I do not like the idea of ​​a character for a challenge for Wes.

4 hours ago, BeliarBAD said:

imo its disrespectful picking wes in dst. if all players on the server agree its fine but otherwise i hate it

I do beg your pardon, but I am mystified when people find fault in playing as harmlessly underpowered characters (like in the case of using the FN F2000 in MW2) just because they're below the viability curve or considered non-meta.

On 3/18/2019 at 4:16 PM, x0VERSUS1y said:

What if... once per game Wes can eat his Pile o' Balloons and become a god (well, more than he already is atm, lets call it UberGod) invulnerable, omnipotent, and with mega-punching powers - for 5 minutes?! Then POP like a balloon: perma-dead! :rolleyes:

D: I got a new special move for Luffy: 1. First, he uses his Gomu Gomu Balloon, expanding his body. 2. Then he can use his Gomu Gomu Pistol (or use Zoro's sword) to puncture himself. 3. Then there will be a big explosion killing everyone! This move should be called "Gomu Gomu Bomb"!

O: Thank you for the interesting idea. But then Luffy would be dead afterwards!

https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/SBS_Volume_4

9 hours ago, Loopy Ouroboros said:

I do beg your pardon, but I am mystified when people find fault in playing as harmlessly underpowered characters (like in the case of using the FN F2000 in MW2) just because they're below the viability curve or considered non-meta.

That's the thing, he's not "harmlessly" underpowered. Not only does he add nothing to the team, but he's also more fragile, meaning you're probably going to have to revive him more often, and he eats more food, meaning he's putting that much more stress on the team to find food.

As already mentioned by KoreanWaffles Wes is not a real challenge, it's just a little more boring.
And as already said by everyone, it is useless for a team, if not harmful.
Moreover, as Viktor234 points out, Wes really has nothing that makes him unique as a skill / characteristic / potential.

In short, Wes is a failure from every point of view. Except that I adore Willow and would like to see her become optimal as soon as possible, I think Wes would be the one that would most urgently need to be reviewed. Absolutely.

50 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

That's the thing, he's not "harmlessly" underpowered. Not only does he add nothing to the team, but he's also more fragile, meaning you're probably going to have to revive him more often, and he eats more food, meaning he's putting that much more stress on the team to find food.

Everyone who picks Wes could also pick Wendy and contribute more to the team.

1 minute ago, Pop Guy said:

Moreover, as Viktor234 points out, Wes really has nothing that makes him unique as a skill / characteristic / potential.

I was more like pointing out that Wes is just Wendy 0.5 and you get the same Abilities as Wes if you pick Wendy instead. But Wendy on the other hand has reduced Hunger & Sanity drain, better statistics and improved Balloons.

13 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

I was more like pointing out that Wes is just Wendy 0.5 and you get the same Abilities as Wes if you pick Wendy instead. But Wendy on the other hand has reduced Hunger & Sanity drain, better statistics and improved Balloons.

So, Abigail is just "improved Balloons"?

On the topic, in my opinion the chosen character matters way less than the players' skill. No matter how much food you need if you can get that for yourself, and that goes for almost everything in the game. I usually prefer to pick a character that I have the most fun with, not the one that is the most useful/efficient/whatever.

But I agree that Wes as a character doesn't bring much to the team and I personally find him very boring. 

Yea, that was kind of the point. You could pick the draining, non-useful character in a team-based game and have less total potential/effectiveness...but outside of the rare meme pick, why would you? Even if many of the other choices aren't 'optimal', choosing them at least provides something. Even Woodie and Willow still have their niche uses, and Wilson is a bit better at Winter.
Wes is just kinda...there.

i don't like this argument
that some characters are better than other
YES, they are... in singleplayer/alone
but having a webber is good for making food early game
having a WX to explore the map faster is quite good
having a wicker to farm is really convenient
having a willow for 156564 bernies is nice to have.
having a wolfgang + wigfrid to kill everything in their way is nothing to complain about
and having a wilson for beard hair is better than killing beardlings
and having A WES to farm NM fuel constantly is really really helpful,
but i guess using a classic spear will do the job.

before any of you smart asses comment " oh i can do all that by myself nanaana " 
yea, you can, but not faster, and more effort, really couldn't care less if you kill BQ and deerclops day 1

<3

3 minutes ago, CrimXane said:

having a wolfgang + wigfrid to kill everything in their way is nothing to complain about

before any of you smart asses comment " oh i can do all that by myself nanaana " 
yea, you can, but not faster, and more effort, really couldn't care less if you kill BQ and deerclops day 1

<3

5 minutes ago, CrimXane said:

maxwell. summon a few shadow duelists and any other worker, permanent insanity, no need to blow balloons, no extra hunger drain, no weaker attack, and the one worker can chop/dig/mine while you are doing it, and when you are done you can kill off one of the duelists, kill a shadow, and you are right back to being sane. 

5 minutes ago, CrimXane said:

<3

here for example only wigfried:

webber is bad. you can kill all pigs and spiders and destroy their houses in the first few days while you explore the map with wigfried and you have like 200 silk, 120 monstermeat and 80 glands. thats in the first 10 days. later you go with wig in caves and kill all bunnies and destroy houses and build in overworld. there you plant some spiders and you have forever silk and glands for free. also you can feed 1 carrot to 1 bunnie and make them all fight and you get endless big meat, bunie puffs and carrots.

wx for faster map exploring wont work cause where did he gets lightning strikes so early. maybe if you get lucky but i dunno

wicker is always cool

if you have a wicker you dont need bernies from willow cause wicker farms tons of shadows all the time

wolfgang eats to much and is a scary girl. wig is best

hmm dunno for what you need beard hair but wig can tank 5 bunnies at once so easy peasy...

yea like i said if you have a wicker you never need to worry about nm

so my friend dont take me to serious :p

1 hour ago, Shpee said:

maxwell. summon a few shadow duelists and any other worker, permanent insanity, no need to blow balloons, no extra hunger drain, no weaker attack, and the one worker can chop/dig/mine while you are doing it, and when you are done you can kill off one of the duelists, kill a shadow, and you are right back to being sane. 

who

I love challenge characters, and really hope they can bring out the challenge in Wes better in a re-work than his in his current form.

1 - Why isn't Wes the lowest health in the game?  Clearly an oversight.

2 - Remove his damage penalty.  This doesn't make him hard, it just makes his grind take longer.  Why spend 2 days and 4 dark swords fighting bee queen when you can spend 3 days and 5 dark swords!  no...

3 - Remove the hunger penalty.  This is one of the worst penalties in the game.  Anyone else disappointed Winona's rework included a hunger penalty?  yuk

4 - Focus on his core concept.  Mime, balloon-o-mancy, has trouble staying alive.

I think reducing his health to 50 is a good starting point for his rework.  Make it so that all healing is received slowly, over time.  Gone is the crutch of chomping down blue shrooms, trail mix, or perogies.  I think this satisfies "has trouble staying alive" without making him a problem for the rest of the server.

I've heard some awesome ideas for ballooon-o-mancy and mime powers.  Some I like, others eh... but as far as character stats this is what I think ^

Here's a stat dump for all 773 US servers at March 22, 1:59 PM EST running version 315751:

965 players total, 813 using vanilla characters, 117 using modded ones, 35 players waiting in lobby to pick.

Character    | Playing | Percentage
-------------+---------+-----------
wilson       | 118     | 14.514145
wathgrithr   | 101     | 12.423124
wx78         | 90      | 11.070111
wendy        | 89      | 10.947109
webber       | 83      | 10.209102
winona       | 71      | 8.733087
wickerbottom | 67      | 8.241082
willow       | 54      | 6.642066
wolfgang     | 53      | 6.519065
waxwell      | 40      | 4.920049
woodie       | 30      | 3.690037
wes          | 17      | 2.091021

Mar 22, 10:23PM EST v315751:

Spoiler

1547 servers, 2632 players (2189 vanilla, 331 modded, 111 lobby)

wilson       | 321     | 14.66423
winona       | 277     | 12.65418
wathgrithr   | 275     | 12.562814
wendy        | 227     | 10.370032
webber       | 217     | 9.913202
wickerbottom | 213     | 9.730471
wx78         | 196     | 8.95386
wolfgang     | 122     | 5.573321
willow       | 116     | 5.299223
waxwell      | 114     | 5.207857
woodie       | 95      | 4.339881
wes          | 16      | 0.730927

While pick rates shouldn't be the solo reason for change, it does sort of point out that wes is pretty unpopular to pick.

Here are the rates for the seemingly two versions of the game for consoles:

Spoiler

Version 313130016, 57 servers, 82 players, 80 chosen, 2 in lobby:

webber       | 15      | 18.75
wickerbottom | 14      | 17.5
wilson       | 11      | 13.75
wx78         | 10      | 12.5
winona       | 7       | 8.75
waxwell      | 5       | 6.25
willow       | 5       | 6.25
woodie       | 5       | 6.25
wathgrithr   | 4       | 5.0
wolfgang     | 3       | 3.75
wendy        | 1       | 1.25

Version 313706002, 117 servers, 183 players, 174 chosen, 9 in lobby:

wilson       | 27      | 15.517241
wathgrithr   | 23      | 13.218391
winona       | 20      | 11.494253
webber       | 19      | 10.91954
wx78         | 17      | 9.770115
wickerbottom | 15      | 8.62069
waxwell      | 14      | 8.045977
wendy        | 12      | 6.896552
woodie       | 12      | 6.896552
wolfgang     | 10      | 5.747126
willow       | 5       | 2.873563

Note that at the time of snapshotting nobody on the consoles were playing Wes.

Wes could be a challenging character in single play, but co-op play Wes isn't "challenge character". He is an "useless character". What a shame that he's one of the main character, Klei. I hope the remake should make Wes high-risk high-return character instead of high-risk no-return character.

Archived