The true problem with Hamlet and Shipwrecked

Szczuku

Klei is a great company. They care about their games and fanbase. They have a lot of good ideas.

Shipwrecked and Hamlet are great ideas for ds dlcs. They're actually so good of ideas that Klei will never be able to satisfy us. Basically: these dlcs have so much potential that community is never going to truly feel satisfied with them, cuz it's impossible for Klei to add all of that. For example shipwrecked: no underwater world, no volcano ruins-like biome, no lore. Same thing happened to Hamlet. 

Unfortunatelly we can't go back in time and Klei can't make those 12k people pay for Hamlet now. This means that if Klei even decided to add new content to Sw and Ham they wouldn't really profit from that. 

But if Klei ever decides to make 4th dlc they now have experience. They know that if they make us wait almost an entire year for some gameplay trailer, we'll have some impossible-to-make expectations.

TLDR: These dlcs have a lot of potential that Klei'll never fully use cuz they've already set up prices and it just won't be worth it to put more work into them now.

I'm happy with 3 DLCs, I don't think the game needs any more. What I'd like to see Klei do now in the future is content updates for Hamlet, and some minor ones to tie up SW's loose ends, then character refreshes (cause lord knows some characters need them). Getting what we have now to the standard it deserves before making something entirely new.

I am still hoping that Klei will add skins into DS and thereby find ways to continue monetising the game. Having said that, I personally think that I got waaaay more for my buck than I could have reasonably expected, and that goes for all three DLCs.

I would rephrase your analysis a bit: the main problem that Klei have is that their main clientele are spoilt, entitled 12 year olds. It does not matter whether they wait for a year or for a month for something. They just somehow feel that for the price of two coffees (not that they think in terms of coffees, since they are too young) they should get the perfect game, and that they are entitled to special events, skins, etc. for free.

They don't really mesh together with the base game, and end up feeling empty because of it.

Reign of Giant's was absolutely brilliant, but in reality it didn't add that much unique content compared to Shipwrecked or Hamlet, but it's so highly regarded because it directly meshes with the core game.

But instead of reusing seasons, or mobs, or Giants, or weather effects, or pretty much anything, it's all thrown out to make room for new content with Shipwrecked and Hamlet.

Both could have kept some similar biomes, the seasons could have been the same with slight spins on their mechanics, giants could have functioned the same (perhaps with some slightly altered art and mechanics), caves could have probably been introduced... but we just have none of that.

16 hours ago, TimothyCarter said:

I don't know if I am in the minority here, but I really do like all the DLCs. I just wanna have some fun and make a nice world. Adding new stuff always brings me joy.

You’re not in the minority, but satisfied people don’t generate forum posts.

I like shipwrecked it may not been up to its full potential but it has everything I like lots of places to explore, reasons to world hop, musics great and out of all the dlcs its just really relaxing and tropical themes are my favorite so there might be some bias.

I like Shipwrecked a lot actually. I'm on the fence with Hamlet so far, mainly because it puts so much emphasis on selling clippings and berries and buying stuff. That's not the reason people play survival games I feel. It has some great ideas though, I really love the new biomes and I WAY prefer Hamlet ruins to the vanilla caves and ruins. But introducing civilization and trading, yeah, not exactly a traditional survival features.

I always hoped and prayed for more adventures actually. I'd love Klei to give us more stuff like the Adventure Mode or some other challenge runs. The game doesn't need more sandbox DLCs like SW and H. If there's still anything to add it's something different from a sandbox mode, something more akin to structured maps or scenarios with goals to meet. That would be literally Christmas for me.

On 5/23/2019 at 3:07 PM, Szczuku said:

Klei can't make those 12k people pay for Hamlet now.

Why do people keep bringing this up? Did Klei come out and say that this was a big problem for them or something? I really don't think you guys realize how insignificant 12k copies is. Depending on why they were given out anyway they probably made more money on good will than they lost.

38 minutes ago, Faintly Macabre said:

Why do people keep bringing this up? Did Klei come out and say that this was a big problem for them or something? I really don't think you guys realize how insignificant 12k copies is. Depending on why they were given out anyway they probably made more money on good will than they lost.

Between the DLCs getting released and all the microtransactions in DST, they're pretty much loaded.

So yeah, agreed.

Some people might've missed my main point. I don't blame you since I wrote that at night and my writing skills were barelly working.

I meant that if Klei'd decide to add more Big BoyTM content into the game it'd be in a form of free update. So Klei'd be putting a lot of work (think making underwater world in Sw) for basically nothing. I mean ok maybe like 50 new people would buy that dlc, but for remaining x-thousand players that would be just a big free update.

That's what I meant. Klei'd make a very big update that could have a possibility of not even covering the cost of making it.

Eh, I don't know. RoG was an expansion to the base world plus new mechanics and it was a DLC. Klei could easily cook up something like that for SW+Hamlet and sell it as a normal DLC.

Add underwater world for SW (a'la RoG ruins), some new enemies, items, fancy mechanics, a new "level" of Pig ruins with some final boss fight there and you have a DLC fans will jump on. I know I would :)

On 5/23/2019 at 9:07 PM, Szczuku said:

Klei is a great company. They care about their games and fanbase. They have a lot of good ideas.

Shipwrecked and Hamlet are great ideas for ds dlcs. They're actually so good of ideas that Klei will never be able to satisfy us. Basically: these dlcs have so much potential that community is never going to truly feel satisfied with them, cuz it's impossible for Klei to add all of that. For example shipwrecked: no underwater world, no volcano ruins-like biome, no lore. Same thing happened to Hamlet. 

Unfortunatelly we can't go back in time and Klei can't make those 12k people pay for Hamlet now. This means that if Klei even decided to add new content to Sw and Ham they wouldn't really profit from that. 

But if Klei ever decides to make 4th dlc they now have experience. They know that if they make us wait almost an entire year for some gameplay trailer, we'll have some impossible-to-make expectations.

TLDR: These dlcs have a lot of potential that Klei'll never fully use cuz they've already set up prices and it just won't be worth it to put more work into them now.

I disagree SW was and still is superior in content compared to Hamlet... next are only content related...

this is how I see Hamlet.... lots of QoLs, BUT somehow missing loot content

• no cool unique weapons - Halbert is mid tier kinda meh tbh to be the only Hamlet weapon
  • no useful unique boss items (pugalisk wand is pretty bad, bundling wraps are available in all dlcs so no Hamlet exclusive and the Crown u usually end up giving to the Queen so meh)
  • No special "ancentral" tab.... just the shops (where is the pig tab or the secret mant tab?)

42 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:
  • no useful unique boss items (pugalisk wand is pretty bad, bundling wraps are available in all dlcs so no Hamlet exclusive and the Crown u usually end up giving to the Queen so meh)

To be fair, the Vortex Cloak got a nice buff recently, and the Living Artifact is so easy to farm on a daily basis that you might as well just use it for boss fights in the other DLCs.

Just now, TheOnlyGuyEver said:

To be fair, the Vortex Cloak got a nice buff recently, and the Living Artifact is so easy to farm on a daily basis that you might as well just use it for boss fights in the other DLCs.

maybe... but the other bosses' loot is pretty underwhelming

6 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

who in their right mind would use it... it is such a bad weapon

would have loved if it shot oincs/dubloons instead of just gun powder and Warbucks had it since start of game.

even if the oincs did like, 30 damage, it still would be cool as all players could use it.

(100 oincs doing 3000 damage, hehe)

3 hours ago, MWY said:

would have loved if it shot oincs/dubloons instead of just gun powder and Warbucks had it since start of game.

even if the oincs did like, 30 damage, it still would be cool as all players could use it.

That could be cool perk for Warbucks if he could use oincs and dooblons as ammunition.

19 minutes ago, inferjus4 said:

That could be cool perk for Warbucks if he could use oincs and dooblons as ammunition.

I truly expected him todo so since day one cause his main perk is with Oincs in General and  if he could use it as Ammunition albeit with some cost to his sanity cause ya know, shooting pennies to save your life is too much costly for him and all, it will have been double awesome!

4 hours ago, MWY said:

would have loved if it shot oincs/dubloons instead of just gun powder 

Spoiler

and Warbucks had it since start of game.

Fixed... Pls ignore the spoilers and 

SHUT UP ABOUT WARBUCKS 

Archived