PNG

(Ignika has said his favorite color was green, because reminded it of plant life)

Curiously, the Ancient Civilization of DS/DST used green gems, magic articles capable of crafting items with less resources and destroy structures/items, giving back the resources used for their construction. And the body of Wormwood wears something like a green gem, apparently working as a heart or brain (maybe both).

Based on this, we could say Wormwood is the "ultimate creation" in some way.

WormWood and WX are almost complete opposites.

Wormwood: Friend?

WX: PUNY FLESHLING

I think WormWood will have a soul though. He feels empathy, sadness, loneliness, happiness, ALL SORTS OF THINGS.

Spoiler

I wonder about that gem tho.

11 hours ago, NeddoFreddo said:

This got me wondering... will Wormwood drop a soul when a Wortox is present?

Good observation. 

Im also interested in see the future look of in-game wormwood's ghost (default & skins, becuase Wortox have this stuff already). 

10 hours ago, Troppok said:

I made a post saying If his spirit haunts a green gem he should resurrect on it. 

I'm not sure if the devs could apply this, but the idea sound very interesting.

The interaction with Meat Effigies might raise or answer some questions, although it would be cool if he got his own kind of resurrection effigy (or even resurrection mechanic), given how unique he is. Maybe he could be granted a second chance as a semi-controllable flying seed / spore upon death, if activated beforehand by some item or structure (that would then disappear). Or somethiiiiiiiiiiing unique.

5 hours ago, Captain_Rage said:

The interaction with Meat Effigies might raise or answer some questions, although it would be cool if he got his own kind of resurrection effigy (or even resurrection mechanic), given how unique he is. Maybe he could be granted a second chance as a semi-controllable flying seed / spore upon death, if activated beforehand by some item or structure (that would then disappear). Or somethiiiiiiiiiiing unique.

Yes, the ability of conservation through a "sapling" would be very good and fits with Wormwood's nature.

Depending of the franchise, some Talking Trees have "sons" preservating the knowledge of his parents (Magic: The Gathering), and others are capable of reborn with exact copies of themselves (Marvel).

Heartwood_Treefolk.jpg.8d03951363ccaa37cbeab48f112e405b.jpg

Heartwood Treefolk

Groot_Sapling.thumb.jpg.ea5f2640e739617d6c90fe0c95797355.jpg

Groot

The Gem is a bit different, it glows in a lime fashion instead of the dull green, I assume it is charged, possibly by the Moon Magic just like the Yellow Gem eventually turns into an Iridescent Opal

1 hour ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

The Gem is a bit different, it glows in a lime fashion instead of the dull green, I assume it is charged, possibly by the Moon Magic just like the Yellow Gem eventually turns into an Iridescent Opal

True, I want to see the creation process of Wormwood soon because the apparent change reminds me to the wood used on the Warforged, which turn in something similar to "muscle tissues" when the construct is completed.

Warforged-Process.png.65c20eae3353e5b3aeb43e710502bf57.png

11 hours ago, Captain_Rage said:

I think it’d be neat if he made his effigys out of leafy meat, or maybe just make a special seed that grows into a “capsule plant” which he emerges from when he dies.

I simply think his uniqueness and floral / magical nature warrants something unique when it comes to resurrection, that sets him aside from the rest. Your suggestion with leafy meat effigies is great. :D:D:D On the lore side, the standard Meat Effigies work for WX-78 already, so my initial logic might have derailed a bit at the get-go.

Archived