Hamlet is still missing many things and has fundamental problems with it.

TheOnlyGuyEver

5 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

You might call it that, but that’s not what it is. A hyperbole is an exaggeration. “Absolutely” is a categorical modifier. A thing can not be more or less absolute, any more than you can be a little bit pregnant. 

the exaggeration is the fact that its an exact when its clearly not.

I'm suprised the mention of the utter lack of content in the Treasure Hunting tab isn't on here. Klei never added any more content to it since closed beta and in its current state you might as well move all the items in it to the Tools and/or Survival tab.

EDIT: Oh and before I forget they also never added proper mod compatibility support for Hamlet! That really should have been something done for release, as we still can't specify mods are only for Hamlet with the in-game compatibility indicator even after all this time.

2 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

Um, no. It has the benefit of a boss who drops items needed to make a unique armor. You may not find that a sufficient benefit for the hassles of the Aporkalypse. I don’t. But it’s still a benefit. “Absolutely” is a word that has an actual meaning, not just something you say to show how worked up you are about a subject. You might want to look it up.

The Vortex Cloak isn’t a reward, it’s a chore.

The armor being a backpack would suggest that we should always wear it but it’s stats say otherwise.

You can’t stay sane while wearing it and you’re not protected from Shadows, so you can’t use it for too long or you have to use an helmet anyway with your 100% dmg blocking armor.

The nm fuel cost is exorbitant : for 450hp as a backpack you can get 3000hp of night armors. 5% dmg is not a big price to pay for all that extra armor hp.

Refueling takes too long and cost 5 sanity per 5% durability.

The Vortex Cloak is an inferior Night Armor. Change my mind.

3 hours ago, SouthTom said:

The armor being a backpack would suggest that we should always wear it

That is exactly where you are wrong because as you state, "it’s stats say otherwise." I mean, come on, if Klei wanted us to wear it all the time they obviously would not have put its stats as you stated yourself.

So, that means it is a backpack with the additionnal perk of having some armor stats (and not the contrary) that you will use in some situations, short or longer with some preparation to keep up your sanity, like easily cooking mushrooms from the mud spa. It is not an item with the purpose to be meta and that you always equip, just like the tam'o shanter and the walking cane, "change my mind".

The Vortex Cloak is an inferior Night Armor. Change my mind.

You are dear Sir, exactly right. Because the purpose of the vortex cloak is not to be an armor, not to be above any armor (apart if you want it and have a lot of nightmare fuel) and if you really want to tank something and god knows that you don't have to in this game, just use the night armor.

I am not defending at all cost this item, I am just pointing that it isn't useless, pointless like I read. It is the same as some people use the insulation backpack and others don't. It is an alternative item to propose another option in certain situations, as the typical boss drops in RoG did before. I would more understand the complaints if it was directed in that way.

But to finish, if for whatever reason you desire a "better" armor thant the night armor, vortex cloak is not and in my opinion should not be that item as it already has some purpose suited to raid ruins as far as I see. And I would not like it being modified for the sake of a new armor nobody really needs and if so anyway it is probably already called the living artifact

11 hours ago, SouthTom said:

Hamlet is based on 2 things; Pig societies and the ancient ruins left by them. While the cities might have a good chunk of content, the ruins are severely lacking.

Yes they have traps, yes they can be challenging, but what's the point to even go inside? There's no loot in there, only sadness.

• Statues? They're only worth 10 oincs and they don't even stack. Too much trouble for too little money.
  • Rare statues? There's only 3 keys to get from the Queen and you can find them between islands most of the time. You get a free one with the BFB too.
  • Smashing pots? Maybe, because they're non-renewable but they're not efficient.
  • Only source of batwings in Hamlet. Non-renewable, RNG.
  • Good way to get poisoned by a scorpion.
  • Wishing wells are nice, but you're way more likely to get hurt here instead of staying home.

You only really need the ones that tunnels between islands and to go stop the Aporkalypse. And even when you have cleared them it's a pain because vines grow back every single time you leave the ruins. You leave for a half a day? Too bad they had time to grow back.

There's not much reason to stay in Hamlet. I start in RoG, I stop the Aporkalypse, I get the Key to the City and I go back to RoG.

yea i completly agree with you . i expected somthing big from hamlet , maybe highly advanced tech from ancients thats lied behind jungles or beneath ruins , that need to be discoverd and  to gaining that need to kill some big boss , gathering some valubale items around world ,...

but i see nothing just some relics !

first i think with introducing wagstaff we see such treasure ( and maybe bring it to dst world to help escaping ) but nothing !

1 hour ago, Ham3d said:

i expected somthing big from hamlet , maybe highly advanced tech from ancients thats lied behind jungles or beneath ruins , that need to be discoverd and  to gaining that need to kill some big boss

I mean you kind of just described the Ancient Hulk and his drop.

9 minutes ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

I mean you kind of just described the Ancient Hulk and his drop.

no i means something more beyond that , somthing that impact on lore ; and wagstaff would bring that to dst to help escaping !

it would be useful that thing put alongside opal gem , ancient gate , celestial portal !

Wow, this thread takes whining to a whole new level.

Obviously, the back shelves not restocking is a deliberate feature, intended for minor balancing. The same goes for almost all the other points raised (e.g the Ro Bin mechanic). That you don't need to go to the cave clefts more than once is a non-issue. The "waste of space" argument is particularly ludicrous. Besides, RoG also has areas that you will hardly ever go to in the late game.

I think Hamlet is an awesome, and very imaginative, addition to the DS series.

10 minutes ago, Majestix said:

Obviously, the back shelves not restocking is a deliberate feature, intended for minor balancing.

No, it is a promised feature which was never delivered.

10 minutes ago, Majestix said:

The same goes for almost all the other points raised (e.g the Ro Bin mechanic).

Please, go ahead and tell me how Ro-Bin is somehow better than all the other followers and him not having transformations or some innate perk to pay off for the extra effort required to obtain him is a fine balancing point which counteracts that. Ro-Bin is by definition worse than the other followers; more effort, less reward.

1 hour ago, TheOnlyGuyEver said:

No, it is a promised feature which was never delivered.

Please, go ahead and tell me how Ro-Bin is somehow better than all the other followers and him not having transformations or some innate perk to pay off for the extra effort required to obtain him is a fine balancing point which counteracts that. Ro-Bin is by definition worse than the other followers; more effort, less reward.

He is the only follower that can travel between worlds. Kind of a niche use though. At least he flies over water in SW.

46 minutes ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

He is the only follower that can travel between worlds. Kind of a niche use though. At least he flies over water in SW.

But his flight is slow, thus making him unreliable in SW since he gets lost easly. 

1 hour ago, TheOnlyGuyEver said:

Ok, firstly, you don't understand the meaning of the words "by definition". I recommend trying not to use words whose meaning you don't know.

Secondly, I think that the question "how is Ro Bin better than chester" (which in Hamlet he is, because he can fly over ponds) is irrelevant. They are available in different situations, so this comparison is moot. I do not follow the logic that every feature of a new DLC has to be better than any analogous features of already existing parts of the game. To call Hamlet unfinished because of that seems crazy to me.

It feels like Hamlet was meant to be a DLC where resources were scarse and you needed to spend a lot of time exploring just to get them, in reality you can buy most of the items with oincs you earned by pruning hedges. 

As it is now for me Hamlet is a failure in both concept and execution.

some other things that should be added to that list

-Wormwood can still only make use of his blooming perk a whopping third/fourth of the year. Not a big deal, but you'd think there would be something that lets you make more use of it.

-Pig guards still Baptize the city in fire when fighting something at night. Apart from the fact that this alone is highly illogical, They also put out any fires the player starts, meaning that they *know* the risk that fire holds.

-There's still no good way to deal with bat waves. Your only options are A. build a large amount guard towers, which have issues in their own right, and burn/cook any loot you get if the bats attack at night, or B. Elephant Cactus, which are much more efficient at dealing with the bats, but are only available in Shipwrecked.

BFB has 0 benefits on return visits. This may be more of a personal gripe, but if you're going to arrive every 2-3 hours, atleast give me a reason to want you here.

2 hours ago, Majestix said:

Ok, firstly, you don't understand the meaning of the words "by definition". I recommend trying not to use words whose meaning you don't know.

image.png.bf1d0b07d06623a150bfa7e7834e3847.png

Ro-bin is, by the definition of the word, less good and desirable than the other followers. He requires more effort to obtain and gives less in return. If people had a choice between him and any of the two other followers, they would never ever choose him. There's no reason to.

Secondly, I think that the question "how is Ro Bin better than chester" (which in Hamlet he is, because he can fly over ponds) is irrelevant.

No **** he's better than Chester in Hamlet, because you literally cannot obtain Chester in Hamlet, except through glitches. And, if you do perform the glitch and get him in Hamlet, he will teleport to you and follow you on water anyways, making your point about the water null. Even Packim would be better, hell, he can already fly over water as is.

I do not follow the logic that every feature of a new DLC has to be better than any analogous features of already existing parts of the game

I never said Ro-Bin needs to be better than the other followers, I said he needs to be equal to them.

You still dodged my question and have not given me a reason as to why Ro-Bin is legitimately on-par with the other followers.

Doesn't everybody build minibases in the temples if the floor is clear? It's great in the early game because you don't need a lightning rod and you can dry off easily without having to buy a shanty until you're ready to build a serious base. I try to have one of these on each of the islands, with a fire pit and a crockpot and maybe a few heals like mosquito sacs. You can duck in to get away from mobs, fog, or rain, dry out, heal up, make a new weapon or armor. Often they have pickable grass and plenty of twigs, or even a well. I just wish we could put lamp posts in them.

1 hour ago, Theukon-dos said:

Wormwood can still only make use of his blooming perk a whopping third/fourth of the year. Not a big deal, but you'd think there would be something that lets you make more use of it.

Thank you so much for pointing out that. I mean, in a RoG year, if I didn't miscalculate, there is 8 hours between the end of a bloom and the beginning of a new one. As it is my preferred mechanic of Wormwood, it always bothered me. So I just go in SW or HAM to profit blooming there. Not ideal.

Hamlet is unfinished plane and simple

i believe its because

1 lack of funds

they gave out at least 1200 copies for free i mean its nice to be charitable Klei but that was simply too much you are still a company Klei like at most maybe a sizable discount or small things along the line but just giving away hundreds of copies that really hampered the profits

2 divided team

self explanatory they just lacked all their staff

3 due date...

the devs themselves stated that they aren't good with time constraints yet they still did one

i dont think Hamlet is salvageable it's just not going to make enough profit for the company i believe it may just be overlooked and tossed away like Warbucks

shame.

4 hours ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

Hamlet is unfinished plane and simple

i believe its because

1 lack of funds

they gave out at least 1200 copies for free i mean its nice to be charitable Klei but that was simply too much you are still a company Klei like at most maybe a sizable discount or small things along the line but just giving away hundreds of copies that really hampered the profits

2 divided team

self explanatory they just lacked all their staff

3 due date...

the devs themselves stated that they aren't good with time constraints yet they still did one

i dont think Hamlet is salvageable it's just not going to make enough profit for the company i believe it may just be overlooked and tossed away like Warbucks

shame.

TightBlankDromedary-max-1mb.gif

Honestly, I'm most disheartened by the fact that there was like, two people who made separate threads on how to make the Aporkalypse interesting, and it was pretty extensive. (all kinds of ideas to make it worthwhile)

Months later none of those ideas made it in. Aporkalypse was pretty much unchanged (other than the Ancient Herald drop and the infinite Aporkalypse) all the way to release.

Shame.

A couple of things here.

First of all, I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so. I ended up buying it anyway because I wanted to give it a fair shake, but only after it left early access because I only wanted to play it once it was complete. I'm only just getting into it right now but from what I'm seeing here on the forums it may not be complete after all. So I can't really look down my nose at people too much on this part.

Second, while I think some of the complaints I'm seeing probably have some validity, I've gotta tell you guys that I think your expectations have been a little too high, and not in a way for which Klei is solely to blame.

This comes in two parts: one, I don't think you have a realistic idea of what DLC should be. To read all of these comments, it looks less like you guys want DLC and more like you guys want a sequel, or an MMO-level expansion pack. I can already tell there's a decent amount of new stuff to do in Hamlet, even if it seems skim compared to previous DLC.

The other seems to be a lack of appreciation for the value of a dollar. You can argue that you don't enjoy the content, but if you don't think there's $7 worth of stuff already in this package, I really want to know where you think you can do substantially better dollar for dollar.

One might argue that the reason you have these expectations is Klei themselves, and on one hand, that's valid, because they told you this was going to be the price and they promised some stuff you haven't gotten yet, and that's not great; if you tell somebody you're going to do something you should probably do it, and if you don't end up doing it you should damned sure be ready to explain why. On the other hand, your expectations above and beyond just what specifically was promised seem kind of unreasonable, and for that part of your expectations you're basically giving Klei hell for giving you way more than you paid for on previous occasions, which kind of sucks.

Having said all of that, I think Klei is having a bit of a problem with ambition. I hope an explanation of what exactly is going on is forthcoming, because while I don't approve of some of the decisions they've made, I think they probably want to give everybody an enjoyable, satisfying product, and knowing what went wrong and what's going to happen from here to reward that faith would be nice.

2 hours ago, Faintly Macabre said:

A couple of things here.

First of all, I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so. I ended up buying it anyway because I wanted to give it a fair shake, but only after it left early access because I only wanted to play it once it was complete. I'm only just getting into it right now but from what I'm seeing here on the forums it may not be complete after all. So I can't really look down my nose at people too much on this part.

Second, while I think some of the complaints I'm seeing probably have some validity, I've gotta tell you guys that I think your expectations have been a little too high, and not in a way for which Klei is solely to blame.

This comes in two parts: one, I don't think you have a realistic idea of what DLC should be. To read all of these comments, it looks less like you guys want DLC and more like you guys want a sequel, or an MMO-level expansion pack. I can already tell there's a decent amount of new stuff to do in Hamlet, even if it seems skim compared to previous DLC.

The other seems to be a lack of appreciation for the value of a dollar. You can argue that you don't enjoy the content, but if you don't think there's $7 worth of stuff already in this package, I really want to know where you think you can do substantially better dollar for dollar.

One might argue that the reason you have these expectations is Klei themselves, and on one hand, that's valid, because they told you this was going to be the price and they promised some stuff you haven't gotten yet, and that's not great; if you tell somebody you're going to do something you should probably do it, and if you don't end up doing it you should damned sure be ready to explain why. On the other hand, your expectations above and beyond just what specifically was promised seem kind of unreasonable, and for that part of your expectations you're basically giving Klei hell for giving you way more than you paid for on previous occasions, which kind of sucks.

Having said all of that, I think Klei is having a bit of a problem with ambition. I hope an explanation of what exactly is going on is forthcoming, because while I don't approve of some of the decisions they've made, I think they probably want to give everybody an enjoyable, satisfying product, and knowing what went wrong and what's going to happen from here to reward that faith would be nice.

I don't see it as a matter of failed expectations. The community agreed long time ago that certain aspects of the DLC don't work very well, like the seasons for example. Between 2 and 3 months were spent trying to debug into existence multiroom houses, houses in other worlds and the beefalo riding system: features that can be seen only as extras, while the core gameplay of the DLC, with all its porblem, remained unchanged. 

Archived