QoL Upgrade Mk 3 Now Open For Testing! [320058]

29 minutes ago, Flydo said:

Have both with different properties could be a good idea

I will restart a game but not before new biomes come in the game

Oh boy, i just go to take a look, i love the new material screen, the job seem more easier to manage, some good other thing too

But they discretly insert new material, i can't wait for the new radioactive biome

image.png.cb4e9e1d8658623adab29f1711c97f36.png

As far as i see they add also a look helium, pyrite, mercury and some other material that don't have any proper look yet like bitumen

Ufff ,  this will be awesome 

52 minutes ago, Flydo said:

But they discretly insert new material, i can't wait for the new radioactive biome

As far as i see they add also a look helium, pyrite, mercury and some other material that don't have any proper look yet like bitumen

Oof. This be old stuff.

SUPER OLD. Pyrite is just gold amalgam, helium and mercury have been in the game as long as radium (ie since the first build).

And Bitumen came in sometime when the kiln was implemented into the game.

Just now, watermelen671 said:

Oof. This be old stuff.

SUPER OLD. Pyrite is just gold amalgam, helium and mercury have been in the game as long as radium (ie since the first build).

And Bitumen came in sometime when the kiln was implemented into the game.

yeah i know this in the element game since a long time but never see skin on it

57 minutes ago, Flydo said:

Thank you for wasting my time.  I fired up a new map and looked all over for it.  If you're talking about the debug spawnable stuff, it's been there for ages.

EDIT: Please be more specific in a release thread about what's part of the actual release, not what you screenshot in from debug.

Edited by WanderingKid
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, WanderingKid said:

Thank you for wasting my time.  I fired up a new map and looked all over for it.  If you're talking about the debug spawnable stuff, it's been there for ages.

XD sorry for you, never see skin on element radium (but i see radium in element since the beginning but don't go back  and see the skin on it)

Just now, Flydo said:

yeah i know this in the element game since a long time but never see skin on it

There's a lot of things no doubt.

Spoiler

radium.thumb.png.3a53332a580f7d89357b8d66b76d46a2.pngradium_0.png.83c6c821e42bfcf869686fee11e6fe8f.pngsolid_mercury.thumb.png.71bf145293070b1e0c931408a6a47582.pngsolid_mercury_0.png.9c8b84976249c3e3c5d0600d1ad78eac.pngsolid_propane.thumb.png.5dc0da9d6b8d69b9455f74247611dc13.pngsolid_propane_0.png.8845ba913f7a1e9dc24a14b51d25818b.png

None of these are actually in the game proper.

2 minutes ago, WanderingKid said:

EDIT: Please be more specific in a release thread about what's part of the actual release, not what you screenshot in from debug.

You can always check my thread and see if it's a thing or nah. 

#ShamlessPlug

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

There's a lot of things no doubt.

Reveal hidden contents

radium.thumb.png.3a53332a580f7d89357b8d66b76d46a2.pngradium_0.png.83c6c821e42bfcf869686fee11e6fe8f.pngsolid_mercury.thumb.png.71bf145293070b1e0c931408a6a47582.pngsolid_mercury_0.png.9c8b84976249c3e3c5d0600d1ad78eac.pngsolid_propane.thumb.png.5dc0da9d6b8d69b9455f74247611dc13.pngsolid_propane_0.png.8845ba913f7a1e9dc24a14b51d25818b.png

None of these are actually in the game proper.

You can always check my thread and see if it's a thing or nah. 

#ShamlessPlug

I promise i will be more specific next time, not used to go in debug mode since 1 year maybe, now just prefer discover when they add it, but heard for new biome make me like a child

Edited by Flydo
  • Haha 2

From testing the new steam turbine a bit in debug:

The steam turbine takes in steam over 125 degrees at 2kg/s, and output water at 95 degrees (2 kg/s). The power production is based on the heat of the steam consumed, with full power production (850 watts) reached somewhere around 195 degrees c.

The new steam engine would appear to be a win for simple engineering and heat deletion, but a big loss for power positive designs around aquatuners.

Edited by lee1026
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, lee1026 said:

The steam turbine takes in steam over 125 degrees at 2kg/s, and output water at 95 degrees (2 kg/s). The power production is based on the heat of the steam consumed, with full power production (850 watts) reached somewhere around 200 degrees c.

How does it get the steam? I'm assuming it pulls it from the room around (below?) it as 2kg/s is 2 air vents worth of piping... Have to ask since I'm at work for a few more hours... 

Edit: Also, is there a minimum steam/air pressure as well, or just the minimum steam temperature? 

Edited by beowulf2010

It gets the steam from below. The steam turbine needs to sit on top of a set of tiles, but it takes in air from one level below.

The thing stopped working when the steam dropped below 500g/tile, so there is still a small amount of pressure needed, but much less then the massive amounts that it used to need.

Doing the math on the 195 minimum for max power, it would appear that if you used an aquatuner to heat it, it would perfectly break even powerwise.

20190328182438_1.thumb.jpg.05bbe7c5af03d9a093938e29a346cedb.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, lee1026 said:

Doing the math on the 195 minimum for max power, it would appear that if you used an aquatuner to heat it, it would perfectly break even powerwise.

Which liquid did you assume for the aquatuner ?

Does it mean we can just seal our steam vents using insulated tiles and place a steam turbine on top to produce pipe-able water like it if it was a water gesyer ?

Edited by Lilalaunekuh

Does it mean we can just seal our steam vents using insulated tiles and place a steam turbine on top to produce pipe-able water like it if it was a water gesyer ?

Initial testing suggest that there is a minimum temperature of 125, so cool steam vents won't work, directly anyway.

I suspect, however, the new meta for cool steam vents are going to be heating cool steam up a bit so it goes over 125 and becomes water that you can use. If you use an aquatuner, it is even energy positive because you extract the thermo energy from 120->95.

Steam turbine has a limiter on the power.  At 195C it gets to full power.  The tooltip for the power provided is wrong.  When the 'fill' bar on the turbine drops down, you're getting less power because of cooler steam.

My larger concern, currently, is that even with insulated everything in a vacuum that heat builds up FAST in the turbine itself.  It's not using debris temperature as far as I can tell, but it's significant.  My only problem with it is the machine itself doesn't describe if it generates heat or not.

I *think* it's because of hot steam vents poking out the bottom are pushing more heat into the turbine, and if you put a local atmosphere in it'll start distribution once it gets past 'bouncing' the 0.1 degree high/low for the overheat/running to whatever it actually wants to be able to pull steam out at.  But yeah, you'll need a cooling system of some kind around the turbine or you'll need cooldown cycles.

EDIT: I don't know for sure what the cause is, all I can do is witness the effect and hypothesize.

Edited by WanderingKid

21 minutes ago, lee1026 said:

It gets the steam from below. The steam turbine needs to sit on top of a set of tiles, but it takes in air from one level below.

The thing stopped working when the steam dropped below 500g/tile, so there is still a small amount of pressure needed, but much less then the massive amounts that it used to need.

Perfect. Thanks from all of us that can't play with the new toys yet!

Oops, one more question. If we  heat the steam past 195C, does the extra temp just get deleted and "go to waste" without generating energy? 

Edited by beowulf2010

2 minutes ago, WanderingKid said:

Steam turbine has a limiter on the power.  At 195C it gets to full power.  The tooltip for the power provided is wrong.  When the 'fill' bar on the turbine drops down, you're getting less power because of cooler steam.

My larger concern, currently, is that even with insulated everything in a vacuum that heat builds up FAST in the turbine itself.  It's not using debris temperature as far as I can tell, but it's significant.  My only problem with it is the machine itself doesn't describe if it generates heat or not.

I *think* it's because of hot steam vents poking out the bottom are pushing more heat into the turbine, and if you put a local atmosphere in it'll start distribution once it gets past 'bouncing' the 0.1 degree high/low for the overheat/running to whatever it actually wants to be able to pull steam out at.  But yeah, you'll need a cooling system of some kind around the turbine or you'll need cooldown cycles.

EDIT: I don't know for sure what the cause is, all I can do is witness the effect and hypothesize.

My vacuum and ceramic sealed steam turbine is heating up very slowly, more like a battery and less like a, well, steam turbines of old.

I don't even know where to begin to celebrate... but whoever now claims that they do not listen or care about feedback will be beaten to death with extra soft cotton swabs by yours truly. Expect a very slow and agonizing death!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2