Winona Character Update & Drop System Changes

Everyone says how tragic the crying girl thing is.
Scared shadow Charlie wanting to be pulled out by her sister she hasn't seen in a (probably) long time, now that's tragic if you ask me. Can't see any good solution here. Winona getting pulled in due to Charlie's bipolar kicking in may sound good, because Winona wanted to find her, but well - now she's in constant and still couldn't meet Charlie directly.
If she'd have managed to pull Charlie out of the portal on the other hand... Well, I don't think that would end well either. Charlie has changed and it's pretty much impossible to return her to normal state (at least in real world). Quite a destructive force. Not to mention a lot of people would just get killed in darkness, Vashta Nerada style x) Fear power outages...

9 hours ago, Carl Z said:

How much time shall I keep online to get timed drops for every week?

I would be interested in an answer as well. 
The previous 4 drops took me around ~ 12 hours. The announcement posts says "a reasonable time", so I guess it definitely isn't more playtime?

I'm hoping there will be character shorts for everyone! The lore behind these guys has eluded me for almost three years!

Also, very excited to see the new character! I think he may have been the one who created the board and connections and stuff. Just hoping his abilities won't line up too much with Winona's.

11 hours ago, BerryGood said:

Yes, you are correct, my bad

Cheers

The probability won't ever reach 100%.

1-0.023 is the probability of not getting an elegant drop. Let's say you get 999 drops. The probability of not getting any elegant drop becomes (1-0.023)^999, which is 8e-11. Which means the probability of getting at least one elegant drop reaches 1-8e-11 which is 0.99999999992 (or 99.999999992%) for 999 drops. With only 15 drops, you do have a 29.46% chance of getting at least one elegant drop.

This is the right way to calculate chances of getting at least one elegant drop, and the way Viktor234 used. The more drops you get, the closer to 1 the probability is but it never reaches it, because (1-0.023)^x will only get closer to 0 the higher x goes, it will never be below 0 (which would be necessary for the probability to get above 100%).

17 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

Previously you were limited to four skins a week and had a chance of 0.005 to get an Elegant with each drop, so there was a chance of

1 - (1 - 0.005)^  4 = 0,019850499375 =   1,99%

to get at least a single elegant drop each week.

Now you can get up to 15 skins a week, and you have a chance of 0.023 to get an Elegant with each drop, so now there's a chance of

1 - (1 - 0.023)^15 = 0,294627610868 = 29,46%

to get at least a single elegant drop each week.

But on the other hand waveable items can now drop aswell so not every item will be tradeable on Steam or the Trade Inn.

Guess I'm beyond remedy.:(

Got 8 consecutive Common | Classy drops today, which is  (0.527 + 0.26)^8 = 14.7%

19 hours ago, Bigfoot said:

Hey everyone!

Today’s a big day for Don’t Starve Together. We have quite a few things to talk about today, from Winona’s character refresh, to some lore content, to a drastic increase in drop rates. 

Here we go!

Next of Kin
Every character has their story, and with each refresh, we will be revealing a bit more of their past. See what memories Winona has to share with you here:

Winona Refresh
Winona has been hard at work since landing in the Constant, and she’s invented a couple new ingenious tools! She can now construct a catapult to keep enemies at bay, as well as a spotlight to keep her and her friends safe from Charlie. Both of these gadgets are powered by her new portable generators.

Unfortunately, her hardworking nature is getting the better of her, and every time she builds something she burns a few more calories than normal.

winona_im.gif

We’re also launching the new Industrious skin for Winona, an Industrial-themed item set, and the classic Guest of Honor, Triumphant, Survivor and Rose skins are now all available for purchase. All owners of these classic skins prior to today are now upgraded to an “Heirloom” rarity, with full unraveling value (that is, an Heirloom Elegant can be unraveled for 1350 spool).

New Drop System
In addition to these new skins, we are announcing drastically improved drop rates for everyone. 

We want to make sure that players are able to earn skins and new characters in a reasonable amount of time. They previously could not so we felt the drop rate needed to be revised to reflect that. We are starting this new drop system before the first new character to give everybody a nice head start to earn spool before it’s release. 

The first thing we are doing is providing a daily item bonus. Each day you play, you will receive a drop simply by logging in. Secondly, we are doubling the amount of timed drops that are given per week to 8, up from the previous 4. Along with the daily item bonus, players can now receive a total of 15 items per week, nearly 4 times the previous amount.

And finally, we have increased the frequency of elegants and other rare items in the drop table. 

Our previous drop rates were as follows:

• Common: 68%
  • Classy: 23.00%
  • Spiffy: 6.00%
  • Distinguished: 2.50%
  • Elegant: 0.50%

Today, the drop rates are:

• Common: 52.7%
  • Classy: 26.0%
  • Spiffy: 13.0%
  • Distinguished: 6.0%
  • Elegant: 2.3%

Console Purchases
We finally have consoles able to purchase skins! This is a first step, we would like to be able to offer parity between PC and console on skins, but there are some technical details in order for us to support many different packages.

In the meantime, we’ve made the following bundles available for purchase:

• Complete Gorge Chest
  • Magmatic Bundle
  • Winona Deluxe
  • Contenders Promo Chest

Upcoming
We have lots more in store! Our first new character is launching later this month, new Twitch items are coming next week, and the first pass of our new content is coming in April. 

Enjoy!

So... after the rework will there still be 2 rarities for 2 skins or will the heirloom ones switch places with elegant skins?

wendy and abigail that relatives charlie and winona

and what does it mean 1,1,2 is the time when winona moves his finger with a screwdriver when he fixes a round thing

and how woodleks travels from the earth to a don't starve and back

Not sure where else to throw this, but here're some pretty gem graphics from the G.E.M.erator.

gems.png.4148832e5f3e6ab9fedfe337ca97f11a.png

...Iridescent Gems even have their own special pink shard and 'placed' graphics despite not being usable. :c

#JusticeForIridescentGems

Maybe we will be returning to this board with pinned pictures every time a new short is released, and we will "look into" a different picture each short. Maybe this person/detective will find out how the survivors got into the constant and will try to contact and/or help the survivors from the outside? Maybe they will find a way to get them out?

If you think about it, they might even be one of these new characters.

7 hours ago, JimmyJam said:

Asked for the image on the right... not the left. :/

Oh, that's from the Hamlet Roadmap, there will be 2 characters, 1 for DS (YES actual basegame)(has soundfiles labeled Wagstaff, who can that be tho...) and 1 for Hamlet

I love winona’s new stuff, but if i could give one suggestion, maybe a way to turn off either generators, or the things running on them when you’re not using them. Kind of like the ice fling. Just feels like a waste to have it running all the time...

2 hours ago, lifetheuniverse said:

...Iridescent Gems even have their own special pink shard and 'placed' graphics despite not being usable. :c

In the Celestial Update stream, they said they thought about using the Opal Gem to make the Celestial Portal, but decided that they wanted to keep it for something special instead.

1 hour ago, lakhnish said:

In the Celestial Update stream, they said they thought about using the Opal Gem to make the Celestial Portal, but decided that they wanted to keep it for something special instead.

perhaps something celestial but not the portal...

Archived